RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

rtwilli4

Jan 25, 2010, 3:37 PM
Post #1 of 12 (4366 views)
Shortcut

South America help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So it looks like I'll be spending 6 months traveling, starting in January. I'm getting married to someone who is not allowed into the US, so we'll be doing a family thing in Mexico or somewhere in central America followed by some climbing in Mex. Starting in Feb, we will be traveling wherever we want in Central and South America.

This isn't a climbing trip but there are things we want to do in every country so I figure if there are accessible areas in certain places then it will give me an idea of where to go, what gear to bring and how much I should expect to climb.

I climb anything, anywhere, and would love to do some long routes. However I understand that a lot of the rock down there is alpine and/or very remote and I won't have a regular partner and don't want to carry a lot of gear.

My soon to be wife follows up to 5.8 but enjoys hanging out at crags if there are others around. Not sure how much "cragging" there is down there.

What I really don't know is where to go and when... and how easy it will be to find a partner (we speak decent Espanol).

Thanks in advance... sorry to ramble.

Gmburns2000

Jan 25, 2010, 3:49 PM
Post #2 of 12 (4357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] South America help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hit me up if / when you get to Chile. From what I understand there is a fair amount of sport in the Santiago area anyway (there's also a fair amount of alpine / trad, too).

I haven't actually climbed there yet, but I've made contact with a few folks who I hope will show me the area (once I'm there - starting probably in early March for a year). I'm happy to introduce you to them or head out with you myself once I know where I'm going. I'll have my rack with me, so no problems there if you want to get away from sport and don't have any gear on your own.

Have fun on the trip otherwise.

i_h8_choss

Jan 25, 2010, 4:17 PM
Post #3 of 12 (4352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats on the marriage!

I was in South America about 5 years ago to bag some peaks, not so much for rock climbing, however, I heard about a sport crag near the town of El Chalten in So. Argentina. And also some sport and trad near Bariloche, Argentina. Sorry cant help much there, but it's a good lead. If your spanish is good, you could ask around at some of gear shops.

There is a lot of alpine/aid in the Fitz Roy area near El Chalten and massive volcanos all over Patagonia. Crampons/Ice axe(s) needed. A good area to bag some volcanoes is just north of Bariloche. Volcan Lanin and Volcan Villarica (still active) are pretty easy long day trips or overnighters.

The Fitz Roy area and Torres del Paine parks, both in So. Patagonia, is probably some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in the world! There is a classic 6-8 day loop trek in Torres del Paine.

A good camera and lots of memory can be very useful.

Have fun!

Gmburns2000

Jan 25, 2010, 4:23 PM
Post #4 of 12 (4348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] South America help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second Bariloche - that place was AMAZING!

rtwilli4

Jan 26, 2010, 2:13 PM
Post #5 of 12 (4304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] South America help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys. burns I'll def. hit you up soon. Those pictures are amazing! Haven't seen snow in a few years (Thailand) so it will be nice to get in the mountains again!

nattfodd

Jan 26, 2010, 3:12 PM
Post #6 of 12 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check the Cordillera Blanca for alpine, and Hatun Machay in the Huayhuash (2h drive from Huaraz) for a couple of hundreds of bolted lines in an amazing scenery. Single pitch, great rock, goes from 5.6 to 5.13, well worth the visit if you are in the area.

Gmburns2000

Jan 26, 2010, 3:48 PM
Post #7 of 12 (4284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
Thanks guys. burns I'll def. hit you up soon. Those pictures are amazing! Haven't seen snow in a few years (Thailand) so it will be nice to get in the mountains again!

Just to be clear, I only climb rock. I don't have any snow experience or gear, but that doesn't mean I won't meet folks who do. From what I understand, mountaineering is a much bigger sport than rock climbing down there.

Anyway, let me know when you're there and we'll get at it.

eug

Jan 26, 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #8 of 12 (4258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatever you do, don't hire Argentinian Gustavo Lisi as your guide.

Your could 'lose' your camera and it could very well be your last trip ever:

http://www.mounteverest.net/story/stories/TragedyonEverestNilsAntezanasstoryNov302004.shtml

nomadus

Feb 1, 2010, 8:57 PM
Post #9 of 12 (4219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If u can, go to Bariloche area, the season is dec-march, stable weather and stunning rock. Climbs both trad and sport Access to the rock is easy and u can find partners there. Second place with less commitment than Chalten area is Mendoza and place called Los Arenales. That's for Argentina. There is more stuff more north but later in the year. Chile has some awesome climbing but partners is harder to find.
Anyway check those websites:

www.stonedance.com
www.escalando.cl
www.picasa.com/patryk.rozecki

last one is my foto albums from trip around s.a in 2009.

rtwilli4

Feb 2, 2010, 4:45 AM
Post #10 of 12 (4203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nomadus] South America help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Patryk... but I couldn't open your photo album.

nomadus

Feb 2, 2010, 5:46 PM
Post #11 of 12 (4176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://picasaweb.google.com/patryk.rozecki

thats the one.

I forgot to tell You to go to Colombia, Suesca. Very cool climbing, place, people, atmosphere, eerything. Season is now. Easy to find partners, anyways if You decide to go PM me and i will send You some contacts.

p.

herbertpowell

Feb 2, 2010, 6:21 PM
Post #12 of 12 (4173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nomadus] South America help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely spend some time in Colombia. It is a fantastic country, friendly people, good prices, beautiful mountains, perfect weather in the mountains.

If you want some high altitude rock (about 5000meters), check out El Cocuy in Colombia. You can hire guides with horses and mules for pretty cheap to take you up to el pulpito del diablo.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook