RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

northcave

Jan 26, 2010, 8:15 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Via Ferrata Suggestions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can anyone recommend a website dedicated to Via Ferrata in Europe?

Basically I am a climber and so is my brother and I have the honour of arranging his stag do. His friends are fit and healthy but non-climbers and I thought it would be nice for us to go out and find a great route that we can all take part in.

Could anyone recommend such a route which you would regard as truly excellent in terms of excitement, length and scenery.

We would land on Thursday and then have Friday and part of Saturday before flying back Saturday afternoon. Ideally we would do a trip that would enable us to camp out overnight on Friday and finish up the route Saturday morning. This would be a nice touch I feel. As for the type of route. Something varied would be great. Something with gorges and yet get some altitude also with exposed sections.

Can anyone think of anything that would be ideal?

Cheers

Tim

jeepnphreak

Jan 26, 2010, 8:20 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [northcave] Via Ferrata Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try here

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=via+Ferrata

or this

http://www.exodus.co.uk/...holidays/via-ferrata

sbaclimber

Jan 26, 2010, 8:21 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

um.......Europe is a pretty big *country* (I feel dirty...), where exactly will you be "landing"??

JAB

Jan 26, 2010, 8:25 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

northcave wrote:

Basically I am a climber and so is my brother and I have the honour of arranging his stag do. His friends are fit and healthy but non-climbers and I thought it would be nice for us to go out and find a great route that we can all take part in.

Could anyone recommend such a route which you would regard as truly excellent in terms of excitement, length and scenery.

We would land on Thursday and then have Friday and part of Saturday before flying back Saturday afternoon. Ideally we would do a trip that would enable us to camp out overnight on Friday and finish up the route Saturday morning. This would be a nice touch I feel. As for the type of route. Something varied would be great. Something with gorges and yet get some altitude also with exposed sections.

Cheers

Tim

I am flying to America next week. Can you recommend some good crags? I am mainly interested in trad, but sport is also ok. Thanks!

sbaclimber

Jan 26, 2010, 8:26 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JAB] Via Ferrata Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JAB wrote:
northcave wrote:

Cheers

Tim

I am flying to America next week. Can you recommend some good crags? I am mainly interested in trad, but sport is also ok. Thanks!
.. FTW!!!
LaughLaughSlySlyLaughLaugh

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Jan 26, 2010, 8:29 PM)

johnwesely

Jan 26, 2010, 8:58 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JAB] Via Ferrata Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

JAB wrote:
northcave wrote:

Cheers

Tim

The plot thickens.

evanwish

Jan 26, 2010, 9:01 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Via Ferrata Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
try here

oh thats beautiful. ha!

northcave

Jan 27, 2010, 9:33 AM
Post #8 of 16 (2202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Via Ferrata Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
um.......Europe is a pretty big *country* (I feel dirty...), where exactly will you be "landing"??

The options are open... Literally anywhere. Havent booked the flights yet.

northcave

Jan 27, 2010, 9:38 AM
Post #9 of 16 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Via Ferrata Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
try here

Wearing a tad thin that one cock monger

sbaclimber

Jan 27, 2010, 9:57 AM
Post #10 of 16 (2190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

northcave wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:

The options are open... Literally anywhere. Havent booked the flights yet.
Okay...another question....
what time of year are you looking at?

A full Friday, and partial Saturday, is a very small window for what you want to do. Not to mention the very real possibility of bad weather.....

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Jan 27, 2010, 10:00 AM)

hansundfritz

Jan 27, 2010, 2:12 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done a few in the Dolomites. Most of them involve a fairly long approach -- sometimes over snow and ice (it's the Alps after all). If you base yourself at Cortina and use the cable cars, there might be some reachable ones. Just have to make sure you know when the last car comes down the hill at the end of the day -- or else you're looking at a much more serious outing. Good luck.

I_do

Jan 27, 2010, 3:04 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hansundfritz] Via Ferrata Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hansundfritz wrote:
I've done a few in the Dolomites. Most of them involve a fairly long approach -- sometimes over snow and ice (it's the Alps after all). If you base yourself at Cortina and use the cable cars, there might be some reachable ones. Just have to make sure you know when the last car comes down the hill at the end of the day -- or else you're looking at a much more serious outing. Good luck.

There's also plenty of via ferrata that start right next to the parking place with the tourist info which lends the gear across the road. For instance in the Otztal in Austria. This dude really needs to be more sdpecific about the area, 'the alps' doesn't really help

reno

Jan 27, 2010, 3:28 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hansundfritz wrote:

We did a few in the Dolomites summer before last, and there's one right outside Corvara that was just awesome. Mostly because at the top, there's a refuggio that served pomme frites and a lemon beer (see attached.)
Attachments: n583725368_789297_8735.jpg (73.4 KB)

nattfodd

Jan 27, 2010, 4:08 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a look at southern Germany, there's quite a few good via ferratas of varying difficulty, and access is very easy from Munich via train. Nearly all of these routes have cablecar access which cuts the approach entirely.

Around Garmisch-Partenkirchen, you have Alpspitze ferrata (moderate, nice summit, super easy access), Mittenwald (also moderate, downhill, bit longer day out). A worthy alternative is the Höllenthal route up Zugspitze, the highest mountain of Germany. It's got a bit of everything, including a (very easy) glacier crossing and some moderate ferrata. For the truly hardcore, Jubiläumsgrat is an amazing but very serious route.

Another possibility is to head to Oberstdorf and do the Hindelanger klettersteig. It's not excessively difficult but still a bit exposed and feels a bit more serious.

hansundfritz

Feb 1, 2010, 1:40 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bumping this thread b/c I just got this in my e-mail from Amazon. My old guidebook from the 1980s covered the whole of the Dolomites in about 180 pages.

Via Ferratas of the Italian Dolomites: Vol 1: North, Central and East (Cicerone Guide)
John Smith
List Price: $24.95
Price: $16.47
You Save: $8.48 (34%)
Release Date: February 15, 2010

Product Description
This completely updated Volume 1 of Via Ferratas of the Italian Dolomites covers the northern central and eastern Dolomites across an area stretching from Val di Fassa to Auronzo. Instead of grouping routes by mountain ranges, the book sets them out according to strategic valley bases, with some guidance on the best bases for attacking each of the routes. The authors, who have first-hand knowledge of guiding all the routes, have developed a completely new grading system, which strives to simplify an extremely subjective topic. Mountain ranges covered include Catinaccio, Marmolada, Sella, Puez Odle, Fanes, Tofane, Cristallo, Sesto, Sorapiss and Marmarole. Volume 2 covers the southern Dolomites, Brenta and Lake Garda.

ToySldr

Sep 28, 2010, 10:22 AM
Post #16 of 16 (1592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A great website is www.alavigne.net Lots of Italian via ferrata's and some GPS tracks. Great pictures too.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook