Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Information on Quito Rocodromo - Feb 2010
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

pyrfordpaul

Feb 3, 2010, 9:04 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1686 views)
Shortcut

Information on Quito Rocodromo - Feb 2010  (South_and_Central_America: Ecuador: Quito: Rocodromo_or_Complejo_de_Escalada)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I went to the Rocodromo in Quito yesterday afternoon.

Entry was $2, to rent a rope was $1, they also rented shoes, harnesses and belay equipment for $1 or $2. They sold chalk for $6, and gave me a tiny bit for free.

There was no staff member to belay. When I asked the woman at the gate in my basic Spanish, she said you always have to come with a partner if you want to climb high.

There is a tall structure, which is actually an apartment building. It has 3 main faces. Only one is not overhanging. The other 2 faces having more difficult routes on. There are 2 bouldering areas, with very good mat set ups. And there is a real rock, brick wall type structure with large metal bars at the top for anchors. This was like nothing I`d climbed before and I liked it alot.

There were some really good local climbers, apparently the Ecuador climbing team, climbing 7a, maybe. There was an English and Aussie guy there who live in Quito and climb there regularly, they were cool and friendly and I climbed with them.

I took lots of photos and will try to upload a few later.

Hope this info is helpful!

el_capitan

Feb 9, 2012, 8:20 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pyrfordpaul] Information on Quito Rocodromo - Feb 2010 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey,
I just accepted a job in Quito yesterday. I will be moving there this august of 12. I am an experienced rock climber from Colorado. Should I bring my trad equipment? Is there any actual rock climbing in ecuador? My search hasn't showed me much except for a little crack near quito.

Also, is there a climbing shop in ecuador? I'll probably bring my shoes newly resoled but was just wondering.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook