Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sidepull

Feb 23, 2010, 5:03 PM
Post #26 of 52 (3904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] New Five Ten high-top [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
sidepull wrote:
karcand wrote:
What is the purpose of the Hightop shoe

To limit the flexibility of your foot and thereby make routes/problems seem harder than they should. Honestly, I can't think of a rockclimbing purpose (please correct me) that is better achieved by limiting ankle mobility. It seems that this sort of design had more to do with the evolution from hiking boot to climbing shoe rather than any technical/physiological advantage.

I'm going to take a wild guess and blindly state that you must be a gym rat, sport wanker who spends more time wrestling pebbles than actually climbing... and most of your routes are only 1 pitch.
And you would be correct in assuming that I'm a ground up trad climber who can be an asshole at times.

I'm going to take a wild guess and blindly state that you've never pulled a move harder than v2 - oh wait, based on your profile I'm probably being generous. But I welcome the fact that you're a self-proclaimed asshole. Less work for me.

Seriously though, you might tout the benefits of a high top, and there are some. But I strongly doubt that those benefits were the genesis of its development. If you were going to make an evolution of the climbing shoe diagram similar to the common one seen of man - see below - then for the shoe it would go: hiking boot, high top climbing shoe, low-top lace up, slipper/velcro. This evolution begins with a path dependency - hiking evolved into climbing. But once climbing evolved as its own sport, the needs of climbing necessitated new innovations. Judging by your response we can see what part of the evolution chain you stopped at and, hence, why you cover your fragile ego by lashing out about simple comments regarding shoes that you don't understand in the first place.

k.l.k

Feb 23, 2010, 5:20 PM
Post #27 of 52 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] New Five Ten high-top [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
the_climber wrote:
sidepull wrote:
karcand wrote:

To limit the flexibility of your foot and thereby make routes/problems seem harder than they should. Honestly, I can't think of a rockclimbing purpose (please correct me) that is better achieved by limiting ankle mobility. It seems that this sort of design had more to do with the evolution from hiking boot to climbing shoe rather than any technical/physiological advantage.

I'm going to take a wild guess and blindly state that you must be a gym rat, sport wanker who spends more time wrestling pebbles than actually climbing... and most of your routes are only 1 pitch.
And you would be correct in assuming that I'm a ground up trad climber who can be an asshole at times.

I'm going to take a wild guess and blindly state that you've never pulled a move harder than v2 - oh wait, based on your profile I'm probably being generous. But I welcome the fact that you're a self-proclaimed asshole. Less work for me.

Seriously though, you might tout the benefits of a high top, and there are some. But I strongly doubt that those benefits were the genesis of its development. If you were going to make an evolution of the climbing shoe diagram similar to the common one seen of man - see below - then for the shoe it would go: hiking boot, high top climbing shoe, low-top lace up, slipper/velcro. This evolution begins with a path dependency - hiking evolved into climbing. But once climbing evolved as its own sport, the needs of climbing necessitated new innovations. Judging by your response we can see what part of the evolution chain you stopped at and, hence, why you cover your fragile ego by lashing out about simple comments regarding shoes that you don't understand in the first place.

Actually slippers came first. Or rather, slippers-- with felt or rope soles --were the first dedicated rock shoes in the Alps back in the late 19th century. The early tennis shoes that showed up on crags in Edwardian Britain were also low-cut.

The high-top climbing shoe appears to date from the 1920s. Bootmakers in Austria began to produce a light, high-topped mountain shoe with felt soles. (After the war, the same shoes, including models like the Kronhofer and Zillertal, adapted the new Vibram rubber.)

And in the 1930s Pierre Allain and Edouard Bourdonneau teamed up replace the standard gum soles of canvas high-top gym shoes with truck tire rubber, specifically for climbing at Fontainebleau.

Now a specifically down-turned and asymmetric commercial last didn't appear until the late 1980s, when Heinz Mariacher at La Sportiva began designing shoes for the new, overhanging face climbs that were starting to go up on Euro limestone.

So yes, the resurgence of interest in softer shoes was tied to sport climbing. Just as the return of high-tops is tied to a resurgence in hard trad climbing, especially on granite.

Caldwell developed the TC Pro specifically for the new 5.14 FFAs he's been doing on El Cap.

But I'm sure you'd crank all those V12 dime cruxes in yr Mythos.

Heh.

(This post was edited by k.l.k on Feb 23, 2010, 5:35 PM)

the_climber

Feb 23, 2010, 5:25 PM
Post #28 of 52 (3892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sidepull, Perhaps you need some thicker skin. There was no "lashing out", simply stating some opinions to stimulate debate.

(This post was edited by the_climber on Feb 23, 2010, 5:26 PM)

styndall

Feb 23, 2010, 6:17 PM
Post #29 of 52 (3872 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
the_climber wrote:
sidepull wrote:
karcand wrote:

[image]http://www.latrobe.edu.au/podiatry/Images/1%20Biomech%20pics/EVOLUTIONpics/evolution.GIF [/image]

I'm probably going to be beaten here, but I think pre-modern rockshoe Yosemite climbers used chuck taylors (high and low tops) and low top deck shoes as climb shoes, in addition to whatever mountaineering-type boots were available before. The development of climbing shoes therefore probably doesn't go:

hiking boot -> high top rock shoe -> low top rock shoe

but rather:

hiking boots, deck shoes, whatever tennis shoes/sneakers worked -> high and low topped rock shoes -> modern climbing shoes with both designs.

Someone with actual knowledge of these developments, beyond your entirely-unbacked postulation, and my mostly-unbacked postulation, should come in and show us, one way or another.

shimanilami

Feb 23, 2010, 6:54 PM
Post #30 of 52 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] New Five Ten high-top [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

La sportiva plans to release a lace-up version of the Katana later this year. You might want to wait for that.

styndall

Feb 23, 2010, 7:26 PM
Post #31 of 52 (3843 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] New Five Ten high-top [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
La sportiva plans to release a lace-up version of the Katana later this year. You might want to wait for that.

I may have downsized mine too much for this, but Katanas seem like they'd hurt in cracks. The shape has too much downturn, I think.

ryanb

Feb 23, 2010, 7:32 PM
Post #32 of 52 (3842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
the_climber wrote:
sidepull wrote:
karcand wrote:

[image]http://www.latrobe.edu.au/podiatry/Images/1%20Biomech%20pics/EVOLUTIONpics/evolution.GIF [/image]

The fact is that stiff blunt shoes, high top or not, were used to put up a lot of thin granite test pieces in the US. I climb primarily in anasazi and there are moves where I miss my old sportiva focus...a stiff blunt toe lets you front point on a thin edge using more then just your big toe like a modern pointy sport shoe...I actually switched from the mirua to the anasazi because it is not quite as pointy.

Alot of the people putting up the hardest routes on washington granite are holding on to a pair or two of old kaukulators for use on thin power edging:
http://www.8a.nu/...e.aspx?ImageId=43287

Pointy shoes have their advantages on pockets and soft or downturned shoes do let you pull out on positive holds more but shoes like this do have their strengths on certain styles of hard thin face.

ryanb

Feb 23, 2010, 7:44 PM
Post #33 of 52 (3836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:

The Barracuda was actually a lace up version of the Katana that a lot of people loved for crack and slab until it was discontinued due to the unavailability of the rubber used on the top of the toe.

My hope is that the new five tens will be stiffer and blunter.

petsfed

Feb 23, 2010, 8:15 PM
Post #34 of 52 (3824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] New Five Ten high-top [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
shimanilami wrote:

I may have downsized mine too much for this, but Katanas seem like they'd hurt in cracks. The shape has too much downturn, I think.

I have mine sized perfectly for crack climbing. Of course, the key is that my forefoot matches that of the shoe perfectly, so I don't sacrifice that much edging performance going a bit bigger for crack comfort.

shimanilami

Feb 23, 2010, 8:23 PM
Post #35 of 52 (3817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
shimanilami wrote:

The Katanas are actually pretty flat, at least when you size them as trad/crack shoes. The TC Pro is also based on the Katana, but with a stouter last.

skinner

Feb 23, 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #36 of 52 (3796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
Actually slippers came first. Or rather, slippers-- with felt or rope soles --were the first dedicated rock shoes in the Alps back in the late 19th century. The early tennis shoes that showed up on crags in Edwardian Britain were also low-cut.

The high-top climbing shoe appears to date from the 1920s. Bootmakers in Austria began to produce a light, high-topped mountain shoe with felt soles. (After the war, the same shoes, including models like the Kronhofer and Zillertal, adapted the new Vibram rubber.)

And in the 1930s Pierre Allain and Edouard Bourdonneau teamed up replace the standard gum soles of canvas high-top gym shoes with truck tire rubber, specifically for climbing at Fontainebleau.

Now a specifically down-turned and asymmetric commercial last didn't appear until the late 1980s, when Heinz Mariacher at La Sportiva began designing shoes for the new, overhanging face climbs that were starting to go up on Euro limestone.

So yes, the resurgence of interest in softer shoes was tied to sport climbing. Just as the return of high-tops is tied to a resurgence in hard trad climbing, especially on granite.

Caldwell developed the TC Pro specifically for the new 5.14 FFAs he's been doing on El Cap.

Bingo!

acorneau wrote:
I thought the Maximus filled that hole (giggidy) a few years back?

They appear to be quite a different shoe from the Maximus, which I have two pairs of and wouldn't wear anything else for aid or trad on limestone. Granted the hardest trad I've led with them was 5.10d, but absolutely had no problem with them, in fact I'd go as far as to say they are the best shoe I've ever owned.

I've been around for long enough to remember when the first EB's arrived, and what I've found over the years is, people can argue the merits and drawbacks of any shoe made. The long and short of it is, that the best shoe.. is the one that works best for you.

Adk

Feb 24, 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #37 of 52 (3787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] New Five Ten high-top [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
acorneau wrote:
Also a new stiff low-top, the Newton:

This seems like what i've been looking for.

Me too but ony because the colors are just dashing!
I wonder how it feels on the toes.

sspssp

Feb 24, 2010, 12:19 AM
Post #38 of 52 (3778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
sspssp wrote:
But if you have some experience and have built up some foot muscles, I think a low top is the way to go.
There's more to it then just 'some experience' and some foot muscles. Both my partner and I use hightop shoes for most of our climbing in the Canadian Rockies, Squamish, and the Bugaboos. Combined we have over half a century of experience and abusing our feet while climbing. Do we climb in low cut shoes? Sure, when the route calls for it. Most of our climbing tends to be on obscure routes and new ground... largely on new ground, where cleaning a route ground up, drilling from natural stances, and time consuming leads are the norm. That said, we find ourselves using the hightop shoes for the majority of our climbing. Often we are leaving the low cut shoes at home, even on casual cragging days. An exception for me are thin cracks where a narrow toe profile is a quality most hightops lack, not to mention thin cracks are not my best discipline. Comes down to personal opinion, physique, and the types of routes you are climbing in most situations. I leave grades out of that list for a reason. The average climber doesn't actually climb hard enough to out do the ability of their shoes.

I hear where you are coming from and I certainly have an each-to-their-own attitude. The particular grade doesn't matter but I was trying to counteract the "you need support on long trad routes" argument. If you only ever wear soft, low-cut shoes. Foot endurance will keep up like everything else.

I may not be able to out do the ability of my shoes (I'm sure there are plenty of hotshots who could outclimb me in tennis shoes). But I can still climb better in a sensitive shoe than a stiff one and get a better sense of how much weight I can get on the foothold before the foot slips off (although I realize that if I spent more time climbing in a stiff shoe, I would get better at it). For an alpine route that is as much hiking as climbing, I might wear a stiffer shoe. Otherwise, I just don't find any upside (for me at least) to choosing a stiff hightop over a softer low top.

Yea, granite doesn't tear you up as much. But I'll wear mythos for an all day desert tower route also. I don't find that the soft, low cut shoe causes my feet any problems. Now I do find that the desert sandstone causes the mythos a big problem, but all that does is up my replacement cost a bit.

cheers

(This post was edited by sspssp on Feb 24, 2010, 12:23 AM)

Partner angry

Feb 24, 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #39 of 52 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For an honest answer to your question. It's for hard and steep offwidths. Not the grovels but the hang off your foot type stuff.

Using half-dome as an example, I've done it in high tops. I'd take a pair of Defy's or Pontas if I went back.

All or almost all of the reasons given to you about high tops in this thread do not pass muster. They're simply preferences. What you said they do, hinder performance, is correct.

Pretty specific really.

petsfed

Feb 24, 2010, 1:12 AM
Post #40 of 52 (3753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] New Five Ten high-top [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What he said.

I don't wear hightops if I need high performance all around shoes. I actually sized my JBs to fit over socks, so I could have padding. They aren't super high performers.

skinner

Feb 24, 2010, 1:52 AM
Post #41 of 52 (3733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

That's an awesome shot!

the_climber

Feb 24, 2010, 3:41 AM
Post #42 of 52 (3712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] New Five Ten high-top [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skinner wrote:
angry wrote:

That's an awesome shot!
Yeah, no "high performance" at all from a high top.

Great shot angry!

the_climber

Feb 24, 2010, 3:48 AM
Post #43 of 52 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] New Five Ten high-top [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
the_climber wrote:
sspssp wrote:
But if you have some experience and have built up some foot muscles, I think a low top is the way to go.
There's more to it then just 'some experience' and some foot muscles. Both my partner and I use hightop shoes for most of our climbing in the Canadian Rockies, Squamish, and the Bugaboos. Combined we have over half a century of experience and abusing our feet while climbing. Do we climb in low cut shoes? Sure, when the route calls for it. Most of our climbing tends to be on obscure routes and new ground... largely on new ground, where cleaning a route ground up, drilling from natural stances, and time consuming leads are the norm. That said, we find ourselves using the hightop shoes for the majority of our climbing. Often we are leaving the low cut shoes at home, even on casual cragging days. An exception for me are thin cracks where a narrow toe profile is a quality most hightops lack, not to mention thin cracks are not my best discipline. Comes down to personal opinion, physique, and the types of routes you are climbing in most situations. I leave grades out of that list for a reason. The average climber doesn't actually climb hard enough to out do the ability of their shoes.

I hear where you are coming from and I certainly have an each-to-their-own attitude. The particular grade doesn't matter but I was trying to counteract the "you need support on long trad routes" argument. If you only ever wear soft, low-cut shoes. Foot endurance will keep up like everything else.

I may not be able to out do the ability of my shoes (I'm sure there are plenty of hotshots who could outclimb me in tennis shoes). But I can still climb better in a sensitive shoe than a stiff one and get a better sense of how much weight I can get on the foothold before the foot slips off (although I realize that if I spent more time climbing in a stiff shoe, I would get better at it). For an alpine route that is as much hiking as climbing, I might wear a stiffer shoe. Otherwise, I just don't find any upside (for me at least) to choosing a stiff hightop over a softer low top.

Yea, granite doesn't tear you up as much. But I'll wear mythos for an all day desert tower route also. I don't find that the soft, low cut shoe causes my feet any problems. Now I do find that the desert sandstone causes the mythos a big problem, but all that does is up my replacement cost a bit.

cheers

Good to see you have the right atitude about it! Best shoe is the one that works, right.
Drop me a line if your travels land you on the cold side of the 49th.

sidepull

Feb 24, 2010, 2:12 PM
Post #44 of 52 (3652 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
sidepull wrote:
the_climber wrote:
sidepull wrote:
karcand wrote:

I'm probably going to be beaten here, but I think pre-modern rockshoe Yosemite climbers used chuck taylors (high and low tops) and low top deck shoes as climb shoes, in addition to whatever mountaineering-type boots were available before. The development of climbing shoes therefore probably doesn't go:

hiking boot -> high top rock shoe -> low top rock shoe

but rather:

hiking boots, deck shoes, whatever tennis shoes/sneakers worked -> high and low topped rock shoes -> modern climbing shoes with both designs.

Someone with actual knowledge of these developments, beyond your entirely-unbacked postulation, and my mostly-unbacked postulation, should come in and show us, one way or another.

Your "postulation" is just as anecdotal as mine. Several histories of rockclimbing trace the roots from the alpine world (read: hiking large mountains) to scaling vertical faces and so they brought those tools with them. Read Muir's description of his early climbing exploits in Yosemite - he only had boots my friend (Wow! Now I've introduced just as much evidence as you did - do I get a cookie?). Lots of hard ascents were done in boots, so much so that people will often try to send the climbs using similar tools as the first ascensionist simply to experience the same level of difficulty. Moreover, the details you introduce in your example don't change the general trajectory of my argument. Again, from an evolutionary perspective, you expect to see mild mutations that appear and eventually catch on. The deck shoes would be these types of mutations. So, I'll concede that my model was over-simplistic but it captures the basic evolution.

Back to the major thrust of the thread, I willingly concede that any tool is useful in a specific situation and that some tools excel in a wider variety of situations. I think this thread admirably indicates that the high tops excel in a limited array of situations. That doesn't mean that this "limited array" doesn't include exceptional climbing and it doesn't make you any less of a climber for choosing to spend your time there.

the_climber

Feb 24, 2010, 2:57 PM
Post #45 of 52 (3646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sidepull, climbing and the evolution of climbing shoes has far more routes in Europe that Yosemite. Even the initial use of chockstones has more routes in the British and Euopean scene. I'll be the first to agree that Yosemite is the center piece of "American" climbing. However, it should not be used as the example for world climbing.

The use of felt and rope soled low cut shoe for hard climbing predates climbing in Yosemite. If you want a specific example of low cut shoes being used pre EB's, Conrad Kain used a felt soled shoe to climb the gendarme on the south ridge (Kain route) of Bugaboo Spire in 1916, a route that went unrepeated for many years. Even in Yosemite the “evolution”, as you call it, is closer to Hiking boot (as with all climbing), to a variety of lighter weight shoes both high and low top, to moccasins (some with a pine sap-charcoal sole applied for better traction), to cheep Japanese tennis shoe (predominantly low cut), to… All this happened before the appearance of high top EB’s with vibram rubber soles.
Even the beloved EB’s were European made.

Thread drift, yes, but a good one.

(This post was edited by the_climber on Feb 24, 2010, 4:02 PM)

hansundfritz

Feb 24, 2010, 3:32 PM
Post #46 of 52 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before the appearance of what we would recognize as modern climbing shoes, British climbers used three different sorts of footwear:

1. Nailed Boots: Essentially hiking boots with a variety of different types of metal pieces inserted into the leather soles. The key pieces were the edge nails, made of soft iron that were superb for edging on small edges. Great for edging, lousy for friction, and hard to fit into cracks. The classic Vibram sole pattern, interestingly, was designed to look and act like nailed boots. And the rubber Vibram sole helped to make the nailed boots obsolete. Tiso's in Edinburgh used to have a pair on display. If you think your old "big boots" were heavy....

2. Plimsolls: Basically low-cut tennis shoes. Better for friction and cracks.

3. Rope soles: These were developed for the limestone areas of the Alps, like the Dolomites. Not very popular within Britain itself from what I can gather. I have not seen any pictures of these, but they are usually described as "shoes" (not boots). Used on wet rocks, especially for friction. I think that the basic technology for these was borrowed from sailing.

I might also add a fourth mode: "stocking soles" -- where the climber would take off his nailed boots and proceed in his wool socks.

Sorry for the additional thread drift.

k.l.k

Feb 24, 2010, 4:38 PM
Post #47 of 52 (3606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
All or almost all of the reasons given to you about high tops in this thread do not pass muster. They're simply preferences. What you said they do, hinder performance, is correct.

Well, I understand what you're trying to say, but it is true that a good high-top performs better than a good low-cut in certain types of situations, and not just certain inversions.

Shoes offer essentially two different mechanisms for supporting the foot. A down-turned shoe works by curling the foot into a curved shape, so that as you weight the toes, the foot may begin to straighten out, but can't collapse because there isn't enough material to allow the foot to extend. That's great for power, and it's allowed makers to use very thin and soft midsoles and soles to increase sensitivity, but it's miserable on long routes or even long pitches for dimes.

When you size up in a down-ward lasted shoe, you basically give up the shoe's edging power.

The other mechanism is to build the shoe flatter, but with a much stiffer midsole that relies on the material under the foot to provide support. With this type of shoe, the climber can size "up" to a comfortable fit, and still have a supportive edging platform. The trade-off is a loss in sensitivity.

The stiffer the mid-sole, the more difficult it is to control or steer in a low-cut shoe. That's why low-cut shoes with stiff midsoles are so rare: In all the years I've climbed, only the Boreal Ace and the new Acopa and maybe the old Newton come to mind. The added material in the high-top not only adds to the torsional stiffness of the shoe, it also makes it easier to transfer some of the strain onto larger muscles of the leg.

That doesn't mean you personally shouldn't prefer a low-cut shoe, or a softer one, it doesn't mean that you can't smear instead of edge on yr dimes, and it doesn't mean that you shouldn't give up that edging platform for easier high-stepping and smearing.

But it does mean that Tommy Caldwell isn't delusional: He did push for the TC Pro because it performs better in the situations he had in mind.

So for an honest answer to the question, "why wear a high-top?" I can say that I grab my JBs when I am facing a long grind of dime edging near my limit; or on days when I'm doing stacks of mileage way below my limit. In each of those situations, the JBs perform better than my Merlins or my Testarossas or my slippers.

(This post was edited by k.l.k on Feb 24, 2010, 4:40 PM)

sidepull

Feb 24, 2010, 7:33 PM
Post #48 of 52 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
Sidepull, climbing and the evolution of climbing shoes has far more routes in Europe that Yosemite. Even the initial use of chockstones has more routes in the British and Euopean scene. I'll be the first to agree that Yosemite is the center piece of "American" climbing. However, it should not be used as the example for world climbing.

The use of felt and rope soled low cut shoe for hard climbing predates climbing in Yosemite. If you want a specific example of low cut shoes being used pre EB's, Conrad Kain used a felt soled shoe to climb the gendarme on the south ridge (Kain route) of Bugaboo Spire in 1916, a route that went unrepeated for many years. Even in Yosemite the “evolution”, as you call it, is closer to Hiking boot (as with all climbing), to a variety of lighter weight shoes both high and low top, to moccasins (some with a pine sap-charcoal sole applied for better traction), to cheep Japanese tennis shoe (predominantly low cut), to… All this happened before the appearance of high top EB’s with vibram rubber soles.

Just a few points:

1) My example pre-dates yours a bit - Muir was in Yosemite in 1868.

2) You're right, Yosemite is not the center of the universe and my example is entirely too narrow. That said, it was meant to show how slim the anecdotal evidence of the other poster was.

3) As I mentioned, my model of the evolution is by nature a simplification just as the image I originally posted is a simplification. If one were to account for all the different little innovations over the last 200 years or so of climbing and then average them I think my description would still be fairly accurate. It's an issue of forest v. trees.

I'm glad that people like high top shoes and I'm glad that there is a use for them. I still stand by original point that they're a pretty specialized tool and therefore their use is similarly context-specific. You'll also note that in saying that I'm slandering anyone or any style of climbing - you're the one that decided that was an appropriate tact.

styndall

Feb 25, 2010, 4:25 AM
Post #49 of 52 (3535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
the_climber wrote:

Just a few points:

1) My example pre-dates yours a bit - Muir was in Yosemite in 1868.

2) You're right, Yosemite is not the center of the universe and my example is entirely too narrow. That said, it was meant to show how slim the anecdotal evidence of the other poster was.

3) As I mentioned, my model of the evolution is by nature a simplification just as the image I originally posted is a simplification. If one were to account for all the different little innovations over the last 200 years or so of climbing and then average them I think my description would still be fairly accurate. It's an issue of forest v. trees.

I'm glad that people like high top shoes and I'm glad that there is a use for them. I still stand by original point that they're a pretty specialized tool and therefore their use is similarly context-specific. You'll also note that in saying that I'm slandering anyone or any style of climbing - you're the one that decided that was an appropriate tact.

The trouble here is that the above wasn't your original point at all. Here's your original point:

In reply to:

Also, your evolutionary metaphor is a weird one for product development. There's no actual connection between descent with modification and making shoes.

vegastradguy

Feb 25, 2010, 7:15 AM
Post #50 of 52 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

holy shit, are you guys still having a debate on the usefulness of high top climbing shoes? how can this possibly still be going on?

caldwell climbs in them, therefore, they must have some use for some climbers.

he also climbs in lowtops, therefore, those types of shoes must have some use for some climbers.

the end.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook