RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Craigmnoyes

Feb 28, 2010, 2:47 AM
Post #1 of 14 (2707 views)
Shortcut

Buying gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I've done bouldering for a number of years and I'm just getting more and more convinced that to be safe and to go farther I need to get some equipment. I've had shoes for a while, but i just got a harness and a chalk bag. But i don't know where to go from there. I have belayed once in an indoor climbing center, but i don't really have any access to a climbing center on a regular basis, but tons of access to real cliffs and rocks in northeastern Vermont.
Where do i start? I don't have much for partners either.
Thanks

moose_droppings

Feb 28, 2010, 3:03 AM
Post #2 of 14 (2703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Craigmnoyes] Buying gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Craigmnoyes wrote:
So I've done bouldering for a number of years and I'm just getting more and more convinced that to be safe and to go farther I need to get some equipment. I've had shoes for a while, but i just got a harness and a chalk bag. But i don't know where to go from there. I have belayed once in an indoor climbing center, but i don't really have any access to a climbing center on a regular basis, but tons of access to real cliffs and rocks in northeastern Vermont.
Where do i start? I don't have much for partners either.
Thanks

Sounds like your next investments would be a dynamic rope, biners, belay device and some webbing or static rope for anchoring a top rope. Reading and a good partner would go a long way to help you learn what to do with this gear.

Have fun and be doubly safe because...

ur gonna die!!!111
Wink

bill413

Feb 28, 2010, 3:14 AM
Post #3 of 14 (2689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Buying gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Moose - I think his next investments should be a good partner. This is hopefully not a monetary investment...

At this stage, the rope (and harness) won't do much good without a partner. Someone who is more experienced would be great. Or, you & your partner could invest in a couple of lessons.

Craigmnoyes

Feb 28, 2010, 3:42 AM
Post #4 of 14 (2670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's perfect!!! thanks for the info. Any particular book you would suggest? or really any book for beginners i can find on Amazon?

Partner packclimber

Feb 28, 2010, 4:00 AM
Post #5 of 14 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Check out climbing anchors by john long. Its a good book and should teach you some but NOT all of the basics you are going to need to know. I hope after a few years of climbing you might understand some of the princibles of roped climbing, but reading some of the books by people like long, lynn hill and others of that generation would most likely help you out,

Rudmin

Feb 28, 2010, 4:02 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [packclimber] Buying gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills goes over pretty much all of the aspects of rock climbing and mountaineering.

qtm

Feb 28, 2010, 4:38 AM
Post #7 of 14 (2639 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I like recommending Craig Luebben's Mastering Basic Skills book, its one of the better one's I've read. Freedom of the Hills is great if you're going mountaineering, but there's only 2 chapters or so on actual rock climbing, and if you've been bouldering for a while you probably don't need one of them. A lot of great info in there, it's an invaluable resource, but you're probably better off getting a basic rock skills book. Similarly, Long's Anchors book (2nd ed) is a great resource, but more than you might need if you're just slinging trees for TR or clipping bolts.

Lynn Hill's "Climbing Free" is a great read, but there's little if any instructional information in there.

Books are great, but you really should find a partner to show you, as it applies directly to the climb rather than a general description of how it should be done. But since you've got a little while before you can get out and climb, might as well read a few books!

As far as personal gear goes, you'll need a belay device, locking belay biner, and a helmet is recommended. If you can find someone to take you out climbing, hopefully they'll have a rope and gear. If not, you'll need at least a rope, couple locking biners and webbing to set up a toprope.

Do a search and you'll find a lot of threads about buying gear and brand suggestions. Or just wait a bit, one will pop up sooner or later.

carabiner96

Feb 28, 2010, 4:58 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's also tons of people climbing in NEVT, check out cragvt.org to find partners.

jeepnphreak

Feb 28, 2010, 3:58 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Buying gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
Moose - I think his next investments should be a good partner. This is hopefully not a monetary investment...

At this stage, the rope (and harness) won't do much good without a partner. Someone who is more experienced would be great. Or, you & your partner could invest in a couple of lessons.

dido, find a good trustworthy partner with gear. Learn what gear you can add to the mix and such.

moose_droppings

Feb 28, 2010, 4:23 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Buying gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What the hell is a "dido"?

moose_droppings

Feb 28, 2010, 4:27 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Buying gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
bill413 wrote:

dido, find a good trustworthy partner with gear. Learn what gear you can add to the mix and such.

It might be a little easier to find a partner if you got some basic gear to share.
Might be.

JakubBujak

Feb 28, 2010, 5:21 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [packclimber] Buying gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget the Self Coached Climber:

http://www.amazon.com/...rmance/dp/0811733394

jeepnphreak

Feb 28, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
What the hell is a "dido"?

oopse how about ditto.
coffee must not have fully kicked in yet. Wink

mr.tastycakes

Feb 28, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] Buying gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qtm wrote:
I like recommending Craig Luebben's Mastering Basic Skills book, its one of the better one's I've read. Freedom of the Hills is great if you're going mountaineering, but there's only 2 chapters or so on actual rock climbing, and if you've been bouldering for a while you probably don't need one of them. A lot of great info in there, it's an invaluable resource, but you're probably better off getting a basic rock skills book.

Seconded. FOTH gets way too much love on this site. For information on technical rock climbing, Leubben's book is much better.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook