RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

northcave

Mar 21, 2010, 12:06 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1126 views)
Shortcut

AT boots for climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Had my first attempt at ski mountaineering a week ago. Worked out well apart from the fact the pack was so bloody heavy it was almost impossible to ski.

I'm looking at ways to cut weight and wondered it anyone has had experience climbing in their touring boots so save taking mountain boots up as well. Obviously saving an extra 2kg is a lot. My crampons do fit my touring boots so no problem in that department.

Thoughts?

brokesomeribs

Mar 22, 2010, 5:09 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [northcave] AT boots for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have to do any extensive french technique (rolled ankles, i.e. when traversing a slope while on crampons) you'll be in agony. I wouldn't try any hard mixed climbing, but you should be ok up to WI3. I'm obviously making generalizations, but the increased weight of the touring boots plus severely compromised ankle mobility will both hinder your climbing.

What about skiing in your mountain boots? Silvretta bindings do this pretty well (Double check that - I'm not an AT junkie, I mostly use slowshoes here in the NE).

Ditch the tent, go for a bivy, or nothing at all. Move faster and ditch all the extra layers. Toss everything you didn't use on your last outing. Read Extreme Alpinism.

hafilax

Mar 22, 2010, 5:37 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [northcave] AT boots for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It entirely depends on the climb and the descent. What kind of climbing are you talking about? Alpine rock, mixed, WI, steep snow? Is the objective a peak, a ski descent?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook