Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ckirkwood9

Mar 2, 2010, 11:26 PM
Post #1 of 33 (33288 views)
Shortcut

gear storage PHOTOS
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There are quite a few threads on the topic of gear storage... but no photos.

Anybody want to post PHOTOS of their storage methods? ~ aside from dumping everything in a bin / leaving everything in their packs.

I want to build a gear closet and looking for ideas. There's a company that makes what is essentially wall-mounted webbing between 2 poles with hooks to attach gear. seems easy enough to make.

jeepnphreak

Mar 3, 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #2 of 33 (33224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ckirkwood9 wrote:
There are quite a few threads on the topic of gear storage... but no photos.

Anybody want to post PHOTOS of their storage methods? ~ aside from dumping everything in a bin / leaving everything in their packs.

I want to build a gear closet and looking for ideas. There's a company that makes what is essentially wall-mounted webbing between 2 poles with hooks to attach gear. seems easy enough to make.

I have a 50 Gallon rubbermade tub stuffed full of all my gear. The lid does not evan close, ha ha

ebag17

Mar 3, 2010, 12:28 AM
Post #3 of 33 (33203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in a dorm and this was what I came up with...

benmoreite

Mar 3, 2010, 12:42 AM
Post #4 of 33 (33188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not a photo, and not mine, but you should check out the set up that Steve House has in one of the Patagonia Tin Shed Videos.

I have no idea how to post a link to the video, but if you go the Tin Shed here: http://www.patagonia.com/...hed/index.jsp?ln=263 and then click on Welcome, then View All Stories, then Fall Issue '08, and finally Steve's Gear, you get a descent picture followed by a video that shows a good deal of what I assume is Steve's garage. His setup looks awesome!

billcoe_

Mar 3, 2010, 6:23 AM
Post #5 of 33 (33021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
I have a 50 Gallon rubbermade tub stuffed full of all my gear. The lid does not evan close, ha ha

Yeah - I have 3 of those tubs. And 2 milk crates...and a bucket full of relevant tools....and a wooden wine crate: all full full full. Then I got Metolius Rope bags for 18 of my 20 ropes, and tagged all the ends of them so I can remember what they are. Statics are yellow tags, dynamic are blue. Then I also have one of those hangy thingys in the other room too for quick access, but I should have gotten the larger one though. I'll get some pics up.

currupt4130

Mar 3, 2010, 3:00 PM
Post #6 of 33 (32962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebag17] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You look very organized. I put up two wire racks in my closet in my apartment and just threw it all on there. I like your ingenuity though.

(This post was edited by currupt4130 on Mar 3, 2010, 3:01 PM)
Attachments: DSC02651.JPG (144 KB)

marc801

Mar 3, 2010, 3:15 PM
Post #7 of 33 (32944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebag17] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ebag17 wrote:

Some call that extremely organized. Others call it either OCD or anal retentive.

shoo

Mar 3, 2010, 4:23 PM
Post #8 of 33 (32892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll try to get a photo up tonight, but I use an ikea rack screwed into a door frame (studs in a wall will work as well, but I have a door leading to my roommate's bedroom that obviously stays permanently shut).

http://www.ikea.com/...og/products/20152634

It's pretty much perfect for my needs. Ropes hang on the hooks. Everything else hangs on the metal rack bars. I can toss stuff on top as well. Helps keep everything super-organized. As a bonus, since it's hanging and in open space, helps things dry faster too.

I am able to get pretty much everything on there that I could need, including a full trad rack, trad rack, sport draws, 4 ropes, ice tools, crampons, harness, misc webbing and slings, and random other stuff.

My packs go on a coat rack, also open air for drying and easy access.

lena_chita

Mar 3, 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #9 of 33 (32846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
ebag17 wrote:

Some call that extremely organized. Others call it either OCD or anal retentive.

The draws look really new. I'm guessing the gear has not been climbed on much or often (yet?).

But as a mother of two kids, I applaud this organizational prowess in college-age guy and admire it in a wistful sort of way.

qtm

Mar 3, 2010, 5:06 PM
Post #10 of 33 (32830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
jeepnphreak wrote:

Yeah - I have 3 of those tubs. And 2 milk crates...and a bucket full of relevant tools....and a wooden wine crate: all full full full. Then I got Metolius Rope bags for 18 of my 20 ropes, and tagged all the ends of them so I can remember what they are. Statics are yellow tags, dynamic are blue. Then I also have one of those hangy thingys in the other room too for quick access, but I should have gotten the larger one though. I'll get some pics up.

I've got gear spread all over the place. A storage unit in the basement stores most of the big items (snowboards, bouldering pads, golf clubs, car camping stove, car camping tents, cooler) in various tubs and duffels.

Front closet has my standard climbing rack in my pack. Single and double roupes in a duffel. TR gear in a small duffel. Random extra gear in a big duffel, stuff I may need but don't usually bring along. Smaller bags for cookware, backpacking stoves, random stuff. Sleeping bags (unstuffed in pillow cases) on the top shelf. A couple other backpacks stuffed into a corner. Ice boots and poons there as well.

Under the bed are three bins with older ropes, big cams, sports rack, extra harnesses, cord, webbing, chalkbags, chalk, things I don't need. There's also another snowboard there, and my ice tools are next to the bed (really, I just haven't found a good spot for them yet).

Another closet has backpacking tents (unstuffed, in pillow cases), a couple more backpacks, archery equipment (not bowmaking equipment, that's in yet another place).

In the trunk of my car are a pair of climbing shoes, chalk bag, extra chalk, belay device (all spares in case I or anyone else forgets), sleeping bags (in case we get stuck on the road overnight), guide books (which I keep forgetting to take out).

Kayaks and kayak gear are at my parents in the suburbs, as are my bikes.

I would need at least a garage to store everything in one place... unfortunately they're hard to come by in the city. So I've got gear spread far and wide, tucked into any place I can find, like most of my friends here.

But I do admire the pics I've seen of gear closets! I'm a bit OCD myself, but also lazy... if I had the room to build one, I certainly would, but I also know that it would only look like that once a year when I get the fit to organize, the rest of the time it would remain in duffels and bins.

markc

Mar 3, 2010, 5:40 PM
Post #11 of 33 (32793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's an older shot of the gear closet on the third floor of our house. My only complaint is that it's on the third floor of our house.

The closet is unchanged from when we moved in, with hooks running around all three sides below the shelf. There are now some rubbermaid bins of clothes on the floor where the packs are. We've added a shoe rack to the top shelf to organize climbing shoes. That shelf also holds our tent, sleeping bags, headlamps and radios in a bin, etc.

Some of my primary gear that I use every time remains in the pack, then I just grab and add what I need for a specific trip.

Lazlo

Mar 3, 2010, 7:56 PM
Post #12 of 33 (32716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mrtristan

Mar 9, 2010, 4:48 PM
Post #13 of 33 (32464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is my system, made from PVC and threaded rod. About half my gear is on there, with half often being in a pack in my trunk. When my gear IS all on this thing, it still holds up great and looks freaking awesome.

My softgoods are in a giant bin on the other side of my [tiny] room. Or in the trunk of my car.

jrathfon

Mar 9, 2010, 5:15 PM
Post #14 of 33 (32445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrtristan] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mrtristan wrote:
[image]http://www.mountainproject.com/images/56/43/106385643_large_e382b8.jpg[/image]

This is my system, made from PVC and threaded rod. About half my gear is on there, with half often being in a pack in my trunk. When my gear IS all on this thing, it still holds up great and looks freaking awesome.

My softgoods are in a giant bin on the other side of my [tiny] room. Or in the trunk of my car.

The only problem I see with this system and other similar systems, is there's no "grab and go" option here. If you want a slew of pieces you have to individually unrack and rack each piece. You might be able to merge the first photo idea on this thread (with the cord loops) with shoulder slings that you can grab and go from each tier in the closet.

I sort and store my stuff on many 12" slings by discipline. I each of these on individual slings which I hang in my wire racked closet:

cragging/onsight trad rack (nuts, double cams to #3)
cragging/trad draw/sing rack (gri-gri, atc, 6 draws, 6 trad draws, cordalette, 2 double shoulder slings)
sport rack (gri-gri, draws, leaver biner, ring)
aid paraphernalia (hooks, pins, heads)
extended rack (tiny cams, huge cams, tricams, bros, etc.)

that way if i'm in a rush on friday evening to pack (always) i can just grab and go the two or three slings i need for the weekend whether i'm tradding, cragging, multipitchin, sportin, aiding, off-widthing, etc.

oh and a headlamp in every pack's brain, so you always have one!

mrtristan

Mar 9, 2010, 5:22 PM
Post #15 of 33 (32436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jrathfon] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can see your point, but in practice (having used this setup for more than a year now) this hasn't been an issue. I mean how long does it take to unclip a dozen carabiners? Are you really climbing on such short notice and under such time constraints that you can't spend literally 30 seconds to grab the gear you need?

Also, like I said, I often have my normal rack (set of cams and set of nuts) in my pack ready to go. If I need anything else, it's easily accessible on the wall rack.

jrathfon

Mar 9, 2010, 5:39 PM
Post #16 of 33 (32419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, yes, I have a time constraint. I'm usually working to the last minute, doing research, running experiments, so I try to leave my gear in a state of grab and go to maximize both work and play.

And I find it's the hmmmm.... what do I need from this slew of crap on the wall, the larger hold up in time, course usually it's more like 4-6 dozen biners, not one dozen.

markc

Mar 9, 2010, 5:59 PM
Post #17 of 33 (32393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see both of your points. For me, it's a matter of laziness or a desire to simplify rather than a matter of the time involved. If I hung up pro individually, I have to unrack it when I'm packing for a trip, and rerack it when I get home. I'd also want it organized on the trip, which means throwing gear on a sling and draws/sings on another. Why not leave it on a couple different slings?

My rack is on one sling, quickdraws and other slings on another. All of my 1" webbing is clipped to two designated toprope biners. Headlamps, radios, and spare batteries are all in a bin I can easily sort through, but I like the idea of leaving the lamp in my pack. Things that always go just stay in my primary pack (harness and belay device, chalkbag, cordelette and spare biners, etc.). I can grab and go pretty quickly, but everything is hanging tangle-free between trips.

dbogardus

Mar 9, 2010, 6:42 PM
Post #18 of 33 (32344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see someone else uses the ol' trash bag on doorknob trick. I like your style.

jakedatc

Mar 9, 2010, 8:17 PM
Post #19 of 33 (32281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbogardus] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm a sling person too.. Sport draws on one, trad rack on one, trad draws on one. TR/gym rope in one rope bag.. lead rope in another bag. sorry for the shitty picture (woody inoperable at the moment due to junk to be yardsaled)

BirminghamBen

Mar 10, 2010, 5:05 PM
Post #20 of 33 (32182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jrathfon wrote:

I sort and store my stuff on many 12" slings by discipline. I each of these on individual slings which I hang in my wire racked closet:

cragging/trad draw/sing rack (gri-gri, atc, 6 draws, 6 trad draws, cordalette, 2 double shoulder slings)

that way if i'm in a rush on friday evening to pack (always) i can just grab and go the two or three slings i need for the weekend whether i'm tradding, cragging, multipitchin, sportin, aiding, off-widthing, etc.

This is what I do...all on single loop, padded gear slings...

Granite Rack on a sling...offsets, tricams, cams x 2.
Sandstone Rack on a sling....stoppers, tricams, cams x 2.
Desert Rack on a sling....two sets stoppers, lots of rigid cams, sublemented with other cams if needed.
Big Cams on a sling.
Trad Slingage on a blown screamer....goes with any of the above.
10 Draws on a open draw....for sport.

I use two harnesses perdominantly. Both have a dedicated belay device, nut tool, and daisy with locker. GriGri floats amongst all this.

All very fast to "grab and go".

yodadave

Mar 10, 2010, 5:24 PM
Post #21 of 33 (32168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BirminghamBen] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BirminghamBen wrote:
jrathfon wrote:

This is what I do...all on single loop, padded gear slings...

Granite Rack on a sling...offsets, tricams, cams x 2.
Sandstone Rack on a sling....stoppers, tricams, cams x 2.
Desert Rack on a sling....two sets stoppers, lots of rigid cams, sublemented with other cams if needed.
Big Cams on a sling.
Trad Slingage on a blown screamer....goes with any of the above.
10 Draws on a open draw....for sport.

I use two harnesses perdominantly. Both have a dedicated belay device, nut tool, and daisy with locker. GriGri floats amongst all this.

All very fast to "grab and go".

You have how many sets of cams??????????

BirminghamBen

Mar 10, 2010, 5:47 PM
Post #22 of 33 (32146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yodadave] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yodadave wrote:
You have how many sets of cams??????????

Too many...but it all goes toward efficiency...right, that's it.

karmiclimber

Apr 6, 2010, 8:37 PM
Post #23 of 33 (31519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are pics of my gear room that I just uploaded on my blog...

http://beautyandbiners.blogspot.com/2010/04/gear-room.html

shoo

Apr 6, 2010, 8:57 PM
Post #24 of 33 (31202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do I see not one, but TWO arc'teryx harnesses?

karmiclimber

Apr 6, 2010, 9:36 PM
Post #25 of 33 (23350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] gear storage PHOTOS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes. Ftw?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook