RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

AntinJ

Apr 10, 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #1 of 24 (16193 views)
Shortcut

Ruptured Distal Biceps Tendon
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sean: "That was loud, Did a hold just spin?"
Me: "Nope, that was my arm..." Shocked

So I ruptured my right distal Biceps tendon last night bouldering! First actual injury in 27 years of sports - I'll take it!

Any advice on surgery and recovery?

Should be good to go by Ice Season!!!

-Jason

scottek67

Apr 10, 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #2 of 24 (16186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AntinJ] Ruptured Distal Biceps Tendon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AntinJ wrote:
Any advice on surgery and recovery?
so you're looking for surgical advice on a dirt-bag website...Unsure this should be good for some laughs.Laugh you might have better luck here...http://www.climbingtrash.com/

AntinJ

Apr 10, 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #3 of 24 (16183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] Ruptured Distal Biceps Tendon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If this was my sole resource for surgical information, I may as well do the procedure myself with some dental floss, duct tape and my Petzl Spatha. However I have seen some reasonably well educated A&P/Ortho posts on here before, and surely there are others out there who've experienced similar injuries.

I studied sports medicine in college and have done some research regarding this type of injury. I'm just looking for surgery feedback from those who have been through it. Specifically, I'm interested in learning which surgical route people chose (bone bridge, two incision, single incision, tendon screw, etc...) and what a realistic time line is to be climbing again (based on minimal research and the ER Docs opinion, I'm looking at about 6-8 Months).

-J

(This post was edited by AntinJ on Apr 10, 2010, 1:23 PM)

el_layclimber

Apr 10, 2010, 2:40 PM
Post #4 of 24 (16165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you sure it's a full rupture and not just a very nasty partial tear?

AntinJ

Apr 10, 2010, 3:16 PM
Post #5 of 24 (16158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [el_layclimber] Ruptured Distal Biceps Tendon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

el_layclimber wrote:
Are you sure it's a full rupture and not just a very nasty partial tear?

Nope. However the ER doc was pretty convinced it was fully ruptured. I need to meet with the Ortho and get an MRI early next week to figure things out. A partial tear would be sweet, but the loud popping sounds during injury and the fact that my biceps muscle has receded towards my shoulder for the classic "Popeye" look is not a good sign...

el_layclimber

Apr 10, 2010, 3:23 PM
Post #6 of 24 (16156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oops, missed the part about the ER doc in your post above. Sounds nasty and extremely painful given what a partial tear feels like.

onceahardman

Apr 10, 2010, 4:30 PM
Post #7 of 24 (16134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Antin, the specific type of surgical approach is one thing.

The skill of the surgeon is another. My recommendation is to ask the advice of at least 3 highly recommended surgeons, and go with the procedure they recommend, based upon your specific injury, and your particular anatomy.

I would not seek out the surgeon, and tell him I'd like to do a certain procedure. I'd rather have him/her do what they are most comfortable doing.

Look for surgeons who work with professional or major college athletes.

Also, if you've been climbing 27 years, you are not a young guy. You won't heal like you would if you were 18 yrs old. 6-8 months might be a bit optimistic. I hope it's right. Judge by how your individual body is healing, not necessarily what the calendar says.

I have a (proximal-much more common and less disabling) long head biceps tear. I opted to not have the surgery, and it causes me very little trouble.

Good luck, whatever you do. Please post your choices and outcome, so others can learn from your experience.

AntinJ

Apr 10, 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #8 of 24 (16122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Ruptured Distal Biceps Tendon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
Antin, the specific type of surgical approach is one thing.

The skill of the surgeon is another. My recommendation is to ask the advice of at least 3 highly recommended surgeons, and go with the procedure they recommend, based upon your specific injury, and your particular anatomy.

I would not seek out the surgeon, and tell him I'd like to do a certain procedure. I'd rather have him/her do what they are most comfortable doing.

Look for surgeons who work with professional or major college athletes.

Also, if you've been climbing 27 years, you are not a young guy. You won't heal like you would if you were 18 yrs old. 6-8 months might be a bit optimistic. I hope it's right. Judge by how your individual body is healing, not necessarily what the calendar says.

I have a (proximal-much more common and less disabling) long head biceps tear. I opted to not have the surgery, and it causes me very little trouble.

Good luck, whatever you do. Please post your choices and outcome, so others can learn from your experience.

OAH,
Thanks for the insight. Unfortunately I'm only on my 2nd season of climbing, but participated in competitive athletics (College Football, MMA, BJJ, Baseball) through age 25 (I am 27 years old now). I'm pretty positive I plan on going the surgical route, but as you suggested - I need to meet with a few docs. I just wish they (Ortho-Docs) were open for business on the weekends so I wouldn't have to wait till Monday to start asking questions - But then again, what's two days in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks again for the thoughtful feedback.

-Jason

reno

Apr 10, 2010, 5:00 PM
Post #9 of 24 (16121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Ruptured Distal Biceps Tendon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:

I agree with that. When I needed neurosurgery, I talked to an ER physician I knew and trusted, and asked her for advice on trusted neurosurgeons. She told me "If it were my child, I would go see Dr. X, and do what he says."

The surgeon has spent years and years training to do what he/she does. Best bet is they'll make the best decision for your injury.

And, since OAHM is too humble to say it, I will: You'll also need a quality physical therapist to help you get back to function after the surgery. The doctor will attach the correct body parts, but it's the PT who will get those body parts working as well as possible. Find one, listen to 'em, and don't push yourself too far too fast. Stuff like this takes time.

AntinJ

Apr 10, 2010, 5:21 PM
Post #10 of 24 (16119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Ruptured Distal Biceps Tendon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

I agree with that. When I needed neurosurgery, I talked to an ER physician I knew and trusted, and asked her for advice on trusted neurosurgeons. She told me "If it were my child, I would go see Dr. X, and do what he says."

The surgeon has spent years and years training to do what he/she does. Best bet is they'll make the best decision for your injury.

And, since OAHM is too humble to say it, I will: You'll also need a quality physical therapist to help you get back to function after the surgery. The doctor will attach the correct body parts, but it's the PT who will get those body parts working as well as possible. Find one, listen to 'em, and don't push yourself too far too fast. Stuff like this takes time.

Thanks for the info Reno. I used to work closely with a PT when I worked in the health & fitness industry. I'll most likely reach out to her for Rehab advice.

-J

ClimbClimb

Apr 12, 2010, 6:31 PM
Post #11 of 24 (16049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very sorry to hear that. Hope you get patched up and heal soon.

For the rest of us, do you have any information, either on your own intuition or what you've heard since, on what caused that to happen? so the rest of us can try to avoid it, that is?

AntinJ

Apr 14, 2010, 2:22 PM
Post #12 of 24 (16010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbClimb] Ruptured Distal Biceps Tendon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbClimb wrote:
Very sorry to hear that. Hope you get patched up and heal soon.

For the rest of us, do you have any information, either on your own intuition or what you've heard since, on what caused that to happen? so the rest of us can try to avoid it, that is?

Oh man, I wish I knew!
I was bouldering indoors on a slightly overhanging problem. I had stretched for about 10 minutes prior and completed about 4-5 easier problems before jumping on that final route.

I was moving up and left with all 4 points of contact on the wall with my hands over-head on two holds about 4 feet apart from each other. My arms were both bent at the elbow at about 100 degrees. The holds were juggy, but required a pinch grip. My feet both slipped off the wall and as I tried to re-stabilize myself and get back on the wall, my body rotated slightly counter clockwise. After being suspended in the air for about 2 seconds from my arms I heard 2-3 loud rips/pops in succession coming from my right bicep. I knew exactly what I did as soon as it happened, but there was very little pain until I began the drive from RI to the ED in Concord, MA. Overall, the pain has remained relatively minimal when the arm is not in use.

I'm 27 5'10 and weigh about 215lbs. I have participated in competitive athletics (Football, Baseball, MMA, BJJ, etc.) my entire life and have been frequently climbing since the summer of 2008 without any debilitating injuries. I Exercise about 6-7 days a week, and spend about 20-40 minutes each day warming up and stretching thoroughly (dynamic & static). I have exerted my body to much more intense forces in the past through sports, training, etc so it was quite a shock to me that this happened when it did.

The Orthopedic Surgeon said he was somewhat surprised that I did not feel tendon pain in the weeks leading up to the incident, but explained that these do occur without notice or warning.
Yesterday I had a 90 minute MRI which confirmed a full Disruption of the right Distal Biceps Tendon. I have surgery on Friday morning to screw that sucker back in place (Single Incision Endobutton Procedure). I was definitely excited to learn from my doctor about new developments regarding this type of surgery over the last year or two, as they have drastically changed their methodology regarding recovery and rehabilitation protocols (Read up on this if it happens to you).

To answer your question directly ClimbClimb; I'm pretty shocked it happened as well and can't offer too much advice at this time as to how one might avoid it! The only comfort I can add to the average climber out there is that I am of larger build compared to the typical climber and participate in strength training often. I can only assume that this combination of activities led to additional stress on the tendon.

I'll leave it at that. If this happens to anyone in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me for additional info. I'd be glad to help.

-Jason

UPDATES:
4/9/2010 - Injury Occurred (Indoor bouldering)
4/16/2010 - Surgery (Single Incision w/ Cortical Screw a.k.a EndoButton)
4/30/2010 - Sling Off and Stitches Taken out
5/1/2010 - 99% ROM, still some stiffness and very mild soreness
5/28/2010 - 2nd Follow-up Dr's Appointment w/ X-Rays. Full ROM, Cleared to weight train with repetitions 12 or greater and Climb (with multiple points on the rock at all times)
5/29/2010 - Climbed for the first time since injury. TR'd some 5.8's & 5.9's and did an easy lead. Arm felt great.
6/2/2010 - Climbed again in similar fashion as before.

9/5/20110 - Climbing @ more than 100%
7/21/2011 - Climbing harder than ever with no pain.
*Also been doing my own rehab daily with more aggressive gym training 4-5 times per week. Feel free to inquire about my PT regimen.

An informative website: http://tendonsurgeryinfo.com/

(This post was edited by AntinJ on Jul 21, 2011, 2:46 PM)

ClimbClimb

Apr 14, 2010, 6:26 PM
Post #13 of 24 (15998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AntinJ, thank you for the detailed post. Certainly doesn't sound very different than what often heppens on boulder problems to countless other people -- maybe it was the slight twist. I would've thought that the fact that you exercise a lot and lift weights would make this sort of thing less likely, rather than more so. (Under my theory that injuries are more likely among couch potatoes who suddenly take up bouldering, rather than athletic people who take up routes and bouldering).

Sounds like you've gotten yourself a surgeon and a plan. Best wishes for your surgery Friday and speedy recovery.

mr.tastycakes

Apr 15, 2010, 8:32 PM
Post #14 of 24 (15974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Antinj, sorry to hear about your injury. Sounds like you should just file this one in the shit happens folder. Best of luck on the recovery.

AntinJ

Apr 19, 2010, 3:01 AM
Post #15 of 24 (15897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.tastycakes] Ruptured Distal Biceps Tendon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks MTC,

Got all fixed up Friday morning and now I'm cruising down the road to recovery.

See you out there,

Jason

Partner cracklover

Apr 19, 2010, 5:18 PM
Post #16 of 24 (15840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, AntinJ, sorry to hear it. Looks like you have an incredibly positive and sensible outlook on it, as well as a good foundation of knowledge. I can't help but think that all of those aspects make it more likely that things will turn out well.

Hope you heal quickly and thoroughly.

Cheers,

GO

curt

Apr 20, 2010, 5:08 AM
Post #17 of 24 (15797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, if I were you, I would contact the user here at rc.com "jgill." He similarly tore his bicep muscle off from its attachment point at the elbow, had it surgically reattached, and was doing one-arm pull ups again on that arm after one year. Oh, and he was age 50 when he sustained the injury. YMMV, of course.

Curt

Partner cracklover

Apr 20, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #18 of 24 (15771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Ruptured Distal Biceps Tendon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
Well, if I were you, I would contact the user here at rc.com "jgill." He similarly tore his bicep muscle off from its attachment point at the elbow, had it surgically reattached, and was doing one-arm pull ups again on that arm after one year. Oh, and he was age 50 when he sustained the injury. YMMV, of course.

Curt

And if things go terribly wrong, you might wind up like Bob D, who's missing a bicep, climbs 5.13, and has done more FAs out here in the Southwest than God.

GO

AntinJ

May 28, 2010, 6:40 PM
Post #19 of 24 (14923 views)
Shortcut

Update [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Six Weeks after surgery, this guy is cleared to climb. Woo hoo!

Myxomatosis

May 30, 2010, 1:37 AM
Post #20 of 24 (14890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AntinJ] Update [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd take it real easy for the first couple of sessions back and plently of rest between...

One thing I know about tendon's is they take ages to heal back to the original strength you had.

Good Luck Smile

AntinJ

May 30, 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #21 of 24 (14821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] Update [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Myxo,

Went out yesterday and TR'd some great 8's & 9's at one of the local crags and finished the day off with an easy lead.

The arm felt pretty good, but as expected there was a little *mental* hesitation at times.

All-in-all, it was great to get on the rocks again!

ClimbClimb

May 30, 2010, 1:43 PM
Post #22 of 24 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AntinJ wrote:
Six Weeks after surgery, this guy is cleared to climb. Woo hoo!

Great to hear! Best wishes for things continuing smoothly from here.

gblauer

Jun 1, 2010, 1:13 AM
Post #23 of 24 (14741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry to hear about your injury.

Partner cracklover

Jun 2, 2010, 6:27 PM
Post #24 of 24 (14688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fantastic news!

GO

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook