Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing in Utah
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jbk641

Apr 12, 2010, 9:58 PM
Post #1 of 19 (18820 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Utah  (North_America: United_States: Utah)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am planning a trip around may for the Park City area and Salt Lake City.. I have discovered that there is a plethora of places to climb in this area so I would like to get some advice on some good spots with intermediate routes as well as bouldering in this area...Any suggestions appreciated
Jason

altelis

Apr 12, 2010, 11:46 PM
Post #2 of 19 (18796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbk641] Climbing in Utah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jbk641 wrote:
I am planning a trip around may for the Park City area and Salt Lake City.. I have discovered that there is a plethora of places to climb in this area so I would like to get some advice on some good spots with intermediate routes as well as bouldering in this area...Any suggestions appreciated
Jason

trad or sport?

lets start there...

sidepull

Apr 12, 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #3 of 19 (18793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Climbing in Utah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uh, in park city? not so much. SLC, yes.

altelis

Apr 12, 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #4 of 19 (18790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Climbing in Utah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not sure what you are getting at seeing as the OP said "around park city and slc"...

sidepull

Apr 13, 2010, 12:13 AM
Post #5 of 19 (18784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me fix it:

uh, around park city, not so much. Around SLC, a lot.

Put more directly, Park City is not a good base camp for a climbing vacation.

altelis

Apr 13, 2010, 12:58 AM
Post #6 of 19 (18773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hehe. Woops. I got it now Blush

my question still applies- to the OP: trad sport or both?

Partner camhead

Apr 13, 2010, 1:16 AM
Post #7 of 19 (18767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This website is over a decade old. It has a huge routes database. Even with its drawbacks, it is fairly searchable for basic questions.

And you're asking if there is climbing around SLC? GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!

jbk641

Apr 13, 2010, 3:14 AM
Post #8 of 19 (18718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Climbing in Utah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sport climbing/lead climbing.

Really? I am so tired tonight Im just going practice tolerance with you...There is always one amongst you all that gets a boner anytime someone asks a question that you find redundant or simple...First the route comments are years old....For those that want to give me suggestions I respectfully appreciate it..for those that dont why do you have to say anything,,good grief...Im aware that there are alot of routes around SLC.....I am asking for some current recommendations based on my climbing and proximity to Park City,,,which is where I will be staying..So it will actually be my base camp,,not SLC.

Partner cracklover

Apr 13, 2010, 4:15 AM
Post #9 of 19 (18702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jbk641 wrote:
Sport climbing/lead climbing.

Really? I am so tired tonight Im just going practice tolerance with you...There is always one amongst you all that gets a boner anytime someone asks a question that you find redundant or simple...First the route comments are years old....For those that want to give me suggestions I respectfully appreciate it..for those that dont why do you have to say anything,,good grief...Im aware that there are alot of routes around SLC.....I am asking for some current recommendations based on my climbing and proximity to Park City,,,which is where I will be staying..So it will actually be my base camp,,not SLC.

Yeah, good point about the route comments being years old. Because all those old cliffs probably fell down, and new ones grew up in the places where there used to be valleys.

Actually, you'd better get there soon, or else SLC might move to a different area in Utah altogether! I mean, that's how things work, right?

GO

jbk641

Apr 13, 2010, 4:45 AM
Post #10 of 19 (18691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Climbing in Utah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I know that you were trying an attempt at making a point through sarcasm but the Wasatch front does have fault line and there are earthquakes there every week so things could change.....The point however is not that the routes are going to change but they could or they could not have bad bolts etc. If I wanted old advice I would have looked no further than the old posts...I did look and I wanted fresh recommendations... I looked for " routes near park city" ..there is only one thread and its from 2004.......Again,,,please if you dont have recommendations please abandon this thread so that in 6 years from now it may be useful to someone looking for a few simple recommendations for climbing in Utah

sungam

Apr 13, 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #11 of 19 (18676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How long will you be there for? Will you have wheels? Will you have a partner? Are you looking for longer multipitch trad, or sport? "lead climbing" makes you sound like you just stepped out of a gym, so I assume sport, which makes me think Big Cottonwood Canyon, American Fork Canyon, and Little Cottonwood Canyon bouldering (hehe, sandbag alert!).

Wunderkind

Apr 13, 2010, 1:21 PM
Post #12 of 19 (18654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've posted a ton of info on routes around here lately so it's there.

Also, you'll have better luck at MountainProject. Go there for beta on the Wasatch.

(This post was edited by Wunderkind on Apr 13, 2010, 1:23 PM)

Partner cracklover

Apr 13, 2010, 2:31 PM
Post #13 of 19 (18643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jbk641 wrote:
I know that you were trying an attempt at making a point through sarcasm but the Wasatch front does have fault line and there are earthquakes there every week so things could change.....The point however is not that the routes are going to change but they could or they could not have bad bolts etc. If I wanted old advice I would have looked no further than the old posts...I did look and I wanted fresh recommendations... I looked for " routes near park city" ..there is only one thread and its from 2004.......Again,,,please if you dont have recommendations please abandon this thread so that in 6 years from now it may be useful to someone looking for a few simple recommendations for climbing in Utah

If you want the latest up-to-the-minute comments on routes, get thee to mountainproject.com

GO

kennoyce

Apr 13, 2010, 2:55 PM
Post #14 of 19 (18630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So for everyone who is talking like park city is in a different state or something like that, it's all of 20 minutes from salt lake, so I think that staying in park city and climbing in the SLC area is pretty feasible. As far as recommendations, really it depends on you. If you want sport close to park city, big cottonwood is your place, if you want trad and multipitch, then I'd suggest little cottonwood. Also depending on how far you are willing to travel there are many thousands of routes within an hour of park city. Give us more info and we'll be glad to help. If you are looking for a partner, feel free to shoot me a PM.

sidepull

Apr 13, 2010, 3:12 PM
Post #15 of 19 (18623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Climbing in Utah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is some good climbing at the mouth of Immigration Canyon, but it's only a hour or two worth of routes. Park City does put you closer to the Uintas and there has been some recent development there, but it's likely still going to be snowed in. Sorry, Park City isn't the best base camp for climbing. Unsure

jbk641

Apr 14, 2010, 1:40 AM
Post #16 of 19 (18597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will have transportation. I am planning on coming in late May. I plan on bouldering and lead climbing. I have not done any trad climbing yet. Im a gym climber but am really trying to get out this year and climb in some of my favorite areas. Thats why I planned on going to Park City...I think with all the suggestions I have been given I can research further some routes near Big Cottonwood Canyon and then I think I will branch out from there.

sidepull

Apr 14, 2010, 1:59 AM
Post #17 of 19 (18592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jbk641 wrote:
... Im a gym climber but am really trying to get out this year and climb in some of my favorite areas. Thats why I planned on going to Park City....

Dude, every time you do that, my "troll" alert goes off.

Anyhow, you might want to put down the money for this:

http://www.amazon.com/...271210211&sr=8-1

BCC has so many crags that you'll get lost unless you have the book and/or a local to show you the ropes. I'm sure you can find a PDF bouldering guide for LCC floating around the web - there used to be a nice one from climbXmedia floating around the web.

Good luck.

marc801

Apr 14, 2010, 2:45 AM
Post #18 of 19 (18569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
There is some good climbing at the mouth of Immigration Canyon, but it's only a hour or two worth of routes.
It's Emmigration Canyon.

sidepull wrote:
Park City does put you closer to the Uintas and there has been some recent development there, but it's likely still going to will be snowed in.
The Mirror Lake Highway will not be open by then, either. The climbing in the Uintas is at ~10.5K, and the road goes to 10.7K. There is over 150" of snow right now at those elevations.

sungam

Apr 14, 2010, 10:03 AM
Post #19 of 19 (18543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Climbing in Utah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
So for everyone who is talking like park city is in a different state or something like that, it's all of 20 minutes from salt lake, so I think that staying in park city and climbing in the SLC area is pretty feasible. As far as recommendations, really it depends on you. If you want sport close to park city, big cottonwood is your place, if you want trad and multipitch, then I'd suggest little cottonwood. Also depending on how far you are willing to travel there are many thousands of routes within an hour of park city. Give us more info and we'll be glad to help. If you are looking for a partner, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Do it now, NOW! PM Ken! He is a great guy, and a fun climbing partner, definitely one to hook up with (and he knows his way around the area really well).

And stop calling sport climbing "lead climbing", it makes me want to slap you.

Happy climbing Smile

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook