Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Conditions report: Broken glass, loose rock, and damage to trail below "Raised by Sasquatch"
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

roninthorne

Apr 15, 2010, 2:34 PM
Post #1 of 1 (950 views)
Shortcut

Conditions report: Broken glass, loose rock, and damage to trail below "Raised by Sasquatch"  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: Seneca_Rocks_Region: The_Panhandle: Franklin_Gorge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Greetings, infidels...

Recently, entropy, wildlife, or careless climbers dislodged a fairly massive slab of rock below Raised by Sasquatch, in the process destroying a lot of the work done by volunteers to stabilize the steep hill below and creating a bit of an obstacle in the main crag trail below by lodging between a tree and the bank about two feet off the ground in the middle of the path.

On Saturday, while waiting for a no-show climbing party, your not-so-humble climbing curmudgeon took it upon his aging self to waste a perfect climbing morning and a quarter-tank of gas to drive to Franklin and extricate said rock, in the process creating a new step and more stable platform.

Good to see that all the folks who claimed that the only thing keeping them from working on the trails was my presence are as full of schist as originally posited.

I know, I know.... you were probably keeping that ditso progeny of yours from killing him/herself on another 4 bolt 5.8 sport epic, or bringing a lawsuit against the owners of some private crag who decided to close it because of the prevailing attitude of apathy among visiting climbers.

It's all about priorities. God forbid that any of the dozens of folks who scrambled over or around this fairly easy-to-solve problem should have strained their perfectly honed musclature or sensitive digits actually touching the ground, inevitably having to hang up their cell phone in mid-blog, or delaying their dog's relief at the base of Dynosaurus.

In other news, there is a large amount of loose rock on the trails, dislodged, no doubt, by the snows and wildlife climbing straight down the overhanging cliffs on their way to the river. there is a large amont of broken glass below the left side of the Parking Lot wall, signs of goodwill from the local paint-huffing NASCAR crowd.

The parking lot fire pit made a comeback, and although your n-s-h editor once again disassembled said pit and rolled some of the larger stones and debris out of the parking spaces, there is little or no guarantee that this effort lasted beyond that day.

If anyonje happened across a green and white rope, that day, a visiting climber lost it.... good score, you'll likely never see them again.

This concludes the Franklin conditions report for the week of Taxation without Representation.

You're welcome.

/R

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook