RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

dreamywanderer

Apr 11, 2010, 7:48 AM
Post #1 of 21 (10618 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge Experience
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi all climbers! :)

I only have basics in climbing and a level 1 certification. I'm wondering where I might be able to experience a portaledge climb within a short preparation from now till May? anywhere in the States. Thank you for your advice in advance. :)

USnavy

Apr 11, 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #2 of 21 (10602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreamywanderer] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dreamywanderer wrote:

I only have basics in climbing and a level 1 certification. I'm wondering where I might be able to experience a portaledge climb within a short preparation from now till May? anywhere in the States. Thank you for your advice in advance. :)

Well portaledges are generally only used on grade V and above climbs (climbs that take two or more days to finish). Most grade V and above climbs that require the use of a portaledge are aid. Well aid is the extreme opposite of basic climbing. Generally one would progress from gym to outdoor top roping to sport to trad to clean aid and then to hammer aid. That transition generally takes many years, most never even climb aid. So that said, your task is utterly impossible. There is no way you can go from top roping to multi-day aid in a month.

However if you just want to sleep on a portaledge, go buy one, rappel down a route and set it up.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Apr 11, 2010, 10:09 AM)

sungam

Apr 11, 2010, 10:56 AM
Post #3 of 21 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
dreamywanderer wrote:

However if you just want to sleep on a portaledge, go buy one, rappel down a route and set it up.
Judging by the "level 1 certification" comment, which I assume is some "outdoorsy" thing, I'm guessing broski here doesn't really know what's going on too well. Setting up ledges can be problematic to say the least, and unless you're sure it's set up right you probably don't want to sleep in it.
Just sayin', you might want to find someone who knows how to set one up and ask them to show you how or set one up for them.

Bad grammar/sentance structure/spelling 4 lyfe!!!

dreamywanderer

Apr 11, 2010, 6:38 PM
Post #4 of 21 (10531 views)
Shortcut

Re: Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey people!

thanks much man! all i needed was to know that i'm trying my best to try & get this awesome experience & not missing out anything. since this is the best i can get for now, i'd probably be back for it in a few year's time! :) have a good one! :)

evanwish

Apr 12, 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #5 of 21 (10450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was excited opening this thread, but now i've got the thread blues...

styndall

Apr 12, 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #6 of 21 (10446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

dreamywanderer wrote:
hey people!

thanks much man! all i needed was to know that i'm trying my best to try & get this awesome experience & not missing out anything. since this is the best i can get for now, i'd probably be back for it in a few year's time! :) have a good one! :)

You could buy a portaledge (or an army cot, a tarp, and some webbing), hang it from a tree, and sleep in it.

If you do it enough nights, you may build up enough XP to hit level 2 and unlock trad gear!

altelis

Apr 12, 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #7 of 21 (10435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
dreamywanderer wrote:

Well portaledges are generally only used on grade V and above climbs (climbs that take two or more days to finish). Most grade V and above climbs that require the use of a portaledge are aid. Well aid is the extreme opposite of basic climbing. Generally one would progress from gym to outdoor top roping to sport to trad to clean aid and then to hammer aid. That transition generally takes many years, most never even climb aid. So that said, your task is utterly impossible. There is no way you can go from top roping to multi-day aid in a month.

what a boring preprescribed way to go through a series of steps that assume some sort of "progression" toward some "ultimate goal". wtf dude, seriously.

TarHeelEMT

Apr 13, 2010, 1:23 AM
Post #8 of 21 (10405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dreamywanderer wrote:

I'm curious to know what a level 1 certification is.

Partner camhead

Apr 13, 2010, 1:35 AM
Post #9 of 21 (10401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
dreamywanderer wrote:

It means that you have read FOTH twice and can set up topropes on climbs up to 5.9.

guangzhou

Apr 13, 2010, 2:46 AM
Post #10 of 21 (10356 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
dreamywanderer wrote:

It means that you have read FOTH twice and can set up topropes on climbs up to 5.9.

Could come from the British system too. Places like Hong Kong and Singapore love to have certified courses for climbers. A nice money maker, but ...

Even more interesting is this site. When someone says they are beginner, people tell them to take a class or learn from someone more experienced. When they say they took a course, people slam them for taking a course instead of going out and climbing.

This guy was very clear. I know the basics. I took a level one course, which he might think everyone knows and I want to sleep on a ledge.

I've seen people sleeping on a ledge hanging from the belay of a sport route just so they can get a feel for it before heading to a real wall.

They had a nice plan, they climbed sport route side by side all day. The routes that were to hard, they aided, at the end of the day, the set up a ledge and slept, the next morning they did a few more routes. Worked for them, they had fun.

I saw a guy sleeping on a potaledge on Okinawa's USA beach. He set it up near the top of a tall boulder problem and slept there. He had fun, who am I to judge.

Of course, I am sure a climber judge me for setting up a ledge on Lurking Fear instead of doing it in a day.

(This post was edited by guangzhou on Apr 13, 2010, 4:06 AM)

TarHeelEMT

Apr 13, 2010, 4:29 AM
Post #11 of 21 (10337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
camhead wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
dreamywanderer wrote:

Could come from the British system too. Places like Hong Kong and Singapore love to have certified courses for climbers. A nice money maker, but ...

Even more interesting is this site. When someone says they are beginner, people tell them to take a class or learn from someone more experienced. When they say they took a course, people slam them for taking a course instead of going out and climbing.

This guy was very clear. I know the basics. I took a level one course, which he might think everyone knows and I want to sleep on a ledge.

I've seen people sleeping on a ledge hanging from the belay of a sport route just so they can get a feel for it before heading to a real wall.

They had a nice plan, they climbed sport route side by side all day. The routes that were to hard, they aided, at the end of the day, the set up a ledge and slept, the next morning they did a few more routes. Worked for them, they had fun.

I saw a guy sleeping on a potaledge on Okinawa's USA beach. He set it up near the top of a tall boulder problem and slept there. He had fun, who am I to judge.

Of course, I am sure a climber judge me for setting up a ledge on Lurking Fear instead of doing it in a day.

I asked because I was genuinely curious.

I'm currently in the process of gratuitously using my portaledge for the novelty as much as in preparation for my first Yosemite trip this summer.

davidnn5

Apr 13, 2010, 4:41 AM
Post #12 of 21 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
dreamywanderer wrote:

13,000 posts and all those years and time wasted. Back to campground with you.

Here's hoping the OP isn't scared off by the pointless shenanigans.

TarHeelEMT

Apr 13, 2010, 4:42 AM
Post #13 of 21 (10332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyway, hopefully the original poster hasn't been scared off already.

I'm not sure what a "Level 1 Certification" is, but I'd venture to guess that it's something of a basic introductory course to climbing.

The problem is that climbing with a portaledge typically is big wall aid climbing, which is the more or less the most intensive sort of climbing in terms of gear and technical knowledge. Aid climbing takes a solid foundation in traditional leading just to begin to learn. In other words, it's pretty far removed from just learning to rock climb.

I'm not trying to discourage you. It's just that sleeping on a portaledge is something that only very few climbers ever do, and only under specific circumstances. The vast majority of climbing doesn't require it. Those climbs that do require it are very technically challenging.

guangzhou

Apr 15, 2010, 5:56 AM
Post #14 of 21 (10211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
Anyway, hopefully the original poster hasn't been scared off already.

I'm not sure what a "Level 1 Certification" is, but I'd venture to guess that it's something of a basic introductory course to climbing.

The problem is that climbing with a portaledge typically is big wall aid climbing, which is the more or less the most intensive sort of climbing in terms of gear and technical knowledge. Aid climbing takes a solid foundation in traditional leading just to begin to learn. In other words, it's pretty far removed from just learning to rock climb.

I'm not trying to discourage you. It's just that sleeping on a portaledge is something that only very few climbers ever do, and only under specific circumstances. The vast majority of climbing doesn't require it. Those climbs that do require it are very technically challenging.

I agree, most climber will never do a big wall. Even those who do a big wall, many won't use a portaledge.

On a more interesting note. When i trained our boys in green, I taught them to aid climb first. They spent three weeks with me, by the end of day three, they were leading aid routes. They didn't do any free climbing until the ed of the second week minus some scrambling here and there.

When they finally learned free climbing, it was on lead, they didn't learn on top-rope. They knew how to place the gear, trusted the placement, and learn to fall during there first lead, which was also their first free climb.

The third week, they did their first wall with me watching, but not helping. Some advantages to training the military instead of civilians. (Insurance and liability being the big one.)

Point, I don;t think you need extensive trad climbing experience to learn to aid climb. You just need to learn to place the gear correctly.

shimanilami

Apr 15, 2010, 7:17 AM
Post #15 of 21 (10191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spend a night living on top of a park bench. Include a partner, canned food, headlamps, and cigarettes. Make sure you've got your harness on and that you're tied in. And don't get off in the morning until you've packed everything back up into your haul bag.

That will give you >90% of the experience.

guangzhou

Apr 15, 2010, 8:10 AM
Post #16 of 21 (10176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
Spend a night living on top of a park bench. Include a partner, canned food, headlamps, and cigarettes. Make sure you've got your harness on and that you're tied in. And don't get off in the morning until you've packed everything back up into your haul bag.

Only if you hang in a tree from your harness all day to simulate hanging belays. Then you would have the full experience.

sungam

Apr 15, 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #17 of 21 (10154 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
Hmmmm, I'm not convinced. That's like saying that climbing a re-creation of the changing corners pitch in a gym would be 90% of the experience of climbing the changing corners pitch. I haven't stayed on a portaledge, but having bivi'd on so not too but fairly exposed ledges I get the feeling that there would be something "more" to staying on a portaledge then just cramped, awkward, and slightly uncomfortable.

Partner camhead

Apr 15, 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #18 of 21 (10133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:

On a more interesting note. When i trained our boys in green, I taught them to aid climb first. They spent three weeks with me, by the end of day three, they were leading aid routes. They didn't do any free climbing until the ed of the second week minus some scrambling here and there.

When they finally learned free climbing, it was on lead, they didn't learn on top-rope. They knew how to place the gear, trusted the placement, and learn to fall during there first lead, which was also their first free climb.

The third week, they did their first wall with me watching, but not helping. Some advantages to training the military instead of civilians. (Insurance and liability being the big one.)

Point, I don;t think you need extensive trad climbing experience to learn to aid climb. You just need to learn to place the gear correctly.

This is a very good point, though a bit peripheral to this topic. I personally think that one of the best ways to learn trad climbing is to START aid climbing. Weighting every piece teaches you very quickly what works and what does not (as well as rope management and efficiency for multipitch free climbs). This gives you an insight into gear placements MUCH more than the traditional intro to trad approach, which emphasizes getting on really easy, low angle free climbs where you will rarely fall and almost never learn what gear works.

Partner xtrmecat

Apr 15, 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #19 of 21 (10109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shimanilami said 'I get the feeling that there would be something "more" to staying on a portaledge then just cramped, awkward, and slightly uncomfortable. "

No, that pretty much sum it up.

If you want the whole big wall thing, then there is much more, dig a trench by hand all day, non stop, eat while shoveling, and carry your goodies with you, only then can you get on the bench, when the ditch is dug all the way to it. That would be closer to the real deal.

Bob

MS1

Apr 16, 2010, 1:29 AM
Post #20 of 21 (10019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

This is a very good point, though a bit peripheral to this topic. I personally think that one of the best ways to learn trad climbing is to START aid climbing. Weighting every piece teaches you very quickly what works and what does not (as well as rope management and efficiency for multipitch free climbs). This gives you an insight into gear placements MUCH more than the traditional intro to trad approach, which emphasizes getting on really easy, low angle free climbs where you will rarely fall and almost never learn what gear works.

+1. That's how I learned.

jacques

Apr 16, 2010, 2:26 AM
Post #21 of 21 (10006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Portaledge Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I learned that way too. At the beginning, I slept on ledge. After, I use an hamac and after a portaledge. I think that sleeping on a wall is a skill as difficult and serious as climbing 5.11. In Quebec, two climber felt from the cliff because they didn't practice enought at the begining. As we slept on a ledge, we never thought to un rope from the belay because it was our only protection. Futhermore, I don't think that it is the time to learn how to use a portaledge on A-3 route. In the night, the wind can be very cold and climbing after a bad night could be dangerous.

What I learned by older climber and guide it is not how to climb hard. It is all that small trick that nobody think about but which can save your life.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook