Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

johnwesely

Apr 9, 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #26 of 64 (6650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] the new vs. the red [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
And WHAT is up with the Ale 8 love? Miguel's is like one big outdoor frat party in my book.

I actually enjoy all the spray and grandstanding at Miguel's. I find it endearing.

Its all fun and games until you are exhausted in your tent TRYING to fall asleep...and you keep hearing: "Hey Dude, do you want another BEEEEEEER?" "Bwahahahaha. Am I bro? Beer me that BEEEEER. After the way I sent today I deserve a fountain of BEER." "mumble mumble TITS." "mumble mumble BRO!" Its so annoying.

Sleep out in the field, then you don't have to deal with any of that.

karmiclimber

Apr 9, 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #27 of 64 (6648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] the new vs. the red [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I do when I go with the bf. I guess I just wish it was a cooler place...like the grasslands by Smith Rock <3

caughtinside

Apr 9, 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #28 of 64 (6641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
And WHAT is up with the Ale 8 love? Miguel's is like one big outdoor frat party in my book.

I actually enjoy all the spray and grandstanding at Miguel's. I find it endearing.

Its all fun and games until you are exhausted in your tent TRYING to fall asleep...and you keep hearing: "Hey Dude, do you want another BEEEEEEER?" "Bwahahahaha. Am I bro? Beer me that BEEEEER. After the way I sent today I deserve a fountain of BEER." "mumble mumble TITS." "mumble mumble BRO!" Its so annoying.

Earplugs are mandatory at any climber hang.

I tend to roll into popular climbing areas solo, so a place like miguels is ideal for meeting partners and a little social action afterwards.

Haven't been to the New yet but would love to check it out.

RyanJames1984

Apr 9, 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #29 of 64 (6634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apples and oranges...

jakedatc

Apr 10, 2010, 12:34 AM
Post #30 of 64 (6619 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

Sleep out in the field, then you don't have to deal with any of that.

I slept across the foot bridge near the pond and the only noise was the Peeper frogs. Even though they are freaking loud you kinda get used to them. never had issues sleeping 2 weekends and the week in between and it was packed. no ear plugs needed for me

Miguel is a great guy and deserves the support.

rock_fencer

Apr 10, 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #31 of 64 (6614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can camp anywhere in the forest!!

Partner camhead

Apr 12, 2010, 3:39 AM
Post #32 of 64 (6573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] the new vs. the red [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some idiot was telling dead baby jokes until 1:30am the last time I camped at Miguel's. And they were the lame, tired ones. I really wanted to yell out my really bad dead baby joke, followed by "now shut the fuck up!"

But instead, I just went home and vented about it on the internets.

hincking

Apr 14, 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #33 of 64 (6531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

yeah umm whoever doesnt like miguels pizza is:

A. not human
B. stupid cause u shouldnt keep eating if u dont like it
C. leave ale-8 outt of it hahahaha

and u can easily avoid ppl that are stupid at the red. its not that hard to jst walk away and go chill in ur tent if u are that against "bros"

curator

Apr 14, 2010, 1:56 AM
Post #34 of 64 (6514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] the new vs. the red [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hyhuu said "But if you climb 5.14s, I believe the Red has more to offer."

A common misconception. I just picked up the RRG gorge guide and the NRG guide. RRG has 8, NRG has 7....well, I guess you're right by a little.

5.13a and harder?
RRG-67
NRG-123

I find it intriguing that the Red has this reputation for hard sport climbing. Top athletes come from all over the world to climb at the red and they shun the New. Why?

The reality is that both areas are world class. The mystery is why on a beautiful weekend the parking lot at Miguel's is overflowing and 1000's of people are climbing at the Red while I'm out here alone at Endless Wall. Seems like the climber population would spread out a bit. Maybe people do climb for the numbers....

Partner camhead

Apr 14, 2010, 2:10 AM
Post #35 of 64 (6509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curator] the new vs. the red [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curator wrote:

A common misconception. I just picked up the RRG gorge guide and the NRG guide. RRG has 8, NRG has 7....well, I guess you're right by a little.

5.13a and harder?
RRG-67
NRG-123

I find it intriguing that the Red has this reputation for hard sport climbing. Top athletes come from all over the world to climb at the red and they shun the New. Why?

The reality is that both areas are world class. The mystery is why on a beautiful weekend the parking lot at Miguel's is overflowing and 1000's of people are climbing at the Red while I'm out here alone at Endless Wall. Seems like the climber population would spread out a bit. Maybe people do climb for the numbers....

Well, now that the NRG has a decent guidebook, I expect it will crowd up as well.Smile

hyhuu

Apr 14, 2010, 1:13 PM
Post #36 of 64 (6471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curator wrote:

5.13a and harder?
RRG-67
NRG-123

So which part of the 5.14s wasn't clear to you?

Partner j_ung

Apr 14, 2010, 1:27 PM
Post #37 of 64 (6465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The New River Gorge looooves all of you.

MS1

Apr 14, 2010, 2:37 PM
Post #38 of 64 (6447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As to the red, the guide is out of date and Ray is about to put out a new one. Redriverclimbing.com has more up-to-date info, and it lists 11 5.14 lines:

http://www.redriverclimbing.com/...xclude&Search=Go

currupt4130

Apr 14, 2010, 8:37 PM
Post #39 of 64 (6403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] the new vs. the red [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Shhhh!!! I like having Endless to myself most of the time. Here's my take on the RRG/NRG argument.

If you're a gym climber, go to the Red. All the climbs are bolted jug hauls with bolts 4 feet apart.

If you actually have some technique, go to the New.

If you like hearing about all the hard hang dog ascents, go to the Red.

If you like friendly conversation on a run down porch, go to the New.

If you like fighting crowds for bolted 5.10 and under sport lines, go to the Red.

If you like climbing 5.10 and under sport lines, you're still going to fight crowds at the New.

If you like lines that are similar and all pumpy cruxes, go to the Red.

If you like climbs with variety and thought provoking cruxes, go to the New.

Wait, what am I saying. Stay away from the New. That place is a choss pile.

Carnage

Apr 14, 2010, 9:31 PM
Post #40 of 64 (6383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curator wrote:

5.13a and harder?
RRG-67
NRG-123

i've always heard of the new as a premier destination for a 5.13 climber.

i've always heard of the red as a premier destination for juggy overhangs.

i guess people just assume that since there are overhangs its harder.

curator

Apr 14, 2010, 9:47 PM
Post #41 of 64 (6376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

After reading this repeatedly, I still have no idea what you are asking. Could you rephrase that?

I was simply trying to point out that 'the image' of the Red is that there are massive caves around every corner with 5.14's everywhere and the 'the image' of the New is that it's a bunch of slabs.

I thought that by pointing out that there was a difference of just one route between the two...
I stand corrected though as someone else has pointed out that after recent development there are 11 at the Red.

Still 7 vs. 11 is not that much of a difference. You'd think that some strong climbers would visit the New to sample the 7 that are here. I also thought it would shock some people to find out that there are twice as many 5.13's here....which I qualify as "hard" routes.

And yeah, I agree with the above post. Although I'm curious as to why the Red sees far more traffic than the New I do like it this way. It's what drew me to the New in the first place. Lots of solitude, no lines ever, friendly small community.

But hey, I live here and love it and it's my favorite climbing area in the world. That said I take a trip to the Red every chance I get!

hyhuu

Apr 15, 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #42 of 64 (6345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curator wrote:
In reply to:

After reading this repeatedly, I still have no idea what you are asking. Could you rephrase that?

I was simply trying to point out that 'the image' of the Red is that there are massive caves around every corner with 5.14's everywhere and the 'the image' of the New is that it's a bunch of slabs.

I thought that by pointing out that there was a difference of just one route between the two...
I stand corrected though as someone else has pointed out that after recent development there are 11 at the Red.

Still 7 vs. 11 is not that much of a difference. You'd think that some strong climbers would visit the New to sample the 7 that are here. I also thought it would shock some people to find out that there are twice as many 5.13's here....which I qualify as "hard" routes.

And yeah, I agree with the above post. Although I'm curious as to why the Red sees far more traffic than the New I do like it this way. It's what drew me to the New in the first place. Lots of solitude, no lines ever, friendly small community.

But hey, I live here and love it and it's my favorite climbing area in the world. That said I take a trip to the Red every chance I get!

What I meant was for 5.14 climbers, 5.13s are still just warm-up climb. I can't imagine what 5.14 sport climbers, if given a choice, would travel distance just to climb a bunch of warm-up routes.

Now if it's really only 7 vs 11 then there isn't that much of a difference. The last time I checked a few year back, the New only had a couple 5.14s and maybe that's the reason for the lack of visits. It's great to hear new hard routes are being put up because it's such a great area.

For what it's worth since I don't even climb 5.14 in my dream, I'm just pulling this out of my ass.

curator

Apr 15, 2010, 1:27 PM
Post #43 of 64 (6314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I hear what you're saying. But the nice thing about climbing 5.14 is that every route beneath that is climbable! So many options. Imagine what it would be like to walk the cliff and be able to climb any route you wanted.

And i would have to say that for 5.14 climbers, 5.13 is not just a warm up. They are still quite challenging. Especially 5.13d!

I will agree that if you onsight 5.14 the New would get boring in about a week. But there are a handful of guys capable of that. Everyone else could have months of fun climbing all the challenging 5.12 and 5.13 routes this area offers.

For example, Chris Lindner is one 'rock star' that has taken a few visits. While he was here he established one new 5.14 and spent the rest of the time climbing 5.13. He fell off quite a few of them.

Chris Sharma visited last year. He attempted a 5.14 project, didn't send it (It's still a project) and spent the rest of the time climbing 5.13. One particular 5.13d he fell off in a few places and didn't send. We are talking about Chris Sharma here! Likely the strongest climber in the world right now. So yeah, I would say it's a misconception to say that 5.13's are warmups for 5.14 climbers.

I am far from a world class climber but I have climbed 5.14. It sucks for me. It takes weeks of effort. I spend most of my time climbing obscure 5.11 to 5.13 routes along the miles of cliff here. It's awesome!

That's what I try to get across to people. There is sooo much climbing here and just because the grade might be 5.12b doesn't mean that Dani Andrada can't fall off it. Seriously, some of the routes here are incredibly challenging no matter who you are.

Then of course are all the projects. I would say there are about 20 already bolted projects that are hard, some are really hard.

Then back to the Red. Look at Sharma again, he visited, did a few 5.14's including what was then the hardest route, Lucifer. Then he set about to find new lines. He bolted that impossible looking cave at Drive-by. He didn't 'climb out' the Red in just a few days but I bet he would get tired of the established routes there far faster than he would at the New. If he were forced to pick a place.
Of course, he can pick a place and he has....Spain.

The funny thing about my stance on this 'devil's advocate' debate is not that the New is better than the Red. It's that they are equally amazing. Again, what intrigues me is why 90% (made up statistic) of climbers visit the Red over the New. Hmmm.

I think part of it (here comes the shit talk..) is that the climbing is hard here. It crushes the ego. When I go to the Red I rarely fall off 5.12 and it makes me so happy. When I go to Endless Wall I regularly fall off 5.11. I can think of three 5.10d's at the New that are harder than any 5.12d at the Red. Talk about an ego crush. Mr. bad ass 5.13 guy getting destroyed on 5.10. It scares people away. There I said it.
My belief is that despite people telling themselves that they don't climb for numbers, they do. Even if subconciously. No one can argue that it feels good to progress, to redpoint your hardest graded route. There is a far greater chance of that happening at the Red and I think that's why the traffic is there.

Another reason is that climbing at the Red is just more fun. It's social, which people like. You get to hang out at crowded crags and talk to people. I think we all like this more than we admit. Being alone in the woods with your partner is lame sometimes.

The climbing is steep and endurance oriented, i.e. fun. Technical New River faces are not fun for many people. It takes too much thinking and skin loss, and finger pain, and again, ego crush. Just my thoughts. Of course they are probably wrong....

johnwesely

Apr 15, 2010, 1:33 PM
Post #44 of 64 (6307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never climbed at the New because of how far away it is compared to the Red. Also, the climbing there looks fairly similar to the climbing here. The Red is completely different.

csproul

Apr 15, 2010, 2:24 PM
Post #45 of 64 (6292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is the Red farther from Georgia than the New?

johnwesely

Apr 15, 2010, 2:26 PM
Post #46 of 64 (6289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] the new vs. the red [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:

Yes.

csproul

Apr 15, 2010, 2:39 PM
Post #47 of 64 (6281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
csproul wrote:

Yes.
In reply to:
I have never climbed at the New because of how far away it is compared to the Red
Which is it? It take twice as long for me to get to the Red from NC than it does to get to NRG.

johnwesely

Apr 15, 2010, 2:58 PM
Post #48 of 64 (6274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] the new vs. the red [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
csproul wrote:

Yes.
In reply to:
I have never climbed at the New because of how far away it is compared to the Red
Which is it? It take twice as long for me to get to the Red from NC than it does to get to NRG.

Wait, I meant the New was farther away. Sorry. However, I looked it up and the New is actually closer than the Red from Athens. From Atlanta, the Red is closer. I am glad I could be confusing.

hyhuu

Apr 16, 2010, 2:31 PM
Post #49 of 64 (6218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I gotcha. Learn something new everyday.

curator wrote:
I hear what you're saying. But the nice thing about climbing 5.14 is that every route beneath that is climbable! So many options. Imagine what it would be like to walk the cliff and be able to climb any route you wanted.

And i would have to say that for 5.14 climbers, 5.13 is not just a warm up. They are still quite challenging. Especially 5.13d!

I will agree that if you onsight 5.14 the New would get boring in about a week. But there are a handful of guys capable of that. Everyone else could have months of fun climbing all the challenging 5.12 and 5.13 routes this area offers.

For example, Chris Lindner is one 'rock star' that has taken a few visits. While he was here he established one new 5.14 and spent the rest of the time climbing 5.13. He fell off quite a few of them.

Chris Sharma visited last year. He attempted a 5.14 project, didn't send it (It's still a project) and spent the rest of the time climbing 5.13. One particular 5.13d he fell off in a few places and didn't send. We are talking about Chris Sharma here! Likely the strongest climber in the world right now. So yeah, I would say it's a misconception to say that 5.13's are warmups for 5.14 climbers.

I am far from a world class climber but I have climbed 5.14. It sucks for me. It takes weeks of effort. I spend most of my time climbing obscure 5.11 to 5.13 routes along the miles of cliff here. It's awesome!

That's what I try to get across to people. There is sooo much climbing here and just because the grade might be 5.12b doesn't mean that Dani Andrada can't fall off it. Seriously, some of the routes here are incredibly challenging no matter who you are.

Then of course are all the projects. I would say there are about 20 already bolted projects that are hard, some are really hard.

Then back to the Red. Look at Sharma again, he visited, did a few 5.14's including what was then the hardest route, Lucifer. Then he set about to find new lines. He bolted that impossible looking cave at Drive-by. He didn't 'climb out' the Red in just a few days but I bet he would get tired of the established routes there far faster than he would at the New. If he were forced to pick a place.

The funny thing about my stance on this 'devil's advocate' debate is not that the New is better than the Red. It's that they are equally amazing. Again, what intrigues me is why 90% (made up statistic) of climbers visit the Red over the New. Hmmm.

I think part of it (here comes the shit talk..) is that the climbing is hard here. It crushes the ego. When I go to the Red I rarely fall off 5.12 and it makes me so happy. When I go to Endless Wall I regularly fall off 5.11. I can think of three 5.10d's at the New that are harder than any 5.12d at the Red. Talk about an ego crush. Mr. bad ass 5.13 guy getting destroyed on 5.10. It scares people away. There I said it.
My belief is that despite people telling themselves that they don't climb for numbers, they do. Even if subconciously. No one can argue that it feels good to progress, to redpoint your hardest graded route. There is a far greater chance of that happening at the Red and I think that's why the traffic is there.

Another reason is that climbing at the Red is just more fun. It's social, which people like. You get to hang out at crowded crags and talk to people. I think we all like this more than we admit. Being alone in the woods with your partner is lame sometimes.

The climbing is steep and endurance oriented, i.e. fun. Technical New River faces are not fun for many people. It takes too much thinking and skin loss, and finger pain, and again, ego crush. Just my thoughts. Of course they are probably wrong....

Partner camhead

Apr 16, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #50 of 64 (6208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hyhuu wrote:
I gotcha. Learn something new everyday.

curator wrote:

heh. Find out that the dude yer arguing with climbs 5.14 and the ballcupping begins.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook