Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Santa Cruz, San Luis Obisbo or Santa Maria?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

suntanlotion18

Apr 18, 2010, 4:28 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1726 views)
Shortcut

Santa Cruz, San Luis Obisbo or Santa Maria?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Or if you have any other beach suggestions, please feel free to add an opinion. Which place has the best rock climbing, mountain biking and hiking? Im moving to the coast in august...I just dont know where to yet.

_SLY_

Apr 19, 2010, 4:28 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suntanlotion18] Santa Cruz, San Luis Obisbo or Santa Maria? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think SLO is best, just for it's proximity to stuff. Climbing's pretty good, and it's just a couple hours away from some pretty good climbing in Santa Barbara.

But if you really want to be close to the valley, in which case, SC is best.

SLO is just a nicer town in general, too. But then again, I'm biased.

csproul

Apr 19, 2010, 4:39 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to live in Ventura, and truth be told, I was not at all impressed with the climbing in SLO. Santa Barbara has some good bouldering, and a few good routes, but the routes are generally not worth the effort in my opinion (unless they are very close). If climbing is a priority, then I'd say that stretch of CA coast is not ideal. I'm not sure of the local Santa Cruz climbing scene, but it is at least much closer to the Sierra west-side and Yosemite. What is more important to you; close-by, mediocre climbing...or accessibility to great climbing that is more of a drive?

shimanilami

Apr 19, 2010, 5:02 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Santa Cruz, San Luis Obisbo or Santa Maria? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
If climbing is a priority, then I'd say that stretch of CA coast is not ideal. I'm not sure of the local Santa Cruz climbing scene, but it is at least much closer to the Sierra west-side and Yosemite.

Bingo. If climbing is your priority, then the central coast is going to suck for you. The hiking and biking, however, are great in each of the places you mentioned.

I would offer that there is a lot more happening (i.e. cultural and social life) in SLO and SC. SLO has more of a cowboy/farmer vibe, while SC has more of a hippy/surfer vibe. SLO seems like a tighter community, and the college influence is unmistakable. SC has better access to "higher" (cough) culture in San Francisco, Carmel, San Jose, etc. It's closer to climbing and skiing, too.

If you want to climb a lot, however, you'll have to ditch the coast. Bishop is the place for you.

dugl33

Apr 19, 2010, 5:37 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't really think of any redeeming qualities for Santa Maria, so I would cross that off your list -- it is not on the "coast" and has zero climbing prospects without a drive.

San Luis Obispo is a nice town unless you are burnt out on college towns. Lots of 18-22 years olds due to cal poly and cuesta. There is climbing in the heart of town at Bishops Peak. Despite the nay-sayers the climbing is good. Its not a big destination area but the rock quality is excellent. Three primary 1 and 2 pitch spots and a handful of good boulders. 2-1/2 hours to pinnacles, 5 hours to yosemite valley, 2 hours to Santa Barbara climbing. A rock gym and bouldering coop. Mountain biking, check. Hiking, check. Surfing, check. Enough climbing locals to pick up climbing partners.

Santa Cruz does not have climbing in town that I know of. They do have a gym. I'd guess its a half hour drive to good bouldering, so-so single pitch climbing at castle rock. 1-1/2 hours to pinnacles, 4 hours to yosemite valley. Reasonable proximity to mountain biking and good hiking. Hipster urban beach town, less of a college town but still a college town. Fairly close to Monterey, Bay Area, San Fran, etc. Feels a little more "Nor-Cal".

I'd recommend you make a field trip, spending a few days in each town (except santa maria) and see which clicks for you.

dont.trip

Apr 19, 2010, 8:46 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Santa Cruz, San Luis Obisbo or Santa Maria? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Santa Cruz does not have climbing in town that I know of. They do have a gym. I'd guess its a half hour drive to good bouldering, so-so single pitch climbing at castle rock. 1-1/2 hours to pinnacles, 4 hours to yosemite valley. Reasonable proximity to mountain biking and good hiking. Hipster urban beach town, less of a college town but still a college town. Fairly close to Monterey, Bay Area, San Fran, etc. Feels a little more "Nor-Cal".

I think this is a little inaccurate. 15 minutes to bouldering and from any spit in the City you are about 5 seconds away from THE best Mtn Biking on the coast. SC is a much better place to be stationed for a climber. You can actually make a living there and are within daytrip distance to dozens of climbing areas.

While slo DOES have climbing in town...it will keep you entertained for about a week. There just isn't that much.

(This post was edited by dont.trip on Apr 19, 2010, 8:47 PM)

dugl33

Apr 19, 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dont.trip] Santa Cruz, San Luis Obisbo or Santa Maria? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dont.trip wrote:
In reply to:

I think this is a little inaccurate. 15 minutes to bouldering and from any spit in the City you are about 5 seconds away from THE best Mtn Biking on the coast. SC is a much better place to be stationed for a climber. You can actually make a living there and are within daytrip distance to dozens of climbing areas.

While slo DOES have climbing in town...it will keep you entertained for about a week. There just isn't that much.

Unless you are referring to something other than Castle Rock state park for bouldering (are you?), you are not going to get there in 15 minutes from downtown Santa Cruz. Its a solid 30-45 minutes. Forest of the Nisene for mtn. biking... I'll concede that one.

Pros and cons to each. A coin toss in my book. If the OP is moving from Oakhurst she's moving away from some of the best climbing around, not to it. Must have other motives at play.

Dozens Really, like what? Pinns, Castle Rock. Do you mean to say within a days drive? How big of a drive-time radius are you casting with that statement? Are we including bay area micro-crags?

dugl33

Apr 19, 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

suntanlotion18 wrote:
Or if you have any other beach suggestions, please feel free to add an opinion. Which place has the best rock climbing, mountain biking and hiking? Im moving to the coast in august...I just dont know where to yet.

You might also consider Santa Barbara and Ventura... it really just depends on what's motivating you...why the coast...? Job considerations? School considerations? Do you want a small town feel or the big city? Looking for a change of pace and a new scene? What gives?

dont.trip

Apr 19, 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dugl33 wrote:
dont.trip wrote:
In reply to:

Unless you are referring to something other than Castle Rock state park for bouldering (are you?), you are not going to get there in 15 minutes from downtown Santa Cruz. Its a solid 30-45 minutes. Forest of the Nisene for mtn. biking... I'll concede that one.

Pros and cons to each. A coin toss in my book. If the OP is moving from Oakhurst she's moving away from some of the best climbing around, not to it. Must have other motives at play.

Dozens Really, like what? Pinns, Castle Rock. Do you mean to say within a days drive? How big of a drive-time radius are you casting with that statement? Are we including bay area micro-crags?

-Nisene, UC, Demo, Wilder....just the tip of the iceberg.

When I said "within daytrip distance to dozens of climbing areas." I meant 3-4 hours...close enough for a daytrip.

suntanlotion18

Apr 21, 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just want to experience a new place/people. im 19 and i feel like its time haha. Im gonna go to a community college, get my own place and just try something new. I know i live in the perfect spot since im so close to yosemite, bishop etc. but i love both the beach and mountains and am just trying to see which place would fit me best. So far slo is looking the best and its not too far from home. thank you all for your info, it really helped:)

dugl33

Apr 21, 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

suntanlotion18 wrote:
I just want to experience a new place/people. im 19 and i feel like its time haha. Im gonna go to a community college, get my own place and just try something new. I know i live in the perfect spot since im so close to yosemite, bishop etc. but i love both the beach and mountains and am just trying to see which place would fit me best. So far slo is looking the best and its not too far from home. thank you all for your info, it really helped:)

Well you won't go wrong with Cuesta College. http://www.cuesta.edu/ It's probably one of the best community colleges around, and you can set yourself up to transfer to Cal Poly.

You can check things out by camping at El Chorro Regional Park http://www.slocountyparks.com/...vities/el_chorro.htm which is quite close to cuesta ...

or stay at the hostel in town http://www.hostelobispo.com/

or camp at Montana De Oro http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=592

Good luck and have fun with your new adventure.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook