RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

cherise

Apr 20, 2010, 3:26 AM
Post #1 of 11 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Red Rocks Nevada
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

There is a plan to build a giant hotel right next to Red Rocks canyon in Nevada. If you don't want a hotel next to this amazing climbing area there is a petition to stop the development.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saveredrock/

marc801

Apr 20, 2010, 4:03 AM
Post #2 of 11 (4657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cherise] Red Rocks Nevada [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cherise wrote:
There is a plan to build a giant hotel right next to Red Rocks canyon in Nevada. If you don't want a hotel next to this amazing climbing area there is a petition to stop the development.
Made clicky.
Unfortunately that petition has basically zero content and information understandable for anyone not living in Vegas near RR, and your post sheds little additional light.
What is the proposal?
What is the extent of the hotel?
Exactly where will it be - exactly?
Exactly what kind of impact on RR are you expecting?
Why should anyone from away get involved?
How will it impact visiting climbers? Or will it be an excellent base camp instead of the bordering-on-horrific campground? Will I want to stay there instead of 30 minutes away just off the strip? Maybe it will be a good thing?
Specifics....details.....that's what will garner support.

agdavis

Apr 20, 2010, 4:56 AM
Post #3 of 11 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cherise wrote:

It would also help if you put the links to the Access Fund issue alert here. They really illuminate issues.

i_h8_choss

Apr 20, 2010, 8:51 AM
Post #4 of 11 (4620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agdavis] Red Rocks Nevada [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

agdavis wrote:
cherise wrote:

It would also help if you put the links to the Access Fund issue alert here. They really illuminate issues.

http://www.accessfund.org/...00939&ct=8180975

hhelbein

Apr 20, 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #5 of 11 (4584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] Red Rocks Nevada [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think all of the links posted so far apply to a housing development project, not a hotel. Here is another link referring to the same ord #.

http://www.saveredrock.com/...strict&Itemid=64

None of these, as far as I can tell, refer to a hotel.

jomagam

Apr 22, 2010, 2:23 PM
Post #6 of 11 (4513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Score one for the bad guys.

http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/...ty-settles-with.html

(This post was edited by jomagam on Apr 22, 2010, 2:25 PM)

sp00ki

Apr 22, 2010, 9:00 PM
Post #7 of 11 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] Red Rocks Nevada [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

That's broken. The story is here:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/...ck-development-4-3-/

the article linked above wrote:
Updated Wednesday, April 21, 2010 | 5:55 p.m.

A divided Clark County Board of Commissioners approved a settlement Wednesday over the proposed development of land near the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.

Commissioners voted 4-3 to accept the settlement with developer Jim Rhodes after hours of sometimes emotional testimony and debate during a zoning meeting.

Rhodes owns 2,400 acres in and near the conservation area. Under the agreement, he would be allowed to develop up to 1,700 acres, but only if commissioners approve the development and a federal appeals court sides with the state on a law regulating development.

Commissioners Susan Brager, Larry Brown, Tom Collins and Steve Sisolak voted for the settlement, while Commissioners Rory Reid, Chris Giunchigliani and Lawrence Weekly voted against it.

The settlement ends the county’s legal defense of an ordinance that prohibited Rhodes from building houses on the land that once contained mines.

Rhodes can submit a “major project” application to develop the area, but county commissioners aren’t required to approve the plan. County staff estimates it would take at least a year for any project to get approval.

The portions that are off limits to development are in the Red Rock conservation area and near Blue Diamond. The settlement also bars Rhodes from using State Route 159, which goes through the conservation area, to access any development once construction is complete.

Commissioners listened to hours of testimony from residents and interest groups before beginning their own debate on the issue.

“This has been one of the most difficult decisions … that I’ve had to do as a commissioner,” said Brager, who represents the area.

Brown said that if the county were to reject the settlement and the court ruled against the county, commissioners would be forced to allow more development with less oversight than they would get from the settlement agreement.

“I see the piecemeal development of this area as something that could go terribly wrong,” Brown said.

But Giunchigliani and Reid said Red Rock was too important to the community to allow any development.

“When do we choose to fight?” an emotional Giunchigliani asked. “If you don’t fight now, when do you?”

Reid, who is the board’s chairman, echoed the fight theme.

“I’ve been here seven-and-a-half years, and I’m leaving soon. And I think that there are times when compromise is appropriate and there’s times when you need to take a stand, and I do not want part of my legacy to be that I compromised on Red Rock,” Reid said.

After the vote, someone in the audience shouted “shame on you” to the commissioners, and some members of the public used the meeting’s public comment period to condemn the decision.

Clark County passed an ordinance in 2003 to block development of the area near Red Rock Canyon. The county’s law mirrored a state law.

In 2005, Rhodes’ company, Gypsum Resources LLC, sued the county over the ordinance. Since then, a federal court has said the state law was unconstitutional. A trial on the county’s ordinance was scheduled for May 3.

County lawyers said since the court has already struck down the state law, they stood little chance of winning their case, so the settlement was the best way for the county to avoid legal costs and maintain more control over the development.

The state’s case continues to work its way through the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Rep. Dina Titus, who as a state legislator sponsored the bill now in question, spoke to the board by phone from Washington, and asked commissioners to reject the settlement.

“If the Clark County Board of Commissioners decides it is in its best interest to settle, I believe strongly that the settlement agreement must be conditioned on the result of the state’s appeal,” she said. “The settlement should make clear that no actual land development can occur until the state’s appeal is resolved. It should further provide that the developer has no particular rights while the appeal is pending, even if the county approves the developer's major project application during that period.”

Kevin Powers, a lawyer with the state’s Legislative Counsel Bureau, also told commissioners to either reject the settlement or make it contingent on the state’s appeal.

But Chief Deputy District Attorney Rob Warhola, who led the county’s negotiations with Gypsum, said it was too late to make such major changes to the agreement.

After commissioners sided with Warhola, Powers said the state could still seek a stay from the courts to keep development from happening until the appeal is resolved.

Brager and Sisolak were angry Titus was allowed to testify by phone, and asked why regular citizens who are unable to attend the meeting weren’t given the same opportunity. County staff then made a phone line available for people to call in later in the meeting and speak on the issue.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Apr 22, 2010, 9:02 PM)

desertwanderer81

May 6, 2010, 8:35 PM
Post #8 of 11 (4312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Red Rocks Nevada [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What's funny is that there are already dozens of homes right there in Calico Basin :p

Ya know, a hotel would have kinda rocked ;) A housing development I could do without, hehe. They already however have the RR Station about 3 minutes out towards 215, heh.

One thing I am curious about is why the state law was considered unconstitutional.

Anyhow, I highly doubt that this project will go through.

moose_droppings

May 6, 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #9 of 11 (4263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Red Rocks Nevada [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the article wrote:
Brager and Sisolak were angry Titus was allowed to testify by phone, and asked why regular citizens who are unable to attend the meeting weren’t given the same opportunity. County staff then made a phone line available for people to call in later in the meeting and speak on the issue.

What, the rest of the public could call in to testify after the decision was made?

vegastradguy

May 7, 2010, 2:37 AM
Post #10 of 11 (4210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Red Rocks Nevada [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
the article wrote:

What, the rest of the public could call in to testify after the decision was made?

no- they could call in during the comment period of the hearing- the hearing on this issue lasted roughly 3hrs, and Titus testified in the first hour. these meetings are broadcast live on a local tv channel, so folks watching or unable to be there but notified by folks who were could call in and give comments. two folks did- both against settlement.

the whole thing was pretty damn annoying- Brager was the deciding vote and the whole thing is in her district...and she asked for a vote in favor to settle. shameful at best.

moose_droppings

May 7, 2010, 3:10 AM
Post #11 of 11 (4192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Red Rocks Nevada [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the clarity.

I thought for a second that there was another council out there as crooked underhanded sneaky well meaning as our small town has.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook