Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
Question about basic direct aid (avoiding FF2 falls onto your daisy)?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kobaz

Apr 17, 2010, 3:23 PM
Post #26 of 40 (3241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Question about basic direct aid (avoiding FF2 falls onto your daisy)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I may have figured out the answer to my own question. When I am aiding I always have my fifi hook (biner actually) clipped straight into the cam / nut and I am either top stepping or in the third step (on a regular aider). So when I shift my weight over onto the high piece, I disconnect the lower aider before I disconnect my fifi hook that way if the piece blows I only fall a few inches on the hook instead of three feet onto the daisy chain. But that requires hooking into the cam versus the biner attached to the daisy and aider which is a bit more work.

From PTPP whom I consider one of the foremost authorities on aid climbing:
Stand in the lowest step of your upper aiders that you can, and get most of your weight onto the upper piece. Keep one hand on the upper piece, and one hand on the lower piece. You will have one foot in the third step of the lower piece, and one foot in the fifth step of the upper piece. Stand in balance - if the upper piece blows you are still in balance on the lower piece.
Ref: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...forum.cgi?post=23160

And:
Be CAREFUL when you topstep! If you are really scared, consider clipping your lower piece into the bungy cord wrap you have put on your harness. I do this from time to time on really hard aid, but normally don't bother on the easy stuff.
Ref: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...orum.cgi?post=71395z

In short... you should be able to stand in such a way that if the top piece blows, you are in your lower aiders... and while top stepping... it's just critical that you don't blow it.

sherpa79

Apr 17, 2010, 4:00 PM
Post #27 of 40 (3235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Question about basic direct aid (avoiding FF2 falls onto your daisy)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
Ignore everything in the above posts. They don't know what they're talking about. Here's the straight dope.

If you suspect your newly placed piece is dicey, then clip the rope through the piece you're standing on and unclip your daisy from the aider. Thus, if you stand up on the new piece and it blows, then the rope - not your daisy - will catch you. And because you clipped the rope through the previous piece, your aiders are secured. Just don't forget to grab your aiders as you continue up.

This sequence is a hassle because it adds an extra step - i.e. you have to unclip the daisy first, and then retrieve your aider second. I never use it unless I think my new piece is dicey.

This is how I do it. No daisy fall and the last thing you do before stepping up into your high piece you grab your aider. It does add a step, but sometimes you just have to add a step to stay safe. But as has already been said this shouldn't be an issue on C1. On C1 you could probably just do without your daisys except for resting. You could just rest on a draw as well. I've been using a draw for topstepping lately and it works pretty well, but I don't climb hard aid Wink

shimanilami

Apr 17, 2010, 4:54 PM
Post #28 of 40 (3234 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kobaz] Question about basic direct aid (avoiding FF2 falls onto your daisy)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
shimanilami wrote:
No. You've got to clip the rope and remove your daisy before you move to the new piece. Otherwise, if the new piece blows, then you'll fall on your daisy.

How exactly do you unclip your daisy while top stepping?

Carefully! To be honest, I don't usually top-step unless it's to reach a good placement. On those occasions where I've got no other choice, I place the top piece and use it to balance myself (not hold my weight) while I unclip the daisy. No doubt, those are exciting moves to make!

(This post was edited by shimanilami on Apr 17, 2010, 5:11 PM)

kobaz

Apr 18, 2010, 2:38 AM
Post #29 of 40 (3204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Question about basic direct aid (avoiding FF2 falls onto your daisy)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
No. You've got to clip the rope and remove your daisy before you move to the new piece. Otherwise, if the new piece blows, then you'll fall on your daisy.

In all things climbing.. I think it really 'just depends'.

Do you have solid pro below the piece you are standing on? Is it a short distance away? Sure, unclip from the current piece and the rope will catch you if the top piece blows.

What if the piece you are standing on, is the jesus piece? Ideally you don't want any more load on it than bodyweight. So keeping yourself clipped to the current piece is imperative. Maintaining minimal forces on the current piece is imperative. Test the piece above thoroughly, and maintain your posture on the lower piece because you do not want to shock load it.

ptlong

Apr 19, 2010, 5:55 PM
Post #30 of 40 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Question about basic direct aid (avoiding FF2 falls onto your daisy)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
ptlong wrote:
In other words, their test did NOT replicate what would happen to a real climber in a harness.

No, but it provided good evidence that very high forces can be generated in a short fall onto a very-low-stretch sling.

Sure, with a dead weight. But it doesn't say anything about the force generated when a human falls. You can try and extrapolate but you'd be talking out of your ass.

In reply to:
But my point was only that graniteboy was very wrong: a short FF2 onto low-stretch tethers can generate much higher forces than a long FF2 onto a dynamic climbing rope.

You just made that up. Graniteboy never said anything of the sort. What he said was that a climber falling three feet onto a daisy isn't going to generate 24 kN. Those test results you linked don't come anywhere close to refuting that.

In reply to:
Anyway, the issue isn't just the risk that you might break a daisy chain (you are, after all, still attached to a rope). Even if the daisy will hold, you might want to spare your kidneys the special feeling of falling onto one.

Keep on backpedalling!

MS1

Apr 19, 2010, 6:16 PM
Post #31 of 40 (3081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptlong] Question about basic direct aid (avoiding FF2 falls onto your daisy)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
But my point was only that graniteboy was very wrong: a short FF2 onto low-stretch tethers can generate much higher forces than a long FF2 onto a dynamic climbing rope.

You just made that up. Graniteboy never said anything of the sort. What he said was that a climber falling three feet onto a daisy isn't going to generate 24 kN. Those test results you linked don't come anywhere close to refuting that.

So, this is the GB post I was criticizing, and which you are now defending:

In reply to:
Due to the fact that the falling object (climber) is only falling maybe a meter, taking much less than a second to do so, (let's say about a quarter of a second as a rough guess, although we could get all fancy and calculate it) there is no way in hell that 24KN can be developed in this scenario, as you stated above someplace. Let's put our thinking caps on. 24 KN is what you can generate when you're flying 30 or 40 feet, and then coming to an abrupt stop in a FF2 fall.

To be clear: This is the argument you want to keep siding with? He thinks that 24KN could be developed in a FF2 fall onto dynamic climbing rope, but not onto a static tether. Whether it is 24KN or only 15KN once you factor in a squishy body is beside the point; the problem is that he was asserting that the length of the fall is the only relevant variable.

ptlong

Apr 19, 2010, 6:45 PM
Post #32 of 40 (3071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Question about basic direct aid (avoiding FF2 falls onto your daisy)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:

In reply to:
Due to the fact that the falling object (climber) is only falling maybe a meter, taking much less than a second to do so, (let's say about a quarter of a second as a rough guess, although we could get all fancy and calculate it) there is no way in hell that 24KN can be developed in this scenario, as you stated above someplace. Let's put our thinking caps on. 24 KN is what you can generate when you're flying 30 or 40 feet, and then coming to an abrupt stop in a FF2 fall.

To be clear: This is the argument you want to keep siding with? He thinks that 24KN could be developed in a FF2 fall onto dynamic climbing rope, but not onto a static tether. Whether it is 24KN or only 15KN once you factor in a squishy body is beside the point; the problem is that he was asserting that the length of the fall is the only relevant variable.

Yes, I agree with him that a climber taking a three foot daisy fall will not generate 24 kN.

Where does he mention a dynamic rope? He doesn't. You're reading that into it.

Length of fall does matter in this case because in addition to the low-stretch sling you have a fixed higher-stretch component in the system as well. If you took a 30 foot FF2 onto static webbing it would be quite different than a two inch FF2, don't you think?

russwalling

Apr 19, 2010, 7:26 PM
Post #33 of 40 (3061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptlong] Question about basic direct aid (avoiding FF2 falls onto your daisy)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!1116669

MS1

Apr 19, 2010, 7:36 PM
Post #34 of 40 (3054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ptlong wrote:
MS1 wrote:

In reply to:

Yes, I agree with him that a climber taking a three foot daisy fall will not generate 24 kN.

Where does he mention a dynamic rope? He doesn't. You're reading that into it.

Length of fall does matter in this case because in addition to the low-stretch sling you have a fixed higher-stretch component in the system as well. If you took a 30 foot FF2 onto static webbing it would be quite different than a two inch FF2, don't you think?

Given that just about no one takes FF2s onto 30 feet of webbing or static line, it is obvious that you are just trolling at this point.

ptlong

Apr 19, 2010, 9:14 PM
Post #35 of 40 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
it is obvious that you are just trolling at this point.

Every post is a troll, dumbass.

I wish I could really claim that I was trolling since it seems I got a bite from a rather large, errr, FISH. A rare breaching of The Russelford would surely be a prize for a dedicated troll, would it not?

(troll)
|
\/

24kN, huh? <- (troll)

^
|
(troll)

MS1

Apr 19, 2010, 9:33 PM
Post #36 of 40 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, hooking the Russ was a nice accomplishment. I wouldn't want to take that away from you.

russwalling

Apr 20, 2010, 5:53 AM
Post #37 of 40 (2995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T-zero at best. My inverse troll has exposed the troll. Oh yeah....

YER GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!

thenose

Apr 20, 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #38 of 40 (2987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ptlong wrote:
MS1 wrote:
it is obvious that you are just trolling at this point.

Every post is a troll, dumbass.

I wish I could really claim that I was trolling since it seems I got a bite from a rather large, errr, FISH. A rare breaching of The Russelford would surely be a prize for a dedicated troll, would it not?

(troll)
|
\/

24kN, huh? <- (troll)

^
|
(troll)
your a moron, leave this site, your wasting hard drive space. your missing the whole fucking point. the point is taking a FF2 fall on a sling will fuck you up, it could easily break a full strength cam, it could break the sling, it could break YOU. the ENTIRE point of that article referenced earlier is that taking falls on static slings is a very dangerous action and should be avoided at all costs. disagree, go take a FF2 fall on a sling and see, if (when) you break it I will send you a replacement free of charge.

actually I have a nice story to compliment this. when I was climbing an A4+ line in mexico I took a 65 footer when a bunch of pieces ripped. my partner tried to jump to create a softer catch but blew the timing and came back down into the belay station before the rope was tight. He broke a number 3 RP rated for 7 kN doing that... now go off and play on your V1 in your gym...

(This post was edited by thenose on Apr 20, 2010, 10:29 AM)

TarHeelEMT

May 20, 2010, 7:50 PM
Post #39 of 40 (2849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Question about basic direct aid (avoiding FF2 falls onto your daisy)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Christ, I was wondering the same thing as US Navy, being another climber new to aid. I'm no less certain than I was before, although I might ditch my dyneema daisies for nylon.

EATBOOERS

Jun 6, 2010, 12:34 AM
Post #40 of 40 (2768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
Ignore everything in the above posts. They don't know what they're talking about. Here's the straight dope.

If you suspect your newly placed piece is dicey, then clip the rope through the piece you're standing on and unclip your daisy from the aider. Thus, if you stand up on the new piece and it blows, then the rope - not your daisy - will catch you. And because you clipped the rope through the previous piece, your aiders are secured. Just don't forget to grab your aiders as you continue up.

This sequence is a hassle because it adds an extra step - i.e. you have to unclip the daisy first, and then retrieve your aider second. I never use it unless I think my new piece is dicey.

THIS IS MY EXACT SAME METHOD! Y R WE TALKING ABOUT FF2??? WE JUST DONT WANT TO DASY STOP ON A LOWER PIECE AND BREAK OUR RIBS, OR WORSE, BLOW THE PLACEMENT AND DECK OUT ON THAT RAMP DOWN THEREPirate. I LIKE THE PICS OF THE YOUNG AMMON!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook