RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

cush

Apr 25, 2010, 8:21 PM
Post #1 of 24 (9484 views)
Shortcut

1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey, i'll be heading out to san francisco in december for a wedding. it's sure to be too cold and snowy to do much rock climbing but while i'm out west i'd love to do some climbing. i was thinking of leaving my trad gear at home and travelling light with just the essential rope and draws. the thing is, i'll be without a car so i would need a sport climbing area in southern cali that has enough routes to keep me occupied for a week or so without needing to drive to and from the crag. does any place like this come to mind? i'd be looking to do routes in the 5.10-5.12a range.

gosharks

Apr 25, 2010, 8:26 PM
Post #2 of 24 (9483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cush] 1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cush wrote:
hey, i'll be heading out to san francisco in december for a wedding. it's sure to be too cold and snowy to do much rock climbing but while i'm out west i'd love to do some climbing. i was thinking of leaving my trad gear at home and travelling light with just the essential rope and draws. the thing is, i'll be without a car so i would need a sport climbing area in southern cali that has enough routes to keep me occupied for a week or so without needing to drive to and from the crag. does any place like this come to mind? i'd be looking to do routes in the 5.10-5.12a range.

Good luck getting to SoCal climbing from SF w/o a car.

snoopy138

Apr 25, 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #3 of 24 (9453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cush wrote:

san francisco is not in socal.

If you can find a ride there and back (good luck with this, coming from sf), new jack fits your description. You might have a better chance of partnering up with someone for a trip to jtree to climb slab and/or use their rack. You could also probably find a ride to and from bishop.

guangzhou

Apr 26, 2010, 5:44 AM
Post #4 of 24 (9427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] 1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stinson beach would be climbable if it's sunny. So would bouldering and top-roping on my Tam. You can also boulder at Split Rock if the sun is shining.

bennydh

Apr 26, 2010, 5:51 AM
Post #5 of 24 (9425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
cush wrote:

san francisco is not in socal.

If you can find a ride there and back (good luck with this, coming from sf), new jack fits your description. You might have a better chance of partnering up with someone for a trip to jtree to climb slab and/or use their rack. You could also probably find a ride to and from bishop.

I might also look into what southwest airlines flights fly from SF to other airports. Their tickets are usually pretty cheap for short hops, and would give you the mobility to go from SF(NorCal) to SoCal.

sp00ki

Apr 26, 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #6 of 24 (9385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

cush wrote:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/California/San_Francisco_Bay/

cush

Apr 27, 2010, 2:19 AM
Post #7 of 24 (9333 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gosharks] 1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i was planning on hopping a bus or catching a cheap flight. as long as it isn't obscenely expensive i don't mind paying a little extra to get down to where the weather is nice. there is pretty much no sport climbing out here on the east coast so as long as i'm out in california i would love to take the chance to be able to do some sport.

i_h8_choss

Apr 27, 2010, 8:07 AM
Post #8 of 24 (9309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed in the Bay Area in December before. You may get lucky. As long as it's dry and not too windy. It doesn't get that cold. Not east coast December cold.

Have you thought about renting a car?

Then check the weather and go where the weather's good. I do this quite often in my California winters.

sp00ki

Apr 27, 2010, 6:07 PM
Post #9 of 24 (9282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cush wrote:
there is pretty much no sport climbing out here on the east coast

Rumney? NRG? Foster Falls? Etc?

dugl33

Apr 27, 2010, 6:33 PM
Post #10 of 24 (9264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fly from San Francisco to Ontario, rent a car in Ontario, drive to Joshua Tree. Post a note on the Hidden Valley Board seeking a partner (with a rack). Or drive to New Jack City or Alabama Hills.

You could also rent a car in San Fran and drive over the pass (hwy 80) and head down the east side to Bishop, Owens River Gorge, etc.

Or drive to Pinnacles National Monument. On occasion lower elevation yosemite is cliimbable in december. It is possible to take a bus there. Also, sport climbing in the Sonora area (table mountain) is sometimes doable in the winter.

Or post for a San Fran partner who has a car and gear. Many people will be game if you pitch in for gas.

Tough to do much without a car.

jorgegonzalez

Apr 27, 2010, 6:44 PM
Post #11 of 24 (9250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] 1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nobody walks in el lay.

Your best bet for winter climbing is JT, but you should line something up with someone in la, the logistics of coming from SF to JT merit having a plan, not going to HV campground and looking for a partner.

JT, however, is not considered a sport climbing destination, most climbs are trad and/or partial trad. It is also very spread out and not conducive to climbers sans a vehicle.

jt512

Apr 27, 2010, 7:24 PM
Post #12 of 24 (9231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jorgegonzalez] 1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jorgegonzalez wrote:
Nobody walks in el lay.

Your best bet for winter climbing is JT, but you should line something up with someone in la, the logistics of coming from SF to JT merit having a plan, not going to HV campground and looking for a partner.

JT, however, is not considered a sport climbing destination, most climbs are trad and/or partial trad. It is also very spread out and not conducive to climbers sans a vehicle.

To the OP: If you can get a campsite in Hidden Valley Campground, you don't need a vehicle in the Park (JT). There are years' worth of routes within walking distance. However, you will need a ride to and from the Park from wherever you will be coming from and returning to. Despite reading multiple posts of yours, I still can't tell where that will be, or what your transportation situation will be. You really have a flare for ambiguity.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Apr 27, 2010, 7:25 PM)

dugl33

Apr 27, 2010, 7:33 PM
Post #13 of 24 (9225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jorgegonzalez] 1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jorgegonzalez wrote:
Nobody walks in el lay.

Jorge in general I agree with you, but I have posted notes in JT seeking partners 3 or 4 times and never been without one for more than a day or two max. No guarantee, but certainly doable.

Roll in on Sunday, post your note, check out other notes. Worst case you can boulder, but if you have at least your shoes, harness, chalk bag, and belay device you'll probably find someone to climb with in short order.

And... pain in the butt, not recommending it, but you could bus it to Joshua Tree, the town, and hitch a ride into the park with your backpack, food rations, and 2 or 3 gallons of water. (Hitch another ride into town midweek) If you make it to hidden valley campground you have a weeks worth of climbing within walking distance.

dugl33

Apr 27, 2010, 7:45 PM
Post #14 of 24 (9217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] 1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jay it seems pretty clear the OP is travelling from New Jersey to San Francisco, presumably via air travel, and then hoping to put together a winter-suitable trip without renting a car and with minimal gear within a 1 week time frame.

ilikepargo

Apr 30, 2010, 6:30 AM
Post #15 of 24 (9113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First question: What part of Jersey are you from? I'm not sure I could stomach climbing with a Giants fan, but if you prefer the Midnight Green, maybe we could talk.

There's plenty of climbing, but in December it's still going to be pretty cool out in the desert areas. Will you be carrying camping gear? Looking for a room?

It's tough to help without knowing more info.

Malibu Creek would probably be a little warmer.

Best bet would be to look for partners here in Southern CA in advance. See if they can drive for you.

snoopy138

Apr 30, 2010, 2:57 PM
Post #16 of 24 (9091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ilikepargo] 1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ilikepargo wrote:
First question: What part of Jersey are you from? I'm not sure I could stomach climbing with a Giants fan, but if you prefer the Midnight Green, maybe we could talk.

There's plenty of climbing, but in December it's still going to be pretty cool out in the desert areas. Will you be carrying camping gear? Looking for a room?

Best bet would be to look for partners here in Southern CA in advance. See if they can drive for you.

you're telling a guy coming from new jersey to climb in malibu?????

jdouble

Apr 30, 2010, 5:28 PM
Post #17 of 24 (9073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
ilikepargo wrote:

I was born in Jersey and climb in Malibu. It works.

snoopy138

Apr 30, 2010, 6:05 PM
Post #18 of 24 (9059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdouble] 1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jdouble wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
ilikepargo wrote:

I grew up in new jersey and climb in Malibu as well. That's not my point. If you're coming from the east coast for a week, people shouldn't be directing you to malibu to climb. Especially if you're looking for a place you can hang out at without a car.

caughtinside

Apr 30, 2010, 7:45 PM
Post #19 of 24 (9041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
jdouble wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
ilikepargo wrote:

I grew up in new jersey and climb in Malibu as well. That's not my point. If you're coming from the east coast for a week, people shouldn't be directing you to malibu to climb. Especially if you're looking for a place you can hang out at without a car.

Note to self, avoid climbing in malibu, it's full of jersey loosers.

snoopy138

Apr 30, 2010, 7:55 PM
Post #20 of 24 (9031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] 1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
jdouble wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
ilikepargo wrote:

oh, see, if I was recommending spots for you to climb for a weke in socak, I'd go with tick rock. It's better than the Beav!

byran

Apr 30, 2010, 11:28 PM
Post #21 of 24 (8995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd try to meet up with someone who has a rack and go to Yosemite. However, December is sort of hit or miss weather wise. If it's sunny Arch Rock and the Cookie could be warm and dry. Some of the best cragging anywhere, particularly in the 5.10a-5.12a range, and it's a hell of a lot closer to SF than socal.

guangzhou

May 3, 2010, 2:31 AM
Post #22 of 24 (8925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [byran] 1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Winter climbing for a wek near San Fran, Pinnacles. You can sport climb or trad climb there.

Arrogant_Bastard

May 27, 2010, 1:52 AM
Post #23 of 24 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] 1 weeks worth of climbing in so cal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
jdouble wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
ilikepargo wrote:

Stay out of Malibu, Deadbeat!

Arrogant_Bastard

May 27, 2010, 1:53 AM
Post #24 of 24 (8641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
jdouble wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
ilikepargo wrote:

oh, see, if I was recommending spots for you to climb for a weke in socak, I'd go with tick rock. It's better than the Beav!

+1 for Tick Rock, or Pointe Dume. Destination climbing at its finest.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook