RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

phang_nga

Apr 21, 2010, 8:28 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1841 views)
Shortcut

Phang Nga Bay in May anyone?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've got most of May off. Anybody want to hook up for some serious exploring of new routes in Phang Nga Bay?

I've got a lot of trad gear and everything else. All you'll need is shoes.

I've got several islands in mind already. I'm looking for routes in the 5.8 - 5.9 range, but if you're a hotter climber than that and can lead, I'm game.

I own a nice longtail motorboat. Just help pay for fuel, please.

phang_nga

May 2, 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phang_nga] Phang Nga Bay in May anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just back from a wonderful hard day of exploring and climbing in the bay. A couple of routes which I've looked at from a kayak didn't go... brittle rock, sharp rock (lost a bit of blood on several scratches) or blank spots that could even be aided across. Still, we had a blast and we'll do it again next weekend.

phang_nga

May 3, 2010, 10:02 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Next weekend (May 8th and 9th), climbing in the city park in Phang Nga Town. There are some nice bolted routes there, but there's also enough rock in the area to do some new routes.

In addition, we'll hit the cliffs to the east of the town. I've done some research there in the past (basically walked around the base of the cliffs) and saw a bunch of potential lines.

We'll stay at a nice/cheap guesthouse in town that has a few great restaurants nearby. There's a cool Muslim family-owned roti shop just around the corner for breakfast. They also do a wicked Malay-style coffee... boing!

It'll be a cheap/fun weekend.

Send me a message if interested in joining.

phang_nga

May 9, 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice day of climbing in the little park in Phang Nga today. We only did two routes, but they were challenging. The first had a long space between bolts. There were too many crux moves to make it safely and there was nowhere to stick a bit more pro in. My climbing buddy and I took turns trying to muster the courage to push through it, but chickened out each time... got close, but no prize.

This climb was the toughest that either of us had ever tried to lead. Had we been on a top rope, I think we'd both finished it... my Kingdom for the nads of days gone past. Tongue

The other climb was short, but very overhung. We both blasted up it no problem.

We'll go back next week to try and complete that tough route... courage permitting.

phang_nga

May 10, 2010, 1:05 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And, the biggest drama of the day was having a freakin' gun pulled on me!!! On the way to Phang Nga Town, while still on Phuket, I was behind a black Volvo who wouldn't let me pass. I finally got a break and tried to go around him. He sped up. He tried to push me off the road too! A bit further down the road, he raced in front of me and slammed on the brakes. A bit further and he pulled up beside me and POINTED A GUN AT ME!!!

This was a car from a big tour company called Asian Trails. I got a photo of the car. I know the owner of the company too. This macho moron will be gainfully unemployed shortly. Ah, Thai road rage... it's as bad here as anywhere.

phang_nga

May 10, 2010, 9:28 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To be fair to Asian Trails, the owner of the company got right back to me as soon as he heard about the gunman. He intends to terminate the gunman.

This event does not reflect the professionalism of the company... I was just very upset and wanted to vent... as all of you can probably imagine. Having a gun put in my face isn't something I'm used to... even though I'm from Virginia. Crazy

rtwilli4

May 10, 2010, 1:29 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

phang_nga wrote:
To be fair to Asian Trails, the owner of the company got right back to me as soon as he heard about the gunman. He intends to terminate the gunman.

This event does not reflect the professionalism of the company... I was just very upset and wanted to vent... as all of you can probably imagine. Having a gun put in my face isn't something I'm used to... even though I'm from Virginia. Crazy

Hahah... I think Southern Thailand might have as many guns as Virginia! A friend on Phi Phi owed me 1000 baht a few months ago, and instead of paying me back he tried to give me his gun! I was like "what the fuck, why do you have that?" Kid is like 22 or something.

Gotta love this country. People shoot each other on some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, over something as small as a fucking snorkeling trip. Meanwhile they are shooting each other with grenade launchers in Bangkok. What the fuck, right?

phang_nga

May 11, 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Phang Nga Bay in May anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
phang_nga wrote:

Hahah... I think Southern Thailand might have as many guns as Virginia! A friend on Phi Phi owed me 1000 baht a few months ago, and instead of paying me back he tried to give me his gun! I was like "what the fuck, why do you have that?" Kid is like 22 or something.

I still can't believe this macho man went from zero to wanting to murder me in about two minutes... and over something as insignificant as me wanting to pass him, but him not wanting to be passed... freakin' childish moron. Oh well, today he loses his job, so at least some justice is served. He really should be in jail.

Peace!

rocksmoker

May 14, 2010, 9:24 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aside from gunners in south thailand. My friend and I are up in chaing mai climging at crazy horse. We are either heading to vietnam or south thailand from here. We also have 2 ropes and a douple rack and down to lead. Let us know if your still planning on climbing for a while. Possibly interested in any sport?

phang_nga

May 15, 2010, 12:43 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocksmoker] Phang Nga Bay in May anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocksmoker wrote:
Aside from gunners in south thailand. My friend and I are up in chaing mai climging at crazy horse. We are either heading to vietnam or south thailand from here. We also have 2 ropes and a douple rack and down to lead. Let us know if your still planning on climbing for a while. Possibly interested in any sport?

What 'gunners in south Thailand'? The problem is in Bangkok, which is central Thailand. There's been a problem for over a century in the deep south on the Malaysia border, but that's as far from Phuket as Bangkok is from Phuket.

There are no problems in the Phuket / Phang Nga Province area where I am. If it wasn't for the media, you'd not know that anything was wrong. Well, that and the fact that tourism has suddenly died. Frown

Drop me a line if you end up coming down my way.

Cheers...

phang_nga

May 16, 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having just been dicked over today on a climbing trip by two different people, I'm not interested in offering anyone a cheap-as-chips few days of climbing. I was going to drive, supply a longtail, etc and still got stood up.

Nevermind, I'll just go out with my Thai friends... geez.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook