Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Ashlorraine

May 11, 2010, 1:46 AM
Post #1 of 22 (24138 views)
Shortcut

I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just started rock climbing about a month ago and my new shoes finally came in the mail! I got evolv elektras with rubber soles. It fit my budget and i figured they would do for my first shoes. I am a size 9 and have been previously climbing in size 8 evolv rentals because I know that the shoes should be tight and make your feet curl. Those worked fine with only some pain that subsided.

Well I got my new elektras today in a size 8. But they hurt soooo so badly! the knuckles of my toes are smashed against the front and I can barely walk. I expected them to hurt a little but not this much. Are they too tight, or should I stick with them? I am wearing them around the house all day today to try and break them in. I am not sure how much rubber shoes are going to stretch....also I have been told that a size 9 could even go down to a size 7 or 7.5 to get the proper fit...

wow I just took my shoes off and there are actually bruises from where the shoe pushed up against my big toes
thanks everyone!

(This post was edited by Ashlorraine on May 11, 2010, 1:54 AM)

qtm

May 11, 2010, 1:54 AM
Post #2 of 22 (24130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ashlorraine] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ashlorraine wrote:
I just started rock climbing about a month ago and my new shoes finally came in the mail! I got evolv elektras with rubber soles. It fit my budget and i figured they would do for my first shoes. I am a size 9 and have been previously climbing in size 8 evolv rentals because I know that the shoes should be tight and make your feet curl. Those worked fine with only some pain that subsided.

Well I got my new elektras today in a size 8. But they hurt soooo so badly! the knuckles of my toes are smashed against the front and I can barely walk. I expected them to hurt a little but not this much. Are they too tight, or should I stick with them? I am wearing them around the house all day today to try and break them in. I am not sure how much rubber shoes are going to stretch....also I have been told that a size 9 could even go down to a size 7 or 7.5 to get the proper fit...

wow I just took my shoes off and there are actually bruises from where the shoe pushed up against my toes

thanks everyone!

You got bad advice. As a beginner, you don't need super tight shoes. Shoes should be snug. They should fit with no pain and no hot spots. A little uncomfortable is ok, but they should not hurt.

When you've been climbing for a year or two, you may find tighter shoes help, but as a beginner it's completely unnecessary to get super tight shoes.

Rudmin

May 11, 2010, 1:57 AM
Post #3 of 22 (24126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you wear them long enough, the bones in your toes will bend themselves to fit into your shoe.

acorneau

May 11, 2010, 1:58 AM
Post #4 of 22 (24125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ashlorraine] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Ashlorraine wrote:

wow I just took my shoes off and there are actually bruises from where the shoe pushed up against my toes

thanks everyone!

To answer the bolded parts:

1. No, they should not make your toes curl. Your first pair should have your toes come to the end of the shoes and be "snug" but not super tight.

2. Yes, they are too tight and you should exchange them for something more appropriate.

3. No, you should start with your street shoe size and go from there. Of course you should be trying the shoes on before purchasing them. You are trying them on, right?!?

[edit for corrections]

(This post was edited by acorneau on May 11, 2010, 2:02 AM)

clc

May 11, 2010, 2:19 AM
Post #5 of 22 (24107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Its simple don't wear shoes that hurt.

tripperjm

May 11, 2010, 2:33 AM
Post #6 of 22 (24092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was a beginner, I got some advice on how tight I should size my climbing shorts shoes, with a similar result. Maybe my past experience will be of some help.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Ashlorraine

May 11, 2010, 2:44 AM
Post #7 of 22 (24080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha im sorry to laugh at your pain but that is kind of funny. I hope
you got that all worked out ok. Ya, I dunno, the staff member at my rock climbing gym stressed over and over that I should be wearing shoes that are tight and curl my toes a bit. Actually, the first time I went I asked for a 9 and he automatically handed me an 8 to prove his point. He personally wears climbing shoes that is at least 3 sizes smaller than his normal size. Its crazy.

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I am going to return them and at least get size 8.5....I wish I could drive somewhere where I could try them on but I have no car ): college.

(This post was edited by Ashlorraine on May 11, 2010, 2:45 AM)

tombvortx

May 11, 2010, 9:22 AM
Post #8 of 22 (24025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

New user shoes just shouldn't be that tight. When fitting, if you stuff you foot all the way to the front of the shoe there should be the thickness of a quarter between your heel and the back of the shoe.

Partner j_ung

May 11, 2010, 1:02 PM
Post #9 of 22 (23962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ashlorraine wrote:
you got that all worked out ok. Ya, I dunno, the staff member at my rock climbing gym stressed over and over that I should be wearing shoes that are tight and curl my toes a bit. Actually, the first time I went I asked for a 9 and he automatically handed me an 8 to prove his point. He personally wears climbing shoes that is at least 3 sizes smaller than his normal size. Its crazy.

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I am going to return them and at least get size 8.5....I wish I could drive somewhere where I could try them on but I have no car ): college.

He's applying his specific situation, taste in shoes and outdated advice to a general audience, and unfortunately for you, his taste and situation are on the fringe. Be sure to tell him next time you see him that, on his advice, you wasted a bunch of money. Return them BEFORE you wear them all day long.

(This post was edited by j_ung on May 11, 2010, 1:03 PM)

mrtristan

May 11, 2010, 5:36 PM
Post #10 of 22 (23917 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, they shouldn't hurt that much. If your feet hurt that much, then you won't want to climb as much and the climbing you DO get done won't be as pleasant. Hawk your shoes on eBay and get a new pair.

ninth10

May 20, 2010, 2:11 AM
Post #11 of 22 (23645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep buying shoes which are far too small- that way, when you sell them on ebay in 2 weeks because they are far too painful, i pick up a set of cheap, hardly used footwear.

marc801

May 20, 2010, 3:57 AM
Post #12 of 22 (23610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ashlorraine wrote:
... because I know that the shoes should be tight and make your feet curl. Those worked fine with only some pain that subsided.

wow I just took my shoes off and there are actually bruises from where the shoe pushed up against my big toes
thanks everyone!
Yeah, you're in college, but are you really this clueless?

Partner j_ung

May 20, 2010, 6:31 PM
Post #13 of 22 (23561 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ninth10] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ninth10 wrote:
keep buying shoes which are far too small- that way, when you sell them on ebay in 2 weeks because they are far too painful, i pick up a set of cheap, hardly used footwear.

Small feet, huh? Bummer. Tongue

shockabuku

May 20, 2010, 6:53 PM
Post #14 of 22 (23545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Ashlorraine wrote:

He's applying his specific situation, taste in shoes and outdated advice to a general audience, and unfortunately for you, his taste and situation are on the fringe. Be sure to tell him next time you see him that, on his advice, you wasted a bunch of money. Return them BEFORE you wear them all day long.

Don't tell him, tell the gym owner that the employees are giving out bad information.

Ashlorraine

May 29, 2010, 7:36 PM
Post #15 of 22 (23240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

actually I stuck with them and they are starting to work out really great. I still have bruises and they hurt but I am definitely getting used to it. But thanks for the advice everyone!
In reply to:

marc801

May 29, 2010, 7:45 PM
Post #16 of 22 (23237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ashlorraine wrote:
... they are starting to work out really great. I still have bruises and they hurt but I am definitely getting used to it.
They'll feel better and better as you kill off more and more nerves in your feet.

timstich

May 30, 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #17 of 22 (23163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You are getting very bad advice from this gym climber employee. Evolves for instance sometimes can be too tight even at your street shoe size. They are also not likely to stretch much as they are synthetic, so you have little recourse if you are unhappy with the fit.

When you try shoes on, wear them for at least 20 minutes in the store walking around. Make sure they do not cause pain. I would suggest you buy a lace up or velcro model for your first pair, as you can at least adjust the fit on the sides. If you get leather shoes and follow this, you can expect an even more relaxed and comfy fit in months to come.

Everyone should have a pair of shoes you can wear all day. The tight ones rarely even get used.

Zodari

Jun 9, 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #18 of 22 (22995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timstich] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple things to keep in mind;

1. No as a beginner you don't need them that tight.
2. The guy in your gym is not completely wrong, I wear a size 10.5 and wear a 7.5, but thats also is my preference and I've been climbing for over 10 years.

3. They are new shoes and need to be stretched out. This will take some time, once they are stretched they will fit better and be more comfortable. Until they are they may cause some hot spots as they are not shaped to your foot. They may also "bleed" a little until they too, i.e. the color in the fabric may bleed on you due to sweat for some time.

benbeard

Jun 15, 2010, 3:13 PM
Post #19 of 22 (22829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rudmin wrote:
If you wear them long enough, the bones in your toes will bend themselves to fit into your shoe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding
good article on how to bind your feet to fit these shoes.

Buy a cheapo pair of comfy shoes, some local shops have consignment shoes.

anthonymason

Jul 8, 2010, 6:56 AM
Post #20 of 22 (22490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Holly crap, thats funny, made me pee a little

acorneau

Jul 8, 2010, 1:11 PM
Post #21 of 22 (22456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anthonymason] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On the top of Five Ten shoe boxes:

(This post was edited by acorneau on Jul 8, 2010, 1:12 PM)
Attachments: FiveTen warning.jpg (142 KB)

acorneau

Jul 14, 2010, 3:06 PM
Post #22 of 22 (22294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] I just got my first climbing shoes. Should they hurt THIS much? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From an Evolve shoe box:

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook