Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons"
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

ptlong

May 27, 2010, 2:53 PM
Post #176 of 311 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure Patto is correct.

NIST defines the pound as exactly 0.45359237 kg.

The kilogram, in turn, is defined by a chunk of platinum-iridium kept somewhere in France. They have made copies but when later compared to the original they tend to not match up exactly. It appears that the standard, which is over 100 years old, is slowly losing mass. The changes are quite small, yet still an issue, and a better standard for the kg is something that is being worked on.

csproul

May 27, 2010, 3:06 PM
Post #177 of 311 (4290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptlong] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ptlong wrote:
I'm pretty sure Patto is correct.

NIST defines the pound as exactly 0.45359237 kg.

The kilogram, in turn, is defined by a chunk of platinum-iridium kept somewhere in France. They have made copies but when later compared to the original they tend to not match up exactly. It appears that the standard, which is over 100 years old, is slowly losing mass. The changes are quite small, yet still an issue, and a better standard for the kg is something that is being worked on.
He (and you) may be correct about the technical definition given by the NIST or whoever else defines units. My point is that in every day use, even by people with only a rudimentary knowledge of physics, people in the US understand a pound to be a unit of weight, not a unit of mass. I think this is the point that Curt has been making too. But what do I know, I barely possess even a rudimentary knowledge of physics and have gotten by in my climbing life not caring at all about how many kN my falls are generating.

(This post was edited by csproul on May 27, 2010, 3:12 PM)

swoopee

May 27, 2010, 3:10 PM
Post #178 of 311 (4288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought slug was mass and pound was force.

But anyway I thought the discussion was about kilonewtons, particularly as they apply in climbing. So here is my opinion, meaning most probably wrong and therefore worthless, anytime I fall I expect the force on the tie in points of my harness to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.85-0.90kN assuming that the fall is not so hard as to stretch the rope to max elongation before slowing my velocity to somewhere in the vicinity of 0. So that said, I have to guess that the force at the other end of the rope is close to the same, maybe a bit lower due to friction and the force on the anchor is very close to the combined forces.

In other words, assuming that the belayer is not tied in, or at least can be pulled upward a few feet, the force on the top anchor is roughly equal to, or slightly greater than the weight of the climber + the weight of the belayer.

So, while I know this is probably all wrong and everyone is gonna try to explain why, it works for me, and I do not worry about taking "reasonable" falls because I believe that the forces on climber, belayer, and anchor are relatively small quantities relative to what the gear will hold. Smile

jt512

May 27, 2010, 3:16 PM
Post #179 of 311 (4282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swoopee] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

swoopee wrote:

But anyway I thought the discussion was about kilonewtons, particularly as they apply in climbing. So here is my opinion, meaning most probably wrong and therefore worthless, anytime I fall I expect the force on the tie in points of my harness to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.85-0.90kN assuming that the fall is not so hard as to stretch the rope to max elongation before slowing my velocity to somewhere in the vicinity of 0. So that said, I have to guess that the force at the other end of the rope is close to the same, maybe a bit lower due to friction and the force on the anchor is very close to the combined forces.

In other words, assuming that the belayer is not tied in, or at least can be pulled upward a few feet, the force on the top anchor is roughly equal to, or slightly greater than the weight of the climber + the weight of the belayer.

So, while I know this is probably all wrong...

Not "probably." "Completely" might describe it.

In reply to:
...it works for me...

"It" does not "work for" you. "It" is completely wrong. It just doesn't matter, because the gear you're using is strong enough to hold the actual impact forces. If, you were to design an anchor based on "it," you'd quickly discover—well, your survivors would, anyway—how well "it" "works for" you.

Jay

hafilax

May 27, 2010, 3:32 PM
Post #180 of 311 (4269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
raingod wrote:
(Also I'm Canadian and have been raised to hate the imperial system)
Ron

Well, I'm willing to bet that the average Canadian doesn't know their weight in kilos off the top of their head nor their height in centimeters. Much like the Queen, it's debatable just how alive imperial measurements are in Canada, but at the very least we can be certain that they aren't quite dead yet.
Try getting metric screws from a hardware store.

I don't know my height or weight in metric... or is that mass. I'm so confused.

ptlong

May 27, 2010, 4:13 PM
Post #181 of 311 (4258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
My point is that in every day use, even by people with only a rudimentary knowledge of physics, people in the US understand a pound to be a unit of weight, not a unit of mass. I think this is the point that Curt has been making too.

My impression is that the average man on the street doesn't make the distinction.

redlude97

May 27, 2010, 4:29 PM
Post #182 of 311 (4250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptlong] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ptlong wrote:
csproul wrote:
My point is that in every day use, even by people with only a rudimentary knowledge of physics, people in the US understand a pound to be a unit of weight, not a unit of mass. I think this is the point that Curt has been making too.

My impression is that the average man on the street doesn't make the distinction.
Thats exactly the point. If the average man uses the term weight, then it is common to assume they are referring to pounds in force, because by the very definition, weight is a force term

swoopee

May 27, 2010, 5:01 PM
Post #183 of 311 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing off and on for 35 yrs, and no one has died yet. Wink I am not saying build anchors to hold 2 kN, all I am saying is if you have good gear placements, don't fricking worry about it, and climb on. If you don't have good gear placements, but they're the best you can get, well either climb on, or bail, but quit worrying about the forces involved in a fall because it is simply impossible to calculate, especially while climbing. No one really has a clue so this entire thread has been pointless. Now shut up and climb. Smile Or don't.

That said, I am total agreement with your initial response to the OP.

(This post was edited by swoopee on May 27, 2010, 5:07 PM)

swoopee

May 27, 2010, 5:10 PM
Post #184 of 311 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
swoopee wrote:

In reply to:
...it works for me...

"It" does not "work for" you. "It" is completely wrong. It just doesn't matter, because the gear you're using is strong enough to hold the actual impact forces. If, you were to design an anchor based on "it," you'd quickly discover—well, your survivors would, anyway—how well "it" "works for" you.

Jay

Just reread your post, and actually that was my point. We are actually in agreement here, dang it.

jt512

May 27, 2010, 5:43 PM
Post #185 of 311 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swoopee] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

swoopee wrote:
jt512 wrote:
swoopee wrote:

In reply to:
...it works for me...

Jay

Just reread your post, and actually that was my point. We are actually in agreement here, dang it.

Although we may be in agreement that, since the gear is good enough, your underestimation of the impact forces doesn't matter, we are not in agreement about the magnitude of the impact forces. You believe that the force on the anchor in a typical lead fall is just over two times body weight. However, it can easily be shown that the force on the anchor in a top rope "fall" with no slack in the rope will be about 3-1/3 times body weight. Thus, you believe that a typical lead fall will produce less force on the anchor than the mildest possible toprope "fall."

Jay

USnavy

May 27, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #186 of 311 (4200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
patto wrote:
curt wrote:
And, a "pound force," as used here, is the original and traditional definition of a "pound." The "pound mass" is a mere convenience created much later to allow weights and masses to be used interchangeably here on Earth--where the acceleration due to gravity is pretty much constant.

SIGH. You can argue tradition and convenience all you want. 1000 years ago isn't really that relevent when the difference between weight and mass wasn't established.

Today. In the modern world. A pound is a unit of mass primarily. A unit of force in the FPS system.

Today. In the modern world. A pound force is defined by a pound mass. (which is defined in terms of a kg)

Today. In the United States. In US Customary units, a pound is a unit of mass.
And yet, if you were to ask 100 people what a pound is (in the US anyway), I bet almost all of them would tell you that a pound is a unit of weight, i.e force and not a unit of mass.

If you have three cards, two yellow, one orange, all flipped upside down and identical on their back side, and you flip one over revealing a yellow card what are the chances that the next one you choose will be orange?

(This post was edited by USnavy on May 27, 2010, 5:46 PM)

jt512

May 27, 2010, 5:53 PM
Post #187 of 311 (4190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
csproul wrote:
patto wrote:
curt wrote:
And, a "pound force," as used here, is the original and traditional definition of a "pound." The "pound mass" is a mere convenience created much later to allow weights and masses to be used interchangeably here on Earth--where the acceleration due to gravity is pretty much constant.

SIGH. You can argue tradition and convenience all you want. 1000 years ago isn't really that relevent when the difference between weight and mass wasn't established.

Today. In the modern world. A pound is a unit of mass primarily. A unit of force in the FPS system.

Today. In the modern world. A pound force is defined by a pound mass. (which is defined in terms of a kg)

Today. In the United States. In US Customary units, a pound is a unit of mass.
And yet, if you were to ask 100 people what a pound is (in the US anyway), I bet almost all of them would tell you that a pound is a unit of weight, i.e force and not a unit of mass.

If you have three cards, two yellow, one orange, all flipped upside down and identical on their back side, and you flip one over revealing a yellow card what are the chances that the next one you choose will be orange?

1/2, if you flipped over the first card; 1/3 if Monty flipped it over.

Jay

edm

May 27, 2010, 5:54 PM
Post #188 of 311 (4187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As I've been reading through this thread I have found myself in agreement with Curt et. al. (the Pound is a Unit of Force camp), but I was intrigued by Patto's challenge to find a definition of the pound based on force.

After a bit of looking it appears that Patto is actually right. Here is a link to a NIST history of units of weights and measures in the US:

http://www.nist.gov/...pubs/sp447/index.cfm

I find this interesting because American schools definitely teach that a pound is a unit of force, and the classic example is that a 180 pound person on Earth will weigh 30 pounds on the moon. Apparently this is not actually the case, since Congress has defined the pound in terms of the kilogram for over 100 years at least.

Further evidence is in NIST's guide to the SI system:

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/pdf/sp811.pdf

In the conversion tables towards the end, the term "pound" is used a unit of mass, whereas the term "pound-force" is specified for force.

csproul

May 27, 2010, 6:00 PM
Post #189 of 311 (4177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That sounds like something Majid might post.... I'd have to ask whether you knew a prioiri that the first card flipped would be yellow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

What does this have to do with anything?

edit: looks like Jay beat me to it

(This post was edited by csproul on May 27, 2010, 6:03 PM)

redlude97

May 27, 2010, 6:07 PM
Post #190 of 311 (4162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edm] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edm wrote:
As I've been reading through this thread I have found myself in agreement with Curt et. al. (the Pound is a Unit of Force camp), but I was intrigued by Patto's challenge to find a definition of the pound based on force.

After a bit of looking it appears that Patto is actually right. Here is a link to a NIST history of units of weights and measures in the US:

http://www.nist.gov/...pubs/sp447/index.cfm

In that entire link, mass was not used a single time.

edm

May 27, 2010, 6:14 PM
Post #191 of 311 (4151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are 26 pdf documents in that link, all scanned in from a print document from 1976 and thus not searchable. You must be a damn fast reader!

Anyway, Appendix 5 "The U.S. yard and pound" discuss the definition of the pound based on the kilogram, which I don't think anyone is disputing is a measure of mass.

bigo

May 27, 2010, 6:15 PM
Post #192 of 311 (4148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
That sounds like something Majid might post.... I'd have to ask whether you knew a prioiri that the first card flipped would be yellow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

What does this have to do with anything?

edit: looks like Jay beat me to it

That link just blew my mind. cool thanks.

hafilax

May 27, 2010, 6:20 PM
Post #193 of 311 (4134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Can someone change the thread title to:
Meaningless discussion of kN

bigo

May 27, 2010, 6:24 PM
Post #194 of 311 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edm wrote:
There are 26 pdf documents in that link, all scanned in from a print document from 1976 and thus not searchable. You must be a damn fast reader!

Anyway, Appendix 5 "The U.S. yard and pound" discuss the definition of the pound based on the kilogram, which I don't think anyone is disputing is a measure of mass.

Sure it's a measure of mass, but people use it as a measure of weight all of the time. When have you heard anyone give you their weight in KNs?

This thread is silly. A pound is used to describe force and mass and often it doesn't matter which flavor is being used since a lb-m weighs a lb-f on earth. If it does matter you can usually figure it out in the context it is being used. If you need to know how much your truck can carry, you are probably talking about a 2000 lbs of mass that weighs 2000 lbs of force. If you want to know when a cable will break, you are talking about xxxlbs of force that could be 'generated' by suspending xxxlbs of mass from it.

redlude97

May 27, 2010, 6:35 PM
Post #195 of 311 (4322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edm wrote:

doh Blush

Partner rgold

May 27, 2010, 7:37 PM
Post #196 of 311 (4293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

In spite of the massive size of this thread, people keep pounding the same points over and over again. Pool old Newton would have succumbed to a headache days ago. Is there no way to force them to stop? If only we could just send out a cease-and-desist telegram!

I think that about covers it...

kriso9tails

May 27, 2010, 7:40 PM
Post #197 of 311 (4289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad you weighed in with your opinion here.

Partner rgold

May 27, 2010, 7:48 PM
Post #198 of 311 (4283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Discussion of Meaning of "Kilonewtons" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. If we can't force it to end, perhaps we can at least accelerate its demise?

chadnsc

May 27, 2010, 7:53 PM
Post #199 of 311 (4279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, yes it does. Now will all you internet physicist please stop as I feel like I'm listening to a group of high school geeks arguing about which version of Star Trek is better.

Partner drector

May 27, 2010, 7:53 PM
Post #200 of 311 (4277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There appears to be too much friction between the users on this thread.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook