Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

May 28, 2010, 3:54 PM
Post #26 of 43 (1619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norushnomore] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

norushnomore wrote:
marc801 wrote:
I'm surprised no one has asked the most important, obvious question yet: what time of day do you plan to fall on the rope? We all know that impact force increases exponentially the later in the day the fall is taken.

One wonders at this point, was the OP born a moron or were special classes required?

Common, you don't need to be a smart a$$ here. This is a legit question, and if you are climbing a lot you are going thru a lot of ropes.

A few years back I did get a rope on sale at Gear Express. First time I tried using it became obvious something was not right about it, no give, very stiff. I examined the packaging and found out it was over 4 years old.

I called GE guys, they were very nice, apologized and overnighted me a replacement rope.

Now hold on. You are intimating that the rope lost elasticity because it was four years old, and I find that very difficult to believe. Dynamic ropes don't appreciably lose elasticity just sitting around unused. My redpoint rope is four years old, and is still in good condition, despite the fact that it occasionally gets climbed on.

Jay

donald949

May 28, 2010, 4:05 PM
Post #27 of 43 (1609 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
norushnomore wrote:
marc801 wrote:
I'm surprised no one has asked the most important, obvious question yet: what time of day do you plan to fall on the rope? We all know that impact force increases exponentially the later in the day the fall is taken.

One wonders at this point, was the OP born a moron or were special classes required?

Common, you don't need to be a smart a$$ here. This is a legit question, and if you are climbing a lot you are going thru a lot of ropes.

A few years back I did get a rope on sale at Gear Express. First time I tried using it became obvious something was not right about it, no give, very stiff. I examined the packaging and found out it was over 4 years old.

I called GE guys, they were very nice, apologized and overnighted me a replacement rope.

Now hold on. You are intimating that the rope lost elasticity because it was four years old, and I find that very difficult to believe. Dynamic ropes don't appreciably lose elasticity just sitting around unused. My redpoint rope is four years old, and is still in good condition, despite the fact that it occasionally gets climbed on.

Jay
According to research by the Italian Alpine club, Jay is correct.
Study on the effects of wear:
http://www.caimateriali.org/index.php?id=41

That includes the following introduction which discusses aging (bold highlighted by me):
In reply to:
G. Bressan

Commission for Materials and Techniques, Italian Alpine Club

Introduction
Research on rope wear is a very difficult task; the efforts devoted to it by the UIAA Associations up to now are by far inadequate. In addition, it was not possible to rely on a consistent support by yarn and rope manufacturers. For these main reasons not much has been accomplished, though the subject has been studied for more than thirty years now. The Materials and Techniques Commission (CMT) of the Italian Alpine Club has programmed a wide range of experiments, both in laboratory and in real mountaineering and climbing. The first results are reported here. First of all let’s make it clear that it’s improper to talk about “rope ageing”; it’s only wear (or more rarely environmental effects) that causes rope degradation: in fact, contrary to all expectations, the performance of a properly stored rope does not decay with time. This has been proved by testing dynamic performances - measured at the Dodero - of several ropes kept in-house for more than 15 years without using them. Tests results (impact force, number falls etc.) were equal to the values quoted by the manufacturer[9]; this behaviour is confirmed by all rope manufacturers.

USnavy

May 28, 2010, 4:10 PM
Post #28 of 43 (1601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
norushnomore wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Jay
I brought the issue up because I recall reading manufacturer issued documentation that stated ropes should be retired after ten years regardless of use as they lose dynamic performance with time regardless of use. I will try to figure out which manufacturer I saw print that.

(This post was edited by USnavy on May 28, 2010, 4:14 PM)

donald949

May 28, 2010, 4:16 PM
Post #29 of 43 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
jt512 wrote:
norushnomore wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Jay
I brought the issue up because I recall reading manufacturer issued documentation that stated ropes should be retired after ten years regardless of use as they lose dynamic performance with time regardless of use. I will try to figure out which manufacturer I saw print that.

The paperwork that BD includes with biners, is to retire them after 10 years.
Umm, no I don't think so...

hafilax

May 28, 2010, 4:17 PM
Post #30 of 43 (1581 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
jt512 wrote:
norushnomore wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Jay
I brought the issue up because I recall reading manufacturer issued documentation that stated ropes should be retired after ten years regardless of use as they lose dynamic performance with time regardless of use. I will try to figure out which manufacturer I saw print that. I am thinking it was Beal but I will check.
That's just planned obsolescence and lawyer-speak.

donald949

May 28, 2010, 4:18 PM
Post #31 of 43 (1575 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
USnavy wrote:
jt512 wrote:
norushnomore wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Jay
I brought the issue up because I recall reading manufacturer issued documentation that stated ropes should be retired after ten years regardless of use as they lose dynamic performance with time regardless of use. I will try to figure out which manufacturer I saw print that. I am thinking it was Beal but I will check.
That's just planned obsolescence and lawyer-speak.
Exactly.

ptlong

May 28, 2010, 4:21 PM
Post #32 of 43 (1571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I recall reading manufacturer issued documentation that stated ropes should be retired after ten years regardless of use as they lose dynamic performance with time regardless of use. I will try to figure out which manufacturer I saw print that. I am thinking it was Beal but I will check.

From Beal's website:

Storage time: In good storage conditions this product may be kept for 5 years before first use without affecting its future lifetime duration in use.

(This post was edited by ptlong on May 28, 2010, 4:22 PM)

ptlong

May 28, 2010, 4:24 PM
Post #33 of 43 (1565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Ropes tend to shrink over time without usage

How much? Do you have a reference?

clc

May 28, 2010, 4:32 PM
Post #34 of 43 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptlong] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

hmm,
I've always thought USNAvy was a beginner climber. Just some of his questions seem so silly.

edge

May 28, 2010, 6:40 PM
Post #35 of 43 (1511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clc wrote:
hmm,
I've always thought USNAvy was a beginner climber. Just some of his questions seem so silly.

I have seen nothing here to reinforce a counter opinion.

adatesman

May 28, 2010, 7:02 PM
Post #36 of 43 (1497 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

marc801

May 28, 2010, 7:13 PM
Post #37 of 43 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
What I said was, “How many people do you know that have gone from taking their first belay test to sending .12’s".
First belay test? How many did you have to take before passing?

jt512

May 28, 2010, 7:19 PM
Post #38 of 43 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
USnavy wrote:
Secondly, no the rope in question is not a Beal rope. What I said was I thought I read the information regarding the storage life from Beal. I did not say or imply jack about it being a Beal rope.

Then what bearing does Beal's recommendation for their ropes have on ropes made by another manufacturer, when the other manufacturers make no such recommendation about their ropes?

Beal isn't the only rope manufacturer to make maximum shelf life recommendations. Sterling does. Mammut does. They probably all do.

Aric, you can't flame worth shit. It backfires on you every time. Leave the task to professionals. Some of us have had decades of experience.

Jay

adatesman

May 28, 2010, 7:56 PM
Post #39 of 43 (1473 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

jt512

May 28, 2010, 8:04 PM
Post #40 of 43 (1462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Aric, you can't flame worth shit. It backfires on you every time. Leave the task to professionals. Some of us have had decades of experience.

Jay

That you do, Jay. That you do. And you're right; I really do suck at flaming. Fortunately Sayar plays slow pitch.

And speaking of flaming, I finally have a chance to get back to that other thread, so take a look in 10 minutes or so. Smile

Are you a masochist, or do you just not comprehend how bad you're making yourself look in that thread?

Jay

norushnomore

May 29, 2010, 9:12 AM
Post #41 of 43 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
norushnomore wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Jay

No, you are quite right, 4 years is not a big deal for a rope. What I was trying to say is that some of these 4 years old ropes on sale are not worth buying.
In my case that info was not available but in this case there will be no way out.

jt512

May 29, 2010, 2:46 PM
Post #42 of 43 (1414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norushnomore] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

norushnomore wrote:
jt512 wrote:
norushnomore wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Jay

No, you are quite right, 4 years is not a big deal for a rope. What I was trying to say is that some of these 4 years old ropes on sale are not worth buying.
In my case that info was not available but in this case there will be no way out.

If a rope is stored probably, then it would be in the same condition after four years of storage. I'd be reluctant to buy a 4-year-old rope, too, but only because I'd be wondering how they stored it all that time.

Jay

ClimbClimb

May 30, 2010, 1:40 PM
Post #43 of 43 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why a reasonable question about a topic where there's no consensus evokes such flaming and hatred, I will never understand.

Does anyone have anything useful to contribute about how nylon ages when stored away from sunlight and fluids? Because your various opinions about USNavy are not interesting.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook