Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Stupidest beginner leader hang up ever...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ClimbClimb

May 30, 2010, 6:56 PM
Post #26 of 52 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newcat] Stupidest beginner leader hang up ever... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

newcat wrote:
Just out of curiosity: why not grab the draw in that situation?

Though it's not a hard-and-fast rule, getting into the habit of grabbing gear increases your chances of getting hurt with said gear... Imagine falling with a finger stuck in a carabiner or between quickdraw & hanger. Torn tendons, skinned fingers, all kinds of other things you don't want to picutre are likely.

Of course, people do it, esp. at the gym to get back on an overhanging route after falling or taking, but it's probably best to counter-act the natural tendency to grab for gear, especially when falling.

bill413

May 30, 2010, 8:38 PM
Post #27 of 52 (2797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbClimb] Stupidest beginner leader hang up ever... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbClimb wrote:
newcat wrote:

Though it's not a hard-and-fast rule, getting into the habit of grabbing gear increases your chances of getting hurt with said gear... Imagine falling with a finger stuck in a carabiner or between quickdraw & hanger. Torn tendons, skinned fingers, all kinds of other things you don't want to picutre are likely.

Of course, people do it, esp. at the gym to get back on an overhanging route after falling or taking, but it's probably best to counter-act the natural tendency to grab for gear, especially when falling.

Agreed.

And, test-wise, it's probably better to fall than grab gear...

i_h8_choss

May 30, 2010, 9:51 PM
Post #28 of 52 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Stupidest beginner leader hang up ever... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
ClimbClimb wrote:
newcat wrote:

Agreed.

Why not just grab the dogbone or in the OP'ers case, grab the chains.?

And don't give me that "its not safe" BS. Any competent 5.9 climber can or should be able to grab a dogbone or some chains safely without injury.

If one gets into the habit of grabbing gear, they might make a decent aid climber.

Seems like a safer alternative than a broken ankle, knee, or belay error.

Clipping stance ( while at a rest ) is the main problem here.

I say stay safe until one builds up enough confidence and stamina to make a clean clip(s).... ( at draw or the anchor ).

This is a gym right?

It's not like a free attempt by some pro female climber that's being recorded for the next new sick climbing video.

bill413

May 30, 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #29 of 52 (2775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] Stupidest beginner leader hang up ever... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
bill413 wrote:
ClimbClimb wrote:
newcat wrote:

Agreed.

And don't give me that "its not safe" BS. Any competent 5.9 climber can or should be able to grab a dogbone or some chains safely without injury.

If one gets into the habit of grabbing gear, they might make a decent aid climber.

Seems like a safer alternative than a broken ankle, knee, or belay error.

Clipping stance ( while at a rest ) is the main problem here.

I say stay safe until one builds up enough confidence and stamina to make a clean clip(s).... ( at draw or the anchor ).

This is a gym right?

It's not like a free attempt by some pro female climber that's being recorded for the next new sick climbing video.

There are two different things here.
1) Gym test
2) Real world (and everything else)

I'd say, in the gym test it'd be bad to grab draws. Probably better to fall.
In the real world - you have to assess the consequences of a fall. Clean air? Go for it. Bad consequences? Don't fall - grab draws,
But, if you're going to grab a draw, be careful - folks have rucked up their hands by grabbing & sliding down onto the biner.

BTW - "female?" (Yes, LS is, but why should that matter in this discussion?)

darkgift06

May 31, 2010, 5:35 PM
Post #30 of 52 (2749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to grab the draw or not to grab the draw.. the thought crossed my mind, & in the past I have grabbed it.. but then there is the question of how pumped are you..

are you so pumped that your going to grab the draw feel better about your situation for a second & then start pulling rope, have you grip fail & take a serious whip.

or are you going to grab the draw clip & hang dog for a while.

or will you grab the draw realize your so pumped you cant even let go to pull rope yell take & then fall with rope out & tight so that you take a bad fall & get smacked against the wall.

ladyscarlett

May 31, 2010, 7:23 PM
Post #31 of 52 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:

This is a gym right?

Wow, what gave you the idea I was a competent 5.9 climber? Heh, it must my blindingly awesome smile...

But anyhow, it IS a gym TEST, and I think the fall would be better than some draws, if nothing else, help me get the dynamics of falling. Some of us are just not born with the inherent knowledge of 'how to fall' so to speak.

I wouldn't grab the chains, which I've only seen outside on sport climbs, never in a gym. If I ever think I'm at the point of falling, I'll admit, I'm thinking of how far, what direction, the swing, etc, not...grab the chains with my completely pumped out hand...

But really, I prefer not to grab for gear. Something doesn't seem quite right about it, so I try not to get in the habit. Feels more right to grab for the rock actually...

Before I start aid climbing, I'd love to become this competent 5.9 climber that everyone is referencing around these parts.

At the end of the day, I just have to balls up and get over the idea of failing in front of some 'cool' evaluator at the gym and hope they don't revoke my membership cause I sully the climber community with my failure.

As someone told me once - 'Climber's CLIMB!' time for me to quite whining and CLIMB! hee hee

thanks for the encouragement!

cheers

ls

i_h8_choss

May 31, 2010, 7:40 PM
Post #32 of 52 (2732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] Stupidest beginner leader hang up ever... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:

This is a gym right?

Wow, what gave you the idea I was a competent 5.9 climber? Heh, it must my blindingly awesome smile...

But anyhow, it IS a gym TEST, and I think the fall would be better than some draws, if nothing else, help me get the dynamics of falling. Some of us are just not born with the inherent knowledge of 'how to fall' so to speak.

I wouldn't grab the chains, which I've only seen outside on sport climbs, never in a gym. If I ever think I'm at the point of falling, I'll admit, I'm thinking of how far, what direction, the swing, etc, not...grab the chains with my completely pumped out hand...

But really, I prefer not to grab for gear. Something doesn't seem quite right about it, so I try not to get in the habit. Feels more right to grab for the rock actually...

Before I start aid climbing, I'd love to become this competent 5.9 climber that everyone is referencing around these parts.

At the end of the day, I just have to balls up and get over the idea of failing in front of some 'cool' evaluator at the gym and hope they don't revoke my membership cause I sully the climber community with my failure.

As someone told me once - 'Climber's CLIMB!' time for me to quite whining and CLIMB! hee hee

thanks for the encouragement!

cheers

ls

whoops my bad. I'm an outdoor climber of 7 years and only in the gym for the last 7 months. You'll have to excuse me as I'm not too familiar with the gym scene. I grab gear all the time outside, especially when I'm not wearing a helmet.

But good luck with yer test.

and remember.....breathe, 3 points on, solid, relax, make the clip, and if you don't pass, go climb outside. Everybody is a winner.

Yipee for climbing!

edit to add: and I've never climbed in an American gym. Only Euro gyms, and the ones I went to didn't have tests. Some don't even require the belay cert. Different scene over here. It was a long winter.Wink

(This post was edited by i_h8_choss on May 31, 2010, 7:48 PM)

sween345

May 31, 2010, 8:32 PM
Post #33 of 52 (2721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.supertopo.com/....php?topic_id=361423

i_h8_choss

May 31, 2010, 9:03 PM
Post #34 of 52 (2714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sween345] Stupidest beginner leader hang up ever... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cool! chicks dig scars. Wink

and I'd also add that grabbing gear on an overhang becomes more dangerous than on slab or vertical.
best to fall.

I don't even want to post some pics/threads about falling accidents. Pirate

kriso9tails

May 31, 2010, 9:16 PM
Post #35 of 52 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
edit to add: and I've never climbed in an American gym. Only Euro gyms, and the ones I went to didn't have tests. Some don't even require the belay cert. Different scene over here. It was a long winter.Wink

Sometimes I think about this. I climbed in a gym once in... Austria, I think. There wasn't even any staff in the gym proper. You paid at the desk at the indoor tennis courts on the same property. "Have you climbed before?" "Yes" "Okay, have fun." Nothing to sign. No names taken. The gym was set up as lead only.

hafilax

May 31, 2010, 9:19 PM
Post #36 of 52 (2709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Stupidest beginner leader hang up ever... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:

Sometimes I think about this. I climbed in a gym once in... Austria, I think. There wasn't even any staff in the gym proper. You paid at the desk at the indoor tennis courts on the same property. "Have you climbed before?" "Yes" "Okay, have fun." Nothing to sign. No names taken. The gym was set up as lead only.
Come to think of it. Same thing at the gym I went to in Berlin. They even served food and beer at the counter.

ClimbClimb

Jun 1, 2010, 3:41 AM
Post #37 of 52 (2678 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sween345] Stupidest beginner leader hang up ever... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, that's what I was exactly the kind of thing I was alluding to, but I didn't think there was any need to get more graphic...

desertwanderer81

Jun 1, 2010, 9:24 PM
Post #38 of 52 (2637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:

and I'd also add that grabbing gear on an overhang becomes more dangerous than on slab or vertical.
best to fall.

Grabbing onto a quickdraw or chain is a lot different than actually threading your finger through a hanger to keep yourself from falling, heh.

scotty1974

Jun 1, 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #39 of 52 (2627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't worry about it..they aren't "really" watching anyways. We saw a girl take her lead test and back clip the first THREE draws. We pointed it out to the "guide" as we felt compelled to, and he calmly stated that he'd tell her when she came down.

Apparently since it was only a 5.7 there was no chance of her falling and unclipping all the pieces. Good thing she didn't come down the fast way!!!

Oh and then after he left, she continued to lead to practice for her lead test. And guess what!! Yup!! Back clipped the 1st two draws!! LOL And when we pointed it out to her belayer...yup..."We got this"!

Oh lordy lord!! Gotta love the gym!

(This post was edited by scotty1974 on Jun 1, 2010, 10:32 PM)

dingus

Jun 1, 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #40 of 52 (2619 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
ClimbClimb wrote:
newcat wrote:

Agreed.

If taken in the context of beginners, the safer arena of gym or sport climbing... maybe... its better to fall than to grab.

As one who utterly smashed his leg after thinking 'grab the pro dude' on a trad route and the not grabbing it?

My advice to younger, less injured climbers is this... if grabbing the pro will keep you whole resist the pull of someone else's ego over what are for the most part style issues..

Grabbing or not grabbing pro is a question of style. The safety aspect is much larger than pinching a finger in the gate of a biner.

For example, most 'safe' sport routes hold the potential for ground impact falls. Like the first or 2nd clips... if you are shaky, that is not the time nor place for heroic style points. Grab the fucking draw, clip it and worry about style points later.

DMT

i_h8_choss

Jun 1, 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #41 of 52 (2608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Stupidest beginner leader hang up ever... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
bill413 wrote:
ClimbClimb wrote:
newcat wrote:

Agreed.

If taken in the context of beginners, the safer arena of gym or sport climbing... maybe... its better to fall than to grab.

As one who utterly smashed his leg after thinking 'grab the pro dude' on a trad route and the not grabbing it?

My advice to younger, less injured climbers is this... if grabbing the pro will keep you whole resist the pull of someone else's ego over what are for the most part style issues..

Grabbing or not grabbing pro is a question of style. The safety aspect is much larger than pinching a finger in the gate of a biner.

For example, most 'safe' sport routes hold the potential for ground impact falls. Like the first or 2nd clips... if you are shaky, that is not the time nor place for heroic style points. Grab the fucking draw, clip it and worry about style points later.

DMT

In the game of life and injuries, style points are worthless. The outcome is most important. That's what I'm thinking.

dingus

Jun 1, 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #42 of 52 (2597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yes some stoned master hard woman wants to risk her life on points for style, that is her right and informed risk to assume.

But beginners should not put expert style limitations on themselves too soon.

Free climbing is a game. A GAME, nothing more. For some it grows into a way of life, good for them. But for most folk, when the game ends work looms and its back to the grindstone mate, escapism over.

In free climbing, you lose the ascent when you grab the draw, game over, for the free climbing anyway. But you know what?

If you don't grab the draw, fall and break your leg? Its not just that one pitch that's over... you won't be free climbing much of anything for a long time to come.

There is value in hanging on, gritting it out and pushing through to success. There will be many times for that in a climbing career.

There are also times when its bloody well prudent to grab the damn draw and don't let any Gym Lord tell you that his style is how you should climb. Even beginners are responsible for their own ass. Don't be in a hurry to surrender that responsibility to anyone (me included).

BTW, I've climbed with Ladyscarlett and will gladly rope up again with her any time, and I hope it will be soon.

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Jun 1, 2010, 11:43 PM)

Partner epoch

Jun 1, 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #43 of 52 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well put Dingus.

[/cdb]

desertwanderer81

Jun 2, 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #44 of 52 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Yes some stoned master hard woman wants to risk her life on points for style, that is her right and informed risk to assume.

But beginners should not put expert style limitations on themselves too soon.

Free climbing is a game. A GAME, nothing more. For some it grows into a way of life, good for them. But for most folk, when the game ends work looms and its back to the grindstone mate, escapism over.

In free climbing, you lose the ascent when you grab the draw, game over, for the free climbing anyway. But you know what?

If you don't grab the draw, fall and break your leg? Its not just that one pitch that's over... you won't be free climbing much of anything for a long time to come.

There is value in hanging on, gritting it out and pushing through to success. There will be many times for that in a climbing career.

There are also times when its bloody well prudent to grab the damn draw and don't let any Gym Lord tell you that his style is how you should climb. Even beginners are responsible for their own ass. Don't be in a hurry to surrender that responsibility to anyone (me included).

BTW, I've climbed with Ladyscarlett and will gladly rope up again with her any time, and I hope it will be soon.

DMT

wow, one of the best posts I've ever seen on rc.com. And dingus wrote it?!?!

mheyman

Jun 2, 2010, 1:52 AM
Post #45 of 52 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
The purpose of this post is to highlight my sheer stupidity as a beginner leader.

I don't think you are so atypical. Certainly not stupid.

In reply to:
I've taken lead falls (not many) climbing outside. And yet, I am STILL afraid to lead in the gym!!!

WHY?!?!?

Simple - outside, when topping out and finishing a lead, I'm generally at a solid stance, or hands free/secure setting up an anchor. At the gym, all the lead climbs are overhanging, so they finish from very hands dependent 3 point stances. The unfamiliarity of 'clipping in to the anchor' on lead from a negative body position is getting to my head. What if...

ps - thanks for being part of my mental process

You're gym sounds very similar to mine and I think you’ve actually stated the biggest part of the problem!

Sport leading is all about clipping, both physically and mentally. It took me a long time to realize that that top roping or moderate trad do not teach you the balance and body positions required in overhanging lead climbs! Sure you learn the stuff in between – how to get from one clip to the next and it is important. But, leading requires another set of positions that must become second nature. That’s why leading feels so hard and frustrating at first. When you first start, you really don’t know how to do it no matter how hard you can climb on TR!

That’s why I encourage people to begin leading even on just the easiest routes as soon as they think they might get up one cleanly. Learning new body positions for clipping is that important.

ladyscarlett

Jun 2, 2010, 4:50 AM
Post #46 of 52 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
some stoned master hard woman

DMT

Couldn't help but notice. Wonder what you have on your mind...

thanks as always! I too hope it will be soon when we can share a few deep breathes where this whole gym thing isn't even an issue. I've got shiny new toys!

mwahhahaha!

cheers

ls

milesenoell

Jun 2, 2010, 6:54 AM
Post #47 of 52 (2539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Stupidest beginner leader hang up ever... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:

best to fall.

Grabbing onto a quickdraw or chain is a lot different than actually threading your finger through a hanger to keep yourself from falling, heh.

Oh I did that once. Tore about as much skin off as is possible without a lot of blood.

ClimbClimb

Jun 2, 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #48 of 52 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Grabbing or not grabbing pro is a question of style.

dingus, great posts... I don't quite agree with the above, though -- grabbing gear is also a question of safety, in both directions. And that's the perspetive I was coming from in my earlier post -- the specific risks of injury. Obviously, there are many cases where these are outweighed by more serious injury risk, esp. outside. Also, the fall risk is more obvious then the mechanism of how you can get hurt by gear.

Anyway, I certainly agree with what you said, if it's "style" vs. "smashed leg", better sacrifice style than bone. That's just not what I was getting at...

dingus

Jun 3, 2010, 3:36 AM
Post #49 of 52 (2457 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbClimb] Stupidest beginner leader hang up ever... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbClimb wrote:
dingus wrote:
Grabbing or not grabbing pro is a question of style.

dingus, great posts... I don't quite agree with the above, though -- grabbing gear is also a question of safety, in both directions. And that's the perspetive I was coming from in my earlier post -- the specific risks of injury. Obviously, there are many cases where these are outweighed by more serious injury risk, esp. outside. Also, the fall risk is more obvious then the mechanism of how you can get hurt by gear.

Anyway, I certainly agree with what you said, if it's "style" vs. "smashed leg", better sacrifice style than bone. That's just not what I was getting at...

Right on. I appreciate your follow up. When I broke my ankle I made an informed choice and failed. My fault.

But looking back over it I realized I made a choice a long time ago and then doggedly, dogmatically stuck with it, never questioning it or reexamining it.

What I found was that some of my style choices were defaults - they were the name of the game when I learned it. In some sense frozen in time... this style choice I made that day, not to grab that draw, had in fact been made for me, and handed to me made and done.

I merely have to follow the proscriptions - thouest art a Free Climber and Thou Shalt Not Grab a Draw! In those heady days Bachar was free soloing madness on a daily basis, and X rated routes getting done frequently.

I let myself be influenced by them all along, rather than truly making my own choices. And as alternatives indeed became available, I had to fight those conservative tendencies to 'stick to what we were taught' to branch out - sport, walls, gyms, ice, you name it.

It seems simple to me now.... a free climbing style principle simply isn't worth several broken bones or worse. But I couldn't see that as an option, for many years - my eyes simply wouldn't see it.

Cheers
DMT

mheyman

Jun 3, 2010, 4:15 AM
Post #50 of 52 (2452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus, no one’s going to argue with what you’ve written, but grabbing a draw should rarely be the safe choice in a gym.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook