Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dolphja

Jun 11, 2010, 8:04 PM
Post #1 of 35 (8497 views)
Shortcut

Commands from the anchors
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Something that i've been curious about for a while now. The areas i typically climb at in the USA, most of the climbers on sport or trad routes for the most part, all use the same commands at the anchors when they reach the top of the pitch "Slack & Off Belay (once they're locked into the anchors)"

when i was in Yangshuo, China this past January, i was climbing with 2 Canadians Cool who used the command "Safe" to let them know they're off belay and attached to the anchors.

NOW, my question is, those of you around the world, what commands do you use when you reach the anchors?

i went through the forums and saw a few. i'd just like to see what other people use at the anchors Pirate

sittingduck

Jun 11, 2010, 8:14 PM
Post #2 of 35 (8487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dolphja] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Selvforankring

patmay81

Jun 11, 2010, 8:35 PM
Post #3 of 35 (8463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

take & off belay

dolphja

Jun 11, 2010, 8:52 PM
Post #4 of 35 (8441 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sittingduck] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sittingduck wrote:
Selvforankring

is that viking for "off belay!!!!Mad"? i would presume so

majid posted something then deleted it. i'm curious about his take on this so pleas re-postSmile

sittingduck

Jun 11, 2010, 9:09 PM
Post #5 of 35 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dolphja wrote:
sittingduck wrote:
Selvforankring

is that viking for "off belay!!!!Mad"? i would presume so

it is Norwegian for "I'm anchored to the rock, you may take me off belay".

Gmburns2000

Jun 11, 2010, 9:11 PM
Post #6 of 35 (8426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll use "safe" or "you can take me off belay" or some variant thereof depending on how easy it is to communicate with my belayor.

I picked up "safe" while living in Scotland. I picked up "Off Belay" here in the US.

What matters most is that you're able to communicate with your partner.

i_h8_choss

Jun 11, 2010, 9:19 PM
Post #7 of 35 (8417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Poland = "Lock"

dolphja

Jun 11, 2010, 9:26 PM
Post #8 of 35 (8408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
I'll use "safe" or "you can take me off belay" or some variant thereof depending on how easy it is to communicate with my belayor.

I picked up "safe" while living in Scotland. I picked up "Off Belay" here in the US.

What matters most is that you're able to communicate with your partner.

+1 Cool

sittingduck

Jun 11, 2010, 9:34 PM
Post #9 of 35 (8400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
Poland = "Lock"

I like "Lock", it is short.

"Off belay" = "Ute" in Norwegian.

csproul

Jun 12, 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #10 of 35 (8349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is in the sport climbing section, why would you say "off belay"?Wink

dolphja

Jun 12, 2010, 12:19 AM
Post #11 of 35 (8341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:

well in some instances when people are sport climbing one pitch alone, they'll rappel off the chains on 2 lines and then pull the rope through the rings or chains instead of just lowering through them. with the OP, when climbing multi-pitch, or trad lines, people will call off belay or something to that effect.

now, if a person just threads the chains and lowers down, i could see why a similar set of commands would be used after someone had reached and locked into the anchors.

i was just curious how different people around the world said their series of commands when they're up there

dolphja

Jun 12, 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #12 of 35 (8336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
Poland = "Lock"

yea, "Lock" is pretty simple. i like that.

salamanizer

Jun 12, 2010, 12:25 AM
Post #13 of 35 (8331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I typically say, " ", and then start pulling up the rope.

jakedatc

Jun 12, 2010, 1:28 AM
Post #14 of 35 (8304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [salamanizer] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Take" "Slack" "Lower"
if possible i thread anchors with a bight so i never come off belay.

i never say "Off belay" unless i'm not going back on again and rapping.

csproul

Jun 12, 2010, 1:54 AM
Post #15 of 35 (8286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dolphja wrote:
csproul wrote:

well in some instances when people are sport climbing one pitch alone, they'll rappel off the chains on 2 lines and then pull the rope through the rings or chains instead of just lowering through them. with the OP, when climbing multi-pitch, or trad lines, people will call off belay or something to that effect.

now, if a person just threads the chains and lowers down, i could see why a similar set of commands would be used after someone had reached and locked into the anchors.

i was just curious how different people around the world said their series of commands when they're up there
Yeah, I get that...but sooner or later I figured this would digress into a "real sport climbers don't rappel" argument and thus the command "off belay" is irrelevant.

jt512

Jun 12, 2010, 3:32 AM
Post #16 of 35 (8258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
dolphja wrote:
csproul wrote:

Yeah, I get that...but sooner or later I figured this would digress into a "real sport climbers don't rappel" argument and thus the command "off belay" is irrelevant.

If you're not going to rappel, then "off belay" is a lot worse than irrelevant.

Jay

jakedatc

Jun 12, 2010, 3:44 AM
Post #17 of 35 (8251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
csproul wrote:
dolphja wrote:
csproul wrote:

Jay

Yea.. definitely saw this a few weeks ago.. guy was off belay and then was kinda shocked when he wasn't back on belay when he was done doing whatever bullshit he was doing. luckily he wasn't stupid enough to just untether before asking.

for me.. and probably most if you say off belay you're unhooked and i'm walking away.

jt512

Jun 12, 2010, 4:49 AM
Post #18 of 35 (8220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
jt512 wrote:
csproul wrote:
dolphja wrote:
csproul wrote:

Jay

Yea.. definitely saw this a few weeks ago.. guy was off belay and then was kinda shocked when he wasn't back on belay when he was done doing whatever bullshit he was doing. luckily he wasn't stupid enough to just untether before asking.

for me.. and probably most if you say off belay you're unhooked and i'm walking away.

Not at a sport crag. The standard response to "Off belay" is "Are you going to rappel?" The standard response to that is "Yes, I'm rappelling." Any other response, including just "Yes," means that the belayer keeps the climber on belay, unless and until there is absolute unambiguous agreement that the climber will be rappelling.

Jay

sbaclimber

Jun 12, 2010, 5:40 AM
Post #19 of 35 (8202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dolphja wrote:
NOW, my question is, those of you around the world, what commands do you use when you reach the anchors?
Around here...
Zu & Ab, if I want to be lowered.
Stand, if I want to be taken off belay.

In NZ, it was also Safe (must be a Commonwealth thing...) if I wanted to be taken off belay, and got me? if wanted to be lowered.

csproul

Jun 12, 2010, 4:40 PM
Post #20 of 35 (8147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
csproul wrote:
dolphja wrote:
csproul wrote:

Jay
Agreed..I always cringe a little when I hear "off belay" at any sport crag.

Gabel

Jun 12, 2010, 5:08 PM
Post #21 of 35 (8139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Zu! (=Take); When I've clipped the last draw
Stand! (=Stance); When I've secured myself with sling+biner to the anchor, belayer gives slack and I can weight my attachment to the anchor
Seil frei! (=free rope); off belay when I'm rapping

Partner j_ung

Jun 12, 2010, 6:32 PM
Post #22 of 35 (8121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
jt512 wrote:
csproul wrote:
dolphja wrote:
csproul wrote:

Jay

Not at a sport crag. The standard response to "Off belay" is "Are you going to rappel?" The standard response to that is "Yes, I'm rappelling." Any other response, including just "Yes," means that the belayer keeps the climber on belay, unless and until there is absolute unambiguous agreement that the climber will be rappelling.

Jay

I ran into this just recently. A climber I was belaying got to the anchor, clipped in and said, "off belay." Unless it is already understood that the climber will rappel, that simple two-word phrase should set off alarm bells for every single climber within earshot. And of course, the very next thing I said was, "Are you going to rappel?"

I_do

Jun 13, 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #23 of 35 (8066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gabel] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gabel wrote:
Zu! (=Take); When I've clipped the last draw
Stand! (=Stance); When I've secured myself with sling+biner to the anchor, belayer gives slack and I can weight my attachment to the anchor
Seil frei! (=free rope); off belay when I'm rapping

In dutch
blok!(=take)
stand!(=stance, used as off belay)
touw vrij!(free rope)
zit ik vast(=is my rope actually connected in any way to your harness preferably through a belay device after which I expect my partner to inspect my ty-in knot) I never understood the use of the climbing/on belay system. I kinda expect my belayer to notice when I start climber and if I notice he doesn't I'll just tell him to take in slack. I think always doing a preclimbing check of the belay and the ty-in is much more usefull /rant

In german:
deine mutti schmeit orangen auf den boden und schreit: loss! Pickachu!(your momma is throwing oranges on the floor and shouting go! pickachu!)

sbaclimber

Jun 13, 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #24 of 35 (8060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I_do wrote:
In german:
Deine Mutti schmeißt Orangen auf den Boden und schreit: los! Pikachu!(your momma is throwing oranges on the floor and shouting go! pickachu!)
Fixed... Tongue

I_do

Jun 13, 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #25 of 35 (8056 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Commands from the anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
I_do wrote:
In german:
Deine Mutti schmeißt Orangen auf den Boden und schreit: los! Pikachu!(your momma is throwing oranges on the floor and shouting go! pickachu!)
Fixed... Tongue

Thanx dude, speaking a language which is mostly like german dialect makes speaking easy but doesn't really help in the spelling department Wink.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook