RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

erin

Jun 12, 2010, 4:20 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1342 views)
Shortcut

Baby Carrier
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

We have a 4 week old baby and are going on our first camping/climbing trip when she will be 7 weeks old. My parents are coming to watch her while we climb (so I don't need a lecture on the reasons not to take a baby to the crag).

However, we would like to be able to take her on short hikes while we are there. I am hoping to get some opinions and first hand accounts of the different carriers people have used.

I have a Moby wrap that I love, but feel this will be too hot for baby and me in the middle of the summer.

Any suggestions/opinions?

Thanks!

haleymay

Jun 12, 2010, 5:09 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erin] Baby Carrier [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a Moby when my kids were babies and I loved it. But it doesn't off much support on longer hikes. Try an Ergo, I still use that with my 2 and 4 yr olds. Its super comfortable and has an insert for younger babies. I love that I can carry my 2 yr old in front of me and my climbing pack on my back without a problem.

erin

Jun 12, 2010, 6:25 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [haleymay] Baby Carrier [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I have seen the Ergo's. They look pretty nice...how are they as far as heat?

haleymay

Jun 12, 2010, 6:59 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They're not too bad. You get a little sweaty on the shoulders and hip/back area since its padded but baby stays cool. It has a hood type thing that attaches to shoulder straps which is great for keep sun off them and it helps prevent the head bob when they fall asleep. Its better than a moby though with the heat. Although I've seen people who've made their own Moby's out of a stretchy mesh that I would assume stays pretty cool.

jeepnphreak

Jun 13, 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A moby wrap would not be too useful for extended hikes. I have tried and it just dosent seem to support well enough.

an Ergo like front pack with the the baby facing towards the carrier is the best potion.

at 7 weeks you have to have somthing that will really hold the head in place. My wife and I found a great "infantino" at Target for $30 ish it has padded straps that are covered with breatherable mesh that does a good job of keeping the baby at a nice temperature; and a flip up/down head holder.

acorneau

Jun 14, 2010, 3:43 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Baby Carrier [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I kind of like this idea...

chrisJoosse

Jun 14, 2010, 6:56 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We have an Ergo and love it.

We started out with this carrier http://www.firsttreks.com/...sp?ModelNumber=CC191 from Sherpani when our son was teeny-tiny and it was great for when he was very small. Worked well with him facing in or out. It stopped being useful or comfy once he got bigger- front-carriers like it and the bjorn put a lot of weight on shoulders and tire out your back.
My wife tried the moby and liked it, but I thought it was too much of a production to get it on and off- and I was never a fan of how it looked.

The Ergo came to be our weapon of choice- it's comfortable, breathes, is easy to clean, supportive, easier to get on and off than anything else we tried, adjustable, works as a front or back carrier (tho it doesn't support the child facing outward) and wads up into a ball when you're not using it. You can carry a much bigger child with it, and secure the child in a way that felt better to me than the moby. You can hand it to anybody and they'll be able to figure out how to use it. Oh, and I like the way it looks. Remember, you want a carrier that other people will want to wear too.

Smile

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook