Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

crjanow

Jun 18, 2010, 5:39 PM
Post #26 of 55 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

angry wrote:
crjanow wrote:
the best help for someone is to poke them in the brown eye with a stick. makes em climb like hell!Wink

That didn't work with your mom.
but it did with yours on the rock and in the bed.

dingus

Jun 18, 2010, 5:51 PM
Post #27 of 55 (5057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aae] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

aae wrote:
I'm a girl newbie and one of my problems is getting my butt in when I need to move through several steps in a row. My helpful belayer who I didn't really know and is an experienced, really good climber kept saying, "Get your ass into the wall", but to no avail. So...he assisted a couple of times.( puns intended). I took it as meaning to be helpful, but out of the corner of my eye saw another guy rolling his eyes. Waht level of hands-on help is Ok? Was I being naive to an ass-grab? Should I say something or just get over it?

This thread is useless without pictures.

DMT

dingus

Jun 18, 2010, 5:54 PM
Post #28 of 55 (5053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does your ass look like Lada Gaga's? If so, getting it in (so to speak) may be a challenge????

Just asking???

DMT

desertwanderer81

Jun 18, 2010, 5:56 PM
Post #29 of 55 (5051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aae wrote:
I'm a girl newbie and one of my problems is getting my butt in when I need to move through several steps in a row. My helpful belayer who I didn't really know and is an experienced, really good climber kept saying, "Get your ass into the wall", but to no avail. So...he assisted a couple of times.( puns intended). I took it as meaning to be helpful, but out of the corner of my eye saw another guy rolling his eyes. Waht level of hands-on help is Ok? Was I being naive to an ass-grab? Should I say something or just get over it?

A nice spanking is much more effective at keeping the bottom in and is a lot more fun!

patmay81

Jun 18, 2010, 6:12 PM
Post #30 of 55 (5044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say just from a guess, he was grabbing your ass. There are a lot of times (any kind of slab or vertical) where having your ass out will actually push your feet into the wall.
If he really needs to help he should show you personally, not try to contort your body into some kind of contrived position.

jt512

Jun 18, 2010, 6:30 PM
Post #31 of 55 (5029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

aae wrote:

What are you worried about?

bill413

Jun 18, 2010, 7:04 PM
Post #32 of 55 (4997 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:
Don't know what it means, but something doesn't add up...

Maybe this needs to be moved to the lab. If someone is willing to send me some women, I'd be willing to do the testing at my own expense.

I have a modified experiment - you and I will go to the gym and see how many ass grabs we can get in before the other person rolls their eyes.

I'm guessing neither one of us will get an eye roll .

Can I join in on both?

I hate the double standard and try to invalidate it whenever possible! Would love to try either test.

What I would be curious, is who would throw a slap, and who would throw a punch?

personally have NEVER had my asses grabbed, pushed, patted, or whatever for beta. So I guess if I want to get some, gotta give some!

heh

ls

Clearly, you must climb with the wrong partners!

Better seduce some others.

dugl33

Jun 18, 2010, 7:18 PM
Post #33 of 55 (4988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:

Maybe this needs to be moved to the lab. If someone is willing to send me some women, I'd be willing to do the testing at my own expense.

I have a modified experiment - you and I will go to the gym and see how many ass grabs we can get in before the other person rolls their eyes.

I'm guessing neither one of us will get an eye roll .

Can I join in on both?

I hate the double standard and try to invalidate it whenever possible! Would love to try either test.

What I would be curious, is who would throw a slap, and who would throw a punch?

personally have NEVER had my asses grabbed, pushed, patted, or whatever for beta. So I guess if I want to get some, gotta give some!

heh

ls

There comes a time when the only appropriate way to help is to grab a little ass.

Of course, when it comes to climbing, its one thing to offer someone a so called power spot when bouldering, quite another to just randomly push someones butt into the wall when they're on a top rope.
Attachments: lil_ass.jpg (22.6 KB)

ladyscarlett

Jun 18, 2010, 7:25 PM
Post #34 of 55 (4975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha!

I didn't notice the misspelling until that pic...nice!

I don't think i'm going to edit either. I'll just have you all know, yes - the view from behind is big enough for ass to be plural!

cheers

ls

bill413

Jun 18, 2010, 7:27 PM
Post #35 of 55 (4973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
aae wrote:

What are you worried about?

Now that's a supportive partner.

dbogardus

Jun 18, 2010, 7:28 PM
Post #36 of 55 (4969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like helpful beta to me. Unlike this...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...bbinmyass_92085.html

(This post was edited by dbogardus on Jun 18, 2010, 7:34 PM)

dugl33

Jun 18, 2010, 8:10 PM
Post #37 of 55 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbogardus] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dbogardus wrote:
Sounds like helpful beta to me. Unlike this...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...bbinmyass_92085.html

^^^ Lucky he didn't flip on his head. A female friend of mine, who has been both an accomplished gymnast and climber, pointed out to me that a woman should be spotted at her hips due to her lower center of gravity, whereas with a dude the center of gravity is higher.

Of course, with the OP it wasn't about good spotting technique but rather unsolicited advice in an unsolicited way. He could have simply shown her the difference, or better yet had another female show her the difference.

donald949

Jun 18, 2010, 9:24 PM
Post #38 of 55 (4899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
Haha!

I didn't notice the misspelling until that pic...nice!

I don't think i'm going to edit either. I'll just have you all know, yes - the view from behind is big enough for ass to be plural!

cheers

ls

Um....

Thinking......

OK, I'll go ahead and say it...

donald949

Jun 18, 2010, 9:24 PM
Post #39 of 55 (4897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Useless without pictures!!!11!!11!!!

timstich

Jun 19, 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #40 of 55 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Back to the original question, no, it is not necessary to push someone's ass into the wall in order to instruct them how to climb. It is also a breach of etiquette. Your male friend should have first said, "May I have permission to place my hand on your buttocks? This is purely for instruction." He did not. He is guilty therefore of grabassery. Now you know the definitive answer.

napoleon_in_rags

Jun 19, 2010, 8:48 PM
Post #41 of 55 (4773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timstich] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's an ass grab.

You notice ass pushing beta is never given to new male climbers.

lena_chita

Jun 22, 2010, 1:50 AM
Post #42 of 55 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

timstich wrote:
Back to the original question, no, it is not necessary to push someone's ass into the wall in order to instruct them how to climb.

That is correct. I have given (and asked for) a power spot a few times. It usually involves a hand on the back or two hands on the waist/upper hips-- picture where a figure skater or a dancer holds his partner when picking her up for a support. Definitely not ass.

timstich wrote:
Your male friend should have first said, "May I have permission to place my hand on your buttocks? This is purely for instruction."

Now, THIS is funny. "May I please touch your buttocks"--ROTFL!!! No one talks that way in real life. Still, I agree with a basic concept. He should have warned you that he was going to give you a power spot, make sure that you were O.K. with it and ready for it. It doesn't make sense to just shove someone into the wall, you want to time it so the assist goes along with and matches the movement initiated by the climber. So there should be some sort of: "ready?-- O.K. go!" exchange...

So, bottom line-- yeah, he was doing some groping, while (quite possibly) genuinely trying to be helpful, too. If you are O.K. with it, then no harm done, let the other guy roll his eyes all he wants-- he might just be jealous, LOL. But do suggest that next time he spots you in a more helpful way, or maybe show you the move, instead of just pushing you every time, if you actually want some climbing instruction, too.

dingus

Jun 22, 2010, 2:02 AM
Post #43 of 55 (4671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
timstich wrote:
Your male friend should have first said, "May I have permission to place my hand on your buttocks? This is purely for instruction."

Now, THIS is funny. "May I please touch your buttocks"--ROTFL!!! No one talks that way in real life.

What??? I say it all the time.

DMT

kiwiprincess

Jun 22, 2010, 2:28 AM
Post #44 of 55 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In New Zealand we call it the Girlfriend spot ..it better be your girlfriend or you're in trouble!

He could put his hands on the Hips for same effect...I'd say he was inexperienced or enjoying it.

Mostly used while bouldering. I don't like to fall so getting the girlfriend spot (catch and lift down) is fine by me. Sometimes I will get someone to hold me in to try the moves on something I don't have the core tension for. When you fall mistakes happen and the odd grope can happen by accident...But better get felt up than not spotted well.

karmiclimber

Jun 22, 2010, 6:05 AM
Post #45 of 55 (4603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aae wrote:

Nice troll, super-helpful, kind, magnanimous, ass grabbing belayer. ;-)

karmiclimber

Jun 22, 2010, 6:17 AM
Post #46 of 55 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

timstich wrote:
Back to the original question, no, it is not necessary to push someone's ass into the wall in order to instruct them how to climb. It is also a breach of etiquette. Your male friend should have first said, "May I have permission to place my hand on your buttocks? This is purely for instruction." He did not. He is guilty therefore of grabassery. Now you know the definitive answer.

I just spit out my drink.

jt512

Jun 22, 2010, 7:18 AM
Post #47 of 55 (4583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

timstich wrote:
May I have permission to place my hand on your buttocks? This is purely for instruction.

No, Tim, you may not.

Jay

rockclimbinguk

Jun 22, 2010, 8:07 PM
Post #48 of 55 (4486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brilliant! There's nothing like the mention of a nice bum to get the conversation really going - love it!

chadnsc

Jun 22, 2010, 8:19 PM
Post #49 of 55 (4478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:

Sorry, Adat is in charge of testing things to failure around here. Cool

kobaz

Jun 23, 2010, 4:47 AM
Post #50 of 55 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Helpful beta or ass grab? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:

I hope you have deep pockets. Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook