Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jarredc

Jun 26, 2010, 3:13 PM
Post #1 of 27 (7506 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by jarredc
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  

rtwilli4

Jun 26, 2010, 6:05 PM
Post #2 of 27 (7460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jarredc] How to get to the rim [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Are YOU one the the "people local to PA?"

jbone

Jun 27, 2010, 6:40 PM
Post #3 of 27 (7355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One day when you return you will discover the fruits of your labors. You will have tons of gumby's who will praise your efforts yet in the end you will be disgusted in what you have accomplished.

Take it from someone who has walked those shoes.

joeforte

Jun 27, 2010, 7:58 PM
Post #4 of 27 (7338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jarredc wrote:
if you need good directions to this hidden hush hush area I have no problem letting anyone know how to get there. People local to Pa want to keep this area low key as to not bring alot of trash into the area. But I know that if you are going to take the time to email me for directions I would be happy to end this wild goose chase for you. email me at itouchrocks@rock.com doing this shows me that you are very motivated on the area therefore your prob alot less likely to be one of those people that are going to leave trash around.

Quoted for posterity

Yeah, Jarred, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this post? You live in NM now, and for some reason you want to give out directions to sensitive spots in PA? What is the reason for this?

I can see if someone specifically asked you, but publicly offering it to anyone that asks? How do you screen for the trash dumpin', pocket drillin', access ruinin' lowlives?

(This post was edited by joeforte on Jun 28, 2010, 5:49 AM)

jarredc

Jun 28, 2010, 5:11 AM
Post #5 of 27 (7306 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by jarredc [In reply to]
Report this Post

joeforte

Jun 28, 2010, 5:30 AM
Post #6 of 27 (7297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jarredc wrote:
Well so far not one person has asked me and the few people that know where this spot is seem to be upset.

And if you wanted people to not traffic this area why list it on here at all.

I still don't get it. If no one has asked you, than why did you post this?

The people that are upset are not the ones that listed it on here. I would never list an access sensitive spot on the internet, or offer directions to "anyone that asks".

Jarred, what is your goal here? You live in NM, and you're offering up directions to a sensitive spot in PA. It didn't seem like you would have done stuff like that when you lived back here.

It really seems like you have a hidden goal here.

lena_chita

Jun 28, 2010, 3:24 PM
Post #7 of 27 (7266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] How to get to the rim [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

joeforte wrote:
jarredc wrote:
Well so far not one person has asked me and the few people that know where this spot is seem to be upset.

The people that are upset are not the ones that listed it on here. I would never list an access sensitive spot on the internet, or offer directions to "anyone that asks".

Jarred, what is your goal here? You live in NM, and you're offering up directions to a sensitive spot in PA. It didn't seem like you would have done stuff like that when you lived back here.

Pretty obvious to an outsider -- someone local pissed him off, badly.

joeforte

Jun 28, 2010, 6:43 PM
Post #8 of 27 (7226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] How to get to the rim [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
joeforte wrote:
jarredc wrote:

Yeah, I can see that, and unfortunately we will all be affected by it. Everyone but the guy in NM...

gitarooman

Jun 28, 2010, 8:21 PM
Post #9 of 27 (7186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] How to get to the rim [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
joeforte wrote:
jarredc wrote:

Speculate much?

jarredc

Jun 28, 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #10 of 27 (7144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

jarredc

Jun 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #11 of 27 (7135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok a new day some new news, 4 people have asked for directions as of last night and today. The story I got from most of them is kinda the same. One said " I wasted alot of time and gas looking for this area. Why would people post this spot on here tell me how great it is and give no directions." Now to all of you ?ing my motivation to help out these climbers just like you that want to know about this spot do you think Im wrong, helping people get to a listed area called one of the best bouldering spots, or do you think you are wrong to list it and say yea its great it is out there but you cant come. Now each person just from reading these posts now knows its a sensitive area and started off by saying hi my name is --- I promise if you help me get here I will keep the area clean and respect it. So after helping some climbers that have been looking for a while I feel like I did a positive thing. The best resolution I can come up with to make everyone happy is if you dont want people coming dont tell them its there in the first place. Remove anything posted on this site about the rim and then I will stop helping people. Thats all I ask. Then people can stop spending there time off driving around following crazy directions they find online that were put there to lead them the wrong way. Is that fair?

joeforte

Jun 28, 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #12 of 27 (7128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Double post much?

If they asked you directly, why did you have to create a thread to offer directions? Why didn't you just give the directions to them privately? I still don't see the need for this thread...

Edited to add... I, nor anyone else in this discussion was the one that posted the info for the rim up on here. If you have a problem with posting info without directions, take it up with them, not us. No reason to ruin it for the local climbing community...

(This post was edited by joeforte on Jun 28, 2010, 10:40 PM)

roclimb

Jun 28, 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #13 of 27 (7112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't understand how people always have had a difficult time finding this place. The climb on the photo in this post is about 10' from the PA turnpike.
I originally posted this spot but climbers from the local gym wanted the directions off because police occasionally ticket cars. I recommend either walking in from farther down the ridge, or parking way way off the road in the alcove where the quarry is.

jarredc

Jun 29, 2010, 2:52 AM
Post #14 of 27 (7093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roclimb] How to get to the rim [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That sounds good Rob. You should just put some directions up on the post that will not be overly descriptive, but let locals know where to start looking. Then I will take down what I posted here. The ten people around that are actually motivated outdoor climbers that will really benefit from this spot will be able to get out there and we can pass it on to the next generation; the older climbers would not have revealed these classic spots. Everyone who has contacted me was super appreciative and these are the kind of people who are going to carry out trash when they see it.

joeforte

Jun 29, 2010, 3:33 AM
Post #15 of 27 (7082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like Rob said, he originally posted the directions, but the locals up that way wanted them off, since the state police now patrol the parking. These things should be decided by the consensus of the local climbers. The locals decided that access might be in jeopardy, so Rob kindly took the directions off.

(This post was edited by joeforte on Jun 29, 2010, 3:36 AM)

jarredc

Jun 29, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #16 of 27 (7043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

joeforte

Jun 29, 2010, 5:24 PM
Post #17 of 27 (7019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no problem with it being on here, or I would have asked him to remove it long ago. If you have a problem with the rim being listed on here, you should ask him to remove it. He has listened to the wishes of locals in the past, but then again, you're not local anymore...

BTW, Your name is becoming well known Mr. Clearden!

jarredc

Jun 29, 2010, 6:14 PM
Post #18 of 27 (6995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] How to get to the rim [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a problem with it being on here. Can people go there or not? Are some of the directions posted in other forums rude or inappropriate as well as misleading? This is not what I want the youth to see. If these areas are going to be up on here I will devote my time to calling penndot or who ever needs to be contacted and have the parking issue resolved. If parking remains an issue then say the spot is closed (you guys can keep sneaking in). I definitely would not make the horrible decision to go rebolt a closed area such as Stoney when you did. It was closed! Talk about more people coming to a sensitive spot. The issue is if this place cannot be climbed at all it should not be posted.

You are really making a name for yourself Mr.Forte. I cannot believe that you said people are stealing anchors. Who does that unless you went and bolted some trad line?

joeforte

Jun 29, 2010, 9:53 PM
Post #19 of 27 (6969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, ok man, now you're just being silly. No trad climbs were bolted, I can assure you that. Yes, I replaced dangerous hardware at Stoney, which has always been listed on this site, along with directions and warnings about the access issues. The last thing that place needs is an accident.

Partner j_ung

Jun 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #20 of 27 (6955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jarredc wrote:
Ok a new day some new news, 4 people have asked for directions as of last night and today. The story I got from most of them is kinda the same. One said " I wasted alot of time and gas looking for this area. Why would people post this spot on here tell me how great it is and give no directions." Now to all of you ?ing my motivation to help out these climbers just like you that want to know about this spot do you think Im wrong, helping people get to a listed area called one of the best bouldering spots, or do you think you are wrong to list it and say yea its great it is out there but you cant come. Now each person just from reading these posts now knows its a sensitive area and started off by saying hi my name is --- I promise if you help me get here I will keep the area clean and respect it. So after helping some climbers that have been looking for a while I feel like I did a positive thing. The best resolution I can come up with to make everyone happy is if you dont want people coming dont tell them its there in the first place. Remove anything posted on this site about the rim and then I will stop helping people. Thats all I ask. Then people can stop spending there time off driving around following crazy directions they find online that were put there to lead them the wrong way. Is that fair?

Partner j_ung

Jun 29, 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #21 of 27 (6954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jarredc wrote:
That sounds good Rob. You should just put some directions up on the post that will not be overly descriptive, but let locals know where to start looking. Then I will take down what I posted here. The ten people around that are actually motivated outdoor climbers that will really benefit from this spot will be able to get out there and we can pass it on to the next generation; the older climbers would not have revealed these classic spots. Everyone who has contacted me was super appreciative and these are the kind of people who are going to carry out trash when they see it.

Partner j_ung

Jun 29, 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #22 of 27 (6953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jarredc wrote:
I have a problem with it being on here. Can people go there or not? Are some of the directions posted in other forums rude or inappropriate as well as misleading? This is not what I want the youth to see. If these areas are going to be up on here I will devote my time to calling penndot or who ever needs to be contacted and have the parking issue resolved. If parking remains an issue then say the spot is closed (you guys can keep sneaking in). I definitely would not make the horrible decision to go rebolt a closed area such as Stoney when you did. It was closed! Talk about more people coming to a sensitive spot. The issue is if this place cannot be climbed at all it should not be posted.

You are really making a name for yourself Mr.Forte. I cannot believe that you said people are stealing anchors. Who does that unless you went and bolted some trad line?

joeforte

Jun 30, 2010, 2:53 AM
Post #23 of 27 (6914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] How to get to the rim [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good catch J_ung

(This post was edited by joeforte on Jun 30, 2010, 2:55 AM)

jaablink

Jun 30, 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #24 of 27 (6879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The rim has some good pebbles to play on and a hand full of short sport and trad climbs, there is also a lot of stuff up by the dam towards the left . Access, well don’t come up there just before, or during hunting season. Parking can be an issue as you are parking on the turnpike, I park where the state troopers like to sit, it’s the hunters parking after the quarry, and parking in the quarry is not permitted contrary to what Bob said.

I have been cushion climbing there for years and know the climbers do not leave trash behind. The quaders do like to use some spots up there to party . So it ends up that they drive in the trash and we pack the trash out for those fuckers…

Jen and Sally never gave a shit about asking permission before they bolted or changed other areas before , I don’t understand why they would now?

joeforte

Jun 30, 2010, 1:04 PM
Post #25 of 27 (6858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaablink] How to get to the rim [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

John, are you referring to the Mill creek or Gardener creek dam? I always thought there might be a decent cliff near the Gardner creek dam, looking from the turnpike.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook