Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

onrockandice

Jun 30, 2010, 6:51 PM
Post #76 of 133 (11079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

PTFTW (a first I might add, but prolly doesn't count in AIA)

majid_sabet wrote:
No, it does not bother me. I think they should charge for SAR on a call like this. I mean full price with no discount.

Umm tweetie? It wasn't Bill that got hurt. Bill did nothing wrong. It was Tom. This was Tom's first accident and I'll bet you it will be the last time he simul's on 60'.

So you are saying that a climber, never having had an accident before should be charged for the mistakes of his partner who at the time of the incident was unharmed, not at all part of the fall and frankly was doing it right when the fall occurred?

Maj I like you I really do but slow down man. Your blood is hot and you smell fresh meat or something. You have the wrong guy and you are dragging him to someone else's trial.

Tom, fell. Tom is hurt. It was Tom's first RMR and frankly the man took the same gamble you take, we all take. His bet just got called.

No charge! Go climb a tree and cool off the heat is getting to you. Wink

(This post was edited by onrockandice on Jun 30, 2010, 6:51 PM)

dingus

Jun 30, 2010, 6:51 PM
Post #77 of 133 (11078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
billl7 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
you know when a 13 years old jugs the 3000 meter of rope on Everest, thats not really an Everest climbing
This bothers you? I could not care less ... no matter which side of the event we are looking at.

No, it does not bother me. I think they should charge for SAR on a call like this. I mean full price with no discount.

Charge one, charge all. Free for one, free for all.

DMT

ClimbClimb

Jun 30, 2010, 7:20 PM
Post #78 of 133 (11062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onrockandice] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onrockandice wrote:
Maj I like you I really do but slow down man. Your blood is hot and you smell fresh meat or something. You have the wrong guy and you are dragging him to someone else's trial.

Tom, fell. Tom is hurt. It was Tom's first RMR and frankly the man took the same gamble you take, we all take. His bet just got called.

+1

flamer

Jun 30, 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #79 of 133 (10995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
flamer wrote:
marc801 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Second, that was a proud objective.
Proud? 100 pitches in Eldo of all places with fixed descent lines and stashed water and food. Sounds more like a stunt.

So you'll be doing it next weekend then?

Since it would be such an easy "stunt" and all....
Where did I remotely suggest that it was easy? The best stunts are often incredibly difficult. But they're still stunts.

Where you questioned whether it was a proud objective...thats where.

A stunt is jumping a motorcycle over snake river canyon.
Climbing 100 pitchs in a day in an accomplishment that very few people will ever achieve. Regardless of the location.

However....if you can't comprehend it as possible, you might consider it a stunt.

josh

jt512

Jul 1, 2010, 2:01 AM
Post #80 of 133 (10956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
flamer wrote:
marc801 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Second, that was a proud objective.
Proud? 100 pitches in Eldo of all places with fixed descent lines and stashed water and food. Sounds more like a stunt.

So you'll be doing it next weekend then?

Since it would be such an easy "stunt" and all....
Where did I remotely suggest that it was easy? The best stunts are often incredibly difficult. But they're still stunts.

There are two three certainties in life: death, taxes, and the inability of some climbers to understand that not everybody has to climb for their reasons.

Jay

spikeddem

Jul 1, 2010, 3:12 AM
Post #81 of 133 (10936 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How about the following:

First, build an anchor (downward pull) where he initially was. Second, attach the rope to the anchor via prusik. Third, pull the rope.

He mentioned he had climbed and leapfrogged gear to get to be 15' below the top piece. Thus, it was unlikely that he was any closer than 20' to begin with. It would make sense then that building the anchor and pulling the rope would get him about 40' of rope to work with.

From here he could lower his partner to the ledge, fix the rope, and then rap down.

(This post was edited by spikeddem on Jul 1, 2010, 3:13 AM)

billl7

Jul 1, 2010, 3:55 AM
Post #82 of 133 (10913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
First, build an anchor (downward pull) where he initially was. Second, attach the rope to the anchor via prusik. Third, pull the rope.
Not sure I follow. The rope between Tom and Bill was under tension. At your third step, how does pulling the rope move it anywhere to free up slack?

spikeddem

Jul 1, 2010, 4:01 AM
Post #83 of 133 (10907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
Not sure I follow. The rope between Tom and Bill was under tension. At your third step, how does pulling the rope move it anywhere to free up slack?

The anchor is built with tension between the climber and the belayer. The prusik from the anchor is on the climber side of the rope. Once the tension is taken by the anchor (holding the downward pull from the fallen climber), then belayer can move up a foot or so, un-tie, and pull the rope?

I'm asking this stuff rather than stating, because I'm a total armchair self-rescue guy.

patto

Jul 1, 2010, 4:11 AM
Post #84 of 133 (10901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
From here he could lower his partner to the ledge, fix the rope, and then rap down.

You seem to forget that he couldn't see his partner nor could he see the ledge. He didn't know that lowering his partner more would get him to a ledge. All good in hindsight isn't it.

There is no doubt that with a bit of work he could have reached his partner. But with rescue on the way and significant difficulty in reaching him its hard to fault the decison.

billl7

Jul 1, 2010, 4:19 AM
Post #85 of 133 (10898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
billl7 wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

The anchor is built with tension between the climber and the belayer. The prusik from the anchor is on the climber side of the rope. Once the tension is taken by the anchor (holding the downward pull from the fallen climber), then belayer can move up a foot or so, un-tie, and pull the rope?

When the accident happened there was no belayer as they were simul-climbing ... but I know what you mean.

After the accident the pull wasn't down, it was up ... up until pulleyed through the top piece and then 60 or so down to the fallen leader who was hanging on the rope.

spikeddem

Jul 1, 2010, 4:32 AM
Post #86 of 133 (10888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
billl7 wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

When the accident happened there was no belayer as they were simul-climbing ... but I know what you mean.

After the accident the pull wasn't down, it was up ... up until pulleyed through the top piece and then 60 or so down to the fallen leader who was hanging on the rope.

Right, so prusik the climber's end of the rope to the anchor (the climber's weight is the downpull for the downward-directionalized anchor). Afterwards, ease weight onto the prusik by climbing up, un-tie from your own end, pull the rope through all the gear and back down to yourself.

billl7

Jul 1, 2010, 4:40 AM
Post #87 of 133 (10881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
billl7 wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
billl7 wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Right, so prusik the climber's end of the rope to the anchor (the climber's weight is the downpull for the downward-directionalized anchor). Afterwards, ease weight onto the prusik by climbing up, un-tie from your own end, pull the rope through all the gear and back down to yourself.
Ah, you are assuming the strand running down to the fallen leader is within reach of his partner. sspssp asked about this earlier. Yes, that is the A+ answer but only if it is possible to reach over to that strand. I think Bill said he was on 5.6 terrain (?) so the config could be almost anything. I suppose at some point on the way up it would become possible but near the top they'd both be relying on one piece.

patto

Jul 1, 2010, 5:16 AM
Post #88 of 133 (10858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
Ah, you are assuming the strand running down to the fallen leader is within reach of his partner. sspssp asked about this earlier. Yes, that is the A+ answer but only if it is possible to reach over to that strand. I think Bill said he was on 5.6 terrain (?) so the config could be almost anything. I suppose at some point on the way up it would become possible but near the top they'd both be relying on one piece.

Whether the climber side was reachable or not hasn't been stated but given that it wasn't mentioned I was assuming that it wasn't reachable.

majid_sabet

Jul 1, 2010, 5:20 AM
Post #89 of 133 (10852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onrockandice wrote:
PTFTW (a first I might add, but prolly doesn't count in AIA)

majid_sabet wrote:

Umm tweetie? It wasn't Bill that got hurt. Bill did nothing wrong. It was Tom. This was Tom's first accident and I'll bet you it will be the last time he simul's on 60'.

So you are saying that a climber, never having had an accident before should be charged for the mistakes of his partner who at the time of the incident was unharmed, not at all part of the fall and frankly was doing it right when the fall occurred?

No charge! Go climb a tree and cool off the heat is getting to you. Wink

This is not a court or the first ticket to be waived. You as a climber are responsible for your action. you can't ignore safety rules and expect to get a freebie. why should rescuers get hurt, risk their lives so you could publish your 100+ pitches a day book?

this was not a typical climbing accident. this was a light a fast speed climbing.

patto

Jul 1, 2010, 6:47 AM
Post #90 of 133 (10833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
This is not a court or the first ticket to be waived. You as a climber are responsible for your action. you can't ignore safety rules and expect to get a freebie. why should rescuers get hurt, risk their lives so you could publish your 100+ pitches a day book?

this was not a typical climbing accident. this was a light a fast speed climbing.

What safety rules did they ignore?

If they were being 'safe' they would have stayed in the civilised world on the couch.

billl7

Jul 1, 2010, 2:08 PM
Post #91 of 133 (10789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

If it is money you are after, you want to go after the typical climbing accidents. By definition, there aren't very many atypical accidents.

If you want to force a moral imperative on your people then your best bet is to start a church.

majid_sabet

Jul 1, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #92 of 133 (10731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

If it is money you are after, you want to go after the typical climbing accidents. By definition, there aren't very many atypical accidents.

If you want to force a moral imperative on your people then your best bet is to start a church.

Answer me this; what was the purpose of this climbing expedition ?

establishing FA or breaking record ?

billl7

Jul 1, 2010, 5:11 PM
Post #93 of 133 (10717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Near as I can tell from Bill's blog, it was a personal challenge. Outside of chosen venue which includes risk differences, I liken it to working for a personal best time in running a marathon. Given his book on speed climbing, I would not be surprised if the experience found its way into some future book of his.

I can't answer whether there was a record to break. But I have heard of a climber who once free-solo'd a lot of rock for very personal reasons and came very close to making that last fixed rap that Dingus mentioned.

So, in your perfect world, the one who does it for purely personal reasons is okay but the other is not? Or maybe the accident on an FA is okay but meeting personal challenges waives immunity?

dingus

Jul 1, 2010, 5:29 PM
Post #94 of 133 (10704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yesterday some 80 pitches were sent, on El Capitan, in an effort to set a new speed record for 3 El Cap routes in a day.

Stunt or climbing achievement... bloody impressive and beyond my ken.

Tip O da Hat to the very (very) few who can climb like this.

In my own paltry fashion I have done the high pitch simul-days - this could have happened to me or mine. We were stunting, we were just doing our thing.

I've known Bill since my days on Usenet though we never met. He was pursuing speed climbing goals then, hell, 15 years ago. To my thinking he expresses his climbing lifestyle through his climbs, same as all of us.

http://www.elcapreport.com/...t/elcap-report-63010

So call it a stunt if it makes you feel better about your own climbing choices. Me? I salute climbers who pursue their dreams, whether they succeed or come up short.

Don't judge, lest ye be judged!

DMT

olderic

Jul 1, 2010, 6:46 PM
Post #95 of 133 (10665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Charge one, charge all. Free for one, free for all.

DMT

Bingo. It really doesn't mappter if the rescuee is some frat boy who got himself benighted while blazed and soloing in flip flops and a t-shirt or Joe world class alpinist who was hit by a rock some touron therw off the edge and got hurt despite wearing the greastest helmet ever manufactures - the effort by and risk to the rescuers is likely to be about the same,

The root problem is the way that S&R is implemented in this country - a patch work of government and vulunteer, amateur and pro, skilled and unskilled. Exasperated by the typical outcry from the uninformed public every time a climbing rescue is needed.

The solution is to commercialize and privitize it. Everyone pays and everyone (will most) have insurance. It has worked in Europe for a long time.

majid_sabet

Jul 1, 2010, 7:51 PM
Post #96 of 133 (10629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Near as I can tell from Bill's blog, it was a personal challenge. Outside of chosen venue which includes risk differences, I liken it to working for a personal best time in running a marathon. Given his book on speed climbing, I would not be surprised if the experience found its way into some future book of his.

I can't answer whether there was a record to break. But I have heard of a climber who once free-solo'd a lot of rock for very personal reasons and came very close to making that last fixed rap that Dingus mentioned.

So, in your perfect world, the one who does it for purely personal reasons is okay but the other is not? Or maybe the accident on an FA is okay but meeting personal challenges waives immunity?

what if the insurance company send an investigator to see what happened and they figured out that this was not a typical climbing accident but a speed record and they decided not to pay or cover the cost.I mean most insurance when someone race their car and wrecks it do not cover the cost. Remember, things are getting tighter and everyone is fighting to save money and doing rescue is not cheap.

onrockandice

Jul 1, 2010, 8:29 PM
Post #97 of 133 (10612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
what if the insurance company send an investigator to see what happened and they figured out that this was not a typical climbing accident but a speed record and they decided not to pay or cover the cost.I mean most insurance when someone race their car and wrecks it do not cover the cost. Remember, things are getting tighter and everyone is fighting to save money and doing rescue is not cheap.

The horse is dead. Dig it up, ride it to Colorado and hand the man his fine. Good luck collecting it since he signed no waiver, did not agree in advance and didn't receive a single ticket, notice if violation or wrong doing.

Idiots (did I say that?) Angelic like you are why people are getting tight. You want to fine people and make something that isn't about money at all, about money.

You will keep this shit (that is not like me at all to swear) Crazy up and be an idiot (I did it again? What is in this glass anyways?)Blush and then to climb we will all need anti-majid (someone else has taken over my keyboard)Shocked insurance and it will be effing expensive. I'll have to carry it and so will every last one of us.

I'll be glad to file my first claim when I find you, cut your rope and shove your ass (more swearing, we are in the soapbox right?) into a freezing cold river and let you sit in it and shiver for 5 hours.

Then we'll need insurance against angry pissed off people shoving dip-shits (I need to stop. Think happy thoughts. Where's is Sandler's happy place? Oh yeah. Happy.)Tongue into ice cold rivers.

You get it Majid? (I'm being a tad harsh but it's an old topic. I've calmed myself down. Sat in that river I was talking about.)Sly

(This post was edited by onrockandice on Jul 1, 2010, 8:53 PM)

boymeetsrock

Jul 1, 2010, 8:46 PM
Post #98 of 133 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now can we move the "pay for rescue" discussion into another thread? Has it gone far enough yet?

majid_sabet

Jul 1, 2010, 8:57 PM
Post #99 of 133 (10584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onrockandice wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

The horse is dead. Dig it up, ride it to Colorado and hand the man his fine. Good luck collecting it since he signed no waiver, did not agree in advance and didn't receive a single ticket, notice if violation or wrong doing.

Idiots like you are why people are getting tight. You want to fine people and make something that isn't about money at all, about money.

You will keep this shit up and be an idiot and then to climb we will all need anti-majid insurance and it will be effing expensive. I'll have to carry it and so will every last one of us.

I'll be glad to file my first claim when I find you, cut your rope and shove your ass into a freezing cold river and let you sit in it and shiver for 5 hours.

Then we'll need insurance against angry pissed off people shoving dip-shits into ice cold rivers.

You get it Majid?

you are one mean dude and cutting rope is a crime

onrockandice

Jul 1, 2010, 9:06 PM
Post #100 of 133 (10572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

No. I'd never actually do that. You kind of get the idea though. If you get enough peoples attention we'll all need insurance. I climb because I like the freedom and the no-hassle of climbing. Don't make me have a license, terms of use, waivers and all that other stuff.

The way you are going on it won't be long. Nobody wants that at all.

I mean Honnold's Solo's are pretty much way beyond over the top. If he fell there's nothing I wouldn't voluntarily do to try and save that man's life. Yes I do mean that. I'd go out of my way to reach him or anyone and help.

It's called human nature. Maybe not actually. It's what makes American's unique though. We value life. We'll risk 10 lives to save one just look at the Vietnam Wall.

I'm volunteering for SAR in my state and there's nothing I wouldn't happily risk to help a fellow man/woman/child. It's part of what makes are person feel alive.

Don't get fines involved. Let me volunteer to go after someone if I feel like it. Don't assess fines and penalties because now you rob me of the joy of doing something I love. Next thing you know SAR people won't be welcome and appreciated. People in trouble will be like, "No I don't want SAR. I'd rather die than have to pay $30,000".

I'd have gone after Tom all by myself. But I wouldn't have had to. Others would have been there willing to risk it all to help too.

That's American. I hope that's human.

(This post was edited by onrockandice on Jul 1, 2010, 9:11 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook