Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Jul 1, 2010, 9:14 PM
Post #101 of 133 (10487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onrockandice] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

onrockandice wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
what if the insurance company send an investigator to see what happened and they figured out that this was not a typical climbing accident but a speed record and they decided not to pay or cover the cost.I mean most insurance when someone race their car and wrecks it do not cover the cost. Remember, things are getting tighter and everyone is fighting to save money and doing rescue is not cheap.

The horse is dead. Dig it up, ride it to Colorado and hand the man his fine. Good luck collecting it since he signed no waiver, did not agree in advance and didn't receive a single ticket, notice if violation or wrong doing.

Idiots (did I say that?) Angelic like you are why people are getting tight. You want to fine people and make something that isn't about money at all, about money.

You will keep this shit (that is not like me at all to swear) Crazy up and be an idiot (I did it again? What is in this glass anyways?)Blush and then to climb we will all need anti-majid (someone else has taken over my keyboard)Shocked insurance and it will be effing expensive. I'll have to carry it and so will every last one of us.

I'll be glad to file my first claim when I find you, cut your rope and shove your ass (more swearing, we are in the soapbox right?) into a freezing cold river and let you sit in it and shiver for 5 hours.

Then we'll need insurance against angry pissed off people shoving dip-shits (I need to stop. Think happy thoughts. Where's is Sandler's happy place? Oh yeah. Happy.)Tongue into ice cold rivers.

You get it Majid? (I'm being a tad harsh but it's an old topic. I've calmed myself down. Sat in that river I was talking about.)Sly

Its not just majid. You will see the 'blame attitude' coming from many climbers, from noob to journeymen. RARELY will you see it from experienced climbers though you will see it from many who think they are experienced.

The thought progression:
1. I am a safe and responsible climber
2. I think X is too dangerous or just plain irresponsible, ergo
3. I would never do X
4. These climbers (which ever climbers are the subject of the attitude) tried to do X
5. Ergo, they are unsafe or irresponsible
6. My ego doesn't like it when non-climbers and government officials lump me in with unsafe and irresponsible climbers - it gives 'us all' (but particularly me) a black eye.
7. The general public has a negative perception of climbing as risky and irresponsible
8. BUT I AM NOT IRRESPONSIBLE!!!111
9. My ego cannot abide this situation
10. So these climbers are at fault for stirring the ire of the general public and giving ME a black eye.
11. Therefore they should be punished to discourage future irresponsible and risky behavior.
12. The best way to punish them is via the wallet.

Here is a fact - those two climbers can out climb the vast majority of U.S. climbers. They played a climbing game, for their own motives. If someone wants to delve their egos to determine motives and then punish for the wrong ones, be prepared to have the same done to you.

So to those of you in the Blame Game Sport - Judge not, lest ye be judged... PUNTER.

DMT

onrockandice

Jul 1, 2010, 9:15 PM
Post #102 of 133 (10487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
you are one mean dude and cutting rope is a crime

My deepest apologies. The smilies were meant to make it funny. No need to look over your back and no I'd give you a rope before I'd cut yours.Smile

dingus

Jul 1, 2010, 9:18 PM
Post #103 of 133 (10485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

onrockandice wrote:
If you get enough peoples attention we'll all need insurance.

Just don't be like 5 others on this site and blame the world on Majid however, as its no different then him blaming these climbers.

The call for private rescue insurance has been around for way longer than majid. I'm told its the model for much of Europe and works well there. With cash strapped budgets and no sign of economic resurgence I believe its highly likely that many rescue agencies will begin assigning fault and issuing bills as a funding mechanism.

But I agree with you hysterical ranting like Majid's and the rest of the BILL EM crowd will hasten that day.

DMT

onrockandice

Jul 1, 2010, 9:18 PM
Post #104 of 133 (10483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Its not just majid. You will see the 'blame attitude' coming from many climbers, from noob to journeymen. RARELY will you see it from experienced climbers though you will see it from many who think they are experienced.

The thought progression:
1. I am a safe and responsible climber
2. I think X is too dangerous or just plain irresponsible, ergo

{...SNIP...}

Here is a fact - those two climbers can out climb the vast majority of U.S. climbers. They played a climbing game, for their own motives. If someone wants to delve their egos to determine motives and then punish for the wrong ones, be prepared to have the same done to you.

DMT

You usually say it better and cleaner but then I think you have a decade ++ on me. I raise a glass to the way you think. Pints are on me if we ever cross paths.

onrockandice

Jul 1, 2010, 9:22 PM
Post #105 of 133 (10480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Just don't be like 5 others on this site and blame the world on Majid however, as its no different then him blaming these climbers.
DMT

It's only 5? I thunk it was more. Hey look... I just noticed a crack in my helmet. How did that get there? Hey some mail from RMR? What... $25,000...

"Services rendered rescuing climber who became entangled in hoses, smacked head, cracked helmet, (but saved keg) whilst rescuing a keg that rolled over the edge of the cliff..." Drinks are on us. Now pay up.

Well... that's a spendy keg I guess but I'm sure it was worth it.

Just put it on my tab and pass me another.Tongue

(This post was edited by onrockandice on Jul 1, 2010, 9:23 PM)

dingus

Jul 1, 2010, 9:28 PM
Post #106 of 133 (10469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had my new fangled foam helmet (when they first came on the scene) on the outside of my haulbag, descending from a wall route. That was mistake one.

I decided to drop the haulbag down a short 10-foot section rather than try to down-boulder with it on my back (we had got slightly off route). That was mistake two.

The haulbag slid, tipped over and landed on its lid, about 80 lbs coming straight down on the helmet secured to the strap.

The fucking haulbag CRUSHED MY HEMLET! I mean like a cracked, shattered, stepped-on hard boiled egg, that helmet was crushed.

Lol. Put me off foam helmets for more than a decade. It was only recently I bought another one.

Where do I pay my fine???

Cheers man
DMT

johnhemlock

Jul 1, 2010, 9:29 PM
Post #107 of 133 (10467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dingus wrote:

I assume someone at rockclimbing.com determines which is which?

dingus

Jul 1, 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #108 of 133 (10445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnhemlock] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK. That's good to know.

I don't assume that, myself.

Cheers though!
DMT

Partner j_ung

Jul 1, 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #109 of 133 (10438 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
There are two three certainties in life: death, taxes, and the inability of some climbers to understand that not everybody has to climb for their reasons.

Jay

I'm not gonna use it in a signature or anything (I'm way too fond of my banana line for that), but I plan to quote the above from time to time.

CamelCigarettePack

Jul 1, 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #110 of 133 (10427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Speedy recovery Tom. Try and play smart and safe out there gents and lades.

To all there own I guess..

majid_sabet

Jul 1, 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #111 of 133 (10403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
onrockandice wrote:
If you get enough peoples attention we'll all need insurance.

The call for private rescue insurance has been around for way longer than majid. I'm told its the model for much of Europe and works well there. With cash strapped budgets and no sign of economic resurgence I believe its highly likely that many rescue agencies will begin assigning fault and issuing bills as a funding mechanism.

But I agree with you hysterical ranting like Majid's and the rest of the BILL EM crowd will hasten that day.

DMT

I am not blaming climbers nor supporting SAR to charge for rescue but I know one day (may be sooner than thought), the man in charge will pass the cost and all of us will pay the price. n00b, pros every one.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jul 1, 2010, 10:59 PM)

dingus

Jul 1, 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #112 of 133 (10401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On that we agree. I am for preserving our public rescue options for as long as possible and I think its destructive to that end, when my fellow climbers call for people to be punished and billed, like this.

Hence my objection.

So please, stop it.

Thanks!
DMT

onrockandice

Jul 2, 2010, 2:55 AM
Post #113 of 133 (10356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your post is *so* funny if you let the all CAPS get your attention.

fucking haulbag CRUSHED MY HELMET

I immediately thought... damn I bet that hurt. Then I read above and below and it the painful thoughts were dismissed. :)

billwright510

Jul 2, 2010, 3:35 AM
Post #114 of 133 (10338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tipton] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (18 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

This is Bill Wright - the guy who wrote the accident report and the other climber rescued. I just discovered this thread (sent to me via a Google alert I have set up to notify me about speed climbing references). Lots of interesting ideas here and critiques that I'd like to respond to and learn from. Since the accident I have thought of other things perhaps I should have done. While I hope to never get in a similar situation, if I do, I hope to perform better.

But I'd like to address this issue of paying for the rescue. In 1981 my partner was leading on Castle Rock when he dislocated his shoulder. I climbed up to his ledge and attempted to lower him myself, but he was in too much pain and had to hold his arm and couldn't keep himself away from the rock at the same time. So, I rapped off, drove down the canyon until I could find a phone and called RMR. I then returned to the rock and climbed back up to my buddy to be with him while we waited for the rescue. I was a freshman in college at the time.

The other rescue was when I made a terrible mistake trying to clean an overhanging route on rappel and had my buddy use a Fireman's belay to belay me. A piece popped at the wrong time I fell 75 feet, breaking my back (barely). I was carried out in a litter over lots of rough terrain but no vertical evac. After that I made a $300 donation to RMR.

For this accident I'll make a similar donation. Our company raised a bunch of money for a gift for Tom and the left over (about $300) was donated to RMR. My inlaws are donating as well. Is it enough? Probably not.

I went to the RMR meeting last night. I know many of these guys. I promote them and defend them as much as I can to the climbing community. They volunteer to the do medical support at my running race where I raise money to maintain the trails in Eldo. I think most of them would say that they like and respect me and that I represent them well. But you'd all be welcome to contact them and get their opinion.

So, I have been involved in 3 rescues over the course of my 31 years of rock climbing, where I climb hundreds of pitches a year. Have I made mistakes? Hell, yes! Am I sorry about that? Hell, yes! But I firmly believe that I do not deserve a rescue. It was my choice to climb the way I did. No one is obligated to go to my rescue. That said, people WANT to help. People WANT to be heros. I do. Obviously I don't want to need a rescue. That means I've screwed up so badly I can't get myself out of it. I'm so grateful for the help we got. But RMR folks are JAZZED about helping others. They operate in a very safe manner. Are their risks? Yes, but they do this willingly for no pay because they LIVE for this stuff.

I'll address the other ideas about what more I could have done in a later post. I appreciate everyone's ideas here and the intent to not criticize me but to help all of us learn what was the best course of action. I understand that and if you are critical of how I behaved, that's okay. I doubt you can be more critical than myself. Believe me I feel like shit for not doing more for Tom, either because I was too dumb or too chicken...

jt512

Jul 2, 2010, 3:39 AM
Post #115 of 133 (10335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billwright510] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billwright510 wrote:
Hi all,

This is Bill Wright - the guy who wrote the accident report and the other climber rescued. I just discovered this thread (sent to me via a Google alert I have set up to notify me about speed climbing references). Lots of interesting ideas here and critiques that I'd like to respond to and learn from. Since the accident I have thought of other things perhaps I should have done. While I hope to never get in a similar situation, if I do, I hope to perform better.

But I'd like to address this issue of paying for the rescue. In 1981 my partner was leading on Castle Rock when he dislocated his shoulder. I climbed up to his ledge and attempted to lower him myself, but he was in too much pain and had to hold his arm and couldn't keep himself away from the rock at the same time. So, I rapped off, drove down the canyon until I could find a phone and called RMR. I then returned to the rock and climbed back up to my buddy to be with him while we waited for the rescue. I was a freshman in college at the time.

The other rescue was when I made a terrible mistake trying to clean an overhanging route on rappel and had my buddy use a Fireman's belay to belay me. A piece popped at the wrong time I fell 75 feet, breaking my back (barely). I was carried out in a litter over lots of rough terrain but no vertical evac. After that I made a $300 donation to RMR.

For this accident I'll make a similar donation. Our company raised a bunch of money for a gift for Tom and the left over (about $300) was donated to RMR. My inlaws are donating as well. Is it enough? Probably not.

I went to the RMR meeting last night. I know many of these guys. I promote them and defend them as much as I can to the climbing community. They volunteer to the do medical support at my running race where I raise money to maintain the trails in Eldo. I think most of them would say that they like and respect me and that I represent them well. But you'd all be welcome to contact them and get their opinion.

So, I have been involved in 3 rescues over the course of my 31 years of rock climbing, where I climb hundreds of pitches a year. Have I made mistakes? Hell, yes! Am I sorry about that? Hell, yes! But I firmly believe that I do not deserve a rescue. It was my choice to climb the way I did. No one is obligated to go to my rescue. That said, people WANT to help. People WANT to be heros. I do. Obviously I don't want to need a rescue. That means I've screwed up so badly I can't get myself out of it. I'm so grateful for the help we got. But RMR folks are JAZZED about helping others. They operate in a very safe manner. Are their risks? Yes, but they do this willingly for no pay because they LIVE for this stuff.

I'll address the other ideas about what more I could have done in a later post. I appreciate everyone's ideas here and the intent to not criticize me but to help all of us learn what was the best course of action. I understand that and if you are critical of how I behaved, that's okay. I doubt you can be more critical than myself. Believe me I feel like shit for not doing more for Tom, either because I was too dumb or too chicken...

Too bad we can only give a post five stars.

Jay

billwright510

Jul 2, 2010, 3:58 AM
Post #116 of 133 (10323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you call our attempt at 100 pitches in Eldo a stunt... I guess you are disparaging us. That's okay. Yes, fixing two rappel descents and caching food/water make the feat easier. We did this because we wanted to hit 100 pitches and didn't think it was possible FOR US without these advantages. We were just trying to set a tough goal FOR US. In Boulder we are mediocre climbers. So many climbers here are so strong. Many, many climbers can VASTLY exceed what is possible for me. I'm an average athlete. We were just trying to push our limits. Someone said that my blog read like self-promotion. Dang. I'm sorry it came off that way. I'm a bit proud of what we've done and the goal we though we might be able to do, but only because it isn't very common and we didn't know of anyone doing it before. But we were aware that others are way stronger/better/faster than us. It was just my ego that made it read that way, shortcomings in my personality.

So, the goal we had might be easy for some climbers and impossible for others. For us, we figured it was right out there are our very limit and we wanted to see where that limit was... Our limit.

So, call it what you like. We just called it a goal and made up the rules for ourselves. We just figured to honestly report what we did and there wouldn't be any more to it than that. Others didn't have to respect it. If some did and got inspired to push their limits (whether above or below our limits), that would be cool...

patto

Jul 2, 2010, 4:05 AM
Post #117 of 133 (10320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good post Bill.

onrockandice

Jul 2, 2010, 4:30 AM
Post #118 of 133 (10306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill I've read about 50 or so posts from your blog and loved every one. No self-promotion. A very good read. Keep it up. I've bookmarked it and I check it daily.

-----------

Back to the, "What would you do?" discussion.

While climbing with my long-time climbing partner recently a miscommunication and my failure to follow up on the details due to implicit trust lead to us being stranded after dark 1100 feet off the ground. Before we had set out on this multi-pitch farewell climb (my partner was moving to Hood River, OR) we agreed that we would be in no hurry. We would not have watches on nor would we look at clocks or directions. We were experienced, tough, and we were going to have fun all day and well into the night. To that end I gathered headlamps, spare batteries, maps, compass, GPS, purification tablets, matches, whistles and beta. I wrapped them in a waxed butcher paper, stuffed them into a very small bag, cinched them up and handed it to my partner with the casual statement, "Forget this and we die." He took it, set it on the seat and when a construction worker pulled up 30 miles from nowhere asking us to move our car a bit more he forgot to pack it. The construction worker wanted us to hurry off so he could safely use the area for turn-arounds and we did. Neither of us any the wiser that we had no watch, no nothing that we would need to survive if something went wrong. We were out to have fun.

We screwed off and being the cocky *MEN* that we were we paid no heed to light, directions or time. We knew we had all we need packed away so we didn't worry at all. Eventually we found our climb (neither of us having been there before) and though we both were now out of water we opted to fire the pitch in 2 hours and then get some water in the creek and purify it. No worries, we were prepared.

We got to the top and realized that there didn't appear to be a walk off at all. Seemed like we were stuck up pretty high and would be doing 18 full length rappels in the dark. No worries I announced, "Bust out the lamps." That was when I heard a low whistle and a heavy thump of a pack being hurled into a rock. He had forgotten the critical package and now it was time to die. Overnight lows were still going below freezing and neither of us had much more than summer weight climbing pants and shirts. Dehydrated we, stuck at 1100 feet and starting to get a chill we tossed ropes and went down like bandits. 5 pitches later we were cloaked in darkness. I could not see my hand in front of my face. 7 hours later and loads of luck used we were down. Rapping more than a dozen times from a single hanger and praying to God it would hold. Pucker factor was unreal. Panic was really starting to gather momentum but we were down and lost.

Eventually we got back to our car about 14 hours later than we expected to but we were alive because those full length rappels on a single hanger were solid.

--- On the topic of self-rescue I kicked around our situation for a about a week now. I've come around to a bit of stock kit that I will never do a multi-pitch without ever again.

• A medium sized zipper pouch with baffles that let you unzip to get more storage if needed. ----| To stow all of this in.

• Bic lighter and a book of matches. ----|For warmth and signal fires.

• 4 cloth strips manufactured from a t-shirt. ----| To build a torch with, make tourniquet or to use as fasteners.

• Small pocket mirror. ----|To signal.

• Small pocket watch with luminous hands (wind-up). ----| Critical to know the time to log events.

• 20 or so 10" pieces of 1" mil spec tubular webbing. ----| Better than bail biners. We left more than $100 of gear on that cliff.

• 200 feet of 6mm cord rated at 1800 pounds break strength. (tag line) ----|Multi-purpose but also for full-length rappels. I can wrap this around the bag in such a way I don't notice it as it compresses the bag.

• Sports whistle. ----| We saw search and rescue on the road. The were out standing in front of their headlights. Whistles might have reached them.

• Smallest LED head lamp with 2 power modes (PETZL T2) I could find and spare batteries. ----| If you regular headlamp fails or if you forget it.

• Disposable plastic poncho. ----| Stay dry or catch rain.

• 20 purification tablets. ----| Stay alive and healthy if you find water.

• Very small single blade pocket knife. ----| To cut up webbing, clothing, stuck rope, etc...

• 10 feet of small diameter and extremely strong wire for binding. ----| This can be used for many things. You can manufacture a stick-clip for up or down-climbing.

• 2 bic disposable pens 10 sheets of folded up notepaper. ----| So you can write notes, keep a journal, write hate letters to your dumb partner that got you stranded.

• 1 roll of that thin plastic tape that is bright orange and surveyors use it to mark wooden stakes. ----| To attach at least two long streamers to the bag below that can be lobbed off the cliff to rescuers or in hopes it will be found.

• 1 small bag with a heavy machine bolt and a piece of paper that has our names, emergency contact info, medical emergency info, age, etc… ----| Let's you get critical info to rescuers who cannot talk to you. Drop in hopes it will be found by passers by.

The above list would have helped Bill and Tom a little bit. 200 feet of 1800 pound cord might have been real handy. Anyhow it would have been amazing for us. In every survival situation I could think of this stuff would make the difference and you can pack it into a very small pouch. From now on when I climb remotely I'll have this bag with me. Too easy for something to go wrong.

Bill would you add to this or do you think it's about right? Would you remove anything from it? What other thoughts have come to mind when you consider your rescue situations?

(This post was edited by onrockandice on Jul 2, 2010, 4:40 AM)

Tipton

Jul 2, 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #119 of 133 (10247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billwright510 wrote:
Hi all,

Bill,

Thanks for the great response, you provide excellent points. The thought that rescue crews actually enjoy the challenge and excitement had never crossed my mind. I just assumed it was like work to them and they dreaded it but knew it needed to be done. I imagined them getting the call and thinking "Damn, gotta go to work, now I'll miss the game tonight..." when it's probably much more like "Uh-oh, someone's in trouble, I hope I can get to them in time!". If they didn't enjoy it on some level, they probably wouldn't volunteer to do it. I'm still afraid that rescues won't be free forever, but it's good to know that people are willing to do it no matter what.

Thanks for your insight into the situation, hopefully Tom will heal quickly and this won't tarnish his love for climbing.

Partner cracklover

Jul 2, 2010, 5:14 PM
Post #120 of 133 (10202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billwright510 wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you call our attempt at 100 pitches in Eldo a stunt... I guess you are disparaging us.

The guy who called it a stunt did so in response to me saying it was a proud objective. I guess that in doing so, I somehow rubbed him the wrong way. But I'll say it again - your goal of climbing 100 pitches in a day is a notable one.

I recently turned 40, and set a goal for myself to climb, actually in my case to lead, 40 pitches in a day. I did a lot of training, and it turned out the day went perfectly. It wasn't for fame or fortune. It was just a goal. Like all climbing - we set up rules, we try to live by them, and we measure ourselves up against them.

So yeah, your day went terribly wrong. I'm very sorry for that. But it's entirely up to you to decide whether the price was worth the potential gain. Not us. It was a personal goal, after all.

All I can do is to affirm that from one punter to another - you set a lofty goal (far more so than mine!)

Wishing you well.

Cheers,

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Jul 2, 2010, 6:02 PM)

majid_sabet

Jul 2, 2010, 5:39 PM
Post #121 of 133 (10188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

so

let's assume that RMR was not coming , phone was not working and you were all by yourself up there in that situation. explain me your self-rescue plan in detail on how you were going to lower the partner down to base..

billl7

Jul 2, 2010, 8:03 PM
Post #122 of 133 (10125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
let's assume that RMR was not coming , phone was not working and you were all by yourself up there in that situation. explain me your self-rescue plan in detail on how you were going to lower the partner down to base..
Hold off on that, majid.

Let's stick to the context of the actual accident for now. Bill W may have more to say about what he thinks he might have done differently to help Tom. I'll wager that is more important to most of us than spinning off into other scenarios of your making.

wmfork

Jul 2, 2010, 8:10 PM
Post #123 of 133 (10115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billwright510 wrote:
Someone said that my blog read like self-promotion. Dang. I'm sorry it came off that way... For us, we figured it was right out there are our very limit and we wanted to see where that limit was... Our limit.
Bill, that was me. I don't think we've ever met, but I'll admit my words were perhaps a bit harsh. I apologize. I applaud your effort, and I believe regardless of age, we should all try to push beyond our perceived limit now and then. In my short climbing career, I've certainly done that a number of times, one of them ending with my partner breaking an ankle (and taking the crawl of shame out of the Black).

Before I picked up climbing, I practiced martial arts for about 10 years. My sensei would always encourage the younger practitioners to push beyond their "limits", as they are often much stronger physically than mentally. And the motto we strive for was to leave nothing behind at the end of every practice. But for the older practitioners, he'd caution them to learn their physical limit as their mental strength is capable of pushing the physical body to injury.

100 is just a number (just like a climbing grade), albeitly a big number. And from what I gather, you sacrificed some margin of safety to try to achieve that goal. I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but my question to you is: at the end of the day, would you have been at peace with yourself the same, if you'd tried in a safer style but left everything out there, whether it ended up being 50 pitches or a new record?

Partner drector

Jul 2, 2010, 8:24 PM
Post #124 of 133 (10099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'd just like to mention that when I go out top roping 5.5 climbs, I'm so bad at it that it should be considered a stunt and not an acceptable climbing endeavor. I'll start saving for the rescue now.

Dave

majid_sabet

Jul 2, 2010, 8:43 PM
Post #125 of 133 (10081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Fall while simul-climbing Eldorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Hold off on that, majid.

Let's stick to the context of the actual accident for now. Bill W may have more to say about what he thinks he might have done differently to help Tom. I'll wager that is more important to most of us than spinning off into other scenarios of your making.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jul 2, 2010, 9:20 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook