RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

rtwilli4

Jul 1, 2010, 5:58 PM
Post #1 of 14 (4922 views)
Shortcut

Rain coat, Marmot?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for a rain shell that I can pack on longer routes. Something light, packs down to nothing, I can climb it in, wear it over a fleece, etc.

I had a Marmot Precip and loved it for about 6 months until I got drunk and left it on the beach somewhere.

I got it because it was cheap, but do they hold up well?

I didn't climb in mine much... do they breath well?

A buddy of mine has a $150 Mountain Hardwear jacket that is very nice, a bit more heavy duty than my old Marmot was. I think it was either the Epic or Cohesion. Worth the money?

What about Patagonia's alpine wind jacket? I used to love their stuff when I had a job.

Any advice? Am I thinking too much? Precip still the best option?

gmggg

Jul 1, 2010, 6:21 PM
Post #2 of 14 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Rain coat, Marmot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
I'm looking for a rain shell that I can pack on longer routes. Something light, packs down to nothing, I can climb it in, wear it over a fleece, etc.

I had a Marmot Precip and loved it for about 6 months until I got drunk and left it on the beach somewhere.

I got it because it was cheap, but do they hold up well?

I didn't climb in mine much... do they breath well?

A buddy of mine has a $150 Mountain Hardwear jacket that is very nice, a bit more heavy duty than my old Marmot was. I think it was either the Epic or Cohesion. Worth the money?

What about Patagonia's alpine wind jacket? I used to love their stuff when I had a job.

Any advice? Am I thinking too much? Precip still the best option?

precip is light and cheap but it does not breathe. I am a huge fan of a 2.5 layer goretex, they call it paclite. You can find some good deals floating around online. The nice thing about goretex is that for the most part you don't have to worry about the particular jacket brand since the waterproofness is somewhat individually tested by Gore.

shoo

Jul 1, 2010, 6:27 PM
Post #3 of 14 (4905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to have a Precip. Liked it a lot, then lost it. I upgraded to an Aegis. Overall, much nicer jacket. Pretty much everything I liked about the precip, but better. Supposedly it's a lot more breathable, but I can't say for sure since I can't compare them side-by-side.

The only negatives are the fact that it doesn't really fold into a pocket (well, you can, sort of), the hood would be better off with elastic rather than the velcro tab thingy, and it costs more.

error

Jul 1, 2010, 6:40 PM
Post #4 of 14 (4896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MEC Instigator 2 - Gore ProShell, $190. Can't complain.

kachoong

Jul 1, 2010, 7:10 PM
Post #5 of 14 (4882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the Marmot Oracle. Best jacket I've had yet to climb in. I managed to get it by luck off Steepandcheap for 70 bucks. I think it retails for 160 or so. It breaths well, sheds water like a platypus, the hood fits a helmet plus rolls into the collar (or zips off completely). It's strong for its weight and I found it to perform well. Has a cozy chin guard too.

sspssp

Jul 1, 2010, 9:42 PM
Post #6 of 14 (4853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an older precip jacket. The material doesn't breath that well, but it has pit zips. With pit zips, I don't really need the material to breath that well. This is by far the lightest jacket I have come across that has them.

I don't remember the name, I have one of those ultra light wind jackets (3 or 4 ounce jobbies) from patagonia (that somebody gave to me). I like it lot, but in a sustained rain, it won't hold up like a real rain jacket (like the precip).

carabiner96

Jul 1, 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #7 of 14 (4831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] Rain coat, Marmot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my precip way more than my Mt Hardwear cohesion. They're essentially each brands version of the same thing, but my precip lasted me years, until I put holes in it with a saw.

I've had my Mt Hardwear for less than a year and it's already delaminating. Not cool.

mrtristan

Jul 1, 2010, 11:46 PM
Post #8 of 14 (4816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had two Precips. I love them. I think breathable enough. I've gone ice climbing, rock climbing, and hiking in them. Sure, there are jackets out there that are more breathable and more bombproof, but I think the Precip is a bargain at the price.

rtwilli4

Jul 2, 2010, 9:39 AM
Post #9 of 14 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [error] Rain coat, Marmot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

error wrote:
MEC Instigator 2 - Gore ProShell, $190. Can't complain.

yea, not spending that on a rain coat.

Anything else out there I'm missing?

clc

Jul 2, 2010, 2:18 PM
Post #10 of 14 (4758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the marmot precip and mountain hardwear epic are similar 120cdn. Just stay with a cheap shell.......as you don't want to get drunk and lose a 400 dollar paclite jacket . and when you get a tears, its no big deal in the cheap jacket. And beside when its pissing rain its time to leave anyway. People that work outside don't wear fancy breathable stuff, because its expensive and does really work

gunkiemike

Jul 2, 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #11 of 14 (4741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a veteran of 3 Marmot Precips. I can tell you that after about 30-40 days use, the coating at the back of your neck (where the hood folds over) will wear off. You can patch it with some vinyl-in-a-tube type glue, but when it starts, it's time to start shopping for a new one. I have an OR superlight jacket now - don't know the model name. Hope it's more durable.

carabiner96

Jul 3, 2010, 2:12 AM
Post #12 of 14 (4710 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Rain coat, Marmot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
As a veteran of 3 Marmot Precips. I can tell you that after about 30-40 days use, the coating at the back of your neck (where the hood folds over) will wear off. You can patch it with some vinyl-in-a-tube type glue, but when it starts, it's time to start shopping for a new one. I have an OR superlight jacket now - don't know the model name. Hope it's more durable.

I've never had that. Do you have spikes on the back of your neck?

acorneau

Jul 3, 2010, 2:14 AM
Post #13 of 14 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Rain coat, Marmot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
gunkiemike wrote:

I've never had that. Do you have spikes on the back of your neck?

Just the stubble from shaving. Does that count?

bearbreeder

Jul 4, 2010, 8:15 AM
Post #14 of 14 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cabela rainy river parka ... goretex paclite

99 smackaroos,

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0026939.shtml

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook