RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

jonwlkerblak

Jul 6, 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1014 views)
Shortcut

Camp 4 this time of year....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I plan to make it to the valley saturday morning and try and snag a spot at camp 4. Anyone know how early I should show up this time of year on a saturday to get a spot?

Secondly, if I show up too late and cant get a spot, is the backpackers campground the best alternative for LEGAL cheap camping in the valley w/o reservations?

kobaz

Jul 6, 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonwlkerblak] Camp 4 this time of year.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Housekeeping is a reservationless camp area. It's more expensive... i think about 30 bucks a night... but you get a nice civil war style canvas hut to sleep in.

By the way.. on the walls, It's going to be HOT.

dugl33

Jul 6, 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kobaz] Camp 4 this time of year.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
Housekeeping is a reservationless camp area. It's more expensive... i think about 30 bucks a night... but you get a nice civil war style canvas hut to sleep in.

More like a $100. Yeah, pathetic...

fresh

Jul 7, 2010, 1:33 PM
Post #4 of 9 (922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dunno about july, but a month ago the line was 70-80 people long each weekday morning, with about 50-60 spaces available. we showed up at 5:00 to be third in line.

the first night we got there camp 4 was full, so we drove about 1 mile outside of yosemite and camped 100 feet from the road, which is sorta legal. it's also like a 40 minute drive, which sucks.

kobaz

Jul 8, 2010, 11:23 PM
Post #5 of 9 (817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Camp 4 this time of year.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dugl33 wrote:
kobaz wrote:

Ouch... the price went up I see. It was like 30-40 when I was there last ('06 ish). For 150 bucks more you can stay at the lodge!

We got to camp4 at around 6am in september to be like 10th in line.

dugl33

Jul 8, 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #6 of 9 (804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
dugl33 wrote:
kobaz wrote:

Ouch... the price went up I see. It was like 30-40 when I was there last ('06 ish). For 150 bucks more you can stay at the lodge!

We got to camp4 at around 6am in september to be like 10th in line.

Yeah, its a total racket. A few years ago Camp 4 was full and on a lark I thought I'd get a Curry Village tent cabin. I had memories of yesteryear and was ready to "splurge" and spend 25 or 30 bucks on a canvas cabin and steel cot. I was shocked to see the price at 90 bucks.

To the OP, not sure what to advise. In July the Valley is more popular with tourists (dumb) and less popular with climbers (smart). I'm not sure how this impacts demand for sites at camp 4. If you can arrive Sunday morning, that would be easier - perhaps much easier. If you queue up early Saturday you might get a spot. There is actually a fair bit of turnover. Backpackers camp requires a wilderness permit which is its own hassle. There are also some forest service spots outside the park.

If you're coming from Colorado, why not spend the first night at Aspen camp on Tioga Pass before the road climbs into Tuolumne Meadows? Then find a spot Sunday morning in Tuolumne Meadows or Camp 4 on Sunday morning.

TarHeelEMT

Jul 11, 2010, 2:58 AM
Post #7 of 9 (712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just in the Valley a few weeks ago. Unless you're there in line before 6 AM, forget about it. You're probably better off staying on Forest Service land, anyway.

Bats

Jul 11, 2010, 7:37 AM
Post #8 of 9 (676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$450-580 Ahwahnee
$250 Yosemite Lodge
$109-132 Curry Village
$91 Housekeeping
Oh yeah Youth Hostel...never been but I know that should be cheap.
I have stayed in the hotels outside Yosemite in Mariposa, they are nice, but they are pricey too.
I would sleep in National Forest, but that's a bit out of the way. You are also in bear land, so secure your food. I would also do those climbs outside the valley, and get back country permit.
Also many of the popular climbs this time of the year means getting there early, especially in the valley.

(This post was edited by Bats on Jul 11, 2010, 4:48 PM)

marc801

Jul 11, 2010, 3:52 PM
Post #9 of 9 (632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] Camp 4 this time of year.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bats wrote:
Also many of the popular climbs this time of the year means getting there early, especially in the valley.
It also means the need to follow the shade and be willing to forgo certain popular climbs 'cause they're too damned hot. In particular this means things on the north side of the Valley like Royal Arches, Serenity Crack, 5 Open Books, Manure Pile Buttress, Reed's area, etc. It can also mean not climbing between about 10a - 2:30p.

Most sane climbers leave the Valley to the tourists in July and August and head to the Meadows.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook