RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

harpo_the_climber

Jun 27, 2010, 6:43 PM
Post #1 of 15 (9167 views)
Shortcut

fitting rock shoes with socks for alpine climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am considering buying a pair of climbing shoes fitted for wearing socks for use on alpine rock.

I am thinking of a pair of Five Ten Granstones fitted for either liner socks or a pair of light wool socks, mainly for warmth. I will be using them in the summer and fall in the Sierra on mid 5th routes were I want more climbing ablility than a sticky rubber approach shoe provides.

Is this good idea? Will climbing shoes fit so loose climb much better than a pair of sticky rubber approach shoes? Will they be much warmer than a pair of climbing shoes worn without socks but choosen for an all day fit?

rock_fencer

Jun 27, 2010, 7:00 PM
Post #2 of 15 (9164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [harpo_the_climber] fitting rock shoes with socks for alpine climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i've got a pair of Anasazi Verde's that are sized with thin wool socks for winter climbing. I find that even with them, im still cold when im in the shoe - they are sized moderately aggressive still so could just be low blood flow more so than just being cold. They work just fine, though it takes a bit to get used to the extra flopiness at the big toe.

rschap

Jun 27, 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #3 of 15 (9138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] fitting rock shoes with socks for alpine climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear socks with my climbing shoes in a couple of places. For instance this morning I was on Oto’s route, 5.9 four pitches, in the Colorado National Monument and I had socks on because I expected it to be hot and I think foot slim is more of a problem than socks. I climbed a bit in the Sierra’s and I always wore socks. My recommendation would be getting a pair that fit without socks and they will stretch to fit good with socks. In the Sierra’s you’ll jam your foot in cracks a lot and you’ll want some comfort for that. Tight fitting shows are great for small crimpy shorter (single pitch, bouldering) routes, and only cause pain on multi pitch.

tomtom

Jun 27, 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #4 of 15 (9123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [harpo_the_climber] fitting rock shoes with socks for alpine climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of Mythos which are a half size larger for alpine climbing with socks in the Cascades. Of course, my 'performance fit' shoes are Mythos where my toes are flat. Sometimes I forget and wear socks with those too.

If it's mid fifth, I just usually wear boots or approach shoes. With socks.

walkonyourhands

Jun 27, 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #5 of 15 (9116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.mammut.ch/...v_0046_12/Eiger.html

Tongue

Lazlo

Jun 28, 2010, 2:51 AM
Post #6 of 15 (9086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [walkonyourhands] fitting rock shoes with socks for alpine climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy Cow! That's awesome!

tyler

Jun 28, 2010, 5:07 AM
Post #7 of 15 (9065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

most people I see don't wear any socks with them. I've heard it gives a more precise fit. just remember to get some odor-eaters or something Smile

blueshrimp

Jun 28, 2010, 6:11 AM
Post #8 of 15 (9055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tyler] fitting rock shoes with socks for alpine climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I always wear socks when climbing, even in the summer and on non-alpine routes. Does that make me a n00b?

gblauer

Jun 28, 2010, 10:56 AM
Post #9 of 15 (9042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I now have to put a carbon fiber orthotic in my climbing shoe AND wear socks. Evolve makes great shoes, I got 1/2 size larger to accomodate the orthotics and the socks. I am totally comfortable in all day trad sessions at the crag. I wear a very thin pair of socks.

Partner angry

Jun 28, 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #10 of 15 (9041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

It's cheating to buy shoes to wear socks with.

You need to take a worn out old stretched pair that you've long given up on and reassign it for sock use.

Imagine how the shoe would feel, it's made in a factory in Italy (China) and has dreams of one day gracing the foot of some crankmaster or at least being there while some n00b begins the journey. The shoe is happy with this and knows if it's good and stretches just right, it might get a resole and get to live out it's remaining years on scenic walkups.

sspssp

Jun 28, 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #11 of 15 (8994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] fitting rock shoes with socks for alpine climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys got it all wrong. When it is cold out, forget the shoes. Just put a thick pair of wool socks on and climb.Tongue

welle

Jul 15, 2010, 3:28 PM
Post #12 of 15 (8768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

forget about socks - get leg warmers, or convert warm socks into climbing socks as in tech tip#6 here: http://www.climbingtrash.com/dirtbagtechtips.html

westhegimp

Sep 1, 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #13 of 15 (8551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueshrimp] fitting rock shoes with socks for alpine climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I get my favorite shoe one half size larger than normal. I wear it with a thin sock. Thinner at first during the break-in period. Thicker socks later. I do a lot of warm up laps each climbing day. On certain days I also like to get a lot of easy pitches in for mileage. I use these larger shoes for this. I also use these on long Sierra days.

This also keeps my tighter, more precise fitting shoes from getting worn out prematurely.

I've been climbing off and on for 28 years. Everything hurts now. I wish I was a NOOB again! HA! Back then I never would have been caught dead with socks on!! ;^)

Wes

rhyang

Sep 2, 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #14 of 15 (8511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haven't bothered with loose-fitting shoes or liner socks. I just took some old wool socks and cut them to make ankle warmers -

The above pic was taken on Crystal Crag N Arete last September, but I wore these on the Swiss Arete, Matterhorn's N Arete and Bear Creek Spire N Arete this past summer. I had on long underwear and a warm hat too.

Keep your core warm and your extremities will be happier -- if you let your core get too cold, blood vessels in your hands and feet (among other places) will constrict to keep heat in the core.

patmay81

Sep 2, 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #15 of 15 (8497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not exactly applicable to what you are doing, but I wore a pair of old worn out sneakers on a trek/hike/climb last summer. I didn't expect snow, it was summer, but the snow fields at the base of the mountain had not melted. I made it through the trip w/ no foot problems, even though my feet got soaked. I attribute most of it to the pair of smartwool socks I was wearing.
They are thin and fit fine under my normal everyday rock shoe also for those winter crag sessions.
These are my favorites:
http://www.rei.com/...amp;mr:referralID=NA

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook