Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

quixotle

Jul 19, 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #1 of 40 (6169 views)
Shortcut

Need help with what carabiners to buy, outdoor top rope beginner
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi everyone, i've read the faq but still have some questions. have been climbing indoors for about a year now and just took an outdoor transition course, learned how to make anchors, rappel, etc.. but my instructor said one thing on what types of carabiners to buy, i read something else online, and the guy at the store said something else.. so now i'm confused. i need 2 carabiners for the bolts, then 2 more for the master point to pass the rope through, 1 to attach my prusik loop to the loop on my harness, 1 to attach my safety rope (not sure what this is called in english, but the short rope used to lock onto the anchor while setting up the climbing rope to eventually rappel down) and then 1 more for my ATC/rope. at the moment i have 1 petlz william that i use for belaying. so i need 6 more. what should i buy? i went to the store and was so undecided i bought 3 different kinds:

2 petlz ok oval: i figured these would be good for the master point since they would line up when inverted against one another http://www.petzl.com/...ocking-carabiners/ok

2 petlz am'd: i would use these on the bolts, to run the anchor webbing through. http://www.petzl.com/...cking-carabiners/amd

2 bd rocklock screwgate: 1 for my prusik loop, 1 for my safety rope to the anchor while setting up the climbing rope http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/...carabiners/rocklock/

and i would use the petzl william i use for belaying for the ATC/rope. so have i bought the wrong things for the wrong uses? if so, what should i return and what should i exchange it for? thanks!

ps. i live in canada so i shop at MEC, feel free to point anything out on their site (mec.ca) if you think it would be better for me

(This post was edited by quixotle on Jul 19, 2010, 12:23 AM)

ensonik

Jul 19, 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #2 of 40 (6151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quixotle] Need help with what carabiners to buy, outdoor top rope beginner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm somewhat of a n00b myself, but I can tell you to not worry about it. There's a good reason why you have 3 opinions from 3 different sources. There's no 'absolute right' way to do it: Get some lockers, put them anywhere in the system, and go. All the carabiners you mention are rated for climbing, so really, get the cheapest.

I have a mix of 4 different lockers, and never question which goes where. I just use whatever I have.

No mater what others will tell you about the advantages or disadvantages over one or the other, in the end, it's pretty much academic. In practice, they're pretty much all fine.

quixotle

Jul 19, 2010, 4:04 AM
Post #3 of 40 (6115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ensonik] Need help with what carabiners to buy, outdoor top rope beginner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well my instructor said not to use certain caribiners for the masterpoint because they can pinch the cord (but i forgot which ones he mentioned), i've read oval carabiners are not as strong as D's.. i'd just like to know what's ideal for what use and why, surely someone on here can enlighten me :)

billcoe_

Jul 19, 2010, 4:17 AM
Post #4 of 40 (6110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quixotle] Need help with what carabiners to buy, outdoor top rope beginner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

You don't need carabiners. You need an experienced partner or more classes.

Good luck!

adatesman

Jul 19, 2010, 4:38 AM
Post #5 of 40 (6102 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

quixotle

Jul 19, 2010, 11:51 AM
Post #6 of 40 (6055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Need help with what carabiners to buy, outdoor top rope beginner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did not see the beginner forum, I saw the gear heads forum and that seemed pretty appropriate.. it didn't occur to me to keep looking for an even MORE appropriate forum. Apologies (moderator feel free to move). Tell me I need more classes? Our instructor went over the different shapes in hour one on day one but didn't really explain the pro's and con's of each only how to identify them. We used all the different shapes setting up our anchors and at the end of day two he said that we should buy 4 D's and 2 asymetricals. When I went to the shop the salesperson suggested something completely different so I checked online and read something completely different yet again, hence the confusion and request for clarification. Talk with some more people? What do you think I'm doing! I'm asking a forum of experienced rock climbers for their opinions.

There's also really no need to be so condescending. I'm not asking how to tie a water knot, I'm asking about a small detail. And I'm sorry if I don't know all the lingo in english I took the course in french.

ensonik

Jul 19, 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #7 of 40 (6041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quixotle wrote:
There's also really no need to be so condescending.

Welcome! :)

Really, don't worry so much about the gear. I started out the same way you did; gym, transition course and from there I learned to lead on gear on my own through books and practice. I haven't had anything stupid happen to me in the year since I started. Take it slow, and user your head. The gear will never compensate for good thinking.

In reply to:
i've read oval carabiners are not as strong as D's

On top rope, you will never get even remotely close to the rated forces. The 3 carabiners you mentioned in your original post are fine.

clc

Jul 19, 2010, 1:46 PM
Post #8 of 40 (6013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quixotle wrote:
I'm asking a forum of experienced rock climbers for their opinions.
There's also really no need to be so condescending. I'm not asking how to tie a water knot, I'm asking about a small detail.

Whoa back partner.
First and most importantly this is not a forum full of experienced climbers. There are many noobs in here too, giving bad info.
And asking this simple question about a "small detail" indicated that you really don't know what your doing and you should get help or at least remember what your instructor said.

Partner j_ung

Jul 19, 2010, 1:55 PM
Post #9 of 40 (6005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quixotle wrote:
hi everyone, i've read the faq but still have some questions. have been climbing indoors for about a year now and just took an outdoor transition course, learned how to make anchors, rappel, etc.. but my instructor said one thing on what types of carabiners to buy, i read something else online, and the guy at the store said something else.. so now i'm confused. i need 2 carabiners for the bolts, then 2 more for the master point to pass the rope through, 1 to attach my prusik loop to the loop on my harness, 1 to attach my safety rope (not sure what this is called in english, but the short rope used to lock onto the anchor while setting up the climbing rope to eventually rappel down) and then 1 more for my ATC/rope. at the moment i have 1 petlz william that i use for belaying. so i need 6 more. what should i buy? i went to the store and was so undecided i bought 3 different kinds:

2 petlz ok oval: i figured these would be good for the master point since they would line up when inverted against one another http://www.petzl.com/...ocking-carabiners/ok

2 petlz am'd: i would use these on the bolts, to run the anchor webbing through. http://www.petzl.com/...cking-carabiners/amd

2 bd rocklock screwgate: 1 for my prusik loop, 1 for my safety rope to the anchor while setting up the climbing rope http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/...carabiners/rocklock/

and i would use the petzl william i use for belaying for the ATC/rope. so have i bought the wrong things for the wrong uses? if so, what should i return and what should i exchange it for? thanks!

ps. i live in canada so i shop at MEC, feel free to point anything out on their site (mec.ca) if you think it would be better for me

IMO, you're over thinking this. But, that's prolly better than under thinking it, eh? Laugh

You'll do just fine with everything you bought.

quixotle

Jul 19, 2010, 2:09 PM
Post #10 of 40 (5993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Need help with what carabiners to buy, outdoor top rope beginner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clc wrote:
quixotle wrote:
I'm asking a forum of experienced rock climbers for their opinions.
There's also really no need to be so condescending. I'm not asking how to tie a water knot, I'm asking about a small detail.

Whoa back partner.
First and most importantly this is not a forum full of experienced climbers. There are many noobs in here too, giving bad info.
And asking this simple question about a "small detail" indicated that you really don't know what your doing and you should get help or at least remember what your instructor said.

And there is that condescension again. There's nothing to remember, my instructor did not delve into the differences between carabiner types beyond what traits visually distinguish them from one another. I appreciate your opinion that I obviously don't know what I'm doing but instead of being condescending, why not take the opportunity to be HELPFUL? Why not help educate me and all the other "n00bs"? That's what a forum is about, discussion, sharing of knowledge, opinions, ideas, etc..

I've got to say this is the worst forum experience I've ever had. And believe me I've been on the other side of the question thousands of times. I'm a certified padi instructor and avid technical diver. I spend a few minutes everyday answering beginner, intermediate, and advanced divers questions online. What I don't do is hang out on diving forums just to put down people asking simple gear questions just so I can feel better about myself. So is there anyone actually willing to help? Why do you even have a beginner forum? Why don't you just have a sticky that says "if you have a question you're obviously an idiot and don't know what you're doing, go find someone who does know what they're doing to help you, don't come here, we're all self righteous assholes"

I'll probably get banned for this post but frankly I don't care because it doesn't look like this forum is much of a resource anyways. Take care, and thanks for nothing :)

(This post was edited by quixotle on Jul 19, 2010, 2:12 PM)

sbaclimber

Jul 19, 2010, 2:25 PM
Post #11 of 40 (5975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quixotle wrote:
Why don't you just have a sticky that says "if you have a question you're obviously an idiot and don't know what you're doing, go find someone who does know what they're doing to help you, don't come here, we're all self righteous assholes"
Hehe, I think that would be a 100% accurate sticky for most of the forums here. Sly
But.....
a) this is the Beginners forum, and the help-to-asshole ratio is generally pretty good.
b) adatesman was being helpful, answered your question accurately and was in no way (imo) condescending!!
If you missunderstood his post and took offense that badly, then you might do well to simply lurk for a while and learn the the style of communication around here. It is quite obviously drastically different than what you are used to.

VVVV ...for example... VVVV

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Jul 19, 2010, 2:43 PM)

johnwesely

Jul 19, 2010, 2:37 PM
Post #12 of 40 (5965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

What can I do for you to provide the best forum experience possible?

sbaclimber

Jul 19, 2010, 2:43 PM
Post #13 of 40 (5959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Need help with what carabiners to buy, outdoor top rope beginner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
You're one of those sadistic Help-Desk people, aren't you...?

johnwesely

Jul 19, 2010, 2:54 PM
Post #14 of 40 (5948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Need help with what carabiners to buy, outdoor top rope beginner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

I was thinking more of a fast food cashier.

sbaclimber

Jul 19, 2010, 2:57 PM
Post #15 of 40 (5945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Need help with what carabiners to buy, outdoor top rope beginner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

I was thinking more of a fast food cashier.
Ah, gotchya!

..."would you like some saliva with your Happy Meal, sir?"

Perihelion

Jul 19, 2010, 3:57 PM
Post #16 of 40 (5914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Need help with what carabiners to buy, outdoor top rope beginner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My personal preference is for solid gate biners on the TR masterpoint, as I don't like how wire gate biners behave in that situation.

What is it, specifically, that you don't like about wiregates for TR anchors?

adatesman

Jul 19, 2010, 4:17 PM
Post #17 of 40 (5899 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

quixotle

Jul 19, 2010, 4:32 PM
Post #18 of 40 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Perihelion wrote:
In reply to:
My personal preference is for solid gate biners on the TR masterpoint, as I don't like how wire gate biners behave in that situation.

Not sure how best to explain it, so it might make more sense if yo go throw 2 or 3 onto a loop and play with it a bit. Basically the gates on wiregate biners tend to be wider than the spine of the biner, which makes them not play nicely with each other when loaded right next to each other on the same loop. I've seen it cause one or more gates to be pushed open under just the weight of the rope, which is something I'd rather not have happen on my TR anchor. I've not seen solid gate biners do this, hence the preference.

And since I'm giving out opinions I may as well also put in a vote for oval solidgates on TR masterpoints. They're cheap, give a nice big radius for the rope to slide through and have gates that will play nicely together even when doing the opposite&opposed thing.

My goodness we have an actual discussion!

What is the benefit (if any) to using non locking carabiners for clipping the webbing/bolts or for the master point? Why wouldn't you just always make a point of using locking carabiners? You mention that non locking oval wiregates don't play well together on a master point, is there any issue with locking ovals?

LostinMaine

Jul 19, 2010, 4:42 PM
Post #19 of 40 (5874 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quixotle wrote:
adatesman wrote:
Perihelion wrote:
In reply to:

Not sure how best to explain it, so it might make more sense if yo go throw 2 or 3 onto a loop and play with it a bit. Basically the gates on wiregate biners tend to be wider than the spine of the biner, which makes them not play nicely with each other when loaded right next to each other on the same loop. I've seen it cause one or more gates to be pushed open under just the weight of the rope, which is something I'd rather not have happen on my TR anchor. I've not seen solid gate biners do this, hence the preference.

And since I'm giving out opinions I may as well also put in a vote for oval solidgates on TR masterpoints. They're cheap, give a nice big radius for the rope to slide through and have gates that will play nicely together even when doing the opposite&opposed thing.

My goodness we have an actual discussion!

What is the benefit (if any) to using non locking carabiners for clipping the webbing/bolts or for the master point? Why wouldn't you just always make a point of using locking carabiners? You mention that non locking oval wiregates don't play well together on a master point, is there any issue with locking ovals?

I use 2 locking ovals all the time for a TR setup. However, I rarely have all my junk thrown into a pack for a dedicated TR setup. It's most likely my lead rack with a few Cliff bar crumbs mushed in. So, I don't carry a whole lot of lockers. If I need to set a TR, I use lockers for the pieces of gear that are out of my sight over the cliff edge and use 3 non lockers for my master point. I've never had a problem with three non locking wire gates as my MP, but YMMV.

quixotle

Jul 19, 2010, 4:47 PM
Post #20 of 40 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
RC.com can be a dangerous place to get advice, as unless you've been here a while you can't tell who actually knows what they're talking about and who's an overconfident n00b who thinks that just because he can fall his way up a 5.whatever sport climb that he's an expert on all things climbing related and entitled to give advice on things he's never actually done himself.

Missed this the first time. If you can't give/get advice or opinions what's the point of the forum? If someone gives bad advice I'm sure it's like any other forum, there will be five people ready to tear them apart.

(This post was edited by quixotle on Jul 19, 2010, 4:49 PM)

Perihelion

Jul 19, 2010, 4:50 PM
Post #21 of 40 (5859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought that was probably what you meant. Wiregates do get hung up on each other.

In reply to:

That is my preference too. I use two opposed Omega Pacific ovals. I notice that they tend to stand up on the rock so they are just a little less likely to twist and and end up pinching the rope between the rock and the biners.

Note to the OP: I think there is a lot to be said for always having a few ovals around. Their symetrical shape, large rope radius, and low cost make them versatile. They're comparatively heavy, but their versatility makes it worthwhile to carry 2-4 of them.

I really like Petzl OK keylock ovals, but "low cost" is definitely not one of their attributes.

avalon420

Jul 19, 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #22 of 40 (5858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quixotle wrote:
adatesman wrote:
RC.com can be a dangerous place to get advice, as unless you've been here a while you can't tell who actually knows what they're talking about and who's an overconfident n00b who thinks that just because he can fall his way up a 5.whatever sport climb that he's an expert on all things climbing related and entitled to give advice on things he's never actually done himself.

Missed this the first time. If you can't give/get advice or opinions what's the point of the forum? If someone gives bad advice I'm sure it's like any other forum, there will be five people ready to tear them apart.
Sometimes those tearing them appart know even less.... anywho, i vote for Kong STEEL locking ovals for TR masters. Those things are truck.

(This post was edited by avalon420 on Jul 19, 2010, 4:55 PM)

clc

Jul 19, 2010, 7:26 PM
Post #23 of 40 (5792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quixotle wrote:
I'm a certified padi instructor and avid technical diver. I spend a few minutes everyday answering beginner, intermediate, and advanced divers questions online. What I don't do is hang out on diving forums just to put down people asking simple gear questions just so I can feel better about myself. So is there anyone actually willing to help? Why do you even have a beginner forum? Why don't you just have a sticky that says "if you have a question you're obviously an idiot and don't know what you're doing, go find someone who does know what they're doing to help you, don't come here, we're all self righteous assholes"

I'll probably get banned for this post but frankly I don't care because it doesn't look like this forum is much of a resource anyways. Take care, and thanks for nothing :)

shoo

Jul 19, 2010, 7:49 PM
Post #24 of 40 (5367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ensonik] Need help with what carabiners to buy, outdoor top rope beginner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ensonik wrote:
I'm somewhat of a n00b myself. . .

Well, at least you admit it.

For setting up TR anchors alone, the actual shape of the carabiner isn't going to matter too much.

I'll second adatesman's suggestion of a pair of solid gate ovals for the master point. Lockers or non-lockers isn't going to make much of a difference here, though more conservative thought will say a locker or two is nice. Get something with a nice thick, round bar stock, since and your belay 'biner are the ones that are going to take the most wear from the rope, and it helps the rope run through it smoothly. Steel is overkill, but if you can get 'em cheap, why not. They'll last forever, but they're too heavy for non-TR use.

For a belay 'biner, there are tons out there. Most prefer small, round bar stock, HMS or pear shaped carabiners. There are lots of threads about this.

For other misc. 'biners, go with versatility. Light, non-locking offset Ds will always be handy, since they are generally considered the a good balance between weight, strength, and ease of clipping for general use 'biners. A couple of extra lockers, D or offset D, are nice for this kind of thing as well, though generally no necessary.

bill413

Jul 19, 2010, 7:53 PM
Post #25 of 40 (5365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Need help with what carabiners to buy, outdoor top rope beginner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clc - good work.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook