Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
Route description rant
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

zeb

Oct 3, 2008, 7:21 PM
Post #1 of 12 (14405 views)
Shortcut

Route description rant  (North_America: United_States: Minnesota)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
No offense to the person/people who've attempted to get routes up here for MN, but if I wanted the guidebook description of a route, I would open my guidebook and read. In my opinion, route descriptions should be written by people who've climbed the routes and can talk about them from firsthand experience. I'd like to be able to use this site to find out things that the guidebook doesn't tell me... do people like this route? Can the route be led? If it isn't leadable, what am I going to need to set a TR?

Right now mountainproject.com is kicking rockclimbing.com's butt in this regard.

knieveltech

Oct 3, 2008, 8:38 PM
Post #2 of 12 (14348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeb] Route description rant [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed.

Partner j_ung

Oct 3, 2008, 8:49 PM
Post #3 of 12 (14332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Route description rant [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed again. The RDB needs help.

roclimb

Oct 3, 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #4 of 12 (14318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Route description rant [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree as well.

The PA database has litterly made up names for a lot of classic routes in PA. Once I tried to change them only to have them ovrided by some tool who just botched it again.

I finally started my own webpage to supply regional climbers with acurate info and not lead them to closed areas like rc.com is famed for.
~Rob

ddt

Oct 5, 2008, 5:59 AM
Post #5 of 12 (14285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree too. Do you have specific suggestions for how we can improve the quality of our RDB?

bear55068

May 2, 2009, 4:07 PM
Post #6 of 12 (13734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Why don't you stop wining about insufficient beta and get out there and climb. Find out for yourselves. If climbers told you everything about a route than it climbing wouldn't be fun. So get off the computer and go climb. Once you climb the routes you can come on here and tell us all about them.

zeb

May 2, 2009, 9:09 PM
Post #7 of 12 (13723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bear55068] Route description rant [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Wining" isn't a word - and how do you know that I/we aren't out there climbing? (And don't say "because you're on-line" - because you are too, and so is everyone that reads this.)

Also, I wasn't whining about lack of route beta per se, I was whining about lack of solid opinion of a route. I don't have all the time in the world to go sort out which routes are choss and which are stellar, so if someone can say, "Hey, I really liked this route and it's worth climbing" then that is valuable information to me. Not to mention information like where I can find routes and what they're graded (I'm not a .12 climber, so I don't want to go waste time trying to pull down a route that's too hard for me)...

I don't really like the way you said it, but I do agree that we should all just get out and climb.

lovesclimbing

Jun 23, 2009, 2:17 AM
Post #8 of 12 (13450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Route description rant [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This isn't about the USA routes but I have tried changing some descriptions on Canadian routes and areas ether being that they were poor or someone just put up the name and nothing else, I have sent in changes within the last 6 months and still nothing has happened. I don't understand the process to change the descriptions but would think that it wouldn't be to hard. Some routes and areas would be Yamnuska alberta Canada, Curtain Call Alberta Canada, and East End Boys Yamnuska Alberta Canada.

Thank you

tutt9301

Jul 21, 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #9 of 12 (12329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with you, and i am really getting annoyed with people leaving a comment on a route "easy" or just "Fun route" why was it fun, were there challenging crimpers, overhung, i wish people would use more detail in their comments it would benefit all who use this site. I pretty much just use this site to find routes within my ability, and when i click a 5.11 route and some Sharma lover snidely posts "Easy climb, basically a warmup for me" it just makes me screaaaam!

mojomonkey

Jul 21, 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #10 of 12 (12307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tutt9301] Route description rant [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tutt9301 wrote:
I agree with you, and i am really getting annoyed with people leaving a comment on a route "easy" or just "Fun route" why was it fun, were there challenging crimpers, overhung, i wish people would use more detail in their comments it would benefit all who use this site. I pretty much just use this site to find routes within my ability, and when i click a 5.11 route and some Sharma lover snidely posts "Easy climb, basically a warmup for me" it just makes me screaaaam!

Says the guy with 3 route comments, two of which are "Flash Highball", and the third is beta for the crux. At least the beta comment is titled "Very fun climb", which beats the pants off "fun route"...

steple

Jul 23, 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #11 of 12 (12284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Route description rant [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What if you just want to add a route to your climbing log, but you don't have any info to share? An option to log an ascent without a comment would be desirable.

tutt9301

Jul 24, 2010, 5:18 AM
Post #12 of 12 (12264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Route description rant [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I don't know if you have ever been to St.Cloud or the are I am talking about but as the name states it is a rock quarry where they put in some bolts and have capable top rope climbing. The walls are 25-30 feet at their tallest so the climbs are short and usually not many moves. I get that what i posted was not supporting my actions i guess but in this situation being thorough isn't much help. Thanks for snipin at what routes i've commented on though chief ;) I stopped keeping track on this website almost as fast as i started, not very user friendly set-upr rc.com has

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook