Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bring Your Own Gear or Rent It There?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

feloniousfunk

Jul 26, 2010, 8:00 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2613 views)
Shortcut

Bring Your Own Gear or Rent It There?  (Asia: Thailand: Southern_Provinces)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be in Thailand in December and was planning on hitting up some moderate climbs in the Krabi/Koh Phi Phi area. Planning on climbing for four or five days and wondering if it is a good idea to bring your own sport climbing gear or rent it there. Is the gear there in good enough shape? Is it pricey to rent? I'll be traveling around a bunch after climbing down there and would probably want to ship my gear back rather than carry it around with me. Has anyone shipped a package from Thailand to the US? What's the pricing like on that? Any advice on the "rent there or bring your own" dilemma would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Partner j_ung

Jul 26, 2010, 8:03 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [feloniousfunk] Bring Your Own Gear or Rent It There? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

People rent climbing gear? Like rope and draws? Ewww...

bassist50

Nov 29, 2010, 4:25 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I read in a Lonely Planet or something that some shops around popular climbing destinations rent lead setups. I would imagine they'd be ok for the most part. I'd give everything a thorough check but most people underestimate their gear. I can't remember the price. I thought it was something like 30 or 40 USD for a two person full setup.

I'm heading there in January and would be interested if anyone has some first hand experience. I'm not planning on bringing anything but shoes and a chalk bag.

thecornyman

Jan 18, 2011, 12:40 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2207 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, just got back from a 2 week climbing trip in Tonsai. I'd say you don't really need to bring gear. I did and liked having it because I wanted to climb what I wanted to climb when I wanted to climb. Having said that i would not rent gear. They have a different idea of safety than we do in the states and i wouldn't trust their stuff. Bring a harness and shoes and then you shouldn't have too much trouble finding some people to climb with (in Tonsai that is, almost all climbers).

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook