RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

zuratol12

Jul 29, 2010, 3:00 PM
Post #1 of 21 (10935 views)
Shortcut

Best Bouldering in the NE
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am going on an extended road trip to the North East. I am currently planning the trip and need help picking some bouldering areas to hit on the way. Here are the details. It will be a 4 month long trip or longer. I will be living out of my car, so camping close or in the bouldering area would be better. I have limited funds, so no areas requiring $30 entrance fees or guide services. I will be leaving from San Antonio, TX and heading to Maine, possibly going into Canada. The places I have selected so far include,

Gunks, NY
Acadia National Park, ME
HP40, AL
Halifax, Nova Scotia

I realize this is a pretty shitty list, but the northeast depresses me with its lack of obvious climbing.

jrathfon

Jul 29, 2010, 3:08 PM
Post #2 of 21 (10929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zuratol12] Best Bouldering in the NE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The gunks bouldering is so-so, but very classic.

You should definitely hit Rocktown, GA up if you're going to HP40, free camping and a different style than HP.

A cool, nestled little place in PA, to stop at on the way is Haycock Mountain, you won't find any rock like it in the world (except elsewhere in PA), find a guidebook at the downingtown rock gym.

Lincoln Woods is probably the most extensive bouldering in new england, it's a town park in Rhode Island, good guidebooks exist. The rocks are glacial erratics, very cool stone. There is a state park nearby with camping. Definitely worth the visit.

I've heard Pawtuckaway in NH is not that great, but it's there, and there's a lot.

Bouldering exists at Rumney...

Smuggler's Notch in VT has a fair share as well.

bigjonnyc

Jul 29, 2010, 3:54 PM
Post #3 of 21 (10913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coopers Rock State Forest in WV, right outside or Morgantown has some great bouldering. There is a gude available for only $15 on Amazon. The only camping I'm aware of though is the one right there in the state forest and is probably $20-25 a night. Definitely a must hit spot though.

dbogardus

Jul 29, 2010, 4:03 PM
Post #4 of 21 (10907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jrathfon] Best Bouldering in the NE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jrathfon wrote:
The gunks bouldering is so-so, but very classic.

You should definitely hit Rocktown, GA up if you're going to HP40, free camping and a different style than HP.

A cool, nestled little place in PA, to stop at on the way is Haycock Mountain, you won't find any rock like it in the world (except elsewhere in PA), find a guidebook at the downingtown rock gym.

Lincoln Woods is probably the most extensive bouldering in new england, it's a town park in Rhode Island, good guidebooks exist. The rocks are glacial erratics, very cool stone. There is a state park nearby with camping. Definitely worth the visit.

I've heard Pawtuckaway in NH is not that great, but it's there, and there's a lot.

Bouldering exists at Rumney...

Smuggler's Notch in VT has a fair share as well.

Haycock is great, definitely some of the best in PA.

You're not going to find a guide at the Downingtown gym though. Your best bet is to use the new PA Climbing guide (www.paclimbing.com). Rob has a guide you can purchase for the whole NE of PA or there's a free small topo of one of the more popular areas at Haycock, called the Hanger, for free.

If you're planning on being there in the summer be careful. It's very overgrown, paths are difficult to follow if you're unfamiliar with the area, and tons of poison ivy. Having said that, the unique rock quality is worth it.

Builderdash

Jul 29, 2010, 8:08 PM
Post #5 of 21 (10880 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbogardus] Best Bouldering in the NE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump for Haycock.

jbro_135

Jul 30, 2010, 1:12 AM
Post #6 of 21 (10849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you come to newfoundland you could have the opportunity to climb with me and no one gives a shit where you camp for free

jh_angel

Jul 30, 2010, 2:29 AM
Post #7 of 21 (10839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jrathfon] Best Bouldering in the NE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jrathfon wrote:

Pawtuckaway is far better than Lincoln Woods, and the Woods are good. P-way has better rock, better scenery and the climbs are frequently very classic.

If you go bouldering in New England and don't stop at Pawtuckaway, you're stupid... or it's bug season.

Also, the north shore of Mass has a large amount of bouldering scattered all over the place (more glacial erratics) that is very good quality if you can find someone to show you where it is.

sp00ki

Jul 30, 2010, 5:38 PM
Post #8 of 21 (10808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 for Haycock (make sure you get a guide, finding the good areas can be quite a challenge; there's a PDF floating around, message me if you need info).

Also-- if you happen to be close, Rumney has surprisingly good bouldering. Check out the Black Jack Boulder area and the Pound.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 30, 2010, 5:39 PM)

jakedatc

Aug 5, 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #9 of 21 (10709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Best Bouldering in the NE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
+1 for Haycock (make sure you get a guide, finding the good areas can be quite a challenge; there's a PDF floating around, message me if you need info).

Also-- if you happen to be close, Rumney has surprisingly good bouldering. Check out the Black Jack Boulder area and the Pound.

why would you do that.. bring a harness and find someone to belay if you hit up rumney.

Pway is much better than Rumney, lincoln woods, and the Glocester/north shore (MA) stuff.

tks

Aug 6, 2010, 5:46 PM
Post #10 of 21 (10661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Best Bouldering in the NE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Jake,

Is there anything on the south shore other than the few problems at QQ? I'm looking to avoid a long drive to the gym if I can.

Tom

jakedatc

Aug 6, 2010, 6:13 PM
Post #11 of 21 (10653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tks] Best Bouldering in the NE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tks wrote:
Hey Jake,

Is there anything on the south shore other than the few problems at QQ? I'm looking to avoid a long drive to the gym if I can.

Tom

where are you staying? post up on Newenglandbouldering they will have more info.

RyanJames1984

Aug 6, 2010, 6:14 PM
Post #12 of 21 (10650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For sure check out Coopers in West Virginia. Lots of good bouldering and I'm pretty sure your can find some free places to cowboy camp in the area.

c4c

Aug 7, 2010, 1:38 PM
Post #13 of 21 (10594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the adirondacks would be worth a week (or two) of your time. 9 corners and /or Crane mt boulderwoods both have a ton of quality bouldering with free camping right next to the boulders.

granite_grrl

Aug 7, 2010, 4:17 PM
Post #14 of 21 (10580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not much of a boulder, but I did start climbing NS and doing a bit of bouldering is a prerequisite.

I would say the Best time in NS is through the summer (seaside bouldering) through mid to late October.....though I think if you're motivated you can boulder through the entire year (fairly moderate climate).

Also, it beautiful out there, and the climbing community is pretty awesome.

Check out http://www.climbeasterncanada.com, pretty much where the people from NS and NB go (with a small smattering of NFLD and PEI). There's a post in general forum there about an area that some of the NB climbers have hit up recently in Maine that looks interesting.

yankeeclimber

Aug 8, 2010, 5:05 PM
Post #15 of 21 (10525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your passing by haycock I would stop for a day or two. HC is my hometown crag so if you need a guide I can send a copy your way. I live in NH now but started climbing and have climbed there for 5 years.

subantz

Aug 8, 2010, 5:07 PM
Post #16 of 21 (10521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Havent you heard climbing is about to be banned!

PosiDave

Dec 17, 2010, 8:27 PM
Post #17 of 21 (9959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haycock. Is alrite. but I wouldn't plan a trip around it.

Check out the Gunks or Lincoln Woods.

DrNubbins

Dec 17, 2010, 9:42 PM
Post #18 of 21 (9940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's good bouldering up in Farley, MA if that's in your path. Good luck finding a guidebook for that, but locals are friendly and will show you around if you ask nice.

KirbyC

Feb 17, 2011, 2:11 PM
Post #19 of 21 (9610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yankeeclimber] Best Bouldering in the NE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you shoot me a copy of the guide you speak of?

EDited: I'll pm you my email..

(This post was edited by KirbyC on Feb 17, 2011, 2:12 PM)

Partner cracklover

Feb 17, 2011, 5:17 PM
Post #20 of 21 (9553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Best Bouldering in the NE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
sp00ki wrote:

why would you do that.. bring a harness and find someone to belay if you hit up rumney.

Pway is much better than Rumney, lincoln woods, and the Glocester/north shore (MA) stuff.

Listen to this guy ^^^ He knows his Southern NE bouldering. Actually, if you can convince him to spend a week with you, you won't be sorry. Just don't expect an attentive spot. Tongue

The bouldering in Acadia is also very good, but does anyone know a guidebook? In my experience, the best way to go is to head to one of a few fantastic spots with a big crew and start making up problems. I've done some of my favorite bouldering anywhere like that. But on the other hand, I've probably missed out on some classics by not knowing they existed.

Here are a couple cool problems in Acadia:

(clicky)

(also clicky)

GO

jakedatc

Feb 17, 2011, 9:17 PM
Post #21 of 21 (9504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Best Bouldering in the NE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
sp00ki wrote:

Listen to this guy ^^^ He knows his Southern NE bouldering. Actually, if you can convince him to spend a week with you, you won't be sorry. Just don't expect an attentive spot. Tongue

The bouldering in Acadia is also very good, but does anyone know a guidebook? In my experience, the best way to go is to head to one of a few fantastic spots with a big crew and start making up problems. I've done some of my favorite bouldering anywhere like that. But on the other hand, I've probably missed out on some classics by not knowing they existed.

Here are a couple cool problems in Acadia:

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/0/26240-work-74052.jpg[/image]
(clicky)

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/0/26280-work-74054.jpg[/image]
(also clicky)

GO

ohhh you didn't bleed that much. think of it as a life lesson to not fall on the juggiest v1 part of a v4 Laugh

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook