RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

tvandy

Aug 1, 2010, 3:55 AM
Post #1 of 10 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Looking for moutaineering school
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any advice on mountaineering schools? Looking for a several day beginner's course that ends in a summit attempt. Been looking at Alpine Accents and Int. Mountain Guides for Rainier, but only because they're the first to pop up from an internet search.

Any reviews of these two companies? Any others? Rainier a good place to start?

I just got back from backpacking in Glacier NP and feeling the itch to learn about summit climbing. I live where there is no snow at all, so I'm starting fresh and clueless.

climbingaggie03

Aug 1, 2010, 5:38 AM
Post #2 of 10 (4644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tvandy] Looking for moutaineering school [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RMI is a first class outfit and AAI is no joke either, although Rainier is a pretty big mountain for your first rodeo. I'd start with a couple of mountain hikes that don't have glaciers or technical climbing, do some more technical peaks, and then hit some glaciated peaks, starting with something a bit lower than rainier, like hood.

I guess it depends on what your goals are and what your budget is. If you want to get to some summits and learn some good skills along the way, then go with RMI or AAI. If you want to learn what you need to know so you can go climbing on your own, read a few books and take a few intro to mountaineering courses.

You might also look into the colorado mountain school, or exum guides might have some good courses too. Outward bound or NOLS might have a short climbing course for you, and I'm sure there are some good climbing schools on the east coast too, I'm just not familiar enough with the region to know of any.

majid_sabet

Aug 1, 2010, 6:53 AM
Post #3 of 10 (4638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Top mountaineering school in the world is in India (for its price) and then in New Zealand followed by other schools in Austria, Germany, and France.

US and Canadian schools are at the bottom of the list.

apoorva

Aug 16, 2010, 6:11 PM
Post #4 of 10 (4517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Looking for moutaineering school [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did the one in India. Was super cheap and super quirky (they're run by the army and big on discipline), but you do get to spend a month (per course) in the Himalayas for almost no money at all.

summerprophet

Aug 16, 2010, 6:32 PM
Post #5 of 10 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Looking for moutaineering school [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Top mountaineering school in the world is in India (for its price) and then in New Zealand followed by other schools in Austria, Germany, and France.

Wow, that is 100% opinion if I have ever heard it.

How is India, New Zealand, Austria, Germany and France, beter than Switzerland, when they are responsible for establishing the majority of guide standards utilized today. Also, they are the most difficult organization to get into, and the most documented.

Before you get into thinking I am defending my homeland, I am a working guide, born, raised and trained in Canada, and working in the states.

I will give you that India possibly has the best and most experienced Military Alpine teams, and by and far the best Alpine pilots, but a blanket statement that they are the best out there of all the mountain schools is pretty ridiculous. Do you have sources?

To the original poster:
Sadly the States has still not implimented any sort of required standard for guiding. The two companies you mention both have reasonably good reputations.

In my opinion, ignore summiting for your training. Especially for brief courses (4 days or less). If it happens, great, but having a guide focused on weather openings to summit with, detracts from your learning, and rushes you through the basics, rather than fully exposing you to them.

majid_sabet

Aug 16, 2010, 6:52 PM
Post #6 of 10 (4491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Looking for moutaineering school [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Wow, that is 100% opinion if I have ever heard it.

How is India, New Zealand, Austria, Germany and France, beter than Switzerland, when they are responsible for establishing the majority of guide standards utilized today. Also, they are the most difficult organization to get into, and the most documented.

Before you get into thinking I am defending my homeland, I am a working guide, born, raised and trained in Canada, and working in the states.

I will give you that India possibly has the best and most experienced Military Alpine teams, and by and far the best Alpine pilots, but a blanket statement that they are the best out there of all the mountain schools is pretty ridiculous. Do you have sources?

To the original poster:
Sadly the States has still not implimented any sort of required standard for guiding. The two companies you mention both have reasonably good reputations.

In my opinion, ignore summiting for your training. Especially for brief courses (4 days or less). If it happens, great, but having a guide focused on weather openings to summit with, detracts from your learning, and rushes you through the basics, rather than fully exposing you to them.

If you are asking me who is offering the best burger for a $1.00 in the world then I will tell you where to go and that's what I said in my original statement.

majid_sabet

Aug 16, 2010, 6:53 PM
Post #7 of 10 (4489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apoorva] Looking for moutaineering school [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

apoorva wrote:
I did the one in India. Was super cheap and super quirky (they're run by the army and big on discipline), but you do get to spend a month (per course) in the Himalayas for almost no money at all.

you got the info about this school in India ?

contact info, email, phone, address etc ?

Bernsteinj

Sep 16, 2010, 5:53 PM
Post #8 of 10 (4279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try the School for International Expedition Training. They are a new school with AMGA guides for instructors, and they emphasize the planning of logistics as well as technical rescue and climbing skills, setting you up to lead your own expeditions around the world in the future. I just did a course with them this past may, and I highly recommend it. Also, you will be eligible for 3 college transfer credits from Green Mountain College in Vt. The website is www.expeditiontraining.org

elyseguarino

Feb 9, 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bernsteinj] Looking for moutaineering school [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah I've heard of them! Heard they have great instructors and have had excellent outcomes( students leading their friends up technical Andean summits shortly after taking the course). Wink they post tech tips online every month and have a super groovey website.
expeditiontraining.org

cush

Feb 13, 2011, 9:15 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bernsteinj] Looking for moutaineering school [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

these credits go to green mountain college in vermont. is the school itself in vermont or somewhere else?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook