Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Boxcar's New Routes, Adopt-A-Crag 2 Perhaps???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chalker7

Aug 5, 2010, 2:29 AM
Post #26 of 32 (1309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alanjoseph] Boxcar's New Routes, Adopt-A-Crag 2 Perhaps??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's going to be the 11-12th weekend in September. I'm going to say 8am at the gate should work. I don't know how this works for anyone else, but that's what I'll shoot for, if anyone prefers to come later, just hike to the rocks if no one is at the gate.

joeforte

Aug 7, 2010, 2:10 AM
Post #27 of 32 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] Boxcar's New Routes, Adopt-A-Crag 2 Perhaps??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds good to me.

dharmatreez

Aug 8, 2010, 1:54 AM
Post #28 of 32 (1287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Boxcar's New Routes, Adopt-A-Crag 2 Perhaps??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Works for me as well. I'll have my better half with me and possibly one or two trail bums.

Hard hats and trail tools are on me.

Long happy trails and safe climbing,

Jae

chalker7

Aug 9, 2010, 3:42 AM
Post #29 of 32 (1276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dharmatreez] Boxcar's New Routes, Adopt-A-Crag 2 Perhaps??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So has anyone managed to secure us a kind PGC Officer to open that gate up?

joeforte

Sep 8, 2010, 2:29 AM
Post #30 of 32 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] Boxcar's New Routes, Adopt-A-Crag 2 Perhaps??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so this weekend is the Adopt-A-Crag. I called the game commission several times, and nobody will get back to me. This last call I told them that we are going to hold the event this weekend, and they should contact me before then if they can get us a key to the gate. If they cannot get us a key, we will just have to make the bags small and carry them out at the end of the day.

Please bring trash bags, cardboard boxes, tools and gloves! We are doing this on our own this year, so we need to make sure we have enough supplies.

I plan on getting to the parking lot at 9 am on Saturday. We might put up a few ropes first thing in the morning, and people can use them throughout the day as they wish. I plan on working through the heat of the day, and then climbing some more in the evening. Sunday is a chance of rain, so I think Saturday is the day to come if you can only chose one.

Some objectives:

#1. Clean up the glass and cans. This year we should try to separate and recycle if possible. Cardboard boxes work much better for glass.

#2. Cut back the vegetation on the undercliff trail. It is most likely choked off just past Marge's curves, as it is every summer. Is anyone immune to Poison Ivy? Wink

#3. Rebuild the stairs, and/or put in a few rocks to make the short downclimb to the crag easier. There are great big flat stones here that are just amazing to work with. A few prybars can help.

#4. Evaluate the fixed anchors and replace anything stolen, damaged, or rusted. I will bring the hardware for this.

#5. Meet other climbers and get to know the crag. This place is a true gem. I hope to show people the great routes this place has to offer, as well as meet some new climbers. Bring your friends, even if they are non-climbers. It is a great place to hike and there will be more than one "beginner" climb to get them hooked!

I'm looking forward to seeing you all there!

joeforte

Sep 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #31 of 32 (1198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Still no response from the game commission. I might bring a few wheelbarrows to cart the trash bags out. If anyone else has one, bring it along. Seeya tomorrow!

joeforte

Sep 13, 2010, 3:54 PM
Post #32 of 32 (1179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We had a great day at the crag on Saturday. About 12 people showed up. We were able to take out about 3 bags of trash, aluminum cans, plastic and glass. We also rebuild the stone stairs going down to the back of the wall.

Later in the day, the game commission showed up and told us we were not supposed to bring groups onto game lands without permission. I explained that I had left several messages at the office about the cleanup, but nobody got back to me. So they gave me a few contacts for next year's cleanup:

Bruce Metz- bmetz@state.pa.us 610-926-3136 ext. 3607
Michael Doherty- 610-926-1966

I'd like to thank everyone for coming out. We had great weather and a great day of work and climbing together. We hung draws and gear on most of the classics and everyone took turns leading and toproping them. We climbed 8 routes total and a few people were actually able to tick off all 8!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook