Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
norris lake DWS?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dolphja

Aug 13, 2010, 7:34 PM
Post #1 of 3 (4347 views)
Shortcut

norris lake DWS?  (North_America: United_States: Tennessee)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone out there in the interwebs land ever DWS at norris lake, tennessee?

Tipton

Aug 17, 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #2 of 3 (4302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dolphja] norris lake DWS? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, but it's a bad idea. Three spots that I know of all in the vicinity of Mountain Lake Marina and Point Three (Airforce Cove?).

Heading Northwest from Norris Dam (towards Mountain Lake Marina and the termination of the lake) they are in this order:

1. 35ft tall, vertical cliff that is about 30 ft long. It's on the right before you arrive at the the TVA boat ramp coming from the Dam.

2. Keep traveling towards the end of the lake, just around the corner from the first cliff and almost to Mountain Lake marina is an area where people cliff jump a lot. You can climb up and out, traversing the lip of the roof. This is a do not fall situation because there are submerged rocks under the roof. If you fall instead of jumping off the top, you'll likely hit them. They are maybe 1-2 ft underwater depending on the lake level.

3. Keep traveling in the same direction towards the termination of the lake and just prior to hitting Twin Coves Marina is the largest of the cliffs. It looks 90-100 ft tall. The downside is that it's mostly slabby. So again, falling here is not a good idea at all.

I've goofed off on all 3 of these areas and wouldn't bother getting my shoes wet to do it again. They all sucked for one reason or another.

dolphja

Aug 17, 2010, 1:07 PM
Post #3 of 3 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tipton] norris lake DWS? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks tipton, i'll forward the beta to someone who was doing a bit of that there & make them aware of the potential dangers Pirate

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook