Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

redlude97

Aug 18, 2010, 5:09 PM
Post #77 of 128 (7331 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
How is posting a personal attack abusing authority? It is pretty clear from blondgecko's statement that Aric's "reprimand" was due to his asking to be relieved and for his comments about JT's stature.

Sorry. I should have said "for a blatant personal attack on another user," (to use the exact language) which is certainly not something blondgecko mentioned.

However, Aric did abuse his authority by banning me from the "Lab" forum. According to ddt above:

ddt wrote:
...as I am aware, no one else violated any rules or regulations that warranted action. Sure, there were some harsh words, but all well within what I consider to be tolerable when applying the norms for "personal attack" and "abuse" on this site. Persistence in making heated arguments is no reason for action against a user...

Curt
You got to be kidding right?
blondgecko wrote:
Aric's degreening came about because (1) he requested it, and (2) he proved unable to rise above the fray and instead of stepping back or trying to defuse the situation, participated in its escalation
As someone on the outside looking in, DDT and blondgecko's comments are in line with one another.

As far as abusing one's powers, here is what you posted that got you a timeout before any intervention by DDT, you are taking his statement way out of context.
blondgecko wrote:
A few pertinent posts of yours from that thread - before you were banned, and before Aric's PM to you:

curt wrote:
Are you fucking nuts?

curt wrote:
Why do idiots like you gravitate towards positions of authority?
Calling someone short is relatively benign compared to referring to them as an idiot IMO

jt512

Aug 18, 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #78 of 128 (7249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
curt wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
How is posting a personal attack abusing authority? It is pretty clear from blondgecko's statement that Aric's "reprimand" was due to his asking to be relieved and for his comments about JT's stature.

Sorry. I should have said "for a blatant personal attack on another user," (to use the exact language) which is certainly not something blondgecko mentioned.

However, Aric did abuse his authority by banning me from the "Lab" forum. According to ddt above:

ddt wrote:
...as I am aware, no one else violated any rules or regulations that warranted action. Sure, there were some harsh words, but all well within what I consider to be tolerable when applying the norms for "personal attack" and "abuse" on this site. Persistence in making heated arguments is no reason for action against a user...

Curt
You got to be kidding right?
blondgecko wrote:
Aric's degreening came about because (1) he requested it, and (2) he proved unable to rise above the fray and instead of stepping back or trying to defuse the situation, participated in its escalation
As someone on the outside looking in, DDT and blondgecko's comments are in line with one another.

As far as abusing one's powers, here is what you posted that got you a timeout before any intervention by DDT, you are taking his statement way out of context.
blondgecko wrote:
A few pertinent posts of yours from that thread - before you were banned, and before Aric's PM to you:

curt wrote:
Are you fucking nuts?

curt wrote:
Why do idiots like you gravitate towards positions of authority?
Calling someone short is relatively benign compared to referring to them as an idiot IMO

Of course, that's exactly what a tall idiot would think.

Jay

majid_sabet

Aug 19, 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #79 of 128 (7209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

Every three months, we have an ebola outbreak with members attacking each other and I just do not understand it why these RC Hyenas and Lyons can't just leave shi* alone

Here, this how it looks in the real world

http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoaftMFx.html

billcoe_

Aug 19, 2010, 4:21 AM
Post #80 of 128 (7146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Right on Majid! I'm only showing up to wish Aric the very best! The recent Painted Bird exercise notwithstanding and best left undiscussed, thanks for some amazing work and pull tests Aric.

Hope you start up a blog with this stuff, and that the traffic you get makes you some serious scratch.

Warm regards

Bill

majid_sabet

Aug 19, 2010, 5:18 AM
Post #81 of 128 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
Right on Majid! I'm only showing up to wish Aric the very best! The recent Painted Bird exercise notwithstanding and best left undiscussed, thanks for some amazing work and pull tests Aric.

Hope you start up a blog with this stuff, and that the traffic you get makes you some serious scratch.

Warm regards

Bill

Aric did send me a page long email explaining how circuit melted down but he is going to get his own page and post his stuff again.I support his idea and look forward to help him with whatever.I am still pissed off over ninga boys and associates going after a guy who did nothing but serving the climbing community.

Partner philbox

Aug 19, 2010, 5:27 AM
Post #82 of 128 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:

Warm regards

Bill

Aric did send me a page long email explaining how circuit melted down but he is going to get his own page and post his stuff again.I support his idea and look forward to help him with whatever.I am still pissed off over ninga boys and associates going after a guy who did nothing but serving the climbing community.

You and me both majid. A couple of your posts in this thread are the very best I have ever seen you write. Well done mate. Keep up the good work.

Bolter

Aug 19, 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #83 of 128 (7088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aric,

Thank you for the contributions that you have made, time thinking about climbing, and the physical labor preformed for the benefit of all climbers.

Please continue your work and find a better place to share it. Shouldn't be hard.

BT

Bolter

Aug 19, 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #84 of 128 (7087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bolter] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

To follow up.

RC.com is just a cesspool. To bad that such an internet address has been fouled. Daniel Du Toit will continue to drive this site into the ground.

ToS - what a joke.

"Your the biggest joke on the internet." Weird Al

dbogardus

Aug 19, 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #85 of 128 (7067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Every three months, we have an ebola outbreak with members attacking each other and I just do not understand it why these RC Hyenas and Lyons can't just leave shi* alone

Here, this how it looks in the real world

http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoaftMFx.html

Real world, meet RC.com...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7nqwGt4-I

(This post was edited by dbogardus on Aug 19, 2010, 12:30 PM)

iron106

Aug 19, 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #86 of 128 (7057 views)
Shortcut

Re:A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, you did a lot of work here. Thanks for all of the info.

Its kind of like showing up at your climb and finding a nesting peregrine sign.

Now that you are not wasting your time here, maybe you can patented a cam or two.

dbogardus

Aug 19, 2010, 1:22 PM
Post #87 of 128 (7041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Aric for all the hard work you've put into this site. I hope it all becomes accessable again.

You've directly helped me several times since joining the site and it's greatly appreciated. Home you find a good home.

jt512

Aug 19, 2010, 1:45 PM
Post #88 of 128 (7029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bolter] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (11 ratings)  
Can't Post

Bolter wrote:
To follow up.

RC.com is just a cesspool. To bad that such an internet address has been fouled. Daniel Du Toit will continue to drive this site into the ground.

Daniel may have over-commercialized the site, but he did not drive it into the ground. The users themselves are responsible for that. In another current thread, blueyedclimber complains about the signal-to-noise ratio on the site. But the fact is that the majority of the site's users don't want signal; they want noise. They live for it. It's why they come here.

If a user posts a question about whether his first pair of climbing shoes are too tight, it doesn't matter that it's the third time that the question has been asked that week. Simply ask the user to look at current threads, never mind actually do a search, and you are attacked left and right, while a plethora of users are all too willing to rehash the question yet again.

This site is all about the noise. Sure, there are steps that management could take to reduce the noise, but you really can't blame Daniel for not taking them. He's just providing a forum for what the majority of people want: blather.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 19, 2010, 1:47 PM)

patto

Aug 19, 2010, 3:18 PM
Post #89 of 128 (6976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anybody have his email address? Could you please PM it to me. Thanks.

LostinMaine

Aug 19, 2010, 8:10 PM
Post #90 of 128 (6901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
Does anybody have his email address? Could you please PM it to me. Thanks.

A bit less ambiguous... might help get what you desire.

norushnomore

Aug 20, 2010, 9:10 AM
Post #91 of 128 (6811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Main problem that Aric has had was trying to guide the discussion.

Kind of similar to the government knows best vs letting free markets decide.

Truth is Lab forum became dull, boring and saw no traffic. Even format was out of place, this is not a climberwikipedia, this is an internet forum.

Instead of being a place where you go to bash dumb ideas and poke fun at lame theories it became a collection of abatesman "truths"

All I can say, hasta la vista baby, don't let the door kick you on the way out... and good luck with the website. Should have done that to begin with

acorneau

Aug 20, 2010, 2:39 PM
Post #92 of 128 (6751 views)
Shortcut

Re: A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I go away for a week and all hell breaks loose!?!?! WTF! Shocked

I'm still trying to catch up on what really happened but...

Aric, I am thankful for your contributions to this site and for advancing the desire to know more about the true nature of the hardware, systems and mechanics of climbing that most of us take for granted.

onceahardman

Aug 23, 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #93 of 128 (6560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Bolter wrote:
To follow up.

Daniel may have over-commercialized the site, but he did not drive it into the ground. The users themselves are responsible for that. In another current thread, blueyedclimber complains about the signal-to-noise ratio on the site. But the fact is that the majority of the site's users don't want signal; they want noise. They live for it. It's why they come here.

If a user posts a question about whether his first pair of climbing shoes are too tight, it doesn't matter that it's the third time that the question has been asked that week. Simply ask the user to look at current threads, never mind actually do a search, and you are attacked left and right, while a plethora of users are all too willing to rehash the question yet again.

This site is all about the noise. Sure, there are steps that management could take to reduce the noise, but you really can't blame Daniel for not taking them. He's just providing a forum for what the majority of people want: blather.

Jay

Since you are so sure the bolded section is "fact", I'll assume a scientific thinker like yourself has some a priori evidence for such an assertion. May we see it please?

Regarding complaints about "what kind of shoes to buy", there are similar themes in the injury forum, repetitive questions about finger injuries and elbow tendinitis. I generally try to either keep quiet or be helpful. Flaming someone who is in pain (or has a very common question about shoes), is willfully choosing to do battle. You are part of the problem of increasing noise.

I'm not out to flame anybody, Jay, even you. I just want to help people, even when those I'm helping need assistance with what I perceive as someone who is a bit of an internet bully. You'd never have the courage to say the things you say to someone's face.

Anyway, thanks Aric. It's a pity you had to erase your contributions. I only wish you'd taken the higher road.

dingus

Aug 25, 2010, 1:07 PM
Post #94 of 128 (6413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (13 ratings)  
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
Flaming someone who is in pain (or has a very common question about shoes), is willfully choosing to do battle. You are part of the problem of increasing noise.

I'm not out to flame anybody, Jay, even you. I just want to help people, even when those I'm helping need assistance with what I perceive as someone who is a bit of an internet bully.

Dozens upon dozens of people over the years have told jt512 he is a huge part of the perceived noise problem.

He's too proud to listen. He never ever looks in the mirror.

But he is certainly willing to impose his will on others. Oh yes, he will certainly do that.

DMT

tomtom

Aug 26, 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #95 of 128 (6247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Aric,

Enjoyed reading your stuff. May not have been perfect, but made me think about the engineering of climbing systems and components.

Thanks.

johnwesely

Aug 26, 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #96 of 128 (6236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
Flaming someone who is in pain (or has a very common question about shoes), is willfully choosing to do battle. You are part of the problem of increasing noise.

I'm not out to flame anybody, Jay, even you. I just want to help people, even when those I'm helping need assistance with what I perceive as someone who is a bit of an internet bully.

Dozens upon dozens of people over the years have told jt512 he is a huge part of the perceived noise problem.

But he is certainly willing to impose his will on others. Oh yes, he will certainly do that.

DMT

jt512 is a huge part of the signal problem as well.

Gmburns2000

Aug 26, 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #97 of 128 (6230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

DMT

or, as he duly notes above, that he thrives on being the noise.

Partner robdotcalm

Aug 27, 2010, 2:54 AM
Post #98 of 128 (6177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

DMT

The problem is that people respond to jt512. By his 2nd post in any thread, it ought to be obvious that he should best be ignored.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

jt512

Aug 27, 2010, 2:58 AM
Post #99 of 128 (6173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
dingus wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

DMT

The problem is that people respond to jt512. By his 2nd post in any thread, it ought to be obvious that he should best be ignored.

Thanks a lot, Rob. If you really must hop on the bandwagon of haters, you might at least have the decency to be truthful.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 27, 2010, 3:01 AM)

subantz

Aug 27, 2010, 5:08 PM
Post #100 of 128 (6057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
robdotcalm wrote:
dingus wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

DMT

Thanks a lot, Rob. If you really must hop on the bandwagon of haters, you might at least have the decency to be truthful.

Jay
Shut up douch nozzle
*plonk*
Take that Jay one right back at ya

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook