Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

p8ntballsk8r

Aug 24, 2010, 4:53 PM
Post #1 of 59 (14257 views)
Shortcut

What can a belayer do?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

One of my climbing partners scared the shit out of me last week. He was between the first and 2nd bolt just out of reach of the 2nd bolt and told me he was about to fall and asked if he was hitting the deck.

He indeed was so I told him he HAD to hit that 2nd bolt. Everything turned out fine as he was able to clip the 2nd bolt and support his weight on the draw until he clipped in.

My question is this, what can I do to help if he does fall in this situation?

I got as close to the wall as possible, ready to move backwards and drop down to take as much slack out as possible. My only worry is with rope stretch he could still possible deck.

The only alternative I can think of would be to use both hands to spot the climber as you would before belay is on. This of course wouldn't be wise without a gri-gri as the rope would not do anything to slow his fall

jakedatc

Aug 24, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #2 of 59 (14234 views)
Shortcut

Re: [p8ntballsk8r] What can a belayer do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

p8ntballsk8r wrote:
One of my climbing partners scared the shit out of me last week. He was between the first and 2nd bolt just out of reach of the 2nd bolt and told me he was about to fall and asked if he was hitting the deck.

He indeed was so I told him he HAD to hit that 2nd bolt. Everything turned out fine as he was able to clip the 2nd bolt and support his weight on the draw until he clipped in.

My question is this, what can I do to help if he does fall in this situation?

I got as close to the wall as possible, ready to move backwards and drop down to take as much slack out as possible. My only worry is with rope stretch he could still possible deck.

The only alternative I can think of would be to use both hands to spot the climber as you would before belay is on. This of course wouldn't be wise without a gri-gri as the rope would not do anything to slow his fall

pull in slack and/or run backwards if you have time/space. if he warned you that he was going to fall then you have time. also if he can sit there and talk about it then he really isnt going to fall.. and should downclimb while you take in slack.

spotting is really only to redirect someone's head and body onto a pad.. you're not going to take any "weight" so spotting someone above a bolt is going to be useless and you will have 2 hurt people instead of just one.

There are also places on some routes where the climber pretty much can't fall. your partner needs to recognize these places either before getting on or while on route and know that screwing up will likely hurt.

patmay81

Aug 24, 2010, 5:28 PM
Post #3 of 59 (14221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DO NOT take him off belay, i.e. spot him. If he hits the ground because of rope stretch, the rope will slow him down significantly before he touches down. I climb at Smith Rock regularly, which is notorious for questionable bolt spacing. Feet routinely slap the ground on low crux moves.
Some things that can help; keep the belay short (no extra slack), if the climber does fall drop to the ground or take a step back, the climber should be spotting his own "landing" and should be prepared to tuck his knees if its going to be close.
other ideas are to drag a stick clip up the wall, and clip the first couple of bolts until you are beyond the decking zone. look for traditional protection options between questionable bolt distances before climbing. A lot of times you can slot a nut, cam or even knotted cord in a pocket, crack, horn etc between bolts

patmay81

Aug 24, 2010, 5:30 PM
Post #4 of 59 (14219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] What can a belayer do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
There are also places on some routes where the climber pretty much can't fall. your partner needs to recognize these places either before getting on or while on route and know that screwing up will likely hurt.
for sure, this is good advice. definitely analyze the route before starting up.

dugl33

Aug 24, 2010, 5:55 PM
Post #5 of 59 (14189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Keep minimal slack, stand close to the wall and slightly to one side. If the leader actually falls take in an arm-load of slack and sit down into it.

Despite popular mythology running backwards usually doesn't help much unless the first clip or pro was quite low (and multi-directional) -- the "X" component of running backwards just doesn't translate enough to pulling in rope (the hypotenuse).

Forget spotting once the first bolt is clipped. Once its clipped your job is to belay. Period. If another buddy is around they can spot.

Of course you can always provide verbal encouragement to the leader -- "breathe, focus, stay strong... good feet, you got it". Something like that. On the other hand, a question from the leader deserves an honest assessment, especially if they are still in a position to back down or reverse moves. And grabbing a draw beats broken ankles any day in my book, so what if you lose a few style points.

gen8787

Aug 24, 2010, 6:08 PM
Post #6 of 59 (14168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

What about if you know you will be climbing something like this and you use static rope and make sure to keep slack in like others said?

jakedatc

Aug 24, 2010, 6:12 PM
Post #7 of 59 (14162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gen8787] What can a belayer do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

gen8787 wrote:
What about if you know you will be climbing something like this and you use static rope and make sure to keep slack in like others said?

hopefully your second post will include something less painful and dangerous. taking a lead fall on a static rope would probably cause as much damage as hitting the ground, except there will probably be internal bleeding

blueeyedclimber

Aug 24, 2010, 6:27 PM
Post #8 of 59 (14137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gen8787 wrote:

It took you 2 months to generate your first post and this is what you come up with. In case Jake wasn't clear, DO NOT lead on a static rope!

Josh

gen8787

Aug 24, 2010, 6:29 PM
Post #9 of 59 (14131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] What can a belayer do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Totally thought we were talking about TR. Indeed, belay my last.

gblauer

Aug 24, 2010, 6:36 PM
Post #10 of 59 (14118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forget spotting?

This year I had the privilege of lead belaying a junior USAC regional sport climbing competition. I was belaying 13-15 year old girls on a 12+ where most of the girls fell off between the 2nd and 3rd bolts. Although somewhat nerve-racking, it was easy to keep them all off the ground. I did, however, drop my gri gri twice when two girls fell between the 1st and 2nd bolts. In both cases I was able to spot them and "guide" them safely to the mats. If I had tried to belay, they would have hit the ground hard.

There are exceptions to every rule. As a belayer, you need to understand the consequences of a fall and make your decisions appropriately.

jt512

Aug 24, 2010, 6:39 PM
Post #11 of 59 (14114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

When he peels, simultaneously pull out an armful of slack, take one step away from the wall (that's all you'll have time for) and dive to the ground with the rope locked off.

Jay

blueeyedclimber

Aug 24, 2010, 6:46 PM
Post #12 of 59 (14100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gen8787 wrote:

There are only 2 explanations for why you thought this was regarding TR.

1) You did not read the original post.
2) You are a brand new climber, only have experience toproping and are not even sure what lead climbing is.

In either case, you are new to rc.com. So, here is my advice. Spend more time lurking, because if you make a habit of responding without actually knowing what you are talking about, then you will be eaten by the wolves. And then again, by the vultures.

No hard feelings and good luck.Wink

Josh

jt512

Aug 24, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #13 of 59 (14094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] What can a belayer do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Forget spotting?

Well, in over 20 years of climbing I have never taken someone off belay in order to spot them, I have caught many falls between the first and second bolts, and I have never dropped anyone.

In reply to:
This year I had the privilege of lead belaying a junior USAC regional sport climbing competition. I was belaying 13-15 year old girls on a 12+ where most of the girls fell off between the 2nd and 3rd bolts. Although somewhat nerve-racking, it was easy to keep them all off the ground. I did, however, drop my gri gri twice when two girls fell between the 1st and 2nd bolts. In both cases I was able to spot them and "guide" them safely to the mats. If I had tried to belay, they would have hit the ground hard.

First of all, that was presumably in the gym, where a fall from the second bolt is probably less than a fall from the top of the bouldering cave. Outdoors, on the other hand, there normally isn't a mat, the ground is often uneven, and the second bolt will usually be too high to safely jump down from.

Jay

jt512

Aug 24, 2010, 6:50 PM
Post #14 of 59 (14093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] What can a belayer do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
gen8787 wrote:

2) You are a brand new climber, only have experience toproping and are not even sure what lead climbing is.

In either case, you are new to rc.com. So, here is my advice. Spend more time lurking, because if you make a habit of responding without actually knowing what you are talking about, then you will be...

...like everyone else here.

Jay

blueeyedclimber

Aug 24, 2010, 6:59 PM
Post #15 of 59 (14080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] What can a belayer do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
gen8787 wrote:

In either case, you are new to rc.com. So, here is my advice. Spend more time lurking, because if you make a habit of responding without actually knowing what you are talking about, then you will be...

...like everyone else here.

Jay

Present company excluded, of course Tongue

kriso9tails

Aug 24, 2010, 7:17 PM
Post #16 of 59 (14052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The question has been answered, but I suppose I have one in turn: how is it that you never anticipated this scenario before? Or perhaps were never taught about it before? I am really only asking for one reason: I'm hoping that there aren't other issues that have been overlooked in your development as a belayer. This isn't a slight against you or anything, just something you should really be asking yourself.

I consider this particular issue to be pretty fundamental in learning to belay.

jakedatc

Aug 24, 2010, 7:18 PM
Post #17 of 59 (14052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Forget spotting?

There are exceptions to every rule. As a belayer, you need to understand the consequences of a fall and make your decisions appropriately.

To add to what jay said .. this was 13-15 yr old girls.. very small compared to most folks that i'm guessing most of us climb with. Hell, ive climbed with folks who outweigh me BY a 13 yr old girl's weight.

also there is no mat or pads outdoors gail you know this. Trying to guide someone to the ground outdoors is going to get both parties hurt.

taking in slack is much faster and more effective than trying to spot someone outdoors.

gblauer

Aug 24, 2010, 7:45 PM
Post #18 of 59 (14024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:

To add to what jay said .. this was 13-15 yr old girls.. very small compared to most folks that i'm guessing most of us climb with. Hell, ive climbed with folks who outweigh me BY a 13 yr old girl's weight.

also there is no mat or pads outdoors gail you know this. Trying to guide someone to the ground outdoors is going to get both parties hurt.

taking in slack is much faster and more effective than trying to spot someone outdoors.

Yes this was indoors where the climbs are short and the first two bolts are close to the ground. I weigh about the same as the girls I was belaying. I felt much more comfortable spotting rather than belaying when the two girls fell while clipping bolt 2.

Outdoors, I would:
1) Keep the climber on a tight belay
2) And ask another climber to spot
3) Ask someone else to belay if I didn't think I could keep my climber safe.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Aug 24, 2010, 8:07 PM)

kriso9tails

Aug 24, 2010, 8:01 PM
Post #19 of 59 (14000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Outdoors, I would:
2) Ask another climber to spot

I'm not sure that I get the second two points in the context of this thread. For the second point, I couldn't spot someone who was also on belay like that. Too much risk of injury for everyone involved.

For the third point, if a climber falls while clipping the second or even third bolt, decking potential is quite common. If a belayer didn't think they could keep their climber safe from such a fall, they would have to have to forgo belaying on a great many climbs. Too many to be practical.

jakedatc

Aug 24, 2010, 8:04 PM
Post #20 of 59 (13995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

Yes this was indoors where the climbs are short and the first two bolts are close to the ground. I weigh about the same as the girls I was belaying. I felt much more comfortable spotting rather than belaying when the two girls fell while clipping bolt 2.

Outdoors, I would:
2) Ask another climber to spot

Ok, when i think sport climbing.. i think outdoors. or else it would be gym climbing. hence.. forget spotting outdoors after the first bolt is clipped.

patmay81

Aug 24, 2010, 8:43 PM
Post #21 of 59 (13955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] What can a belayer do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dugl33 wrote:
Keep minimal slack, stand close to the wall and slightly to one side. If the leader actually falls take in an arm-load of slack and sit down into it.

Despite popular mythology running backwards usually doesn't help much unless the first clip or pro was quite low (and multi-directional) -- the "X" component of running backwards just doesn't translate enough to pulling in rope (the hypotenuse).

Forget spotting once the first bolt is clipped. Once its clipped your job is to belay. Period. If another buddy is around they can spot.

Of course you can always provide verbal encouragement to the leader -- "breathe, focus, stay strong... good feet, you got it". Something like that. On the other hand, a question from the leader deserves an honest assessment, especially if they are still in a position to back down or reverse moves. And grabbing a draw beats broken ankles any day in my book, so what if you lose a few style points.
All good advice, but I would disagree in one regard to the usefullness of "backing up". You are correct, that in most cases running backward does little or nothing, since there is rarely enough time to "run" anywhere (especially from the first or second bolt).
However, taking a step back and dropping to the ground on a low fall takes a lot more rope than just dropping to you knees. It should be the difference in taking 2 or 3 feet of slack vs taking maybe 8 to 12 inches.
I'm not really disagreeing with you, just elaborating on this point.

p8ntballsk8r

Aug 24, 2010, 9:32 PM
Post #22 of 59 (13901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] What can a belayer do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the responses, pretty much what I figured. Pull in as much slack, lock off the belay and drop to the ground to take out as much slack as possible.

As a leader, when decking is likely what is the best way to fall and minimize the damage done to your body? I'd guess land feet first, preferably not on a rock, take as much impact as possible by bending your legs then roll to your side spreading the impact to your hip then shoulder much like a Parachute Landing Failure.

dugl33

Aug 24, 2010, 9:41 PM
Post #23 of 59 (13891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] What can a belayer do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
dugl33 wrote:

All good advice, but I would disagree in one regard to the usefullness of "backing up". You are correct, that in most cases running backward does little or nothing, since there is rarely enough time to "run" anywhere (especially from the first or second bolt).
However, taking a step back and dropping to the ground on a low fall takes a lot more rope than just dropping to you knees. It should be the difference in taking 2 or 3 feet of slack vs taking maybe 8 to 12 inches.
I'm not really disagreeing with you, just elaborating on this point.

Problem is most people overestimate the benefit, picturing a more or less 1 to 1 gain -- "if I run back 3 feet I can take out 3 feet of slack". Unfortunately this is just not the case. Consider for example a first bolt 15' up, and my belay device (at waist height) is 3' up. Now if I manage to move back even 5', I've only taken out 1' of slack.

Its a reality that gets worse the higher the first bolt is.

So, in my opinion its usually better to simply pull in as much slack as possible and hit the deck. If you want to make a run for it just realize what you're realistically going to get out of it, and to really maximize your results you need the rope running through bomber pro (that can take an outward pull) down low.

jt512

Aug 24, 2010, 9:50 PM
Post #24 of 59 (13875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

p8ntballsk8r wrote:
As a leader, when decking is likely what is the best way to fall and minimize the damage done to your body? I'd guess land feet first, preferably not on a rock, take as much impact as possible by bending your legs then roll to your side spreading the impact to your hip then shoulder much like a Parachute Landing Failure.

Yeah, and tuck your head.

Problem is though, you often won't be able to land on your feet. There are no-fall zones, even in sport climbing. You need to assess the risks before you leave the ground, and continually while on the route. It's not worth getting paralyzed over a sport climb.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 24, 2010, 9:50 PM)

gblauer

Aug 24, 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #25 of 59 (13861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] What can a belayer do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

It's not worth getting paralyzed over a sport climb.

Jay

Or any climb...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook