Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Do people patent things assembled from climbing gear?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

breathmint

Aug 26, 2010, 9:20 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Do people patent things assembled from climbing gear?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My brother seems to think you can get a "new use" patent on any novel configuration of hardware and stuff which was manufactured by someone else.

I'm skeptical, does that actually happen (or do people have to manufacture all of the stuff which comprises their nifty use of it)?

johnwesely

Aug 26, 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [breathmint] Do people patent things assembled from climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No.

djlachelt

Aug 26, 2010, 11:26 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [breathmint] Do people patent things assembled from climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

breathmint wrote:
My brother seems to think you can get a "new use" patent on any novel configuration of hardware and stuff which was manufactured by someone else.

I'm skeptical, does that actually happen (or do people have to manufacture all of the stuff which comprises their nifty use of it)?

I'm not a patent lawyer, but have been through the patent process for products before.

I think you could, conceivably, get such a patent. Most patented things are built-up from previously existing things, some of which may already be patented themselves.

But I think you'd have quite a hurdle to get over in this case... is it something that someone "skilled in the art" would not be able to figure out if they were presented with a situation in which the assembly would be useful?

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ary_skill_in_the_art

And then, why would he want to patent it? Is it something you really think you could make money selling? Is it something that someone else could make money selling... and you want to make sure they don't do so without paying you for the right to sell it?

sspssp

Aug 26, 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Do people patent things assembled from climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
No.

That would have been correct 30 years ago. But today, if you have a good enough team of lawyers, you can get a patent on just about anything. Say the idea of using a mouse click to buy something...

johnwesely

Aug 26, 2010, 11:36 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] Do people patent things assembled from climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
No.

That would have been correct 30 years ago. But today, if you have a good enough team of lawyers, you can get a patent on just about anything. Say the idea of using a mouse click to buy something...

Give me an example of someone patenting a specific use of climbing gear.

breathmint

Aug 26, 2010, 11:57 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djlachelt] Do people patent things assembled from climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

djlachelt wrote:
But I think you'd have quite a hurdle to get over in this case... is it something that someone "skilled in the art" would not be able to figure out if they were presented with a situation in which the assembly would be useful?
Well, say it was for a non climbing application, like waterskiing for example, and your assembly allowed people to be more maneuverable or whatever, but you incorporated parts from different fields like climbing and nautical equipment, etc.

I guess it might be a question of whether various kinds of equipment can be considered "parts", as would nuts and bolts. For instance carabiners are on all kinds of products these days.

iamthewallress

Aug 27, 2010, 12:15 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it was novel, non-trivial, and non-obvious, you could patent it, but you'd need a liscence to sell the already patented components.

If the existing patents were written very broadly, the can include uses that weren't very clearly conceived or reduced to practice.

edm

Aug 27, 2010, 1:10 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] Do people patent things assembled from climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
If it was novel, non-trivial, and non-obvious, you could patent it, but you'd need a liscence to sell the already patented components.

If the existing patents were written very broadly, the can include uses that weren't very clearly conceived or reduced to practice.

This is basically correct. To be patentable, an invention must be novel, useful, and non-obvious. Many (if not most) patents are improvements on existing inventions. But just because you get a patent does not necessarily give you the right to make, use, or sell your invention if it relies on someone else's patented technology. A patent only gives you the right to prevent others from making, using, or selling your invention.

fenderfour

Aug 27, 2010, 6:26 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Do people patent things assembled from climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely

Aug 27, 2010, 6:44 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fenderfour] Do people patent things assembled from climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fenderfour wrote:

Is the wall hauler patented?

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook