Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after?
No change should be made.  Users should be able to edit their posts for as long as they are members. 67 / 43%
Posts should never be editable.  Once they are made, they are permanent. 7 / 5%
Posts should only be editable for up to 1 year after they are made. 3 / 2%
Posts should only be editable for up to 1 month after they are made.  7 / 5%
Posts should only be editable for up to 2 weeks after they are made. 7 / 5%
Posts should only be editable for up to 1 week after they are made. 25 / 16%
Posts should only be editable for up to 3 days after they are made. 39 / 25%
155 total votes

Arrogant_Bastard

Aug 24, 2010, 3:22 PM
Post #151 of 181 (5927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I'd be scared of missing this PTFTW though.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 24, 2010, 3:37 PM
Post #152 of 181 (5921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Careful, that PTFTW won't leam anything if a mod edits that post.

Gmburns2000

Aug 24, 2010, 3:46 PM
Post #153 of 181 (5919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
philbox wrote:
I hereby nominate gmburns to become a mod. He is without a doubt the greatest poster on this site!

Quoted for posterity (posterior portion)?

MISQUOTING! BANZ HIM! BANZ HIM NOW!

you're just chicken shit. if I became a mod you'd be saying an awful lot of good things about me without even knowing it...and you know it.

We've had douchebags as mods before, we'll have douchebags as mods again. Ain't nothin new, ain't nothing to be scared of.

go back and read my post again verrrrrrrry carefully. Angelic

edit - I replied to you with a response meant for Malcolm and vice versa. Blush

(This post was edited by Gmburns2000 on Aug 24, 2010, 3:47 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 24, 2010, 8:28 PM
Post #154 of 181 (5885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
philbox wrote:
I hereby nominate gmburns to become a mod. He is without a doubt the greatest poster on this site!

Mine is the real post, he edited it after I hit quote. Really. Don't ban me, I ran outta gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from outta town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locust's. It wasn't my fault!! I swear to God!!

I see what you did there. Well played sir.

Thank you.

Did you catch the other one as well?

Partner philbox

Aug 25, 2010, 5:59 AM
Post #155 of 181 (5854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
philbox wrote:

Mine is the real post, he edited it after I hit quote. Really. Don't ban me, I ran outta gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from outta town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locust's. It wasn't my fault!! I swear to God!!

Thank you.

Ooooh, no I didn't. [/sound of the bleeding obvious fleeing in opposite direction]

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #156 of 181 (5835 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
philbox wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
philbox wrote:

Thank you.

Ooooh, no I didn't. [/sound of the bleeding obvious fleeing in opposite direction]

Post #111. I (re-)called it before I did it.

dingus

Aug 25, 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #157 of 181 (5832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Its funny toast, I haven't heard ONE good reason why this group of site users is entitled to take my posts.

Not one.

I HAVE heard reasons, petulant, asshole reasons.

"How DARE you delete YOUR post! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT!"

Wah.

Get over yourselves. Its not your material, it will NEVER be your material. Never.

DMT

Arrogant_Bastard

Aug 25, 2010, 2:33 PM
Post #158 of 181 (5813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt

Aug 25, 2010, 3:41 PM
Post #159 of 181 (5797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Its funny toast, I haven't heard ONE good reason why this group of site users is entitled to take my posts.

Not one.

I HAVE heard reasons, petulant, asshole reasons...

That's the thing about hearing. It's just so terribly difficult, if you're not willing to listen.

Curt

dr_feelgood

Aug 25, 2010, 7:06 PM
Post #160 of 181 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NoSoup4U] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NoSoup4U wrote:
Absolutely no editing. Posts quality will increase. A side benefit will be the end of the stupid quoting and re-quoting of the original posts or thread answers.

Users need to think twice before hitting the reply or post button.

Delete the campground, soap box etc. Moderate agressively to delete any non-climbing posts.
troll.

dr_feelgood

Aug 25, 2010, 7:24 PM
Post #161 of 181 (5782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
I guess I don't understand this crazy hard on to demand things be available online in perpetuity.

It's a forum post. Made by someone you don't know.

Where is the value in this? The value comes from knowing the user. Here, it's by online reputation. Aric developed a reputation after a while as a guy who knew something about engineering and gear testing. The only reason his posts have any value is because you have seen his whole body of work.

By preserving his entire body of work, you are forcing him against his will to remain on here. That's lame. Any one of his posts on its own has no value. They only have value when taken as a whole.

I don't understand your argument. If the bolded premises are true, they would seem to support the need for long-term on-line availability of posts. But, that said, I don't accept the premise that you need to view a large number of a user's posts in order to make an accurate judgment about the user's knowledgeability. Proof by counterexample: Read any single post by rgold and any single post by subantz.

Jay

Your vast library of posts has proved that you are a douche; this can also be determined through just one or two posts.

I guess your argument stands.

edge

Aug 25, 2010, 7:45 PM
Post #162 of 181 (5773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

How about if we made posts edible. I'm starving.

jt512

Aug 25, 2010, 7:55 PM
Post #163 of 181 (5767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
I guess I don't understand this crazy hard on to demand things be available online in perpetuity.

Where is the value in this? The value comes from knowing the user. Here, it's by online reputation. Aric developed a reputation after a while as a guy who knew something about engineering and gear testing. The only reason his posts have any value is because you have seen his whole body of work.

By preserving his entire body of work, you are forcing him against his will to remain on here. That's lame. Any one of his posts on its own has no value. They only have value when taken as a whole.

I don't understand your argument. If the bolded premises are true, they would seem to support the need for long-term on-line availability of posts. But, that said, I don't accept the premise that you need to view a large number of a user's posts in order to make an accurate judgment about the user's knowledgeability. Proof by counterexample: Read any single post by rgold and any single post by subantz.

Jay

Your vast library of posts has proved that you are a douche; this can also be determined through just one or two posts.

Fuck you, too.

Jay

Arrogant_Bastard

Aug 25, 2010, 7:59 PM
Post #164 of 181 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:

Get your damn lips off my PC++, freak.

dingus

Aug 25, 2010, 8:11 PM
Post #165 of 181 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Jay

Fuck you, too.

Jay

The essential JT signal.

DMT

dingus

Aug 25, 2010, 8:14 PM
Post #166 of 181 (5750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
dingus wrote:

Not one.

That's the thing about hearing. It's just so terribly difficult, if you're not willing to listen.

Curt

I read every attempt at a convincing point, from the insincerity of [ideaLs when that a couple of selfish bastards tried to take adatesman's posts, to the subsequent hand wringing, yours included.

They all amount to 'we take what we want. That's just the way the internet it.'

Its lame. Its dish water. But I heard every word, read every attempt at an argument. Not one solid point, not one.

DMT

wonderwoman

Aug 25, 2010, 8:37 PM
Post #167 of 181 (5740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This post was edited by wonderwoman.

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Aug 25, 2010, 8:37 PM)

boymeetsrock

Aug 25, 2010, 8:55 PM
Post #168 of 181 (5728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Jay

Fuck you, too.

Jay

Way to drive home a point Jay. Classic! Laugh

jt512

Aug 25, 2010, 9:49 PM
Post #169 of 181 (5713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Jay

Fuck you, too.

Jay

The essential JT signal.

DMT

Send me a PM at some point if you regain your sanity. In the meantime...

*plonk*

Arrogant_Bastard

Aug 25, 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #170 of 181 (5705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Jay

Fuck you, too.

Jay

The essential JT signal.

DMT

*plonk*

Catch 22; if he knows he's insane, then he's not insane.

Partner philbox

Aug 25, 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #171 of 181 (5693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:

Dinner for two then?

curt

Aug 25, 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #172 of 181 (5689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
curt wrote:
dingus wrote:

Not one.

Curt

I read every attempt at a convincing point, from the insincerity of [ideaLs when that a couple of selfish bastards tried to take adatesman's posts, to the subsequent hand wringing, yours included.

They all amount to 'we take what we want. That's just the way the internet it.'

Its lame. Its dish water. But I heard every word, read every attempt at an argument. Not one solid point, not one.

DMT

Sorry Dingus, but I'm afraid you're the one here with no point at all. You can claim all you want to to the contrary (and say it as loudly as you want, and as many times as you want) but you do not have absolute control your over content here, or anywhere else, for that matter. I know this continues to upset you terribly--and I fully realize that you wish the world worked differently, but I'm afraid it is what it is.

Curt

(This post was edited by curt on Aug 26, 2010, 2:21 AM)

dr_feelgood

Aug 25, 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #173 of 181 (5685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Jay

Fuck you, too.

Jay

The essential JT signal.

DMT

*plonk*

Wow. That was almost as efficient as a NKVD death squad during the purges.

Stalin was not a tall person, either.

spikeddem

Aug 26, 2010, 2:40 PM
Post #174 of 181 (5615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Jay

Fuck you, too.

Jay

The essential JT signal.

DMT

*plonk*

I think Jay might actually have a rather enjoyable RC experience once he has finally Kill Filed everyone! Laugh

People have claimed that RC's main attraction for anyone with more than a season's worth of rock climbing knowledge is "noise." Now that Angry has left and Jay is on his way to kill filing every last person (or otherwise completing his plan to phase out RC), even the banter is going to start going away! Ha, we can't even maintain that!

Partner philbox

Aug 27, 2010, 2:20 AM
Post #175 of 181 (5563 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Should posts be editable after they are made and if so, for how long after? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Jay

Fuck you, too.

Jay

The essential JT signal.

DMT

*plonk*

I think Jay might actually have a rather enjoyable RC experience once he has finally Kill Filed everyone! Laugh

People have claimed that RC's main attraction for anyone with more than a season's worth of rock climbing knowledge is "noise." Now that Angry has left and Jay is on his way to kill filing every last person (or otherwise completing his plan to phase out RC), even the banter is going to start going away! Ha, we can't even maintain that!

Oh noes, people will have to start to post worthwhile content. Shock horror, Oh the humanility. The sky is falling on our heads, run, think of the children.

Was that noise or content. Yeah, noise. I'll go now and take my meds.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook