Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Khoi

Aug 27, 2010, 7:43 AM
Post #1 of 43 (10857 views)
Shortcut

Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A guy in the gym today tied in the usual way, with a retraced figure 8 knot. The length of the tail he had left over after retracing the knot was about 5 cm, no more than 6cm. He got a comment about the tail being too short, but he responded rather authoratatively, "It's 5 times the diameter of the rope. It's enough."

I've never heard this 5 times the diameter of the rope guideline for the length of tails leftover from tying knots before. The gym uses Sterling 10.1 Slim Gyms.

I keep thinking about how a lot of climbers are particular about having tails of sufficient length for double fisherman's knots, double overhand knots, water knots, etc., especially when rappelling.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

(This post was edited by Khoi on Aug 27, 2010, 7:56 AM)

uni_jim

Aug 27, 2010, 8:33 AM
Post #2 of 43 (10843 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Khoi] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there are no hard and fast rules for this. Just leave enough that nothing is going to slip through.

When I tie in, my tail will usually be the width of my fist arround the rope.

thomasribiere

Aug 27, 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #3 of 43 (10799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uni_jim] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

max 4 inches is largely enough. I guess I was closer to 2 inches. But I know use a bowline.

johnwesely

Aug 27, 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #4 of 43 (10786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Khoi] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Your friend was fine. When I tie in with a figure eight, I usually aim to have about that much tail.

taydude

Aug 27, 2010, 1:27 PM
Post #5 of 43 (10749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I always use a yosemite backup...

johnwesely

Aug 27, 2010, 1:30 PM
Post #6 of 43 (10744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

taydude wrote:

It is not really a backup.

jmeizis

Aug 27, 2010, 1:32 PM
Post #7 of 43 (10742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

During a climbing course I took the instructor said a study had been done with figure eight knots in which the last part of the knot was undone and it was still shown to hold nearly all of it's strength without coming undone. Never have been able to find that test though... Someone should do that test.

Kartessa

Aug 27, 2010, 1:40 PM
Post #8 of 43 (10730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to keep 4 fingers between my loops and my 8, 2 fingers between my 8 and my fisherman, and 2 fingers of tail... give or take a couple mm.

Yah, I'm anal like that.

spikeddem

Aug 27, 2010, 1:45 PM
Post #9 of 43 (10724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
During a climbing course I took the instructor said a study had been done with figure eight knots in which the last part of the knot was undone and it was still shown to hold nearly all of it's strength without coming undone. Never have been able to find that test though... Someone should do that test.

There are three properties of a knot: strength, security, and releasability. You described "security" but used the word "strength." You say "last part of the [figure 8]," but it's a total guess as to what you mean. Do you mean some kind of stopper knot or finish after the final retrace? Do you mean the final part of the retrace?

Assuming you mean completing the retrace, but skipping a back-up/stopper/finish, well then consider the previous decades of climbers using the fig 8 retrace in this way as your "test."

johnwesely

Aug 27, 2010, 2:00 PM
Post #10 of 43 (10711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
jmeizis wrote:

There are three properties of a knot: strength, security, and releasability. You described "security" but used the word "strength." You say "last part of the [figure 8]," but it's a total guess as to what you mean. Do you mean some kind of stopper knot or finish after the final retrace? Do you mean the final part of the retrace?

Assuming you mean completing the retrace, but skipping a back-up/stopper/finish, well then consider the previous decades of climbers using the fig 8 retrace in this way as your "test."

He is not talking about skipping the stopper know. He is talking about skipping the last thread through on the retrace.

snoboy

Aug 27, 2010, 3:22 PM
Post #11 of 43 (10666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Which leaves you with an inline F8 - which is a legit and useful knot.

petsfed

Aug 27, 2010, 4:14 PM
Post #12 of 43 (10630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
I like to keep 4 fingers between my loops and my 8, 2 fingers between my 8 and my fisherman, and 2 fingers of tail... give or take a couple mm.

Yah, I'm anal like that.

Thus turning your "safety" knot into a finishing knot. Don't worry, you're just as safe either way.

If your finishing knot is not snug against the main knot, then it has absolutely no impact on the load at which the knot begins to creep. That is, you may as well have not tied the finishing knot. Which is why I've taught it as a finishing knot, not a "backup" or "safety" knot. This also allows for yosemite finishes without really damaging their sense of how the finishing knot affects the main knot.

Kartessa

Aug 27, 2010, 4:25 PM
Post #13 of 43 (10619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Yah, I'm anal like that.

Thus turning your "safety" knot into a finishing knot. Don't worry, you're just as safe either way.

If your finishing knot is not snug against the main knot, then it has absolutely no impact on the load at which the knot begins to creep. That is, you may as well have not tied the finishing knot. Which is why I've taught it as a finishing knot, not a "backup" or "safety" knot. This also allows for yosemite finishes without really damaging their sense of how the finishing knot affects the main knot.

Never claimed to be a safety knot. I just like the way it looks Cool

fresh

Aug 27, 2010, 4:26 PM
Post #14 of 43 (10615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Khoi wrote:
He got a comment about the tail being too short, but he responded rather authoratatively, "It's 5 times the diameter of the rope. It's enough."
love it. I'm gonna start saying that in as many situations as possible.

dlintz

Aug 27, 2010, 4:37 PM
Post #15 of 43 (10603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
taydude wrote:

Semantics. How about Yosemite finish?

d.

spikeddem

Aug 27, 2010, 4:59 PM
Post #16 of 43 (10583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
taydude wrote:

d.

Not really pointless semantics though. A backup knots exist, and finishing knots exist. They serve different purposes. When people start using the terms interchangeably, ambiguity creeps in.

jolery

Aug 27, 2010, 5:17 PM
Post #17 of 43 (10559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

someone please tell me that the additional 'safety' knot bs did not originate in Yosemite. Please.

majid_sabet

Aug 27, 2010, 5:27 PM
Post #18 of 43 (10552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Khoi wrote:
A guy in the gym today tied in the usual way, with a retraced figure 8 knot. The length of the tail he had left over after retracing the knot was about 5 cm, no more than 6cm. He got a comment about the tail being too short, but he responded rather authoratatively, "It's 5 times the diameter of the rope. It's enough."

I've never heard this 5 times the diameter of the rope guideline for the length of tails leftover from tying knots before. The gym uses Sterling 10.1 Slim Gyms.

I keep thinking about how a lot of climbers are particular about having tails of sufficient length for double fisherman's knots, double overhand knots, water knots, etc., especially when rappelling.

safety knot is not necessary on fig 8 knot and 5 cm is fine.

hbusch

Aug 27, 2010, 6:26 PM
Post #19 of 43 (10517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
as uni_jim mentioned there are no formulas out there.
But the length of the tail should be about ten times the diameter of rope where the knot is already tightened. That point is very important. A loosely tightened knot requires more rope if it comes to a fall.
So: Pull the knot after tieing it and make sure there are about 10 cm left.
So long
AgeBee

MS1

Aug 27, 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #20 of 43 (10456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Khoi wrote:

Provided you dress your knots properly, the stopper knot doesn't do anything but keep the tail from being annoying. And for that function, the yosemite finish is much better. The YF also makes the loaded figure-8 somewhat easier to untie.

Colinhoglund

Aug 27, 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #21 of 43 (10450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I have enough to do A Yosemite finish when my knot is tight I'm happy. Actually to be honest I'd rather tightly set my figure eight with a short tail, then have a long tail and a loose knot.
My point, a well seated figure eight is a good one. However I've seen loosely tied figure 8s snug up in a fall with the tail still being loose and unaffected. The knot works great, Ive never heard of a figure eight failing b/c of a short tail. Lets stop knit picking!Pirate

MS1

Aug 27, 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #22 of 43 (10447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Colinhoglund] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
If I have enough to do A Yosemite finish when my knot is tight I'm happy. Actually to be honest I'd rather tightly set my figure eight with a short tail, then have a long tail and a loose knot.
My point, a well seated figure eight is a good one. However I've seen loosely tied figure 8s snug up in a fall with the tail still being loose and unaffected. The knot works great, Ive never heard of a figure eight failing b/c of a short tail. Lets stop knit picking!Pirate

I was not knit picking; I was knot picking.

tower_climber

Aug 28, 2010, 6:11 AM
Post #23 of 43 (10384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always gone with four fingers' worth of tail (about 4 inches) on my figure8s. If you cross-tighten the knot it shouldn't slip much even under a hard fall.

To be fair I don't tie for lead climbers much, mostly top-ropers and static line rigging for ascents or rappels.

notapplicable

Aug 28, 2010, 6:59 AM
Post #24 of 43 (10375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
dlintz wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
taydude wrote:

d.

Not really pointless semantics though. A backup knots exist, and finishing knots exist. They serve different purposes. When people start using the terms interchangeably, ambiguity creeps in.

And then we all die?

bill413

Aug 28, 2010, 1:14 PM
Post #25 of 43 (10328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Minimum length for the tail on a retraced figure 8 knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
dlintz wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
taydude wrote:

d.

And then we all die?

Ambiguously.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook