Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

bearbreeder

Aug 27, 2010, 5:09 PM
Post #101 of 128 (7502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

without a dedicated person with a lot of time on their hands ... the lab will sadly die

i think it will die ... one less reason to go to RC

curt

Aug 27, 2010, 5:31 PM
Post #102 of 128 (7483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No doubt the Lab forum is a mess right now. I guess site management will have to decide what to do with it.

1) Restore it, as before.
2) Nuke it--and transfer non-Aric vandalized threads to "Gear Heads."
3) ???

Curt

russwalling

Aug 27, 2010, 6:03 PM
Post #103 of 128 (7457 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

The lab is now dead.

This Lab forum was probably the only thing worth reading on a somewhat regular basis on RC.Com. thanks for the tests Aric, regardless of the methods and standards used, it was still interesting.

billl7

Aug 27, 2010, 8:04 PM
Post #104 of 128 (7409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
1) Restore it, as before.
2) Nuke it--and transfer non-Aric vandalized threads to "Gear Heads."
3) ???

oh i don't know. having "vandalized" threads around kind of fits in with the "harassment" and "gang banging" that is now so much a part of RC.com. i'd say to just leave it as is. no sense in false advertising that might come from cleaning it up.

Bill L

Partner philbox

Aug 27, 2010, 8:54 PM
Post #105 of 128 (7373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [russwalling] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

russwalling wrote:
The lab is now dead.

This Lab forum was probably the only thing worth reading on a somewhat regular basis on RC.Com. thanks for the tests Aric, regardless of the methods and standards used, it was still interesting.

It might be dead now but eventually someone will pick up the baton and run with it. Check back once in a while, ya never know what surprising things might be in store in the future.

adatesman

Aug 31, 2010, 4:22 PM
Post #106 of 128 (7207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks all. Hearing my work was actually appreciated by some means a lot.

For those interested, it looks like my new home will be TheClimbingLab.com. It's a new site specifically dedicated to the use and testing if climbing gear and we're (I'm not the only one working on it) hoping to have it fully live by the end of the year. The reason for the delay is that we're looking to do far more than what was possible here on RC due to limitations of the forum-only interface and it's going to take a while to get it all set up and running smoothly.

Guess this is my last post on RC. Was fun while it lasted. Good luck to you all and climb safe.

-aric.

subantz

Aug 31, 2010, 4:28 PM
Post #107 of 128 (7200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:

For those interested, it looks like my new home will be TheClimbingLab.com. It's a new site specifically dedicated to the use and testing if climbing gear and we're (I'm not the only one working on it) hoping to have it fully live by the end of the year. The reason for the delay is that we're looking to do far more than what was possible here on RC due to limitations of the forum-only interface and it's going to take a while to get it all set up and running smoothly.

Guess this is my last post on RC. Was fun while it lasted. Good luck to you all and climb safe.

-aric.
No this isnt your last post cause your going to post up and let us know when the other site is up and running, RIGHT. I hope so.
and do your best and blow RC.COM out of the water.
PS can I be your site super troll.Tongue

majid_sabet

Aug 31, 2010, 5:29 PM
Post #108 of 128 (7151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subantz] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

subantz wrote:
adatesman wrote:

-aric.
No this isnt your last post cause your going to post up and let us know when the other site is up and running, RIGHT. I hope so.
and do your best and blow RC.COM out of the water.
PS can I be your site super troll.Tongue

I am the kind of troll here with master key to his lab

Partner xtrmecat

Aug 31, 2010, 5:34 PM
Post #109 of 128 (7149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trapdoor] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

trapdoor wrote:
dynosore wrote:
climboard wrote:
roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
Have to disagree. His "contributions" were minimal at best and in some cases potentially harmful. Unfortunately Aric seldom understood the limitations of his knowledge, which often resulted in ill-conceived tests and/or poor interpretations of the results. Like much of pseudoscience, it sounds reasonable to the uninformed. And he'd get overly defensive when errors were pointed out. In the long run, this forum is truly better off without Aric.

So are you volunteering to pick up the reins since you obviously can do better?

I have to agree with roy here. I think Aric was well intentioned but misguided a bit. I have 16 years in materials science, including overseeing QA labs for a Fortune 50 company, so I know a few things about testing. Aric's methodology, equipment, and interpretation of data left me cringing many times. The homemade cam competition etc. was a great idea however. He must have his reasons for deleting all his posts, but it does leave a mess.

I concur.

Plus one more. Just having tons of energy and writing about it all the time in no way makes anything you say valid. Good luck with your website, I hope it doesn't get anyone killed. Got a lawyer already?

Bob

ncrockclimber

Aug 31, 2010, 9:25 PM
Post #110 of 128 (7059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From TheClimbingLab.com wrote:
You will have one hour from the moment you hit Submit to edit a post.

So, after Aric pitched a fit about having the right to delete all his material from this site, he starts a site that does not provide that right to users. That strikes me as being rather hypocritical.

The Lab Proctor

No one knows who the Lab Proctor really is, and he prefers to keep it that way as he's not really a people person and doesn't feel qualified to participate in technical discussions about climbing gear. But he has a good bit of experience running web sites and forums and is willing to help out by performing those duties here, so we keep him around.

Yeah, right - the mysterious "Lab Proctor" is not Aric.

I never appreciated or respected the quality of Aric's work as a moderator. He was often rude and all to ready to hide behind his "title" whenever he began to lose an argument or a mud slinging match.

I was rather neutral on his work in the lab. It seemed that he had a lot of energy and a lot of time, and was more than willing to invest both in breaking stuff. He also did a good job making the climbing community aware of the quality issues with Aliens and other recalls. However, everyone needs to remember who Aric is. He is a weekend warrior with about 5 years of climbing experience, no climbing industry experience and no recent work history in engineering. Being passionate about climbing and reading a lot of books does not qualify you to design gear or talk as an authority about climbing related topics.

I hope that Aric enjoys his new site. However, I also hope that he will remember that wanting to be an expert and being an expert are 2 totally different things.

jt512

Aug 31, 2010, 9:51 PM
Post #111 of 128 (7038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ncrockclimber wrote:

So, after Aric pitched a fit about having the right to delete all his material from this site, he starts a site that does not provide that right to users. That strikes me as being rather hypocritical.

The Lab Proctor

No one knows who the Lab Proctor really is, and he prefers to keep it that way as he's not really a people person and doesn't feel qualified to participate in technical discussions about climbing gear. But he has a good bit of experience running web sites and forums and is willing to help out by performing those duties here, so we keep him around.

And furthermore:

TheClimbingLab.com wrote:
Administrative actions by the Lab Proctor may include, but are not limited to: warning, temporary ban, permanent ban, edit of the offending post, and deletion of the offending post. All decisions are final.

We know from experience that Aric habitually misinterprets criticism of his methods as an attack on him personally. So, what's going to happen, I suspect, is that Aric's forum is going to be very one sided. You have one hour after making a post to edit it, but the "Lab Proctor" has complete control over your post in perpetuity. Post something too critical of Aric's methodology, and your post will be edited or deleted without warning. Do it again, and you'll be barred, and maybe your content removed. I suspect that Aric has set up the forum in a manner that gives him totalitarian control over posts. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong, but based on observing his behavior with a modicum of authority on this site, I'm not too hopeful.

I do admire the fact that Aric states that the site will be non-profit and advertisement free. Hopefully, he'll stick to that.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 31, 2010, 11:32 PM)

spikeddem

Aug 31, 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #112 of 128 (7001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ncrockclimber wrote:

Wow. "TheClimbingLab.com" MUST be joking.

dingus

Aug 31, 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #113 of 128 (6997 views)
Shortcut

Re: A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's FUNNY.

DMT

curt

Sep 1, 2010, 3:10 AM
Post #114 of 128 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

TheClimbingLab wrote:
...The Climbing Lab has five forum rules and one guideline. The Lab Proctor, who shall remain anonymous to protect his or her impartiality, will moderate actively and without hesitation. If you break a forum rule, expect swift action from the Lab Proctor with little but a cursory explanation. He or she may warn you or show you the door straight away. The Lab Proctor is the sole judge of whether or not a rule has been broken. Administrative actions by the Lab Proctor may include, but are not limited to: warning, temporary ban, permanent ban, edit of the offending post, and deletion of the offending post. All decisions are final. Even the site owners will NEVER interfere with the Lab Proctor’s decisions...

I couldn't even make anything that good up. Unfortunately for Aric, undeserved arrogance and incompetence make bad bedfellows.

Curt

technogeekery

Sep 1, 2010, 5:44 AM
Post #115 of 128 (6889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The nice thing about having your own website is that you can do as you like. The internet is not a democracy, there is no such thing as free speech, and you can be your own dictator, benevolent or not. Everyone else can sod off.

Whether they do or not depends on how you enforce your moderation.

subantz

Sep 1, 2010, 7:00 AM
Post #116 of 128 (6881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ncrockclimber wrote:

The Lab Proctor

I never appreciated or respected the quality of Aric's work as a moderator. He was often rude and all to ready to hide behind his "title" whenever he began to lose an argument or a mud slinging match.

I was rather neutral on his work in the lab. It seemed that he had a lot of energy and a lot of time, and was more than willing to invest both in breaking stuff. He also did a good job making the climbing community aware of the quality issues with Aliens and other recalls. However, everyone needs to remember who Aric is. He is a weekend warrior with about 5 years of climbing experience, no climbing industry experience and no recent work history in engineering. Being passionate about climbing and reading a lot of books does not qualify you to design gear or talk as an authority about climbing related topics.

I hope that Aric enjoys his new site. However, I also hope that he will remember that wanting to be an expert and being an expert are 2 totally different things.
experts do not become expert by sitting around and fingering their ass
They get that way by working and research, dipshit

curt

Sep 1, 2010, 4:35 PM
Post #117 of 128 (6814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subantz] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

subantz wrote:

Experts also do not become expert by merely creating their own website proclaiming themselves to be one.

Curt

spikeddem

Sep 1, 2010, 4:50 PM
Post #118 of 128 (6799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
subantz wrote:

Experts also do not become expert by merely creating their own website proclaiming themselves to be one.

Curt

What if someone wants to become an expert at making their own website while sitting around and fingering their ass?

edge

Sep 1, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #119 of 128 (6798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
curt wrote:
subantz wrote:

Curt

What if someone wants to become an expert at making their own website while sitting around and fingering their ass?

The internet is full of sites like that.

Or so I am told...

curt

Sep 1, 2010, 4:54 PM
Post #120 of 128 (6788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
curt wrote:
subantz wrote:

Curt

Then they'll probably end up with a pretty disgusting keyboard.

Curt

spikeddem

Sep 1, 2010, 5:04 PM
Post #121 of 128 (6772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
curt wrote:
subantz wrote:

Curt

Then they'll probably end up with a pretty disgusting keyboard.

Curt

The price of being a true expert.

jjanowia

Sep 1, 2010, 7:47 PM
Post #122 of 128 (6718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] A kind farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Best of luck with the new site!

This whole rigamaroll is best summarized by the Dude:

"No, Walter, you're not wrong. You're just an a$$hole."

bill413

Sep 2, 2010, 12:59 AM
Post #123 of 128 (6661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
curt wrote:
subantz wrote:

Curt

"There's an app for that."

jt512

Sep 2, 2010, 1:07 AM
Post #124 of 128 (6650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] A kind-of farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:

Guess this is my last post on RC.

In light of the fact that you've been saying that you're done posting here for over two weeks, I have changed the title of the thread accordingly.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Sep 2, 2010, 1:08 AM)

ubu

Sep 2, 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #125 of 128 (6577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] A kind-of farewell to adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
adatesman wrote:

Guess this is my last post on RC.

In light of the fact that you've been saying that you're done posting here for over two weeks, I have changed the title of the thread accordingly.

Jay

ok, that was funny.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook