Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Dangerous area.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Boydson

Apr 4, 2010, 2:25 AM
Post #1 of 15 (6286 views)
Shortcut

Dangerous area.  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Southern_Oregon: Williamson_Cliffs)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I used to climb Williamson regulaly but I wouldn't recommend climbing there anymore. Angry native Americans have threatened to kill me multiple times for climbing there, and yes the did have guns. Last time i was there the bolts were pulled any ways. Its not safe to climb anymore.

gordy

Apr 5, 2010, 8:46 PM
Post #2 of 15 (6181 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by gordy [In reply to]
Report this Post

Boydson

Apr 5, 2010, 9:24 PM
Post #3 of 15 (6146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gordy] Dangerous area. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a local. I live about five miles south of the cliff. I always use respect and there are other things going on here. Its land issues not anything personally with climbers. Is only a friendly warning you don't have to head it if you chose not to. Whether you take my advice or not as of last August the bolts had been removed.

tyler

Apr 5, 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #4 of 15 (6120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Boydson] Dangerous area. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I've heard with some Indian tribes, if you learn a little of the language and the culture, they will accept you. And in some cases, if you learn the language well enough, they may even make you an honorary member (though this was more common practice in the 19th cen.).

wrbill

Apr 8, 2010, 6:40 AM
Post #5 of 15 (6080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are having any problems with the natives let the rangers know so that can handle it. There are some issues with the area and the natives and us climbers need to work with the rangers to make sure that the area stays open. If the natives are making threats with guns in hand then the ranges need to know. Plus if that is the case then it will not be good for the natives. SO PLEASE LET THE RANGES KNOW!

doktor_g

Apr 8, 2010, 3:53 PM
Post #6 of 15 (6025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wrbill] Dangerous area. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Boydson,
That's too bad about your interaction with the gun toting nut jobs. However, I've been working very close with the Rangers of Williamson River Cliffs and the Chiloquin Ranger District. We are very close to a managment plan. It was the USFS that pulled the bolts. Before you get mad or want to go on a rant to the Rangers, please call me. The Access Fund is involved on a Regional level with this case. The walls beyond the first pull out are closed currently anyway. Please please please talk to me or the AF before lodging a complaint. PLEASE.

My best,
Dr. Grover Shipman

doktor_g

Apr 8, 2010, 3:59 PM
Post #7 of 15 (6017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doktor_g] Dangerous area. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

For further info and my open letter to the USFS:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...4;page=unread#unread

A recent email from Greg Orton to the AF Regional Coordinator:

Joe,
Thanks for forewarding this message to me. I called Lance today, they are developing an alternative based on local climber response. Lance was very positive about th public response they've received and how well Grover in particular has been to work with in helping them develop reasonable options that he felt has the potential to maintain access to cliffs that they were planning to chop last Sept. It's not over, but I think Lanse and the local Klamath climbers deserve a tramendous amount of credit for turning this around. From the way things were headed last September, I had little hope we could turn this one arround.

Another developement on our end. About a week before Red Rocks I contacted a Forest Service mediator and proposed a mediation involving several key biologists and climbers to evaluate and develop a more reasonable Peregrine closure at the Menagerie. Yesturday I got a call back from the mediator saying the (new) Forest Supervisor and (new) District Ranger are interested. The details are still to be worked out. Would the AccessFund be interested in having someone represent it at the meeting?

I'm not sure why things are all of a sudden looking up here in Oregon, but when it comes to the Forest Service I'm a strong believer in the Butterfly Affect.

greg

Boydson

Apr 8, 2010, 6:56 PM
Post #8 of 15 (5952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is extremely comforting to hear that some one is actually working toward keeping this place open and compromising with both parties involved (the climbers and the natives) Have you been up there recently? Is it rebolted?
In reply to:

doktor_g

Apr 10, 2010, 6:23 AM
Post #9 of 15 (5900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No bolting. The second wall is closed currently until the official management plan comes out.

The AF and my proposed plan is summed up as follows:
1. Trail access only by the first gully.
2. No foot traffic or top outs on the second wall
3. Yes that means all second wall routes must be led. No topropes.
4. All route access is via the broken trail on the bottom. No cliff top walking except the first wall due to Native cultural areas.

If this is successful we (you and I and others) will rebolt the top anchors in more appropriate positions so as to discourage (prohibit) top roping. This is the best we could do and we might not even get this.

Grover

Again if you climb there now limit only to the first wall. Sport Route 5.9 on the far right and left to The Crimp 5.11+

wrbill

Apr 13, 2010, 1:34 PM
Post #10 of 15 (5831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to hear that things are going good with the Willy. It would be nice if they let the third wall get the bolts for TR and the one sport route that was there. Thanks for all your hard work Grover.

Bill

(This post was edited by wrbill on Apr 13, 2010, 1:41 PM)

Boydson

Jun 24, 2010, 12:06 AM
Post #11 of 15 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wrbill] Dangerous area. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there any news of the area being reopened. It's not that I love the climbing but since it's 15 miles away its convenient. I don't really want to climb there though until I know exactly what is happening, just so I don't mess anything up with your negotiations.

wrbill

Jun 24, 2010, 2:19 AM
Post #12 of 15 (5560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I know the first wall is open to climbing. All the areas to the north of the first wall are closed. I'm not sure so the best thing would to check with Doctor_g or the FS.

anarkhos

Jul 4, 2010, 1:01 AM
Post #13 of 15 (5491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

doktor_g wrote:
3. Yes that means all second wall routes must be led. No topropes.

As it should be!

Hell, remove all the bolts and have one or two rap stations.

The only reason I have for walking the cliff line is to retrieve anchors due to lack of a rap station :-\

chizzops

Aug 29, 2010, 7:27 AM
Post #14 of 15 (5295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anarkhos] Dangerous area. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So am I to understand that there isn't anymore sport climbing here? I don't recall much to tie off from up top, and I don't have much trad gear. Unsure

wrbill

Aug 29, 2010, 8:29 AM
Post #15 of 15 (5272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chizzops] Dangerous area. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To answer your question about the sport routes. There was only six sport routes at the Williamson. There is three routes on the 1st wall and was two routes on the 3rd wall.

Freaky 5.7 and Bold & Beautiful 5.11c/d, both of them were on the 3rd wall next to the pine tree, but all the hangers have been pulled by the Forest Rangers. All anchors on the 3rd wall have been pulled.

There is still three sport route on the 1st wall. Left Crimp 5.11?, The Crimp 5.12a?, and Elephant Express 5.10a.

With the closing of the 3rd wall down only two sport routes are gone. Plus climbing is only allowed on the 1st wall at this time till a plan can be worked out with the FS. If you have any question about the area just let me know. I have done a guide for the area.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook