RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

dirko

Dec 19, 2002, 9:09 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1771 views)
Shortcut

Webbing.... why???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It seems to me that pretty much all slacklines seems to be set up with tubular 1" webbing. This is the way I always set up my rig too.

However, I was wondering if anyone has experience using other materials for the line. Specifically 1/2" tubular or 1" flat (non-tubular) webbing. Can these materials withstand the forces generated by a line under load? Do they facilitate barefoot walking, or are they too painful? I thought that using other kinds of webbing might save some $$$. Plus I am in WA now and my line hardware is back in GA.

Right now, I only have 1/2" tubular at my disposal, so I am going to try to rig with that. I also am short on the stuff, so there is a water knot in the middle of the line, too. I will let y'all know what the dealyo is with the setup in a few days. (Hope it doesn't break!) Anyone else have experience with this area?

jetasun

Dec 19, 2002, 11:49 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1771 views)
Shortcut

Webbing.... why??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Dirk,

I've had some experience walking on different slacklines. And actually, I prefer 9/16 tubular at about 45 ft. It can be a little harder to keep tight, but it is actually more fun to ride. Swinging back and forth and bouncing. I did break one of these lines once. But it was a pretty unique scenario.

The line was on a semi-sharp edge. I watched it slowly tear over the period of about an hour. When it finally let go, I simply landed on my feet. Pretty anti-climatic.

As for flat - It actually gets kind of sharp as it get tight. You will find yourself making a conscious effort to stay clear of the line as you get off. It is pretty spring, but I never much liked the feeling.

Lastly, I have also walked on bootlace. It broke a few times, but again you're just on your feet. Stringing bootlace inside of bootlace lasts longer than it takes for you to keep having fun on it. It leaves welts.

FYI - I slackline in soft sneakers

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook