Descent off Thin Air Face
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ryanc490

Sep 20, 2010, 7:45 PM
Post #1 of 58 (9521 views)
Shortcut

Descent off Thin Air Face  (North_America: United_States: New_Hampshire: Carroll_County: Cathedral_Ledge: Thin_Air_Face)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, it's been awhile since i've been up thin air. As far as the descent goes, aren't there rap stations off to the left? One rope or two?

Thanks!

cfnubbler

Sep 20, 2010, 8:01 PM
Post #2 of 58 (9504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanc490] Descent off Thin Air Face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanc490 wrote:
Hi, it's been awhile since i've been up thin air. As far as the descent goes, aren't there rap stations off to the left? One rope or two?

Thanks!

Why note just wallk off the Airation ledge to the right and up to the road?

shoo

Sep 20, 2010, 8:05 PM
Post #3 of 58 (9499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanc490 wrote:

Thanks!

Walk off. There are numerous places up there to rap off of you absolutely insist on it, but honestly, you should just walk off.

olderic

Sep 20, 2010, 8:35 PM
Post #4 of 58 (9480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll join the pig pile - walk off like people have been doing for 50+ years.

edge

Sep 20, 2010, 8:56 PM
Post #5 of 58 (9467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cfnubbler] Descent off Thin Air Face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

cfnubbler wrote:
ryanc490 wrote:

Thanks!

This is an option, and if you hitch there is a fairly good chance of catching a ride. Otherwise, there is a trail that follows roughly the top of the cliff and takes you back near the North End Slabs. Either way we are talking 15 minutes tops at a leisurely pace.

The Thin Air face is enough of a zoo without needlessly rapping over it and risking throwing a rope in some leader's face.

altelis

Sep 20, 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #6 of 58 (9443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Descent off Thin Air Face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
cfnubbler wrote:
ryanc490 wrote:

Thanks!

This is an option, and if you hitch there is a fairly good chance of catching a ride. Otherwise, there is a trail that follows roughly the top of the cliff and takes you back near the North End Slabs. Either way we are talking 15 minutes tops at a leisurely pace.

The Thin Air face is enough of a zoo without needlessly rapping over it and risking throwing a rope in some leader's face.

ryanc490

Sep 21, 2010, 9:28 AM
Post #7 of 58 (9405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for the info... looks like I'll be walking off. Didn't realize it was such a short walk. Happy Climbing!
Smile

Gmburns2000

Sep 21, 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #8 of 58 (9381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ryanc490 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the info... looks like I'll be walking off. Didn't realize it was such a short walk. Happy Climbing!
Smile

actually, the walk is a pain in the ass, but it's better than rapping off over that face.

If you have two ropes, however, there are rap opportunities to the climber's left on a couple of different routes. One has bolt anchors (the Saigons), but that has a sketchy-when-wet slab traverse to it, and the route is also popular (though the rap from the top bolts go right of the bulk of the climb, and you can get down with one rap with two ropes). The other is off a sling on a tree, which is closer and easier to get to than the bolts on the Saigons. There are bolts below the slings, too, but I am not sure which route that is. I don't think it is as popular as either the Saigons or the Thin Air.

Walking / hitching a ride is the best option, though.

wonderwoman

Sep 21, 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #9 of 58 (9379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Descent off Thin Air Face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think walking off is a pain in the ass at all. But then again, I've usually been offered a ride from the top without even having to stick out my thumb. Wink

Gmburns2000

Sep 21, 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #10 of 58 (9377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Descent off Thin Air Face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I don't think walking off is a pain in the ass at all. But then again, I've usually been offered a ride from the top without even having to stick out my thumb. Wink

I flashed my boobs once, too, but they kept driving. Frown

Its funny because everyone I've ever done that walk with has always been like, "it's OK, we'll just walk off," and by the time we get to the 14th frigging turn with the gate still nowhere in sight the conversation tends to turn to, "where the fuck is the bottom of this thing?!?!?!" Laugh

edge

Sep 21, 2010, 1:18 PM
Post #11 of 58 (9362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Its funny because everyone I've ever done that walk with has always been like, "it's OK, we'll just walk off," and by the time we get to the 14th frigging turn with the gate still nowhere in sight the conversation tends to turn to, "where the fuck is the bottom of this thing?!?!?!" Laugh

Have you ever done the clifftop trail? No cars, occasional views of mountains and/or raptors, few people, more direct, etc.

Try it, you might like it.

wonderwoman

Sep 21, 2010, 1:30 PM
Post #12 of 58 (9353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

No, no Greg. They actually sped up.

Gmburns2000

Sep 21, 2010, 1:31 PM
Post #13 of 58 (9351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Have you ever done the clifftop trail? No cars, occasional views of mountains and/or raptors, few people, more direct, etc.

no, I haven't. the only trail down that I've ever done is the one to the Barber Wall; is the clifftop trail near that?

Gmburns2000

Sep 21, 2010, 1:32 PM
Post #14 of 58 (9350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

No, no Greg. They actually sped up.

I'm still saying that's because they were going downhill.

jakedatc

Sep 21, 2010, 1:34 PM
Post #15 of 58 (9347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

You have like a 5 minute approach at the bottom.. sack the fuck up you lazy bastard.

Gmburns2000

Sep 21, 2010, 1:52 PM
Post #16 of 58 (9336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Descent off Thin Air Face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

You have like a 5 minute approach at the bottom.. sack the fuck up you lazy bastard.

is this where I tell you that we left a car at the top yesterday?

wonderwoman

Sep 21, 2010, 1:59 PM
Post #17 of 58 (9329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Descent off Thin Air Face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

5 minutes? Are you sprinting down or something?

gmggg

Sep 21, 2010, 2:07 PM
Post #18 of 58 (9323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Approach -> the crag.

And +1 for walking off. But if you have to complain about an extremely short paved! walk off then you probably shouldn't be climbing at all.

Anyone on the west coast would be laughing there asses off if they knew the details of what you guys are talking about.

edge

Sep 21, 2010, 2:09 PM
Post #19 of 58 (9323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

no, I haven't. the only trail down that I've ever done is the one to the Barber Wall; is the clifftop trail near that?

No, not near that at all. In fact that one kinda sucks in comparison.

The trail I am referring to begins in the neighborhood of Thin Air's top and goes climbers right. You can pick it up pretty much from the top of any of the climbs right of Thin Air.

edge

Sep 21, 2010, 2:11 PM
Post #20 of 58 (9321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Descent off Thin Air Face [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Approach -> the crag.

And +1 for walking off. But if you have to complain about an extremely short paved! walk off then you probably shouldn't be climbing at all.

Anyone on the west coast would be laughing there asses off if they knew the details of what you guys are talking about.

I doubt it. One of those left coast punters put cables on the back side of Half Dome. They thought just because you can't see them from the Awahnee then we wouldn't find out, but we did.

Gmburns2000

Sep 21, 2010, 2:24 PM
Post #21 of 58 (9309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

No, not near that at all. In fact that one kinda sucks in comparison.

The trail I am referring to begins in the neighborhood of Thin Air's top and goes climbers right. You can pick it up pretty much from the top of any of the climbs right of Thin Air.

OK, that's interesting. Obviously I know those trails, but I wasn't aware any of them continued down the cliff. I assume they come out near the top of the North End then and follow the road down without actually being on the road?

gmggg

Sep 21, 2010, 2:25 PM
Post #22 of 58 (9305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
gmggg wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Approach -> the crag.

I doubt it. One of those left coast punters put cables on the back side of Half Dome. They thought just because you can't see them from the Awahnee then we wouldn't find out, but we did.

Hmm.. good example, I thought some one was going to bring up pikes peak or another paved mountaintop.

Still, one of my favorite memories from moving out here was the first time I climbed Mt. Washington. I didn't know anything about it other than it was a popular mountaineering spot. Started out the hike in at midnight on a clear dark night by morning a bit of weather was coming in. I was thoroughly enjoying myself with some very very stiff winds and some fun easy climbing. Then I got to the top... About a week later I started to notice all the bumper stickers.

jakedatc

Sep 21, 2010, 2:29 PM
Post #23 of 58 (9295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Approach -> the crag.

west coast.. east coast.. anywhere. It is a paved road. down hill.. quit your bitching. Should probably just quit climbing now

Gmburns2000

Sep 21, 2010, 2:31 PM
Post #24 of 58 (9292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Approach -> the crag.

that road is a lot less extremely short than you might think it is...and it's more than 15min from the top to the car. It's about a mile from pooper to pooper.

btw - slightly off topic, but I discovered Hurrincane Mtn Rd last night on the drive back (I was experimenting with drive-home routes) and that is a kick-ass road! The drive down, at night, with no one else on the road, was unbelievable! This may be where I say I was lucky to have not hit a deer, but still, wow, what a thrilling ride down the back side of that mountain!

jakedatc

Sep 21, 2010, 2:36 PM
Post #25 of 58 (9288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
gmggg wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Approach -> the crag.

that road is a lot less extremely short than you might think it is...and it's more than 15min from the top to the car. It's about a mile from pooper to pooper.

Awwww. do you need someone to hold your hand so you don't slip and fall too? Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook