RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

superstu

Sep 26, 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2704 views)
Shortcut

old yosemite climbing film
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Back in about 1994ish I saw a video playing at a local climbing gym (VHS of course) of some climbing in Yosemite. I can't recall the climber's names but I'm sure they are well known. From vague memory the film was in B&W, but I may be mistaken (it was 15 yrs ago). Any way they climbed Wheat Thin, Butterballs and Separate Reality. On SR the leader hooked his feet on the lip and let go with both arms. I was very new to climbing when I saw this film and it was a great inspiration to me, in fact the following year I booked my air ticket to San Fran and made the pilgrimage to Yosemite when everybody else was heading to Europe to clip bolts in limestone. I would love to track down a copy of this film. Anybody know the name or how I might come by a copy? Thanks.

moose_droppings

Sep 26, 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superstu] old yosemite climbing film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

superstu wrote:
Back in about 1994ish I saw a video playing at a local climbing gym (VHS of course) of some climbing in Yosemite. I can't recall the climber's names but I'm sure they are well known. From vague memory the film was in B&W, but I may be mistaken (it was 15 yrs ago). Any way they climbed Wheat Thin, Butterballs and Separate Reality. On SR the leader hooked his feet on the lip and let go with both arms. I was very new to climbing when I saw this film and it was a great inspiration to me, in fact the following year I booked my air ticket to San Fran and made the pilgrimage to Yosemite when everybody else was heading to Europe to clip bolts in limestone. I would love to track down a copy of this film. Anybody know the name or how I might come by a copy? Thanks.

You might have better luck asking that question over at SuperTopo. They're more up on whats gone down at Yosemite.

You may get lucky here too though, doesn't hurt to cast a wider net.

timm

Sep 27, 2010, 12:08 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superstu] old yosemite climbing film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe you are referring to the one with Johnny Woodward and Herman Wing. If so, I use to own it (but can't seem to find it) I remember seeing it still for sale a few years ago in the gift shop at the Yosemite Lodge. The climbing parts were pretty good but overall the production and some of the scenes (especially the Camp 4 scenes) were really silly. Sorry, I can't recall the exact name of the video but hopefully the names of the climbers will help you track it down.

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook