Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Good/Safe places to rappell at Sand Rock?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jabberfolk

Oct 4, 2010, 6:11 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Good/Safe places to rappell at Sand Rock?  (North_America: United_States: Alabama: Northern: Sandrock__Cherokee_Rock_Village_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am taking a handful of boy scouts, (don't worry, I'm not going to lay siege to the rocks with 30 boys, just 6 whippersnappers) and I need 3 safe/easy accessible places for them to rappell from. Any beta would be much appreciated. Looking for routes/places that are not climbed much so not to piss off fellow climbers.
thx
-David

hhelbein

Oct 4, 2010, 7:12 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jabberfolk] Good/Safe places to rappell at Sand Rock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are some cliffs right behind the camping spots along the road that might be suitable. There's definitely spots without established routes (or at least not busy) and that would have good gear or tree anchoring opportunities at the top.

If you are rapping an area and see some of those open aluminum shunts, I would make my own anchor, or pick a different spot. (Nightmares of a boy scout bouncing an biner or rope out of them....)

Palisades Park nearby would probably also be good for this, although I don't think there is camping there.

I've seen people rapping at Mt. Yonah, GA as well if looking for another suggestion.

-hch

jabberfolk

Oct 4, 2010, 9:26 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hhelbein] Good/Safe places to rappell at Sand Rock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the quick reply. Right next to the road there there's got to be something that most people don't climb on. Need to have it somewhere they can walk up afterwards though. I'll scope the book later on.

Good note on the shunts, that will make for a good discussion with the boys. There's plenty of natural anchors up there so we'll definitely back up everything regardless if the bolt was put in/replaced yesterday.

I misread the merit badge requirements, they only have to rap from 1 place 3 times, not 3 different spots. That will speed the rappelling requirement up significantly.

Sandrock is the closest descent climbing area for us. This group will have plenty of climbing for years to come at Sandrock and at Rocktown.
-David

petsfed

Oct 4, 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hhelbein] Good/Safe places to rappell at Sand Rock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hhelbein wrote:
If you are rapping an area and see some of those open aluminum shunts, I would make my own anchor

?

Oh you mean an open cold-shut. They are shut when cold (as opposed to during forging, or with welding), thus cold-shut.

While they are super sketchy, once you've got them loaded, it takes one hell of an impact to bounce the rope out of them.

hhelbein

Oct 5, 2010, 4:50 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Good/Safe places to rappell at Sand Rock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh, Yes, I meant "shut". The few I've seen at Sand Rock(on the Pinnacle) seem especially sketchy.

Another rap option may be in one the cave/grotto area behind the Sun Wall. I seem to remember a spot around the corner from the route Faith that you could scramble up to relatively safely..

USnavy

Oct 5, 2010, 4:54 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [] Good/Safe places to rappell at Sand Rock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whippersnappers? The last person I heard say that was 90, and it was back in the 80's....

jolery

Oct 6, 2010, 5:12 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jabberfolk] Good/Safe places to rappell at Sand Rock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jabberfolk wrote:
I am taking a handful of boy scouts, (don't worry, I'm not going to lay siege to the rocks with 30 boys, just 6 whippersnappers) and I need 3 safe/easy accessible places for them to rappell from. Any beta would be much appreciated. Looking for routes/places that are not climbed much so not to piss off fellow climbers.
thx
-David

It never gets old posting this...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook