Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
PA climbing...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

altelis

Oct 3, 2010, 2:10 AM
Post #1 of 6 (6033 views)
Shortcut

PA climbing...  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, so I'm a busy student in DC with very little time to get out. I have good friends up in New Haven who are in a very similar circumstances (why ELSE would people be in DC or New Haven other than school)....

Anyways, my wife and I were originally going to go to Seneca to climb next weekend but turns out our friends have a free weekend too so we were hoping to find somewhere in the middle we could climb. PA seems the obvious choice.

What are peoples suggestions? We'd love to find a place with single pitch primarily sport (some trad is no problem), relatively easy camping close by, and relatively dog friendly. Climbs in the 6-11 range would be great. Both our dogs are very well behaved and are really good craggin dogs. Unfortunately, theirs has become an even better crag dog since it got Lyme disease a few years ago and is a little less energetic now Unsure

I've never been but was thinking Birdsboro, only place that I really heard mentioned a few times 'round here. Its just about 3.5-4 hrs from both of us. Looks like a wide range of grades. Just didn't know about camping/dogs....

Any other suggestions?

Cheers.

gblauer

Oct 3, 2010, 3:26 AM
Post #2 of 6 (6015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] PA climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sent you a PM

hhelbein

Oct 4, 2010, 7:16 PM
Post #3 of 6 (5937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] PA climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been to Birdsboro once in the last 6 months and my brother's family climbs there a lot. Seems like lots of fun routes, but I'm not sure there aren't better options for you within 4-6 hours driving.

When I was there, we had to cross two creeks using steel cable bridges. Might be an issue for the dog. I'm not sure if there is another way to get to the quarry.

-hch

altelis

Oct 4, 2010, 7:26 PM
Post #4 of 6 (5931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hhelbein] PA climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely appreciate the help. There are certainly better places for the drive- Seneca is only 3 hrs from here. But west of here. Part of the goal is to see good friends we don't get to see often and as they are 6 hrs north east driving 3 hrs south west of us doesn't seem fair or feasible.

We're making the best of our geography. And I can tell you I'm going to have to work like a dog this week to even take a single day off of studying, so I'm not really able to go farther than ~3 hrs.

And I heard about those cables. Both our dogs are a) accustomed to swimming white water and b) herd dogs that are quite agile so my thought is one way or another it shouldn't be a problem. Plus the word from up high is that getting to the crag isn't a problem with dogs.

gerbil

Oct 4, 2010, 7:28 PM
Post #5 of 6 (5928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hhelbein] PA climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you can get in from the other side without any of the cable crossings. besides, just pick the dog up and throw him in the creek... its a dog

hhelbein

Oct 4, 2010, 7:37 PM
Post #6 of 6 (5920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gerbil] PA climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gerbil wrote:
you can get in from the other side without any of the cable crossings. besides, just pick the dog up and throw him in the creek... its a dog

Good to know. The cables were the best part of the day for my son, anyway.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook