RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

mrhardgrit

Dec 20, 2002, 1:23 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1850 views)
Shortcut

New Hampshire Big Walls??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm heading out to NH after Christmas to do some skiing and was wondering if there was any worthwhile bigwalls/aid climbing?

I know there's loads of good sport climbing and ice climbing etc. Only found a place called "Cannon" which seems to be of any decent size. All seems free climbing though.

Any thoughts anyone??

Tom

Partner jules

Dec 20, 2002, 1:29 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1850 views)
Shortcut

New Hampshire Big Walls?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Never been there myself, but I've heard real good things about Cannon.

aid312

Dec 20, 2002, 1:38 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Tom,
There are quite a few good aid lines up on Cannon. However the weather up there is going to be pretty bad up there at that time. I would definately try and make your way over to Cathedral ledge. It is only about an hours drive from there and an ok selection of aid routes rated anywhere from A1 to A5. The routes on Cathedral are usually only four pitches and Cannon has some that are around ten or so pitches.
If you need some more specific info send me a PM and i"ll be glad to suggest some good routes for you.

Cheers,

Brett

madclimberboy

Dec 20, 2002, 1:43 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could try Cathedral or Whitehorse ledge (about 5-6 pitches at most) in North Conway. Depending of course on weather, how much snow there is and if you do both ice and rock climbing. Cannon is a great place to go,considering it is the biggest wall in New England (I haven't been there yet). It really all depends on weather. Check out www.neclimbs.com. They'll most likely have weather conditions and condition of the rock and you can always get a forecast from weather.com or something. The cliff is probably at least worth a look, especially if you have a lot of time on your hands.

Matt

nite_climber

Dec 20, 2002, 2:08 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the aid routes will go in the winter or the summer on Cathedral. As stated earlier, their is a nice range. Depending on the weather, many of the aid lines freeze up on Cannon, but some of the aid lines, since they are exposed to the sun, do not get as much ice, but they still may be wet. You would be much better off on Cathedral, but be ready for some bad weather that can come in fast. Both Cathedral and Cannon are on the opposite side from where the weather comes from, so you cannot see a storm coming until it is on top of you.

Good luck, be careful, and have fun.

lmorton

Dec 20, 2002, 2:26 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

New Hampshire + Winter = C-O-L-D

Partner tim

Dec 20, 2002, 2:42 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mshore, are you gonna say it or should I?

There are a handful of classic (well, classic for New England) walls on Cathedral and Cannon; look in the Webster guide (3rd edition for Cathedral, 2nd if you can find it for Cannon, or else see 'Secrets of the Notch' or the Wilcox guide).

I lived up there for a while prior to moving to California, which was prior to taking leave of my senses and moving to DC. The Mordor Wall is pretty 'rad', overhanging for 2 pitches and very exposed. Each year a few nutjobs try and do it in winter

Bring tools, that's all Uwe Schneider had to say. 5.7 A4 WI5 according to him, I'm thinking some 'bulge removal' techniques could bring it back down to C3 with luck.

mrhardgrit

Dec 24, 2002, 2:11 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks very much for your help and advice guys!! Much appreciated...

Tom

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook